Menu

Ignore this thread!

Someone gave us some sweet, gluten free beer. What do I do with it? I was considering marinating a steak in it. Matt will drink it, I'd just like to do something fun. Have you ever had beer cake? It's good, but I don't need to eat more bread right now.

I remember someone making beer muffins when I was little.  Yummy!  And I've had homemade BBQ sauce that had beer in it.  :001_tt1:

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Someone gave us some sweet, gluten free beer. What do I do with it? I was considering marinating a steak in it. Matt will drink it, I'd just like to do something fun. Have you ever had beer cake? It's good, but I don't need to eat more bread right now.

Beer brats and beer cheese soup. (Look up recipes for Byerlys beer cheese soup.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

I am back from set committee. Spent almost 3 hours outside in the sun bending over to paint bricks onto stage scene flats. Now I am tired and thirsty and hungry. The really nice thing is that the yard we were working in had a beautiful grassy lawn, so it was perfect for going barefoot.

P.S. I came home to a house twice as disasterous as when I left. I am going to go hide in my bedroom.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

I am back from set committee. Spent almost 3 hours outside in the sun bending over to paint bricks onto stage scene flats. Now I am tired and thirsty and hungry. The really nice thing is that the yard we were working in had a beautiful grassy lawn, so it was perfect for going barefoot.

I have not done set construction in a very long time.  What play is your group preparing for?

Do you like to pile everything in the kitchen sink if the dishwasher is full and running?  I don't.  Dh does.  It makes me very grumpy to take stuff out of the sink so that I have some place to actually wash the dishes, go to the bathroom and then come back to find everything piled in the sink again.  But. . . in the end, the dishes got all washed and the kitchen is all clean. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 5

Shrek the Musical 🙄

Do your kids have parts?

When I was in high school, I loved being involved in the yearly musical...backstage.  Mostly I controlled lights, although I did help with some set construction.  My nickname was The Light Goddess.  :)

I was also a prop manager for a college production of Seven Brides.

Dd13 has been bitten by the drama bug, so it will be interesting to see where that leads.  She had a role in a production of Ruth last year.  Ds15 ran the lights.   :D

• Like 2

Have any of you tried directed dreaming?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd never heard of the term, but I used to control my dreams very well. If I didn't like how something was going, I'd rewind and try another option. I do that somewhat now, but not as much as when I was younger. I'd also make sure I had something in my brain that I wouldn't mind dreaming about before I'd fall asleep. I've solved many problems that way.

• Like 5

Matt's at the grocery store. I did him the kindness of finishing the leftover pizza to make room.

Do you like to pile everything in the kitchen sink if the dishwasher is full and running?  I don't.  Dh does.  It makes me very grumpy to take stuff out of the sink so that I have some place to actually wash the dishes, go to the bathroom and then come back to find everything piled in the sink again.  But. . . in the end, the dishes got all washed and the kitchen is all clean. 

Whoever is responsible for loading the dishwasher (the one who didn't cook) is responsible for running it on time or they have to hand wash as punishment. It's easy with only two responsible parties. Ask me again in 10 years.

Matt's at the grocery store. I did him the kindness of finishing the leftover pizza to make room.

Whoever is responsible for loading the dishwasher (the one who didn't cook) is responsible for running it on time or they have to hand wash as punishment. It's easy with only two responsible parties. Ask me again in 10 years.

I get the punishment of doing all the cooking and running the dishwasher (dd unloads it) and doing the handwashing.  But apparently I'm not a "good Christian wife" (according to a very conservative friend) because I tell dh to get his own lunch if I'm busy with other stuff. 

Edited to say, actually it doesn't matter if I'm busy with other stuff or not.  He can still get his own lunch. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

Do your kids have parts?

When I was in high school, I loved being involved in the yearly musical...backstage.  Mostly I controlled lights, although I did help with some set construction.  My nickname was The Light Goddess.   :)

I was also a prop manager for a college production of Seven Brides.

Dd13 has been bitten by the drama bug, so it will be interesting to see where that leads.  She had a role in a production of Ruth last year.  Ds15 ran the lights.   :D

I did a lot of singing and acting in junior high and high school.  I was really disappointed in college to find that it was this rarefied clique of people in the acting department, so I didn't even bother to try out for stuff. 

I get the punishment of doing all the cooking and running the dishwasher (dd unloads it) and doing the handwashing.  But apparently I'm not a "good Christian wife" (according to a very conservative friend) because I tell dh to get his own lunch if I'm busy with other stuff. 

Edited to say, actually it doesn't matter if I'm busy with other stuff or not.  He can still get his own lunch. 

Matt cooks if I'm too sick*, otherwise I do. He makes his lunches every morning and if he's really loud and wakes me up I make him make me breakfast too. I must be a horrible wife. Oh well.

*I'm nauseated when I'm not pregnant too so he cooks a lot.

• Like 1

I am ketchupped. 

