Menu

Ignore this thread!

I don't know If I've mentioned it here, but chocolate craving is a sign of bona-fide magnesium deficiency. While a common mineral that is surely plentiful in most American diets, magnesium can be depleted by caffeine, alcohol, and stress.

Magnesium can be obtained in the vitamin section. I recommend taking citrate and oxide because they absorb differently. You can't really overdose easily.

It killed my chocolate cravings. I still like chocolate but it's now like vanilla or almond flavor for me. Just a flavor.

Really? Maybe that's why I haven't been chocolate loving has been killed. I have been taking magnesium along with my bp pill. Dh was shocked when he wanted to share his chocolate and I said no.

Wait! Maybe that's why he's been craving chocolate! He's not even a chocolate eater and has been wanting it almost daily! [mind blown]

• Like 7

I think the challenge with Detectives in Togas is multifold:

1. It was originally written in German, and the translation is clunky

2. The plot is a series of misdirections, which are summarized here, if you want to get the gist: http://www.pluggedin.com/book-reviews/detectives-in-togas/  The plot line itself has irregular energy.

3. I didn't care about any of the characters. They are a group of schoolboys, but the wider world around them didn't seem to fit around them.  I think the author was trying to tell it from the naive perspective of a schoolboy (what would he think of the adults in his life), but it just felt clunky.

• Like 2

Well, if you had died, you would have been breaking the rules. You don't come across as a rule breaker...

She has no warning points.

I think it has to do with a weak core or something, making it easier to sit that way.

Gymnast actually very rarely sits like that, which is why it surprised me. I noticed it while recording, but didn't say anything because I didn't want to interrupt her presentation. But, yeah, it bugs.

Mary sits Japanese style which is supposedly bad for your knees. I don't stop her, I just assume it's what her body wants.

Okay--I'm taking two magnesium capsules now and plan to soak in a magnesium bath this afternoon. See if it helps with my chocolate deficiency and stress related finger blisters.

It took three days for me to really feel the difference.

Chocolate cravings are alternately fun and annoying but the blisters sound horrible. I certainly hope that magnesium helps although I think skin issues are far more complex than cravings for specific foods.

• Like 1

I don't know If I've mentioned it here, but chocolate craving is a sign of bona-fide magnesium deficiency. While a common mineral that is surely plentiful in most American diets, magnesium can be depleted by caffeine, alcohol, and stress. 

Magnesium can be obtained in the vitamin section. I recommend taking citrate and oxide because they absorb differently. You can't really overdose easily.

It killed my chocolate cravings. I still like chocolate but it's now like vanilla or almond flavor for me. Just a flavor.

Right now I don't actually crave chocolate.  I do, however, quite enjoy it, and I like getting to claim that the flavenols and such are good for so much of what ails us.  

• Like 1

I am beginning to realize that my ability to cope with adulthood is has been disproportionately focused around learning to endure pain and dissatisfaction, rather than finding ways to enjoy things. I am tired of being unhappy but I am also stuck in a situation in which being the best person I can be requires me to forego most things that make me happy (solitude, quiet, art, and service to the poor). And nobody understands this in my family. They think I am setting up this life of activities and structured time in which they are off their screens bugging me for myself.

Posting here because I'm sure you'd understand.

Oh, yes, we get it.  Boy, do we get it.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 3

I am beginning to realize that my ability to cope with adulthood is has been disproportionately focused around learning to endure pain and dissatisfaction, rather than finding ways to enjoy things. I am tired of being unhappy but I am also stuck in a situation in which being the best person I can be requires me to forego most things that make me happy (solitude, quiet, art, and service to the poor). And nobody understands this in my family. They think I am setting up this life of activities and structured time in which they are off their screens bugging me for myself.

Posting here because I'm sure you'd understand.

Rocko!  Helicpoter to Tsuga, stat!  She needs some island time.

• Like 5

I consider Detectives in Togas to be akin in some respects to the writing style of Hank the Cowdog but different.  Which probably doesn't explain anything.  But just in case it does, I'm going to post this. 

I am not familiar with Detectives in Togas, but I am well acquainted with Hank.  Your post feeds my imagination nicely.

• Like 2

It took three days for me to really feel the difference.

Chocolate cravings are alternately fun and annoying but the blisters sound horrible. I certainly hope that magnesium helps although I think skin issues are far more complex than cravings for specific foods.

I agree with everything you've said about magnesium deficiency.  I take a fairly high dose of magnesium every morning to stay mobile.  But I still love my chocolate.  I don't crave it.  I just love it.  So I have a little bit of chocolate every day.  (two squares of Theo's dark chocolate) 

• Like 2

Would taking a bath in epsom salts be as effective as taking a supplement?

I made 2 phone calls. And I didn’t die.

Of course you didn't die, silly! It's against regulations! Have some chocolate! ðŸ«

• Like 3

Would taking a bath in epsom salts be as effective as taking a supplement?

Of course you didn't die, silly! It's against regulations! Have some chocolate! ðŸ«

I have no idea how magnesium works as I'm not a medical professional. All I know is that it's found in chocolate and supplements have been found to reduce cravings and it worked for me.

Sounds like Jean has spent more time on vitamin absorption so I'd go with it and resort to supplements if that doesn't work.

• Like 1

I think the challenge with Detectives in Togas is multifold:

1. It was originally written in German, and the translation is clunky

2. The plot is a series of misdirections, which are summarized here, if you want to get the gist: http://www.pluggedin.com/book-reviews/detectives-in-togas/ The plot line itself has irregular energy.

