Menu

Ignore this thread!

The interface is a pain to use. Visually, the site almost blinds me, but I struggle through because I like the depth.

It is a PITA but it's free so I don't complain much. It probably took me a week to figure out what to print for each grade and to organize it all together into usable notebooks. If you print it out all at once you only suffer once. 

Hmm. They are a staple in my ITT posts...probably bc I write them in a conversational tone and I use them for all my awkward pauses.

My conversation has a lot of awkward pauses.

Don’t tell me if that’s grammatically incorrect. 😜

This is how I use them. I googled it and it said, “usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence or a whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.†Now, that makes me feel good because I was helping oldest DS with a book report and his teacher wanted quotes, and he didn’t need to copy the entire passage, just the pertinent parts, so I had him use ellipses.
  • Like 2

Yes, they look very neat. The kids however don't seem to be there yet with folding, but they should be able to make stuff like this (I guess they're snowflakes, not stars... oh well):

http://www.engagedinart.com/artclasses/countdown-to-christmas-crafts-fun-art-projects/paper-snowflakes/

I forgot to mention the weird phenomenon the other day when we were folding origami. I was having trouble figuring out the directions to one of the creatures but my fingers just kept on folding. It was like muscle memory just took over.

• Like 6

I made taco soup for dinner. The magic crock pot is doing all the work.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I used my crock pot 3 times last week. I’m making chicken enchilada soup tonight. I have ‘t Made it in ages. It’s a good soup. At least I think it was. I will post the recipe if it’s still good.

I'm making chicken noodle soup except I'm dirtying two pots because I'm super paranoid about raw not touching cooked. I know it's probably ok but I can't cook the soup in the pot the raw chicken was cooked in! DS does the dishes tonight, though, so I don't care! Dirty all the dishes!

• Like 5

Oh, and of course the violin being 1/4 size isn't helping anything either. Broccoli's violin teacher was amazed I was able to play on it at all.

You'd think a violinist would put things in more "violin friendly" keys! I can transpose stuff if you want.

I should find my violin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you should! You need to be ready for the ITT orchestra!

I love our origami ornaments this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like them too!

I use them incorrectly all the time. That and my liberal use of exclamation points make me a lousy writer.

I don't know if my punctuation is correct or not. I'm pretty good with a period and question mark. Everything else is used free-form. :D

I was driving home from the swimmeet.  Three hour drive.  Itired.

:svengo: Glad you are home!

• Like 5

The Lessons and Carols service was beautiful! Apparently there is a lady who drives up here from Georgia every year just to attend the service. :) The only snafu happened at the very end when the pianist gave an 8 measure introduction to O Come, All Ye Faithful, when we were only supposed to do 4 measures, so the orchestra came in and it sounded like a confused train wreck for 2 seconds and the rest was fine. :D

The kids and dh are watching Doctor Who. And I'm here. I need to plan the Christmas Cracker crafting for this week.

• Like 7

You'd think a violinist would put things in more "violin friendly" keys! I can transpose stuff if you want.

Yes, you should! You need to be ready for the ITT orchestra!

I like them too!

I don't know if my punctuation is correct or not. I'm pretty good with a period and question mark. Everything else is used free-form. :D

:svengo: Glad you are home!

I'm still renting this violin. Gymnast hasn't touched it since October. One of her birthday presents will be violin lessons, so I'll keep paying.

• Like 4

I'm still renting this violin. Gymnast hasn't touched it since October. One of her birthday presents will be violin lessons, so I'll keep paying.

Sometimes I feel like I'm throwing money to the wind with this child. With Dancer, it was just dance (and sometimes soccer), and she stuck with it. It got expensive, but she got scholarships, and in the pre-pro program she began to work things off. 

With Gymnast, it's gymnastics - sometimes. And soccer - sometimes. And circus - sometimes. Now, it will be violin lessons. She's also learning Chinese. I have a feeling she'll stick with the violin and Chinese because she doesn't have to be in front of people, and the teachers stay the same.

She said she really liked gymnastics and circus. When I asked her why she doesn't want to continue, she asked me if the people would be the same. So, that's the problem: change. Whether if it will be the teacher or the other participants, she has a problem dealing with change. It seems part of the anxiety.

Things will always change in life.  How do I teach her how to deal with it? She's missing out on things she likes, because (besides us being poor) she doesn't want to deal with change. How much do I need to push her with this?