On dishes-I put them in the sink with a soapy water moat until they get their turn in the dishwasher. The soapy water is my ant-trap, because I won't use poisons. 

On anniversary-DH is mowing the lawn in the drizzle. He likes to mow lawns, so he is happy in his way. I'm fixing to sit down with Two Steps from Hell and write a few thousand words, so I am happy in my way.

On acting--I have always been ever so slightly jealous of people who can act in theater. I've even tried out a time or two. I can't act. So I must go on being slightly jealous.

On directed dreaming-I often have long nights of dreaming that I'm working in one of the clinics and the people and animals won't stop coming in the door. So I would just work all night. I finally taught myself to walk out of the exam room in my dreams. My dreams promptly started giving me difficult medical cases or surgical cases to work on, and so far, I can't make myself leave those dreams until things are resolved. 

Speaking of surgical cases, updates on Miss Marley?

• Like 5

I'd never heard of the term, but I used to control my dreams very well. If I didn't like how something was going, I'd rewind and try another option. I do that somewhat now, but not as much as when I was younger. I'd also make sure I had something in my brain that I wouldn't mind dreaming about before I'd fall asleep. I've solved many problems that way.

Lucid dreaming.  I'd do that, too.  Same pattern, also.  I did it a lot when I was younger, but it happens less frequently now.  I don't seem to dream as vividly as I used to.

• Like 3

Hello, Ladies! Well, it's been a productive morning! Visited my aunt in the nursing home. Did I ever mention back in January that she went in for surgery, had the surgery, and didn't wake up for 6 weeks? Well, it's been a very long, slow process, but she's recovering. So, I brought oldest dd, who related her experience as the hostage of our elderly cat, as well as other amusing cat stories, and brought her a bouquet from my rose garden. She was glad to see us! I also went grocery shopping, and got a nice big box of strawberries. Got the strawberries from a stand, not the grocery store. Stand strawberries are a different variety from grocery store strawberries and are infinitely better, IMO.

Regarding dishes, if they don't fit in the dishwasher I wash them by hand. I hate dishes just sitting there. Wherever "there" may be.

Regarding dreams... I'd love to be able to direct my dreams. Last night's was vivid and just bizarre. Not disturbing or scary, but annoying.

On acting, never done it. But when I taught junior high I did help direct a couple of plays, which was a lot of fun!

And now, I have a bathroom to clean and VBS stuff to tackle!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

I was in the car answering questions. No making out in the car. ;)

I was a singer and actress all through college.

Heard from the medical director about Marley, who is doing well and is getting her IV pulled today. We will pick her up tomorrow mid afternoon.

It is beautiful here and we are having a nice time. I woke up with the thought that I did not have to make Regular Breakfast. :D

• Like 10

Matt cooks if I'm too sick*, otherwise I do. He makes his lunches every morning and if he's really loud and wakes me up I make him make me breakfast too. I must be a horrible wife. Oh well.

*I'm nauseated when I'm not pregnant too so he cooks a lot.

Well, I am clearly the spawn of satan wife because not only does dh make his own lunch every day, he makes breakfast for the entire family almost every morning.

In Shrek, Dd17 is one of the 3 pigs, one of the 3 blind mice, and part of the dragon (which is played by 3 people). She loves doing musicals. I think all the kids would love to do theater, but it just costs too much to involve everyone. High schoolers get to do their activities and the youngers do whatever else we can fit in time/money-wise.

• Like 5

I am the worst Christian wife ever. I make no meals for Dh. He is welcome to what the rest of us are having or not. He prefers to get his own food a lot. Picky people should get their own food.

I also have a very smart mouth.

I'm surprised he still likes me but he really does. :D

• Like 5

Well, I am clearly the spawn of satan wife because not only does dh make his own lunch every day, he makes breakfast for the entire family almost every morning.

In Shrek, Dd17 is one of the 3 pigs, one of the 3 blind mice, and part of the dragon (which is played by 3 people). She loves doing musicals. I think all the kids would love to do theater, but it just costs too much to involve everyone. High schoolers get to do their activities and the youngers do whatever else we can fit in time/money-wise.

Mine probably would too but he leaves for work at 5:30 and we're all asleep.

I need someone to walk around after me zapping me with a cattle prod so that I will get things done.

I'm creating something like that for the kids. I'll mail you one when I perfect it. Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

It turned out that we were in a mood for Credence Clearwater Revival instead of Two Steps from Hell. Hmm.  Sometimes I think this character just has days that he wants to fight the world, and other days he'd just like to get along in it. Today is evidently a "get along" day.

• Like 3

How long after I've told Rocky "no" for barking, can I do what he wanted me to do in the first place?  I don't want to reward him for the barking. 

5 minutes, unless he continues. Dogs have almost no concept of time. As long as he's not begging you're good.

• Like 2

I have all this VBS work to do and ... I just don't want to do it. I get up, get more coffee, get Sudafed because I can't breathe, check FB, check ITT, see how many "likes" I have, get more coffee... I think the real issue is that I can't breathe and my head feels like someone is driving an iron spike through my left temple.

