Menu

Ignore this thread!

Speaking of writing stories, I don't think I told y'all that my older two boys both submitted their own novels to a writing contest over the weekend.  I don't think they hear anything until September.  It's the first time they've done anything like that so we have no idea what to expect.   :eek:

• Like 8

😶

I tried to find the spate of news stories from a few years back when that fad really took off overseas -- or so I thought from news stories of the time.  There really were some places advertising it as a folk dance of American steel workers, though I can't find those stories now.

Instead I am now finding better information about some of the roots of pole dancing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_pole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallakhamba

It has been around a long time, and is now even a competitive sport!  Which actually makes sense, since circus and other physical feats performers use such moves.

I'm still not putting a pole in my bedroom, however.  I'm not that athletic!

Hmm, a fire pole in our 2-story entrance way could be fun, though....

Have your girls heard this? I think they might love it.

Classical Mashup

That's great!  I have to show that to DD12, and maybe her piano teacher.  Maybe DD12 would like to try a simpler such mash-up for the December recital.  (Her next recital is this Saturday, and we are taking a break from music lessons over the summer.)

I especially love that he included some of John Williams's stuff from Star Wars.   :laugh:

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

Speaking of writing stories, I don't think I told y'all that my older two boys both submitted their own novels to a writing contest over the weekend. I don't think they hear anything until September. It's the first time they've done anything like that so we have no idea what to expect. :eek:

Wow - that's fantastic! :)

• Like 2

Dd10 is doing fine. I gave her a big mug of hot lemon water and that seems to have done the trick. (She may be having digestive issues from all the antibiotics last week.)

I'm glad the lemon water helped.  I hope she feels much better soon.

• Like 1

Mary!!!  So good to see you and read your update.  You've been busy!  Congrats on both jobs and adjusting to the new routine.  You're a rock star, not a loser!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Aww thanks! I needed that today. :D 

Critterfixer - how is your book coming along? 

• Like 1

Good morning cuppa!

Sore throats here. 🤧 Hopefully won't get too bad, I wanted to go to the thrift store with my daughter tonight and find my summer wardrobe.

Art class for us today is cancelled.  Art teacher's family is contagious -- even more stuff going around, I guess.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope your congestion proves to be simply sinus drainage and not a bug.

I hear children.  :ph34r:

We're trying a new thing today. Walking *before* breakfast. Wish me luck.  :unsure: They will have yogurt before leaving. It's only 1.78 miles.

Good luck!  How did it go?

I don't want to go back home. Just before I left for Aldi, dd14 broke my violin bow. My good bow that I've had for over 30 years and has been around the world with me. Cracked in half. I'm just sick.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I'm back!! Having breakfast (no cottage cheese, I'm having plain Greek yogurt doctored up with stevia and vanilla over blueberries and strawberries) and cuppa #2 because....COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ðŸ˜Ž

Hope all you sickies start feeling better!!!!

Slashie, how did the walk go??

Susan, I am so sorry about the bow!!😢

The tooth fairy actually made it to my baby's bedside last night, the actual day the tooth came out. Usually she gets lost and winds up putting quarters and an apology note by their place at the table several days later.

• Like 4

My goodness, Mary, you are not a loser! I read your schedule and needed a nap afterwards just to contemplate all that you are doing!

I'm digging through my desk trying to root out the most urgent stuff to tackle today while I wait for the caffeine to kick in.

So, I'm having a gym/pain issue I need you guys to weigh in on.  I'm having pain behind my knees---it's not joint related. I have osteoarthritis in both knees, and I am familiar with how that feels as I'm bone on bone in those joints. It's not a muscle pain either.  Any ideas?  I don't see any visible bruising or varicose veins.

• Like 1

I survived City council. I've been trying to distance myself from the city activist, who I am finding increasingly abrasive. But it doesn't help when I walk into the room and she shouts out my name and says "look everyone at who's here!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean for President. "Vote ITT!! The only party that Makes Sense!!"

Political post!!

Reported!!

• Like 4

My goodness, Mary, you are not a loser! I read your schedule and needed a nap afterwards just to contemplate all that you are doing!

I'm digging through my desk trying to root out the most urgent stuff to tackle today while I wait for the caffeine to kick in.