• Like 2

If you put her in it anyway, do you think she might get used to the new ppl in a frw weeks and be ok with it? (Assuming you wouldn’t lose too much financially from having to pull her). When my parents split and we moved I quit dance even though I loved it bc joining a new studio on top of all the other changes was just too much, but I regret that.

Yes. But, I'm remembering another part to this: She likes what she's doing, she does it well, she gets along with the other kids, but by the end she's telling me she doesn't want to do anything anymore.

She says she just wants to stay home. In order for her to stay home, I would need an indoor gym, but we only live in 659 sq ft of space. She is way too busy to not have an outside activity. A regular park day would be perfect, but homeschoolers are flakey, and it's getting cold outside. I hate that she's just quitting everything.

Thanks. I could do it myself, or have my mom do it too. Or, just play it as written... it'd just require me to go slower for a while, but it's not like I *can't* do it. I was just surprised by how many of the pieces were written with 4+ flats (or sharps).

• Like 1

She said she really liked gymnastics and circus. When I asked her why she doesn't want to continue, she asked me if the people would be the same. So, that's the problem: change. Whether if it will be the teacher or the other participants, she has a problem dealing with change. It seems part of the anxiety.

Things will always change in life. How do I teach her how to deal with it? She's missing out on things she likes, because (besides us being poor) she doesn't want to deal with change. How much do I need to push her with this?

I totally get this. My oldest has severe issues with change. Fortunately, once we get him through, he seems to settle in, but the during part is awful.
  • Like 1

Yes. But, I'm remembering another part to this: She likes what she's doing, she does it well, she gets along with the other kids, but by the end she's telling me she doesn't want to do anything anymore.

She says she just wants to stay home. In order for her to stay home, I would need an indoor gym, but we only live in 659 sq ft of space. She is way too busy to not have an outside activity. A regular park day would be perfect, but homeschoolers are flakey, and it's getting cold outside. I hate that she's just quitting everything.

Renai, can you get her into a sport where it's likely she'll keep some of the same teammates? If not, would she be happier being active in a more solitary sport like running, or swimming?

• Like 2

Renai, this is just me, but my young children never got to decide things like this. I didn’t set out to make them miserable but I knew what they needed better than they did. I tried to provide scaffolding for my anxious kids like staying with them especially at first but the activities themselves were nonnegotiable. But I realize that not everyone does it that way.

• Like 4

I can't fall asleep. I found a Robotics club that I think Weapon X would enjoy. It's at the Discovery Museum and there is a 'Tot time' directly after for Captain Mal. I want to sign up, but... I don't know if I'm trying to do too much. I think I just have cabin fever so I'm trying to sign up for all the things and I might regret it come mid-January. I decided to sleep on it, only sleep is elusive. So I'm complaining to you guys instead.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Renai, can you get her into a sport where it's likely she'll keep some of the same teammates? If not, would she be happier being active in a more solitary sport like running, or swimming?

Unless it's dance, it is highly likely that the participants will change each semester (or in the case of shorter-term activities like gymnastic, every 6-9 weeks). And, she doesn't really like dance. Shocking, I know.

Running would require me to be doing the same. I hate running. Shocking, I know. I just like my insides to stay inside my body. :D I've been wanting to get her some swimming lessons for a while. The first few classes are group, but then after that, I can take her myself. So, that's something I can sign her up for.

• Like 3

Renai, this is just me, but my young children never got to decide things like this. I didn’t set out to make them miserable but I knew what they needed better than they did. I tried to provide scaffolding for my anxious kids like staying with them especially at first but the activities themselves were nonnegotiable. But I realize that not everyone does it that way.

I do have to stay where she can see me when doing activities. I'm not sure if this is helping in any kind of way. I can't even slip out to use the bathroom, and the last time I told her I was going to the bathroom (circus class, small studio) she came with me. I couldn't get her to stay in class. I think gymnastics would be the best thing for her. Just like I saw dance in Dancer, I see gymnastics in Gymnast. 

I just sometimes wonder how much I should push sometimes... I've been making her do all kinds of things - soccer, theater, dance, gymnastics, soccer - and she does well in them. Now that I know it's change she's worried about, I guess I can just put her in stuff and let her know she's going...

• Like 2

I do have to stay where she can see me when doing activities. I'm not sure if this is helping in any kind of way. I can't even slip out to use the bathroom, and the last time I told her I was going to the bathroom (circus class, small studio) she came with me. I couldn't get her to stay in class. I think gymnastics would be the best thing for her. Just like I saw dance in Dancer, I see gymnastics in Gymnast.

