Menu

Ignore this thread!

Part of my brain wants to throw a Charlie Brown frustration fit over not having enough time to work on getting various projects further along, especially organizing and decluttering around here.

Part of my brain wants to get forging ahead on certain studies, but realizes the kids need some rebooting on certain other studies already in the works.

Part of me doesn't wanna have to head out of the house today (but I will, because Dad, milk, Aikido).

Part of me is wondering where I wrote down the date and time of a certain appointment that comes up next week, and is fretting about calendars.

It's almost time to start class time.  I guess I'll start there.

• Like 3

Our crossing did not wash away. DH and the boys are down there, presumably setting sacks of Quickcrete to make fake rocks. I suppose I ought to go out there and see how it's going.

Hooray for crossing stabilization!

• Like 2

I've finished my book. Now maybe I'll read another chapter of The Writer's Jungle before I start another book. Or finish Fluent Forever. Or Consider This. Or one of the other 8 books I haven't finished.

Read all the books!!! :drool5:

I've been out of bed three hours and feel like I've accomplished nothing. (I really have, but, like, unloading the dishwasher in about 4 bursts is not efficient.) My focus issues are in full effect. Tell me to stick to the list, y'all.

• Like 7

I don’t know, I guess it depends on how we are defining mature. In an awful lot of areas of emotional maturity (having personal discipline, empathy) Snugglebunny is more mature than Lego Lass. But issues that are purely philosophical for SB have a visceral component for LL...like she can feel in her bones that adulthood really is real and it’s coming. Sometimes it frustrates her talking to SB...It’s hard to explain. Maybe It’s hard to explain bc I’m wrong. ;)

Maturity is so not linear, and it looks totally different in different children. That's a really difficult book club to craft, in my opinion, because the ranges of maturity, sensitivity, and abilities could be vast.

• Like 3

Maturity is so not linear, and it looks totally different in different children. That's a really difficult book club to craft, in my opinion, because the ranges of maturity, sensitivity, and abilities could be vast.

Yes, totally.

Hi, everyone. This is me:

treadmill-fall-smiley-emoticon.gif

At least you're exercising.
  • Like 3

I would just be afraid that if I held a book club for tweens and let younger children come it would be chaotic and a waste of time.

Me too. I wouldn't take my tweens to a book club if it was with 8yr olds. Even highly intelligent 8yos would change the vibe because it's about maturity and not intelligence. 

My DD is 10 and definitely a tween. I think tween-hood starts when they enter early puberty and start having physical and emotional changes. It messes with their minds!

• Like 3

The friend who recommended I look for one thought they’d be more likely to look for root causes than just symptoms.

Really, I just want someone who will take me seriously. And I want to avoid the Scylla of “lets give you antidepressants and cut your uterus out†and the Charybdis of “eat nothing but Kale and a hundred dollars worth of supplements.†I mean, I suppose if eating nothing but kale made me feel like a million bucks I’d do it, but I’ve tried paleo and too low carb makes my anxiety worse and I don’t seem to have any problems with dairy. I’ve been recommended so many different vitamins and supplements over the years by friends and so far your suggestion of magnesium is the only one to help!

A naturopathic doctor who is also an MD will give you the best of both worlds. So will some D.O’s. But of course all bring their own personality and approach to the discipline. If you want to PM me I night be able to give you some layperson suggestions. (Based on what our ND/MD has used to help us. )

• Like 1

Good morning.

I love â¤ï¸ my puppy. I love â¤ï¸ my puppy. I love â¤ï¸ my puppy. (I really do love ny puppy but I am exhausted. And she woke up too early. And she had me out four times in the snow in one hour ( though she genuinely had to pee and poop each time. ). And then it was boisterous play time and now she’s finally curled up for a second sleep right when I need to get up and get moving. But she’s cute and she didn’t pee or [emoji90] in the house so we’re good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 8

Would you consider an 8yo a tween? A local mom wants to start a tween book club 3rd Grade and up. I always thought tween was 10-12. There’s a pretty big difference between an 8year old and a 10 year old! And a huge difference between an 8 year old and a 12 year old! I mean they can play together, certainly, but book discussions I think would be either boring or frustrating for the older kid.

No, I'd think 10-12.

Me, too.

I concur. 10-12.

• Like 2

We have not gotten much homeschooling done, but we have caught up on the Olympics.

Maybe we can call in Physical Education Appreciation.  :)

Cultural studies.

Ds was particularly aggressive this morning. I really think I need to find a way to take him for a run first thing in the morning or something. Low energy mom and energetic testosterone boy are not a great combo.

On good weather days he walks 2 miles, on bad weather days he does MMA or Tabata.
  • Like 3

I don’t know if you’re joking or not.

