Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dd8 spilled her water at dinner and then proceeded to shove and splash the water down to the side of the table where I had placed all my Christmas Cracker supplies and stuff. I had a bit of a hissy fit, though the papers that got wet have dried already and it's not noticable. It took me 3 stinking hours this afternoon just to get that far on them! I clearly need more Andes Mints before starting back.

Choir boy is coming over to play on Sunday afternoon. :svengo: I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

We got Trouble,

Right here in ITT

With a capital T that rhymes with C and that stands for Choir (boys)!

• Like 8

I am home from hobnobbing with my fellow wizards.

I liked the doctor. I'm scheduled for my biopsy/surgery in January. Apparently I get to spend some part of the morning tired, cranky, hungry, caffeine-deprived with a needle stuck you know where. However, I was told there will be drugs. :D I'm not too worried. We just need to get the thing out and find out if it's a nasty creature or a benign one.

• Like 10

:grouphug: Critter  :grouphug:  

Did y'all read the thermostat thread? It made me think I keep the house too warm because some people set it much lower than I've ever tried. These kids are annoying me too much wearing tank tops, no socks, and dance shorts in the house in winter, and they refuse to sleep under their comforters/sheets because then they'd have to make the beds! I'm turning the thermostat down until they wear clothes and sleep under blankets. It was set on 68 and i pushed it down to 65. You know what DD said? "It actually feels warmer." Maybe tomorrow it'll be 60. 

Meanwhile, I'm wearing 3 layers and drinking hot tea under a blanket, but it's worth it.

Baby has had a great day- no lingering shot fussiness! :hurray:

• Like 8

I'm home! Didn't get everything done, but I did cook supper (fried cube steak, fried potatoes, green beans, and pinto beans), scoop kitty litter, swish and swipe and sweep dc bathroom, make tea, handwashed dishes and loaded dishwasher, wiped kitchen, cleaned off kitchen table with dd, fed dogs, had dd empty dishwasher and ds10 empty bathroom trash and pick up stuff, put away shoes, straightened den, put leftovers in bowls, did Advent activity, did first night of Hannakuh, and read a book to dc (It's Not About You, Mr. Santa Claus).

I ordered a couple of presents today.

Now I'm bathing and am ready for bed. But will probably wait up for ds31, who is moving back in with us tonight.

:drool5:  :drool5:  :drool5:  :drool5:

• Like 2

Crocheting a miniature Hufflepuff scarf out of embroidery thread for a stuffed mouse is more tricky than I expected. I need lots of light and a locked door. And one of those giant magnifiers. 🕵

You just do all the things!

Sometimes these boards make me feel like such an underachiever.

And sometimes I just embrace my laziness and shrug.

• Like 9

:grouphug: Critter :grouphug:

Did y'all read the thermostat thread? It made me think I keep the house too warm because some people set it much lower than I've ever tried. These kids are annoying me too much wearing tank tops, no socks, and dance shorts in the house in winter, and they refuse to sleep under their comforters/sheets because then they'd have to make the beds! I'm turning the thermostat down until they wear clothes and sleep under blankets. It was set on 68 and i pushed it down to 65. You know what DD said? "It actually feels warmer." Maybe tomorrow it'll be 60.

Meanwhile, I'm wearing 3 layers and drinking hot tea under a blanket, but it's worth it.

Baby has had a great day- no lingering shot fussiness! :hurray:

Sometimes my boys complain about being cold when they are only wearing underwear. My answer is to put some clothes on. Their answer, "no, I'll just get a blanket."

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Sometimes my boys complain about being cold when they are only wearing underwear. My answer is to put some clothes on. Their answer, "no, I'll just get a blanket."

My kids do that, too. They's rather wrap a blanket around themselves than put more clothes on! :confused1: 

• Like 2

I think Imma move in with Angi. She always has The Foods!

And her house is always clean too!

Amen and Amen!  (It's not us, it's them.  They clean and cook too much.   :laugh: )

• Like 5

Good morning!

I have to go pick up dd19 from school today. She has to check out of her room within 6 hours of her last final. :huh: So lots of driving this afternoon.