So, I'm having a gym/pain issue I need you guys to weigh in on.  I'm having pain behind my knees---it's not joint related. I have osteoarthritis in both knees, and I am familiar with how that feels as I'm bone on bone in those joints. It's not a muscle pain either.  Any ideas?  I don't see any visible bruising or varicose veins.

Pulled tendon or ligament?  Meniscal tear?

Are you having any swelling and/or redness?  What kind of pain?

If you prod at various points in your legs (both above and below the knee) are you finding any soreness, tiredness, or tenderness anywhere?

Do you know when it started and/or what might have triggered it?

DH did something nice for me the other evening -- he threw away his "scented" candle wax.  It's the remains of a once much more strongly scented candle, and he's been reheating it on a small laboratory burner.  I asked him if he would turn it off the other evening after he started it up again when I was sitting close by.  I mentioned that it made it a little harder for me to breathe, and noted that I seem to have developed a bit of sensitivity to scented candles over the years.  He stuck a wire in it so he could remove the wax from my glass ramekin that he had purloined, let it solidify, then tossed the wax and cleaned out the ramekin.

I've hinted before at not liking the candles and wax, but this time I managed to find the right words, I guess.  He is happy enough to give up candles.   :001_wub:

• Like 5

I don't want to go back home. Just before I left for Aldi, dd14 broke my violin bow. My good bow that I've had for over 30 years and has been around the world with me. Cracked in half. I'm just sick.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

DH did something nice for me the other evening -- he threw away his "scented" candle wax. It's the remains of a once much more strongly scented candle, and he's been reheating it on a small laboratory burner. I asked him if he would turn it off the other evening after he started it up again when I was sitting close by. I mentioned that it made it a little harder for me to breathe, and noted that I seem to have developed a bit of sensitivity to scented candles over the years. He stuck a wire in it so he could remove the wax from my glass ramekin that he had purloined, let it solidify, then tossed the wax and cleaned out the ramekin.

I've hinted before at not liking the candles and wax, but this time I managed to find the right words, I guess. He is happy enough to give up candles. :001_wub:

Yay for kind and sensitive hubbies!!

I love scented candles, but over the years I've noticed they make me sneeze and my throat swell up.😩

• Like 1

Ok, breakfast is over. I just picked a lovely bouquet of white roses, feverfew and Jupiter's beard (all white) and stuck it in the blue and white ceramic vase I bought in Brazil. I am well-pleased.

Now, on to the business of educating. Sigh!!

And that is a Spring Bouquet Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

Pulled tendon or ligament?  Meniscal tear?

Are you having any swelling and/or redness?  What kind of pain?

If you prod at various points in your legs (both above and below the knee) are you finding any soreness, tiredness, or tenderness anywhere?

Do you know when it started and/or what might have triggered it?

Maybe tendons or ligaments? I feel it more when I am doing squats and lunges, close to where my hamstring lateral trigger points are. 

It feels like a dull heavy ache. No swelling or visible redness, but you can feel some additional heat there.

What's crazy is that I can walk 14k steps in a day without real issues there, but treadmill or bike time or squats or lunges are not fun right now.

• Like 1

Co-worker:  Why weren't these closed out?

Me:  I'll look into it.

What I found:  Documents had no identifiers.  No idea what audit or what findings, because not numbered.  Matched findings which were communicated in an email, which I was not Cc'd on.  It was hidden in an email in a folder within a folder within a folder and with a header that had little to nothing to do with the contents.  Attachments within responses to said findings also not forwarded/Cc'd.  Attachments also saved in the folder in the email, but not separately, and not labelled (Response 1.doc means nothing to me when I have labs all over the country all having audits and responding on a regular basis - response to WHAT?).

I ask you, how in the BLEEP am I supposed to close out something that I can't even identify, and was never entered or communicated to me?

Ain't nobody got time for this.  This ate up 1.5 hours of my day.  You better believe I am charging that time to their lab.  Grrrr.