I'm not. We live in an 800 sf apartment and he needs the exercise. Burpees, planks, push ups, sit ups, wall sits and jogging in place are all viable options. I have workout videos of MMA and military style Tabata he likes. He prefers to go to the playground and kick a ball around but this is Oregon and it rained every day in January. Every day. It rained all day every day, at least while we were able to go outside. For 31 days. It rained every day for 31 days. Strait.

• Like 2

Maybe I could get ds to do some of that if we call it a competition. He won’t do exercise videos with me but he does like to lift my kettlebell.

I lived in Beaverton as a kid. :). I remember recess being under a giant roofed blacktop often and counting worms on my walk to school.

I just looked at your siggy. Are we discussing the 3 year old?

Maybe I could get ds to do some of that if we call it a competition. He won’t do exercise videos with me but he does like to lift my kettlebell.

I lived in Beaverton as a kid. :). I remember recess being under a giant roofed blacktop often and counting worms on my walk to school.

We went on slug hunts when the kids were little. 

• Like 1

It's been a tough morning.  I'm sleep deprived which makes me want to eat things that will give me boosts of sugar but I'm diabetic so I'm being really "good" and am forcing myself to have self control.  Plus, I've lost 7 pounds now and am poised to lose an 8th pound and I'll be darned if I'm going to ruin that.  In addition, I'm not patient by nature and the puppy is being particularly "puppy" this morning.  But I'm also forcing myself to be patient. 

It helps (maybe?) that I'm a firm believer in adults adulting even when it isn't pleasant or convenient.  But I will try to get a nap later.

• Like 8

Oldest was swaddled well into toddlerhood.  His sensory stuff arrived with him, iykwim.  Youngest snuggles for body warmth. When she was a preemie (born in winter, in a cold climate, severe reflux that would cause apnea), I wore her in a baby carrier 20 hours a day.  She will finally go to sleep in her own bed, but she joins us in the middle of the night most nights.  I don't get nearly as "touched out" as I used to, but it's hard to be needed/wanted so much, iykwim.

• Like 4

Daily Dad update - it made me cry

The part of the brain that controls facial expressions/emotions was severely bruised/damaged. He has shown little recognition and absolutely no emotion since he's been awake. 
But, today, Mom blew him a kiss and he smiled. <3 <3 <3 
It's the simple things that are huge now days. 

• Like 14

:hurray:  Mary that is wonderful. By the way, are you in WV? Are you on strike?

Nope. I am in SW Missouri and I no longer teach public school. I teach for VIPKID; I get up before the roosters and teach English to cute kids in China. Not as much money, but I get to stay home with my kid! 

There are several VIPKID teachers who are in WV. I can't imagine how stressful a situation that is. I get why they're doing it, but I know the lack of income has got to be so hard. 

• Like 3

We have not gotten much homeschooling done, but we have caught up on the Olympics.

Maybe we can call in Physical Education Appreciation.  :)

Now that's MY kind of Physical Education!  Wish we had had that when I was in school.  

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: I got GF cornmeal. There will be Southern cornbread tonight!

You forgot to tell us what time to come.

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

I do try to do that, but we’ve all been doing it in the afternoon. I’m thinking if I could manage just the two of us in the morning as well hopefully he’duse up enough energy not to be throwing train tracks and climbing on the table. I really need half an hour with TS, and then he can play with her, which he has actually been doing okay at for the past few weeks. I keep a bunch of activities for him to do alongside us (trains, dominoes, tangrams, watercolors, etc.), and we have a trampoline and a punching bag in the living room but he’s still going crazy.

I would imagine a morning walk would ensure 30 minutes with TS. You could even walk him and then screen him since 30 minutes is the length of a TV show.

• Like 1

TS is done with her schoolwork so I’m letting the kids take a long morning break to play in the snow while I watch them with my cuppa. I caught the sniffles.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Do you think you could let the sniffles go home now?  I think it's time they went home to their mommas and had their afternoon naps.

Daily Dad update - it made me cry

The part of the brain that controls facial expressions/emotions was severely bruised/damaged. He has shown little recognition and absolutely no emotion since he's been awake. 

But, today, Mom blew him a kiss and he smiled. <3 <3 <3 

It's the simple things that are huge now days. 

It sounds like the external expressions of the emotions might be damaged, but not the underlying emotions themselves.  After my Dad's TBI he had no access to emotions for a good three years, and then they all started flooding back one day.  That was a very rough time for my Dad, since that's when the grief and anger and everything finally could start processing.

This little exchange between your folks IS huge.  And I am very happy for it.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :001_wub:  :001_wub: