Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Sunday!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Church!!⛪ï¸â›ªï¸â›ªï¸ðŸ’•ðŸ’•ðŸ’•

Don’t take risks on treacherous roads!!! Although here in California, the sky is blue, not a cloud in it. And the mountains are brown and dusty and dry.😩😩😩😩😩

• Like 4

I have never been successful starting seeds. I just go to the nursery and get pots.

I'm pretty good at it. It's one of my bright spots, I guess. It helps to have very good seeds, plenty of light and heat. I sprout the tomatoes and peppers in the oven. I plant them, turn on the oven light and close the door and wait. Of course, one has to remember to get the plants out if one plans to use the oven...

• Like 4

Also, if I want heirloom varieties, I pretty much have to start my plants. Our local selection isn't very good because they only want varieties that can handle the heat. That's fine, but I like to experiment. So starting tomatoes and peppers from seed is just part of the process.

• Like 2

My art teacher is as bad as I am. We are already discussing bringing all our seeds to class and having a seed swap. I have tobacco seed (I love the flowers) and cotton. Our class weaver grows cotton, and she brought me brown cotton and green cotton. I need to start those plants because they have a long growing season too.

• Like 5

I'm evidently in a good mood this morning. The sun is shining, the sky is blue and the maples are golden with goldfinches. :001_smile: Also the maple buds are opening. The bees will be here soon. Every water hole is hosting frog choruses. It might be the end of February, and as cold as winter, but spring has his foot in the door.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

I'm evidently in a good mood this morning. The sun is shining, the sky is blue and the maples are golden with goldfinches. :001_smile: Also the maple buds are opening. The bees will be here soon. Every water hole is hosting frog choruses. It might be the end of February, and as cold as winter, but spring has his foot in the door.

#dangimouttalikes

Would you consider an 8yo a tween? A local mom wants to start a tween book club 3rd Grade and up. I always thought tween was 10-12. There’s a pretty big difference between an 8year old and a 10 year old! And a huge difference between an 8 year old and a 12 year old! I mean they can play together, certainly, but book discussions I think would be either boring or frustrating for the older kid.

I've seen people sometimes include 9yos, but 8? That seems a bit extreme. Especially for something like a book club... most of the tween stuff I've seen around here are less academic, so age matters less. 

As a side note, if you say 3rd grade and up, you'll probably end up with even younger kids. For one, Broccoli will be 7.75yo when he starts 3rd grade because we have a late cut-off (Dec 1st), and he was born in mid/late November (I get that your cut-off may be earlier, but if, say, we were to move to a state with a different cut-off, I wouldn't change his grade). But even aside from that, some people will have grade-skipped kids, either because they were in school and the school skipped them before they decided to homeschool, or because the parents just decided to skip them even though there isn't much of a point in homeschool. In other words, if you say 3rd grade and up, you might have one or more kids under 8. 

And while I think Broccoli is quite competent (he certainly can read stuff well above grade level), I don't think a book club with 12yos is something that would be a great fit. Though when I look at stuff like that, and it says tweens/3rd grade and up, I wouldn't be inclined to sign up a 12yo, out of fear that it'd just be skewing too young. 12yos are 7th graders... they don't need to be in a club that reads and discusses 3rd grade books (which by necessity it'd have to be, since you can't really get a kid who reads at a 3rd grade level to read 7th grade materials). So, yeah... all that is to say that for a tween book club, I'd definitely make it 5th grade and up, no lower. There's such a big difference between 3rd and 5th grade level books anyway.

• Like 2

Btw, I do get that you can listen to audiobooks to circumvent the issue of reading ability... and we do often listen to books aimed at 5th-6th graders in the car... but, there are some I avoid because of heavier themes (not many... but still... there are things I'd listen to with a 11-12yo that are a no-go for my younger kid (who, admittedly, won't be in 3rd grade until half a year from now, but, I doubt half a year is going to make that big of a difference)).

Last year was our last year doing easter eggs. I always put candy in them. The kids are getting too big though - I tried to find camo eggs last year instead of the brightly colored ones we had, but couldn't, and decided enough is enough. I know I could look for camo ones again this year (I'd seen them in the store when the kids were little, back when camo would've been too hard), but nope. Just done. 

• Like 2

I'd like, but I'm out of likes.

Imma go make a chocolate pie and plan school.

ETA: Also, I get seed mix today. We get to start tomatoes, peppers and cacti!

All ya'll talking about planting, and we don't even start indoor seedlings until early April...

• Like 2

Edpo alert!

Anyone else following both the “rethinking school†thread (and listened to the linked talk) and the educational neglect thread? Is it just me or does it seem some like some people are setting the bar so high on the second thread that some of the things SWB is recommending as out of the box ideas would count as educational neglect to them?

I guess I should stop swimming in the sea.

I haven't read the rethinking school thread yet (I think I maybe read a couple of posts? not sure), but yes, some people in the neglect thread are setting the bar too high (though, at least one of them also said that they think at least as many kids are neglected in schools). On the one hand, I like definitions featuring the word 'potential', and on the other hand, I don't. I think it's neglectful to have a kid sit in a classroom 6+ hours/day having to listen to stuff they already taught themselves years ago. Maybe the word neglectful is the wrong word for that though. Maybe cruel or something would be better. Neglectful is when you don't attempt to give a kid the minimum amount of skills they'll need to be successful as an adult. So, while some people on that thread would define my inconsistent schooling as neglectful, because my kids might not be reaching their potential, I feel like with them scoring >90th percentile (youngest even for the grade above his real grade), I'm not neglecting giving them the skills they need in life. Plus, I'm not making them do stuff they already know - if they want to, they can read books etc on more advanced stuff or w/e. But, I'm sure they could be more advanced if I were more consistent. 