3. I didn't care about any of the characters. They are a group of schoolboys, but the wider world around them didn't seem to fit around them. I think the author was trying to tell it from the naive perspective of a schoolboy (what would he think of the adults in his life), but it just felt clunky.

I didn't realize it was originally in German! One of the clunky writing issues that bugs me is that since there are so many main characters, whenever they are having a conversation it's a constant run of Julius said..., Caius mumbled..., Peter questioned..., Rufus said...

I don't know why it bugs me.

• Like 1

We are back from the post office. I did not know that they have computers that can read handwriting on mail when going through the automated sorting. We also came across a bunch of baby chicks and ducks being shipped various places. :) Afterwards we stopped at a gas station that had gas 40 cents cheaper than the stations near my house! That saved me $12! (30 gallons in a 12-passenger van)

• Like 4

I didn't realize it was originally in German! One of the clunky writing issues that bugs me is that since there are so many main characters, whenever they are having a conversation it's a constant run of Julius said..., Caius mumbled..., Peter questioned..., Rufus said...

I don't know why it bugs me.

Smothered in WIOS--words-instead-of-said. One of my pet peeves. Said disappears on the paper like butter into toast. WIOS sit on top like jelly.

• Like 5

Smothered in WIOS--words-instead-of-said. One of my pet peeves. Said disappears on the paper like butter into toast. WIOS sit on top like jelly.

I think I remember that being said on the OYAN video as well.  Except not as well as you said it.   :)

ETA:  It's an "I'm not a writer in real life nor do I play one on TV" BOOYAH!  

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 5

I have no idea how magnesium works as I'm not a medical professional. All I know is that it's found in chocolate and supplements have been found to reduce cravings and it worked for me.

Sounds like Jean has spent more time on vitamin absorption so I'd go with it and resort to supplements if that doesn't work.

And chocolate! Chocolate is the 1st resort! ðŸ˜

• Like 1

I did all the things today. Weapon X had speech this morning. Then we went to various auto shops until we found someone who could fix my horn. Once that was done, we went back to the inspection place and passed this time. Then to the courthouse to renew the registration, which was due in January. All of this for a vehicle I hope to be rid of soon.

Then we came home and ate lunch and I properly educated the children. There's more school I wanted to get done today, but I think we are all done. It can wait until tomorrow. Now I want to nap, but will probably clean or not nap instead.

• Like 4

This is one of those factoids that I just don't know what to do with.

Dd is reading The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.  She just had to complete a research paper on how the Nazis treated the disabled.  She came out to tell me that the Nazi hymn was the same tune as a "hymn we sing".  So I had to listen to it and then block out the German words (which I can't understand so that was easy) while trying to play "Name that Tune".  I thought it was interesting.  But upon further research I discover that I named that tune incorrectly.  It is actually the tune for "Glorious things of Thee are Spoken".  It is still used as the German National Anthem but with certain Nazi words excised.  At least, according to Google. 

• Like 2

Dd is reading The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.  She just had to complete a research paper on how the Nazis treated the disabled.  She came out to tell me that the Nazi hymn was the same tune as a "hymn we sing".  So I had to listen to it and then block out the German words (which I can't understand so that was easy) while trying to play "Name that Tune".  I thought it was interesting.  But upon further research I discover that I named that tune incorrectly.  It is actually the tune for "Glorious things of Thee are Spoken".  It is still used as the German National Anthem but with certain Nazi words excised.  At least, according to Google. 

Quoting myself to say, "See!  We do learn something in school around here!"

• Like 4

I know two tunes for Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken, but one is definitely more anthem/march - like.  

• Like 1

I know two tunes for Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken, but one is definitely more anthem/march - like.  

Haydn.  (Marked as "Austria" in many hymnals)

"Because of the practice of singing the hymn to a tune used for other purposes it has sometimes elicited unusual reactions. During the Second World War in an Oflag prisoner of war camp, a Protestant service was interrupted during the singing of "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken" by the camp guards singing Sei gesegnet ohne Ende, because the hymn was set to the tune of the Austrian national anthem.[9] The same Haydn melody is employed in the German national anthem formerly known, popularly, as Deutschland über alles — properly titled Das Lied der Deutschen or the Deutschlandlied, the third verse of which is the national anthem of present-day Germany. For some people, using this particular tune for the hymn (often named in various hymnals as "Austria") is often controversial as, despite the fact that it dates back to the 18th century, it raises reminders of Nazi Germany.[10]"

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

It is 78 degrees outside.  And 80 degrees inside.  I would ask dh about turning on the A/C, but the high for tomorrow is only in the 50s.  I'll tough it out, but the heat is making me grumpy.

JJM, I wish I could throw 15 degrees your way.  You need them more than I do.

• Like 6

Neko sounds like a siren whenever Juliet looks at him. 

That's nice, having an alarm to warn you when a strange animal is in the house. :D

We did the thing. It went fine. Follow-up appointment next Wednesday, hopefully with news that results are as expected based on previous tests.

• Like 7

We've introduced John to the Prisamacolors we bought on super super sale a year ago and he's learning to blend colors. He's been working on a dinosaur in the grass for 3 days now.

Mary wants to play Hungry Hungry Hippos with Daddy because the poor hippos haven't eaten in months.

I'm almost finished with my book.

• Like 9