I just sometimes wonder how much I should push sometimes... I've been making her do all kinds of things - soccer, theater, dance, gymnastics, soccer - and she does well in them. Now that I know it's change she's worried about, I guess I can just put her in stuff and let her know she's going...

Instead of having both the activity and the participants changing at the same time, if you keep the activity the same, only one variable will be changing.

With Ds, I couldn’t even move to the side of the room without him having a full scale meltdown. Dd wasn’t as bad as that but she had selective mutism. A lot of patience and very slow baby steps helped.

• Like 2

Instead of having both the activity and the participants changing at the same time, if you keep the activity the same, only one variable will be changing.

With Ds, I couldn’t even move to the side of the room without him having a full scale meltdown. Dd wasn’t as bad as that but she had selective mutism. A lot of patience and very slow baby steps helped.

Is it possible I'm running out of patience in my old(er) age? Yes, to the meltdowns. The bathroom incident I mentioned above, was all tears until I said she could come with me. Then it takes some time before she can join in again.

It's to the point that when we were at Walmart last night, she went with him so I could pick up something for her. When we couldn't find one another, I finished the rest of the shopping and went in line. A couple of minutes later, I see her coming in all tears, almost hyperventilating from crying so much because they couldn't find me. Of course, dh feels bad because he thinks she doesn't want to be with him. Dh thinks it's getting worse because she's with me all day, and said she needed to go to school. Since I know how that would play out, I didn't even give it a thought, or him a say in her schooling. It would not go well. Period. 

Now that I know it is mostly about change, I can feel better about keeping her in one activity. But sheesh, is gymnastics expensive! Soccer would possibly be the same with few changes if we sign her up for the league that runs during the school year.

• Like 2

Good morning! It's The Queen's favorite day! :ack2:

Light day of scbool today - instrument practice (recital on Saturday) and math or grammar, depending on if anyone is behind. We'll try to finish up writing and Midsommer Night's Dream, and then we'll have lessons this afternoon.

Well, we decorated the tree. True to tradition, it was a nightmare. Why do kids fight, even when decorating a $*#>{€§ Christmas Tree??🎄🎄🎄😡

Why don't my family members like putting a trash bag in the trash can? And why do they keep throwing trash into the bagless can???

Miss Maple, our newest staff member, is on the case! :D

Coffee!

• Like 7

Good Monday Morning!

COFFEE!!!!  

Took awhile to fall asleep last night due to excessive afternoon caffeine (EAC) syndrome.  

Violin lesson today. But no school.  Except 16yo ds finishing up chemistry and pre-calc.    

I staged oatmeal in the rice cooker last night.  Yummy.

It was so nice to be away for a few days.  The hotel was clean, and I wasn't responsible for it or much of anything.  So nice.  Now, back to reality!  Biology lab later this week, 14yo dd's last humanties discussion group, 5 dental appointments!, and tickets to Star Wars Friday afternoon!  And then 16yo ds's play this weekend.  Busy.  

• Like 7

Renai, 

If she does soccer every time, do they keep her on the same team?  I know some people would change, but maybe that would help.  

We have the SAME issue with the trash bag here.  Maybe an allergy?   :lol:

I'm not sure about the soccer thing. Usually, after about 8-9 weeks of an activity, she would start to get antsy and start acting up - have a hard time focusing, listening, not wanting to go, etc. So, since most of these activities are divided into 6-9 week intervals (except dance, which she just didn't click - her sister, she is not!), and since we po', I would put her into gymnastics in the summer (a couple of weeks), and the first 9 weeks of fall.

In the spring I put her in soccer. It looked like the team mostly stayed together, and with the same coach, with maybe a couple of team members different. At least that is the vibe I got when she went on in the spring.

The summer soccer is a completely different league, so that would change altogether. So, there is a summer league (AYSO, national), and the year-round. Even though it is year-round, a player has to register for each semester separately for the 8-week term. Yes, it's short. But, that is why there is the potential for changes. (although not big changes, from what I've gathered)

And yes, there is apparently an allergy to plastic bags. I refuse to take out the garbage, however. After 19 years together, dh still complains that he has to take out the garbage. However, I don't budge on that. Oh, well.

• Like 3

I have left the quartet to practice The Hallelujah Chorus on their own. Because I am picky and make them fix things and they get grumpy at me. But really, it's good for them to work out the kinks on their own. Or not. I have other things to do. I did manage to get MIL's birthday card signed and addressed but we are out of stamps. :glare: Also, the dishwasher is running. We'll need another run later today.

• Like 5