• Like 1

I churched. And i’m Mad. Not at church, but every Sunday oldest DD comes home with tales of her out of control 5th/6th grade SS class. The teacher is the jr. high youth director and a great guy. He seriously is, but he’s young and a nice guy. And I know some of the kids in DD’s class.... they need a firm hand. One kid I remember having to nail him time and time again in VBS last summer because he just wouldn’t settle down. And some of the girls, while I think they are nice girls in general, they have a tendency to push the boundaries if the adult in charge isn’t firmly in charge. Anyhow, DH suggested I offer my services as “policeman†in that class, which I will probably do. I think the teacher’s wife is in there, occasionally, but she’s very nice, too. I am not nice. Well, I can be, but I also don’t put up with carp.

• Like 7

JJM, the answer I gave you is the real way to round.

In practice, I round generously.  89.45 and above rounds to 89.5 rounds to 90.

I remember one of my high school teachers doing that to me once (I think it was like a 8.48 rounded to a 9 (on a 10 point scale) - not sure). Most teachers would round that down though. Either way, most teachers did the standard rounding of numbers, not flooring them, so yes, 89.5 = 90, not 89. 

• Like 1

Grading on a curve was rare in high school, iirc. It seems to be pretty common in college in the US though, and I'm guessing probably also in high school in the US? Anyway, point being that there isn't one firm rule of "you get this score on a test, you get this grade" that applies to all classes everywhere. Of course, you'd want to watch out for artificially inflating scores just because you want to... just saying I wouldn't be overly rigid about things either. 

Btw, I do think it'd be better for the kids if I were to be more consistent... part of the reason I read those threads is because every so many posts I tend to think "hm, I should probably go do something with the kids". :leaving:  

I'm ketchupped. 

I took this past week off (it's early spring break here). Of course, on Wednesday I got sick... I think viral pinkeye (just my right eye), which can have cold symptoms to accompany it. I was all shaky on and off on Thursday-Saturday... I seem to be doing a bit better today, but I did wake up with a sore throat and still needing water to unshut my eye. Blegh. 

• Like 3

I think anyone who cares enough about their child's education to do something as radical as homeschool, and then care enough about that to spend their free time on these boards to learn and better themselves, is not neglectful.

So, yes, there are cases of homeschool educational neglect. But I think in many of those cases, the neglect and disinterest was always there. Maybe they chose to homeschool in an effort to hide the abuse, or maybe hoping for a magical unicorn that would 'fix' the child(ren).

I do not believe anyone on this board is purposefully neglecting their child's education.

• Like 6

My baby is coming home. He just left yesterday . How am I going to handle him being away at college?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummm.... think about all the fun things you can convert his bedroom into??   :leaving:

(((Jean))) 

I actually have no idea how I will survive this without breaking any ITT laws.  It will kill me.  :crying:   

• Like 2

I think anyone who cares enough about their child's education to do something as radical as homeschool, and then care enough about that to spend their free time on these boards to learn and better themselves, is not neglectful.

So, yes, there are cases of homeschool educational neglect. But I think in many of those cases, the neglect and disinterest was always there. Maybe they chose to homeschool in an effort to hide the abuse, or maybe hoping for a magical unicorn that would 'fix' the child(ren).

I do not believe anyone on this board is purposefully neglecting their child's education.

There's a difference between purposefully neglecting/being disinterested and just being too dysfunctional to do a good enough job. I'd think the latter would be pretty rare on these boards too, but probably not completely non-existent. That said, people who care would typically try to make sure some minimum is met... there is a reason why Celery attended school from PreK3-2nd grade, and it was because I felt I wouldn't have been able to do him justice at home. The problem is when people have such huge ideological objections to other options that they fall into the "anything is better than school" thinking, even when they're clearly wrong. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

I am delighted to announce that I followed the rules, did not die, and arrived safely in Moscow. It wasn't as bad as I had feared. Seriously, winter driving would not be bad if people would just pay attention to road conditions. We passed two crashes where it looked like people couldn't be bothered to slow down for slush on the roadway. ☹

• Like 11

Because Broccoli's violin teacher was claiming some song was in that top-3, and I was like "for real?". I mean, admittedly, I did know the song, but he claimed that Broccoli was the first person he'd ever encountered who didn't know the song. And frankly, I'm getting a little annoyed at his incredulity at Broccoli not knowing songs. I did my best, but once he turned about 3 or 4 years old, he started complaining a lot about not liking songs and singing, and would beg me to stop singing, and complains about a fair number of things I play on YouTube as well (he also likes a fair number of things, so, it's not like he hates everything), so, he just doesn't know as much as he would've if he hadn't been complaining about stuff. So, there are some songs that he can't sing that I feel would be surprising to people, but the one his teacher mentioned was an "um, what?!".

• Like 1

Btw, if any of y'all are hoping I'll post the correct answer, I'm sorry to disappoint you - I tried searching the internet, but couldn't find an answer. I saw some people asking that same question and some answers to that, some of which seemed more plausible than others, but I didn't see a reference to some scientific study or anything (whereas, iirc, Coca-Cola is officially the most recognized brand worldwide). 

Anyway... I'm not surprised that people would be shocked that my kid can't sing Twinkle Twinkle or Jingle Bells (frankly, I was kind of surprised myself, as he used to be able to sing at least the latter, I thought). But, You Are My Sunshine? Um... okay then. I don't believe that's in the top-3 most recognized songs globally (I doubt it'd even be in the top-3 in the US). Things frequently mentioned for globally are Happy Birthday, Twinkle/ABC/Baa Baa Black Sheep, Frère Jacques, Nokia ringtone, Beethoven's 5th, etc. 

• Like 2