Okay, I feel better now.  Thanks for letting me get that out.  :leaving:

• Like 8

What I found:  Documents had no identifiers.  No idea what audit or what findings, because not numbered.  Matched findings which were communicated in an email, which I was not Cc'd on.  It was hidden in an email in a folder within a folder within a folder and with a header that had little to nothing to do with the contents.  Attachments within responses to said findings also not forwarded/Cc'd.  Attachments also saved in the folder in the email, but not separately, and not labelled (Response 1.doc means nothing to me when I have labs all over the country all having audits and responding on a regular basis - response to WHAT?).

I ask you, how in the BLEEP am I supposed to close out something that I can't even identify, and was never entered or communicated to me?

Ain't nobody got time for this.  This ate up 1.5 hours of my day.  You better believe I am charging that time to their lab.  Grrrr.

After all of that, you deserve lunch out.  Chinese take-out or something.  Can you charge that to their lab?

• Like 1

So, after much discussion and prayer with dh, we enrolled dd8 in public school for the fall and we're enrolling our youngest in preschool with the intent of her continuing on into public school. I'm suddenly in the world of buying backpacks and lunch boxes for them both.

This change should free me up to be able to continue working very intensively with our son with multiple learning disabilities while still supervising Oldest's work.

• Like 7

Yay for kind and sensitive hubbies!!

I love scented candles, but over the years I've noticed they make me sneeze and my throat swell up.😩

I find the melted wax a bit cloying, even after the scent had long been burned away.  It feels like the scent (when it is there) and the burning wax coat my air passages and I can't easily get oxygen exchanged for carbon dioxide.  That's what it feels like, at any rate.  This sensation has definitely grown over the decades.

Maybe tendons or ligaments? I feel it more when I am doing squats and lunges, close to where my hamstring lateral trigger points are. 

It feels like a dull heavy ache. No swelling or visible redness, but you can feel some additional heat there.

What's crazy is that I can walk 14k steps in a day without real issues there, but treadmill or bike time or squats or lunges are not fun right now.

Yup, sounds like you pulled something.  When it hurts cool it down, and maybe lighten up on the exercises that make it hurt -- just for a few weeks.  Don't go as far into the movements, and/or lighten up the weights and intensity.  Let it rest and heal, then ease back into that level of those exercises.

I think a large part of the pain and limitations on movement I encountered on our trip were due to my knee injury being too recent, combined with hours on end of sitting in a car.  Humidity and barometric pressure might have some part to play, but if that were the main cause I should be near immobile at some point today.  Since returning to our quite humid home I haven't had as much trouble as I expected and have been running about almost like normal.  I'll see later if any expected storms really do materialize here, and if that messes with my knee at all.  I expect, though, not to have too much trouble if I simply keep from re-injuring.  As long as I pay attention to the little OA signs I should be good.

Give yourself a chance to rest and heal.  Change out your exercises to other types if you are worried about backsliding.

• Like 2

Darned straight!  They need to get their communication straightened out.   :mad:

• Like 1

So, after much discussion and prayer with dh, we enrolled dd8 in public school for the fall and we're enrolling our youngest in preschool with the intent of her continuing on into public school. I'm suddenly in the world of buying backpacks and lunch boxes for them both.

This change should free me up to be able to continue working very intensively with our son with multiple learning disabilities while still supervising Oldest's work.

Sounds like a good plan.  Make best use of your finite resources.  Changing tactics is a mark of good generalship.   :grouphug:

• Like 5

Yay for decisions! Yay for making things work for your family! 

• Like 2

Since this morning pretty much was not my idea of fun, I started to think about ITT Island Retreat.  Truth.

So here's what I shall forever think of when I think of ITT Island Retreat:  Necker Island.

Warning:  Do not go Google it unless you want to be jealous of the fact that yes, there are people who can actually afford this.  When Critter finishes her book and becomes a squillionaire, or I win the lottery :), we can all get together on Necker Island.  Okay?

• Like 7

Our one toilet clogged 5 minutes after dh left. I can't find the plunger. Vinegar/baking soda/hot water made it worse. Thank God I remembered to turn the water off or it would have overflowed. Dh is at a class and can't come home. Did I mention this is our only toilet? We've been peeing in the bathtub all day.

Trying to decide whether it's worse to have to run to the store with a feverish kid to buy an extra plunger or run the risk of having to poop on the potty chair.

How far away is the store? 

Oh Susan!  I'm sick for you.  I'm so, so sorry!   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1