Menu

Ignore this thread!

In my incredibly humble opinion, Singapore is butt. Feel better? ;)

(Not really, Singapore fans, I just hate it).

Yes.

Not anymore!   :D

You're butt.

Just add the words "for their family" after whatever is said. But, you did ask...

It just looks so dang complicated to teach.
  • Like 1

The Rubik's cube is smarter than me.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

The Ribik's Cube is smarter than all of us.

I hate Rubik's Cubes.

Everyone can stop telling me what a good program Singapore is now.

I agree with Spud, Singapore is butt.

Well, I do like the mental math portion, I think that's great. But they do a lousy job teaching fractions, and for my one kid who did it up to fifth grade, he needed a lot more review. The "mastery" idea wasn't working for him.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

That's why you add "for your family." For me, Miquon seemed more complicated than Singapore, and this was before SP had a guide. I dropped Miquon like hot potatoes and picked up SP. I used it alongside a Spanish program through 4a or 4b. I remember Dancer telling me, "THIS is how I think!" If I had trouble explaining something, I pulled out Shiller. You know, I didn't purchase Shiller? I won it right when I started homeschooling Dancer. :D

• Like 2

Yes.

You're butt.

No, I'm teach.  Because I like to share useful information with my friends, and how to deal with a recalcitrant puzzle is useful information.  There are more ways than one for solving things, so if you can't get it one way go for another!

• Like 1

Please remind me again what CLE is (acronym)?

I don't know why it truncated the quote.

Christian Light Education. It's another Mennonite Publisher, like R&S except they have write-in workbooks.

We tried several different curriculums for DS2, because he struggles so migthtily in math. I thought TT was the answer, but if you remember from back around Christmas, he'd been totally gaming the system. So, we wet to CLE, which I discovered (through the Boards) because my middle daughter was having so much trouble learning to read in kindergarten. CLE doesn't have a kinder phonics program, they start in first grade. So, I started her in first grade with CLE, she didn't even know her letters and now, at the end of 2nd grade, she's gobbling up chapter books every chance she gets. So, I gave DS the placement test for CLE math and as a 7th grader he placed in 4th grade math. So, we're doing that with him. One thing I love is that they have a very systematic way of teaching how to factor and find GCF, which I was so frustrated by in both TT and Singapore. Those other two seemed so random. Anyhow, I am sold in CLE math.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

We could use a lot of prayers here. Big thunderstorms. I don't know why or how (barometric pressure?) but I was in intense pain all night to the point where I barely slept. Of course Ds has a earlier than normal exam. I don't know how much or how well he slept. He said that he was going to stay up but I didn't see his light on. Anyway... I hope that both of us can function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We could use a lot of prayers here. Big thunderstorms. I don't know why or how (barometric pressure?) but I was in intense pain all night to the point where I barely slept. Of course Ds has a earlier than normal exam. I don't know how much or how well he slept. He said that he was going to stay up but I didn't see his light on. Anyway... I hope that both of us can function.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Dd can solve one side of a Rubik's cube but can't figure out how to do more sides.

Sometimes I can get two opposite sides done, but shortly after that (if I even get that far) I either hand it to DD12 or I pull out my screwdriver.  I haven't watched the lectures repeatedly enough to learn all of the tricks ATB teaches.

• Like 2

Ugh. I edited and then I lost it all, I can't do anything right. I feel like I got run over by a freight train this morning. $&%^# allergies.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  for you, too.  And prayers.  I hope the pain subsides quickly, and the storms don't wallop you too badly.

• Like 2

Good morning!

It's Friday!

Ds12 says his stomach feels a little better but he's so weak it takes a lot of effort just to sit up enough to drink liquids. Poor guy. My friend who had this flu virus said she was knocked off her feet for 8 days.

No one else is allowed to get sick!

More coffee!

• Like 2

I hate Rubik's Cubes.

I agree with Spud, Singapore is butt.

Well, I do like the mental math portion, I think that's great. But they do a lousy job teaching fractions, and for my one kid who did it up to fifth grade, he needed a lot more review. The "mastery" idea wasn't working for him.

Oh, thank goodness.