Well, except we're done with school and my kitchen is not clean and this is my way of embracing the laziness. :D Also, I don't work full-time outside the house!

Do you have a pattern to share?

Well...it's just 4 rows yellow, 4 rows black, 4 rows yellow, etc. - 5 single crochet in each row until it gets the length I want. Using "cotton craft thread" (which looks like embroidery thread but seems more tightly wound) and a D3/3.25mm crochet hook (which I have seen wandering the house for years but have no idea why we have it. Must have been dd19's.)

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

With the anticipation of Choir Boy & Co. (Mom, Dad, and Sister might come as well?) I soothed my anxiety by thinking we could all do the Advent wreath and singing and treats all together and that would be something to do. But then I remembered that Choir Boy's mom only gives him organic food to eat. So now stress again. I could go to Whole Foods and get a couple organic treats. And we have been promising ds13 a trip to the Whole Foods cheese department since his birthday, so that could be something. :willy_nilly:

#definitelyhavetocleanbathroomsandkitchennow

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 9

:grouphug: Spuds. I don't do parties.

I'm up. Caffeine. I woke up at three as usual, but managed to get back to sleep. I dreamed somebody abandoned thirty kittens at my house. I ran out of kitten food trying to feed them. They ranged from 5 weeks of age to about 12 weeks to go by their size. They were mostly stripey kittens, or black kittens, but I had a few orange ones and some calicoes. 

In another dream I went to a craft fair that was beyond crowded. I decided those people needed cats so they would go home. Slipped back to the other dream, loaded up the kittens, and managed to give them all away before I woke up. :hurray:

ETA: I really wanted to keep the calico that had one blue eye and one green eye. So pretty!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 9

((Spuds))

It's morning. I need coffee. I've been sort of but not completely awake since 4:30. That's when Mal snuck into my bedroom. His puppy sleeps in a kennel in his room, and does really well when he's in the room with her. If he leaves her alone, she starts crying until I move her. She does fine if I just move her to her brother's kennel (Weapon X's room). Poor baby just hates to be all alone.

Anyway, I've drifted in and out since then and never really fell back asleep. I can't wait until I can start using my replacement Fitbit to track my sleep again. I find tracking the interruptions helpful. Just knowing that my Fitbit understands how tired I am seems reassuring in some way.

• Like 7

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Wednesday!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Last night of Awana till after New Year!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘🎄🎄

and we’re having dinner at church (tamales, yay) so I don’t have to cook tonight!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Like 5

Self-Torture...Write-po: Warning! Avert your eyes!

So...I've been thinking about things I want to do in the new year. There's the 100 books challenge from Bookie that I'm working on. I'm really working on reading across my genre, although I plan to steer clear of vampires and werewolves because I still feel vampires need to be in comfortable dark places during daylight and I have enough hairy animals in the house without werewolves around. But I need to read more modern fantasies, included a few of them in that awful first person, present tense. 

But I also wanted to set some writing goals beyond completing this or that manuscript, get this or that query letter out, revise this, polish that sort of thing. I think I'm going to look at trying to write a short story or personal essay every week or every other week. 

• Like 6

I told someone at work to "stop whinging" in an email response today, and he responded with, "What does that mean?"  So then I responded, "You're sitting in front of a computer.  Google it."  I may be in a mood.  But this is also someone who I get along with really well, so he can take it.  :)

So it turns out my boss also did not know the word.  Either I read too much British lit, or I got it from these here WTM boards.  But whatever.  I told them they need to expand their horizons and read more British lit. 

• Like 8

Self-Torture...Write-po: Warning! Avert your eyes!

So...I've been thinking about things I want to do in the new year. There's the 100 books challenge from Bookie that I'm working on. I'm really working on reading across my genre, although I plan to steer clear of vampires and werewolves because I still feel vampires need to be in comfortable dark places during daylight and I have enough hairy animals in the house without werewolves around. But I need to read more modern fantasies, included a few of them in that awful first person, present tense.

But I also wanted to set some writing goals beyond completing this or that manuscript, get this or that query letter out, revise this, polish that sort of thing. I think I'm going to look at trying to write a short story or personal essay every week or every other week.

