Menu

if your student did Singapore 1-6, how did you finish the sequence?

If your student did Singapore 1-6, would you be willing to share the resources you used 7th-12th?

We're finishing 6B right now, and I'm not sure what to do next.

I have 2 students in the same grade; they haven't learned anything NEW in 6A/6B at all, but the review has been right on target difficulty-wise. I've been researching this, and it seems that most books for 7th-8th graders either review over and over, or kick the challenge level up significantly (AoPS, for example). I know I probably just need to pick one and dive in, but - I'm searching for that perfect balance (that Singapore has always been for us) of new / challenging material interspersed with harder-reviews-of-things-we-already-know.

(I know this is a First World Problem - there are so many good options!)

After SM 1-6 for one boy and 1-5 for another, both went successfully into AoPS pre-A and completed it.  This year, one of them needed a different approach for Algebra and is now in an online Algebra class with Jann in Texas.  The other one has continued successfully with AoPS Algebra ,self-taught at home. 

I will go out on a limb and say that even for not so mathy kids, I kind of like AoPS pre-A.  It will not be a fit for every single kid, but it provides a good foundation and some problem solving skills that, IMO, scaffold very nicely from Singapore.  My average student did just fine with it, though I will say that his strength is math.  I think that most kids could then go on to a variety of different Algebra programs with a strong foundation.

• Like 2

My boys did SM EB-6. We started with the first edition of DM 7, but switched to Dolciani's PreAlgebra: An Accelerated Approach because I knew I wanted to use the Dolciani Algebra1/Geometry/Algebra 2 sequence.  It's worked out well for us.

• Like 1

… it seems that most books for 7th-8th graders either review over and over, or kick the challenge level up significantly (AoPS, for example). I know I probably just need to pick one and dive in...

Sounds like your students are still young enough, what about a semester, or a year, of Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra to get up to speed with AoPS methods? Or the Keys To Algebra series as a light intro to Algebra? I know that 8FillTheHeart uses MUS Algebra as a light intro and then moves on to more rigorous Algebra programs...

Singapore does have options up through the higher maths, although, alas, they are just now this year going out of print. But you can pick them up used, and run with Singapore, if you feel fairly confident in your math skills and you have a strong math student. Singapore NEM (New Elementary Math) series is esp. good for those going into STEM fields, with a lot of great problem solving. The DM (Discovering Mathematics) series is less rigorous.

Our experience was from about 8-10 years back, and a TON of new math programs and options -- esp. online classes! -- are now available to families that weren't out yet for us… But in answer to your question, we did Sngapore up through 6A/B, and then: half Singapore NEM1, and, half Saxon Algebra 1/2 skim review; Jacobs Algebra 1 and Jacobs Geometry; Foerster's Algebra 2 / Trig.

Below are some of the more frequently used options. BEST of luck in deciding! Warmest regards, Lori D.

More rigorous options include:

- Mary Dolciani (Algebra 1, Algebra 2)

- Art of Problem Solving  (Pre-Algebra through Calculus)

- Chalkdust (Algebra 1 through Calculus; video-based lessons)

Traditional textbook options

- Harold Jacobs (Algebra 1, Geometry; supplement: Dr. Callahan DVDs)

- Margaret Lial (pre-algebra through pre calculus; supplement: Digital video tutor)

- Paul Foerster (Algebra 1 through Precalc/Trig -- supplement: Math without Borders)

- Ron Larson (Pre-Algebra through Calculus; online support)
- Bob Jones (Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calc)
- Abeka (Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calc)

Options for VS-learners, math-challenged students, or if wanting a different perspective
- Kinetic Books (Pre-Algebra through Algebra 2)
- Math-U-See (Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calc, and "Stewardship" personal finance)
- Life of Fred (pre-Algebra through Statistics)

Options with video tutorial component or supplement:

- Saxon (Pre-Algebra through Calculus; supplement: DIVE CDs, Teaching Tape Technology videos)

- Teaching Textbooks (Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calculus)

Online Courses (many use Saxon)

- My Homeschool Math Class, Jann Perkins (of WTM Board!)

- Derek Owens (uses Saxon; Pre-Algebra to Calculus and AP)

Self-Paced Tutorial style classes

- ALEKS  (Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calc/Trig)

- Tablet Class (Pre-Alg. through Alg. 2)

- Thinkwell (Pre-Alg. to through Calculus)

Miscellaneous

- dual enrollment for the higher maths is also an option

• Like 2

I am only up to 7th Grade, but we switched to Dolciani. We just finished PreAlgebra and are starting Dolciani Algebra. I use the old Dolcianis that include set theory, they are a good follow on.

I may use AoPS with my son, but Dolciani is the perfect level of difficulty for my daughter. Singapore 6 was also a good review for her.

• Like 1

We started DM but needed to switch to a less mom led approach. We landed on Saxon Algebra 1 using the Virtual Homeschool Group's online at your own pace course. Once the WTM Academy announced their Aops Algebra 1 class for next year we started testing through Keys to Algebra which is mostly review and working through Aops prealgebra which is much less intimidating now than before Saxon. If Aops doesn't work for you, Saxon is a good place to hang out for a while. It is solid but incremental and doesn't overwhelm a young algebra student.

• Like 1

We tried aops preA and Singapore maths 7A both of which were a fail. We have found MEP secondary a perfect fit in challenge. My ds also loves the 2 week rotation of topics with 6 week unit reviews, and the more practical nature if the work compared to aops.

Ruth in NZ

My boys did SM EB-6. We started with the first edition of DM 7, but switched to Dolciani's PreAlgebra: An Accelerated Approach because I knew I wanted to use the Dolciani Algebra1/Geometry/Algebra 2 sequence.  It's worked out well for us.

This is basically what we did.  Go to PreAlgebra, and then onto Dociani for Algebra 1/Geometry/Algebra 2/Advanced Math (PreCalc), followed by Larson (Chalkdust) for Calc.  This sequence led to excellent math SAT scores and success in college Calculus.

Brenda

Not looking forward to making this decision - DS is mathy, so part of me thinks I should just go ahead and use the college textbooks I already have when he's ready for Algebra, because I can certainly help him work through those at whatever pace works for him, but that would overlook a lot of the geometry he'll need for the SAT