That's why you add "for your family." For me, Miquon seemed more complicated than Singapore, and this was before SP had a guide. I dropped Miquon like hot potatoes and picked up SP. I used it alongside a Spanish program through 4a or 4b. I remember Dancer telling me, "THIS is how I think!" If I had trouble explaining something, I pulled out Shiller. You know, I didn't purchase Shiller? I won it right when I started homeschooling Dancer. :D

I do think shiller looks cool. I don't need more stuff though. We have C-Rods, an Al Abacus and a clock. We should get money, but I don't want more. Actually I want a big classroom bin of those colord geometric shapes, but thats it. Why are you questioning me? It's none of your business.

I love Singapore math. My kids didn't. Ds did it through sixth grade anyway. Dd didn't.

Dd can solve one side of a Rubik's cube but can't figure out how to do more sides.

It's because she didn't finish Singapore.  

That's the main reason I didn't like it. Also, we felt really locked in to their method. It's now* how dd thinks and at first I thought it didn't matter that she figured out things her own way, but it made things later on incomprehensible bc they could only be done with that method.

Eta: NOT how she thinks

I like this I like this I like this. Thanks.
  • Like 2

Good morning!

It's Friday!

Ds12 says his stomach feels a little better but he's so weak it takes a lot of effort just to sit up enough to drink liquids. Poor guy. My friend who had this flu virus said she was knocked off her feet for 8 days.

No one else is allowed to get sick!

More coffee!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Poor guy!

• Like 1

Summertime (post-Memorial Day) will officially be math, biology labs, finishing YD coding, and art camps.  We lost too much ground on math this school year (even mathy DD12 let it slide and has a lot of work to do to finish) and DD15 seems to be really struggling to cement certain aspects later stuff builds upon.  Part of the problem is "rules" that seem similar but are just different enough between multiplication and addition, or division and subtraction, when it comes to dealing with negatives.  I have pulled out The Algebra Survival Guide to see if its different presentation might help, and have ordered Jacob's Elementary Algebra.  We will have a sit-down meeting with DH, hopefully this weekend, to discuss where she is and how to progress to finish Algebra 1 by Labor Day (if not earlier).

• Like 1

I made muffins this morning!! Lots of them. Blueberry for the kids (the Jiffy brand, out of a box.) and my healthy kind from "Happy Hormones, Slim Belly" with flax seed meal and oatmeal and applesauce and banana and a ton of half & half.

• Like 7

Things get quite confusing when trying to find opportunities for 12- or 13-year-olds who want to learn a new sport or activity.  There are LOTS of newbie classes for much younger kids, and there are LOTS of competitive teams and companies.  DD12 simply wants to try learning for fun right now, to see how she likes it.  Why does everyone expect that a 12- or soon-to-be 13-year-old is already well-trained and competition-minded?

She wants to try soccer over the summer.  We also want to switch dance instruction places, and might want to try a new place or two over the summer before committing for next school year.

I have tried sending an email through the YMCA's online emailer, but it seems to have choked.  I don't know if they have gotten the message -- will wait several days to see.

I found a FFPS soccer league near us, so I have now tried emailing one of their volunteers directly.  I hope she responds promptly and they have available spots over the summer.

If these two don't pan out I'm not sure what else to try, though I will hunt further.

• Like 6

We are starting school late this morning because I wanted to eat my muffins. And I am tired of being a slave to a schedule. So there! I'm breaking free.

That works!  Proper nutrition is a must, and changing pace now and then helps freshen the brain.  We have done our class time and the girls are working on their stuff.  I am doing some of my own homework that has had to wait until now -- researching opportunities for summer and beyond.

• Like 3

Things get quite confusing when trying to find opportunities for 12- or 13-year-olds who want to learn a new sport or activity. There are LOTS of newbie classes for much younger kids, and there are LOTS of competitive teams and companies. DD12 simply wants to try learning for fun right now, to see how she likes it. Why does everyone expect that a 12- or soon-to-be 13-year-old is already well-trained and competition-minded?

She wants to try soccer over the summer. We also want to switch dance instruction places, and might want to try a new place or two over the summer before committing for next school year.

I have tried sending an email through the YMCA's online emailer, but it seems to have choked. I don't know if they have gotten the message -- will wait several days to see.

I found a FFPS soccer league near us, so I have now tried emailing one of their volunteers directly. I hope she responds promptly and they have available spots over the summer.

If these two don't pan out I'm not sure what else to try, though I will hunt further.