I would love to 100 books thing, but I can’t seem to sit down and read anything these days.
  • Like 4

I would love to 100 books thing, but I can’t seem to sit down and read anything these days.

Neither can I. If I get a free minute, I always ask myself, "Why aren't you writing, editing or proofreading?" The answer needs to be, "Because I'm reading, improving my understanding of what sells, whether I like it or not. And if I don't like it, how can I write better? And if I do like it, how can I write better?" 

I have to do it. Reading is part of my job as a writer. So I have to make time for it and value it as highly as writing. Or almost as highly. There's an old adage that says that writers write the books they want to read. Not completely accurate for me, but there's a compulsion there all the same.

• Like 4

Did y'all read the thermostat thread? It made me think I keep the house too warm because some people set it much lower than I've ever tried.

I read it just now, but I agree with people that one number in one person's house is not the same as the same number in another person's house. Also, I remember some thread one or two years ago about some family who didn't turn on their heater until it was really quite cold out, and who'd make the kids run outside to warm up because it was so cold inside, so, I take the people who post really low numbers with a grain of salt. It's not a contest of who can be the most Spartan, kwim? 

• Like 5

Broccoli, when told to put on socks, just whines that that'd make him even colder. It's quite annoying. 

• Like 3

Whinging makes me cringe. Why the extra 'g'? (like someone else mentioned, it's probably British or something, but it still makes me cringe). That said, at least I knew what it meant. 

I bought lights for the xmas tree last night, and an obscene amount lot of groceries. 

• Like 5

Toss them in the dryer first. ðŸ˜ðŸ”¥ðŸ”¥ðŸ˜

Yeah, no. That would involve opening the back door, letting in cold air, to go to the basement. Twice (so, opening the door 4x). (there's still another door between our back door and outside, but it's quite cold and very drafty in the hallway to the basement, so, it's still a waste of energy - it's not like we keep the thermostat set at 50, plus, it'd make *me* cold to go to the basement twice to warm socks. they'll get warm just fine on his feet (really, they're not cold - it's not like I'm asking him to put on 50 degree socks - if he wants, he could hold them in front of the heater before putting them on, but it's the principle - he doesn't want to believe that it works, because he's not complaining about cold feet, so why would socks help?... well, because they do, even if it's another body part that's cold))

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

ETA: I really wanted to keep the calico that had one blue eye and one green eye. So pretty!

Keep your eye out for her- maybe you'll meet her someday. We were done, done, done, having kids and I dreamed I had a newborn baby boy a few years ago. It was so vivid and real and when I woke up I was super sad because I wanted my baby back. It was so real that I kept seeing that baby in my head even though we were so done with kids. And now, maybe 5 years later, I have that same baby for real!  :001_wub:  If I could have picked, I would have never picked a boy baby, so that was weird that it was a boy in my dream. Not that I have anything against boys, and I love Baby- it would have been purely a financial preference as we had a squillion things for girls and wouldn't have needed to buy anything and nothing left for a boy. In the past I always wondered why dream Baby was a boy.

I read it just now, but I agree with people that one number in one person's house is not the same as the same number in another person's house. Also, I remember some thread one or two years ago about some family who didn't turn on their heater until it was really quite cold out, and who'd make the kids run outside to warm up because it was so cold inside, so, I take the people who post really low numbers with a grain of salt. It's not a contest of who can be the most Spartan, kwim? 

That is nuts. Maybe they really couldn't afford more heat? It's sad. My dad's family couldn't afford heat and the stories he tells makes me grateful for central heat and the money to use it!

But if it's 25 degrees outside and my kids are running around inside like they are heading to the swimming pool, maybe we could turn the heat down, right? Today DDa said I made her put socks on because it was a little cold! DD(10) said she was still hot. I can't tell now if she's messing with me or not! My nose is cold. Everyone else seems fine though. It's at 65. If DD(10) changes into a tank top and shorts after school like she normally does I'm going to turn the heat down more! I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable who is wearing seasonally appropriate clothes, but we have a big house and maybe we could save some money. It also really annoys me to see DD walking around half dressed when it's freezing out; or anytime really. 

• Like 3