• Like 2

Ok, so, are bangs coming back in style? I keep having people getting their haircut with bangs. And it looks cute. And I'm just wondering, is this something I need to do?

Bangs are back.  Do what you want with your hair. Life is too short to do otherwise. 

Slache--we used the cozi app for years until we switched to icalendar and texting.

• Like 1

Yes, bangs are back. Get them if you like them. I had a fringe for a while because I had skin discolouration after pregnancy and it took years to fade and if I got even a wee bit of sun on my giant forehead, it made it worse.

I grew my fringe out when I grew out the pixie.

• Like 1

Yes, bangs are back. Get them if you like them. I had a fringe for a while because I had skin discolouration after pregnancy and it took years to fade and if I got even a wee bit of sun on my giant forehead, it made it worse.

I grew my fringe out when I grew out the pixie.

Maybe I'll do bangs. I don't know. My one girlfriend got her hair highlighted and got bangs and she just looks great! And bangs aren't much of a commitment. But my hairdresser hates bangs. Hmm! I just need to do something different. I'm having a midlife crisis. And I can't afford a sports car (and can't fit 5 kids in one, either) and an affair is out of the question.... so.... maybe bangs.
  • Like 6

Dd is miserably prepping for an English final which will focus heavily on deconstruction.  

I've been amusing myself with reading critiques such as as "How to Deconstruct Almost Anything" https://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/decon.html

Lit crit has gone insane since I graduated. 

"Looking at the field of contemporary literary criticism as a whole also yields some valuable insights. It is a cautionary lesson about the consequences of allowing a branch of academia that has been entrusted with the study of important problems to become isolated and inbred. The Pseudo Politically Correct term that I would use to describe the mind set of postmodernism is "epistemologically challenged": a constitutional inability to adopt a reasonable way to tell the good stuff from the bad stuff. The language and idea space of the field have become so convoluted that they have confused even themselves. But the tangle offers a safe refuge for the academics. It erects a wall between them and the rest of the world. It immunizes them against having to confront their own failings, since any genuine criticism can simply be absorbed into the morass and made indistinguishable from all the other verbiage. Intellectual tools that might help prune the thicket are systematically ignored or discredited. This is why, for example, science, psychology and economics are represented in the literary world by theories that were abandoned by practicing scientists, psychologists and economists fifty or a hundred years ago. The field is absorbed in triviality. Deconstruction is an idea that would make a worthy topic for some bright graduate student's Ph.D. dissertation but has instead spawned an entire subfield. Ideas that would merit a good solid evening or afternoon of argument and debate and perhaps a paper or two instead become the focus of entire careers." 

• Like 6

Dd is miserably prepping for an English final which will focus heavily on deconstruction.  

I've been amusing myself with reading critiques such as as "How to Deconstruct Almost Anything" https://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/decon.html

Lit crit has gone insane since I graduated. 

"Looking at the field of contemporary literary criticism as a whole also yields some valuable insights. It is a cautionary lesson about the consequences of allowing a branch of academia that has been entrusted with the study of important problems to become isolated and inbred. The Pseudo Politically Correct term that I would use to describe the mind set of postmodernism is "epistemologically challenged": a constitutional inability to adopt a reasonable way to tell the good stuff from the bad stuff. The language and idea space of the field have become so convoluted that they have confused even themselves. But the tangle offers a safe refuge for the academics. It erects a wall between them and the rest of the world. It immunizes them against having to confront their own failings, since any genuine criticism can simply be absorbed into the morass and made indistinguishable from all the other verbiage. Intellectual tools that might help prune the thicket are systematically ignored or discredited. This is why, for example, science, psychology and economics are represented in the literary world by theories that were abandoned by practicing scientists, psychologists and economists fifty or a hundred years ago. The field is absorbed in triviality. Deconstruction is an idea that would make a worthy topic for some bright graduate student's Ph.D. dissertation but has instead spawned an entire subfield. Ideas that would merit a good solid evening or afternoon of argument and debate and perhaps a paper or two instead become the focus of entire careers." 

:svengo:

Critter has bangs, lovely dark hair with dark low-lights and Critter loves her hair. 

Also put in over 3,000 words today, and my shoulders and neck are killing me, so Imma get me some magic blue pills and a bran bag for the back of my neck now.

• Like 9

Ok...quick science-y question.  

What do you do with your kids for "Science Lab Safety"?  LOL!  I mean...we're going to be doing some chemistry and although there's nothing hard core here...I want the kids to get into good habits...so I'm ordering safety goggles (because three of the four wear glasses).  

And then I was all like...should I order lab coats?  Latex gloves?  Do they even make latex gloves that fit kids 10 and under?  Is it SAFE to wear latex when you're that age (because this is how my brain works, people).  

So I thought I'd ask the ITT.  What do you think is necessary?