Do you know anyone who can give her a few pointers regarding soccer? Practice with her a little? Is she a natural athlete? My oldest son is a natural athlete, so it doesn't take much for him to pick up a new game once he learns a little about it.
  • Like 1

My house smells like Lysol and all humans smell like hand sanitizer.

Well, at least they're clean!

(That was a line from a movie, but I can't remember what. And it wasn't "they", it was "he", but "they" fit better in your context)

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

Do you know anyone who can give her a few pointers regarding soccer? Practice with her a little? Is she a natural athlete? My oldest son is a natural athlete, so it doesn't take much for him to pick up a new game once he learns a little about it.

On a previous visit up north DD12 got to join in a game her cousin's team had going.  It was something they did there to entice kids new to the game to give it a try.  DD12 loved it, but we cannot manage the commute (4 hours each way) to join that team.  We don't know anyone around here involved in soccer, hence DD12's desire to find someplace to learn.  She does learn quickly, and is quite fast on her feet.

• Like 1

I'm also researching possibilities for driver's ed for DD15.  I'm amazed by how many places DON'T list the times & dates of upcoming courses; they just expect students to enroll and be told later, from the looks of things.  'Scuse me, but that just won't fly here.  We have to know WHEN and WHERE DD15 will be expected to be before we decide if we can enroll in the class.   :mad:   This is for the classroom portion, which IS scheduled ahead of time (because they have rules about absences).

• Like 3

This is me. I can get the whole cube a little less than halfway right, and then I start messing up what's already been solved.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Oh, thank goodness.

I do think shiller looks cool. I don't need more stuff though. We have C-Rods, an Al Abacus and a clock. We should get money, but I don't want more. Actually I want a big classroom bin of those colord geometric shapes, but thats it. Why are you questioning me? It's none of your business.

It's because she didn't finish Singapore.   I like this I like this I like this. Thanks.

I ask questions because I'm your big sister and want to know. And since you're also my bestie and you love me, you tell me the things I want to know.

• Like 5

Things get quite confusing when trying to find opportunities for 12- or 13-year-olds who want to learn a new sport or activity.  There are LOTS of newbie classes for much younger kids, and there are LOTS of competitive teams and companies.  DD12 simply wants to try learning for fun right now, to see how she likes it.  Why does everyone expect that a 12- or soon-to-be 13-year-old is already well-trained and competition-minded?

She wants to try soccer over the summer.  We also want to switch dance instruction places, and might want to try a new place or two over the summer before committing for next school year.

I have tried sending an email through the YMCA's online emailer, but it seems to have choked.  I don't know if they have gotten the message -- will wait several days to see.

I found a FFPS soccer league near us, so I have now tried emailing one of their volunteers directly.  I hope she responds promptly and they have available spots over the summer.

:iagree:

This I hate about extracurriculars today.  My son phased out of gymnastics at age 5 (five!) because the only option at that point was the competitive traveling team.  And because I wasn't willing to commit to that, the younger girls didn't do gymnastics either (because hanging out with my five year old son while waiting for the girls was not my idea of an efficient use of time).  Dance requires a year-long commitment and has a hefty price, and team sports times four children very quickly take up way too much time and spread me out over more fields in town than I can manage alone.  

I wish we just had a neighborhood of kids playing stick ball, but such kids are apparently on the endangered species list. 

• Like 5

I finished ALL 4 math sessions this morning, and ALL 4 reading/phonics sessions too, AND did morning meeting.... which got us to lunch at 1:30.  

Yay me!  This never happens.

I really need to find out how 8fill pulled off her 1-on-1 approach and still did anything else in life.  Like cooking. And peeing.  

• Like 8

Alright.  Tackle list.  (But I am putting it here because the sea, you know. If I dive in, I may not come up for another hour.):

-Get ds2 out of high chair. He has been politely asking for 15 minutes and just said again, "Mommy, me nee' get OUT!"

-text babysitter.

-Sort and file math papers and finish planning for math for the Summer.

-4pm- nap ds2 and do group school (grammar, spelling, and Bible).

-Latin DVD for kids while I do laundry.

This may get longer if I actually accomplish all this before dh gets home.  It's pizza night!  He cooks, i relax.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 8

I really need to find out how 8fill pulled off her 1-on-1 approach and still did anything else in life.  Like cooking. And peeing.

I know. I would love to be a fly on the wall in her house.

Am I missing something here?? I feel like I am missing something.
  • Like 3