Menu

Ignore this thread!

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Yet again, I have ITT regulations to thank for my survival.  I just sent a very difficult email that dh helped me write to make sure I worded things well.  Whew.  I have been avoiding it for several days.  All done.  

Yay for help and boo for difficult letters. Glad you got it done.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mama25angels said:

Krissi-what are you using for history and for what age group?  I think I might have a plan!

I am using Nottgrass for everyone this year. And I am also using all their literature selections for literature this year instead of a separate reading program. At least for my oldest 2.

Oldest DS whom I am homeschooling as a second year 8th grader- Uncle Sam and You. He has enjoyed Nottgrass. As I said before, I wouldn’t consider Nottgrass a rigorous curriculum, and I just got US & You, and it really isn’t rigorous at all. But.... I think it is a high interest curriculum. DS really struggles, but since we’ve started Nottgrass, he likes history, he is retaining it and enjoys doing it.

Oldest DD (7th grader) - From Adam to Us.

Younger DDs (2nd grade and 4th grade)- we’re doing the new Nottgrass that I haven’t even gotten yet. It’s supposed to get here at the end of the month. We had been doing SOTW the past 2 years and I love it, but I think they are getting a little burned out. I didn’t have time to pull together the extras (even with Slashie’s great lesson plans), so it was reading and copywork, basically. 

• Like 4

Got a text from SIL "Just so you know whenever we have kids, the names we want so you dont do them are... " What am I supposed to do with that? She picked one of my favorite names.

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

((Slashie)) I like celebrations of life so much better than funerals.

How is Mary feeling this morning?

Playing. She got up once last night which is abnormal but is otherwise run of the mill Mooies.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Good morning. Caffeine and a side of red pens please. All mine are out of ink now. I am finishing the editing on Chapter 10 today and then I am cleaning my house. It's scary in here.

Did you watch your commas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Got a text from SIL "Just so you know whenever we have kids, the names we want so you dont do them are... " What am I supposed to do with that? She picked one of my favorite names.

Playing. She got up once last night which is abnormal but is otherwise run of the mill Mooies.

Choice a)  Get pregnant immediately and use the name.  

Choice b)  Reply "Sorry, you can't reserve names."

Choice c)  Completely ignore her.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think that my printer is dead.  I'm hoping that dh can bring it back to life.

I took dd7 to the eye doctor earlier this week.  She no longer needs bifocals!  :party:

I am still sunburned.  Aloe and Advil are my friends.  ?  The pain is actually similar to the pain that I typically have with arthritis and migraines, so it really isn't that terrible.  I'm used to it.  ?

My summer reading is going well.  Right now I'm in the middle of The Song of the Lark, The Good Earth, and The Phantom of the Opera.  I'm enjoying all three.  I didn't mean to get involved with three books at the same time.  It just kind of happened.  :)

And I think that it might be naptime...

Edited by Junie
While "I" and "my" rhyme, they do not have the same meaning. ;)
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Are you serious???? Who does that???

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Choice a)  Get pregnant immediately and use the name.  

Choice b)  Reply "Sorry, you can't reserve names."

Choice c)  Completely ignore her.  

I’d go for choice (a) if I were you!! Ha!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Tell her to take it up with the patent office, LOL. (I.e., gently make it clear that you won't take that seriously, any more than if you announced you were renting a car and going on vacation and she called shotgun.)

Tempting if you want to raise the snark level (but I wouldn't really do it): To make a statement about it at low cost, adopt a fish by that name tomorrow and introduce the new member of the family on Facebook in the most spectacular fashion possible. Get all your friends to congratulate you on the new addition so that your post keeps showing up.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Are you serious???? Who does that???

I’d go for choice (a) if I were you!! Ha!

I know!

Yes!

45 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I love commas. They are my favorite punctuation mark.

I like semicolons but I'm not confident enough to use them regularly. Commas are my second pick.

32 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Tell her to take it up with the patent office, LOL. (I.e., gently make it clear that you won't take that seriously, any more than if you announced you were renting a car and going on vacation and she called shotgun.)

Tempting if you want to raise the snark level (but I wouldn't really do it): To make a statement about it at low cost, adopt a fish by that name tomorrow and introduce the new member of the family on Facebook in the most spectacular fashion possible. Get all your friends to congratulate you on the new addition so that your post keeps showing up.

I said "Isaac is already on our list. We aren't restricting our name choices based on what you might name your kids. Besides, it doesn't matter if two cousins have the same name."

She said "lol ok."

• Like 3

It's only 4:00 and I'm beat.  Except I can't be done for the day because I have two giant pots of turkey broth going and I'm going to need some magic of Harry Potter proportions to get all the stuff in my fridge tonight that needs to get in there.

For some unknowable reason, I lost all common sense and allowed the two neighbor boys to come with us to the Old Lady Party.  Really, they did pretty well.  But I'm now tired of people.  Fortunately, the kids want to go busking on the square for the First Friday Art Crawl, so the house will be somewhat empty for at least a couple hours tonight.

I have nothing planned for dinner.  Maybe they'd go for a nice hot mug of turkey broth.  :blink:

• Like 4

I am being a good mom. Which goes entirely against my grain. I have a pile of kids in my house. I made fresh lemonade and chocolate chip cookies. DS1 has a girl in his room. But they’re just friends and the door is open. That’s ok, right? Or should I make them come in the living space. The bedroom is ‘t Down a hall or anything. It’s very visible. I am so inept when it comes to navigating teenagers. Plus three other neighbor kids are here. Playing the Wii. It’s not that I don’t like kids. It’s just ..... I don’t like noise. But i’m Reading the book “The Gospel Comes with a Housekey” by Rosaria Butterfield. And it is just fantastic. (Just stirs up all my longings to be Presbyterian again, but that’s a whole nother thing) But it’s about hospitality. Anyhow, I am trying to be hospitable. And welcoming. As I am hiding out in my bedroom. But, I gave them food and welcomed them. They are happy.

Edited by KrissiK
Used the wrong pronoun.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm torn over feeling guilty about giving my family cereal to eat for dinner.  But sorta I don't care.  This is where you pat me on the head and say, "There, there.  We've all been there."  :biggrin:

ETA: we have a bit of leftovers, but I'm saving that for dh and ds23 if they'd prefer them over cereal.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm torn over feeling guilty about giving my family cereal to eat for dinner.  But sorta I don't care.  This is where you pat me on the head and say, "There, there.  We've all been there."  :biggrin:

ETA: we have a bit of leftovers, but I'm saving that for dh and ds23 if they'd prefer them over cereal.

There, there. We’ve all been there.

Well, i’m Sure some of us have been there.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I am being a good mom. Which goes entirely against my grain. I have a pile of kids in my house. I made fresh lemonade and chocolate chip cookies. DS1 has a girl in his room. But they’re just friends and the door is open. That’s ok, right? Or should I make them come in the living space. The bedroom is ‘t Down a hall or anything. It’s very visible. I am so inept when it comes to navigating teenagers. Plus three other neighbor kids are here. Playing the Wii. It’s not that I don’t like kids. It’s just ..... I don’t like noise. But i’m Reading the book “The Gospel Comes with a Housekey” by Rosaria Butterfield. And it is just fantastic. (Just stirs up all my longings to be Presbyterian again, but that’s a whole nother thing) But it’s about hospitality. Anyhow, I am trying to be hospitable. And welcoming. As I am hiding out in my bedroom. But, I gave them food and welcomed them. They are happy.

Twinsies.  (Except I'm still Presbyterian.  Come back to the Dark Side.  :biggrin:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Twinsies.  (Except I'm still Presbyterian.  Come back to the Dark Side.  :biggrin:)

I would love to. Except the closest Presbyterian Church is in the Big City - 45 minutes away. So, I will remain Presbyterian in my heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Breakfast and dinner are interchangeable. We had pancakes tonight.

• Like 3

I’m folding laundry and watching Hawaii Five-0 (starting over at the beginning because I finished Season 8 and I have an incredible crush on Steve McGarrett)and doing laps in my bedroom to try to get my steps up and it’s too @#$& hot outside to go for a walk.

• Like 4

I'm gonna give the broth another hour to simmer and then call it done.  I made extra room in the fridge by eating grapes and putting cooked turkey in the vegetable drawer.  Tomorrow will be the serious soup-making.  And I need to stop at the library and pick up the books I reserved which includes 5 versions/adaptations of Beowulf.  All different from the 2 we already have at home.  What is wrong with me?!?  

• Like 4

Just now, Susan in TN said:

I'm gonna give the broth another hour to simmer and then call it done.  I made extra room in the fridge by eating grapes and putting cooked turkey in the vegetable drawer.  Tomorrow will be the serious soup-making.  And I need to stop at the library and pick up the books I reserved which includes 5 versions/adaptations of Beowulf.  All different from the 2 we already have at home.  What is wrong with me?!?  

What IS wrong with you, Susan?? And why Beowulf?? That is one Gory Story!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only versions of Beowulf my library has are a graphic novel and Wishbone.  :svengo:

I requested one a year or so ago.  Still waiting.

Susan, when you finish looking through them, will you share your opinion?  I'm thinking about buying *one* version -- I don't want to buy 5.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I just don't know.  I actually forgot to eat lunch today.  FORGOT!!  Svengo.

I am always getting Beowulf and Gilgamesh mixed up.

They are both rather gory. And Gilgamesh also has the.... er..... other stuff.  That they left out of the children’s version.

• Like 2

I'm going to bed too!

Kids finished writing camp today.  Much fun was had by all!

And we saw Christopher Robin tonight and really enjoyed it.

Krissi, you're an awesome Mom.  I don't like the noise either.  I'm too scared to read the book.  I'm half Presbyterian and half a kind of Baptist you've never heard of.  

Ed po:  I bought school supplies today.  Then I sorted texts and books and supplies by kid and boxed them up.  I have 4 boxes ready for unveiling sometime next week.  (Except for ds's calculus book which I will order next week.  And one literature book - for an outsourced class - that was backordered that we're still waiting on.)  So, we're nearly ready.  I think we're starting the 13th.  (Ack!  We normally start earlier than that!)

• Like 4