Menu

Ignore this thread!

You can always get those big ones for you and Matt and as the kids get big and then pick up some small ones at Target when you are out next.

I used sippy cups with kids Mary's age and small cups with my bigger kids.  We still use mostly take away cups from restaurants - our cups say "Mexican Inn", "Fuzzy's Tacos", and "Rudy's bbq" cuz we're classy like that.  We have small and large ones.   I bought myself some huge, clear, plastic cups to use.  The rest of the fam uses the restaurant ones.  We have some glasses stashed away if the Queen of England or RD,Jr. ever drop by.

I was hoping to simplify it with one type of cup. That's why I want the fiestawear too. Just less to deal with.

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Confession - I really dislike drinking from plastic cups. I threw the last of ours out of the kitchen when youngest was about 8.

Some of them still linger in our camping box so I can have bouts of nostalgia when I see them once a year at the lake.  

Tex, when I come over, pls pull out a real glass for me, k? I figure I'm right up there with RD, Jr & Liz. 

• Like 7

I need to place an order at Amazon so I was going to throw these in my cart too. They've been on my list for a few months. What do we think? Is 20 ounces good, or too big? I can't find higher quality ones I like better. These are to for both the kids and adults as the kids' cups have worn out and Matt's broken many of our glasses. And dishes. And appliances. And a car.

20 ounces is huge, in my opinion.  Esp. for young children.  I would see if they have smaller ones. 

• Like 3

Prairie - regarding Life of Pi -  that's what I was thinking of as well.  I agree - not a purely positive read, lol. 

Slache - regarding cups - I agree with short, fat tumblers.  I bought used Tupperware mugs off of ebay when the kids were younger.  I like these:  http://www.amazon.com/Tervis-12-ounce-Clear-Tumbler/dp/B000Z4IN82/ref=sr_1_16?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1460653717&sr=1-16&keywords=tumblers+tervisbut they are pricey! 

• Like 2

Confession - I really dislike drinking from plastic cups. I threw the last of ours out of the kitchen when youngest was about 8.

Some of them still linger in our camping box so I can have bouts of nostalgia when I see them once a year at the lake.  

Tex, when I come over, pls pull out a real glass for me, k? I figure I'm right up there with RD, Jr & Liz. 

DS has been drinking out of glass since he was 4 or 5.  He has a sippy cup for a while for daycare, but at home we just always gave him a rocks glass.  And yes, they say Jim Beam on them, because I got them for freeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Like 2

I was hoping to simplify it with one type of cup. That's why I want the fiestawear too. Just less to deal with.

Nope.  Not the time to simplify yet.  :lol:   Either they drink from big cups or you drink from small ones.  Like Susan, we drink water almost all the time so spills are not a big deal.

I will give you a real glass because you are up there with RD,Jr, for sure.

• Like 4

I would get them. My kids all use 20oz cups. Sometimes they get knocked over. We mostly drink water so it's not a huge deal.

I'm thinking about this. They have water bottles. Glasses are really for when we're making juice, smoothies, milkshakes and such, and in those cases we pour them ourselves in the kitchen.

Those are doable. There's enough pink and purple for *someone* to never throw a fit because we don't have the right color.

I prefer glass too....but after losing about 8 glass cups to our tile floors, I'm cool with waiting a bit longer in life.

Yeah, same here. I have a glass water bottle.

I am fantasizing again - about going somewhere warm where I can sleep for hours and hours and hours.  And get up and have breakfast (and lunch and dinner) prepared for me - tasty but uber healthy dinners with an occasional wonderful dessert.  And I can walk on the sandy beach in solitude (but without worrying about being mugged or something because I'm alone).  And I can teleport my dh and kids to where I am when I'm lonely but can teleport them away when I'm not.  And I will come back to an organized clean house when I eventually have to go back to real life (this is the real fantastical part).  Oh, and I can read lovely books and not feel guilty about all the stuff that I should be doing. 

• Like 7

Slache - regarding cups - I agree with short, fat tumblers.  I bought used Tupperware mugs off of ebay when the kids were younger.  I like these:  http://www.amazon.com/Tervis-12-ounce-Clear-Tumbler/dp/B000Z4IN82/ref=sr_1_16?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1460653717&sr=1-16&keywords=tumblers+tervisbut they are pricey! 

Do they break easily?

DS has been drinking out of glass since he was 4 or 5.  He has a sippy cup for a while for daycare, but at home we just always gave him a rocks glass.  And yes, they say Jim Beam on them, because I got them for freeeeeeeeeeeeee.

John drinks out of glass all of the time. HE'S NOT THE PROBLEM!!

• Like 1

Prairie - regarding Life of Pi -  that's what I was thinking of as well.  I agree - not a purely positive read, lol. 

We have a few tall ones like that for outside on the patio, but I don't like them because the lip is really thick and I always end up dribbling on myself.   I have cup issues, I think.

• Like 2

Pricey is okay. Pricey just means not today.

Now you have looking at glassware, and I want these for me:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00016B04S?psc=1

LOVE!

• Like 1

Do they break easily?

John drinks out of glass all of the time. HE'S NOT THE PROBLEM!!

Neither the tupperware nor the tervis have broken easily.  In fact, we've never broken a tervis.  We have 4 of the taller ones we received as a gift one Christmas.  I *think* they have some kind of guarantee, but not sure how long. 

Neither the tupperware nor the tervis have broken easily.  In fact, we've never broken a tervis.  We have 4 of the taller ones we received as a gift one Christmas.  I *think* they have some kind of guarantee, but not sure how long. 

http://www.tervis.com/12-tumbler

For glasses, I just go down to the Cost Plus World Market and pick some up.  When my kids were little we had the Ikea plastic cups. 

Good call!

• Like 1

Now you have me looking at glassware, and I want these for me:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00016B04S?psc=1

I've changed my mind.  I want these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Stemless-Glasses-Fully-Colored/dp/B00KSYAHQK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_79_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=41G-FCBXcXL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0TT2RQBRVV73H11JRJ4J

In the purple.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2

I feel a huge bout of inappropriateness coming on!  Must exit internet now.

Speaking of inappropriateness, I just suggested to dd that instead of getting dressed, we just toss off our clothes and play nudist.  She choked on her egg. 

Going to put day clothes on now.  :leaving:

• Like 6

my date in New York. Not really because I haven't donated to this campaign but I think he'll take me anyway. 

I knew I forgot something important in my fragmented attempt to update Ducklings (and she hasn't even come back to read it, lol.)  Hornblower is taking us all on her date with RD for the best night of our lives!  :laugh: :svengo:

• Like 7

I am fantasizing again - about going somewhere warm where I can sleep for hours and hours and hours.  And get up and have breakfast (and lunch and dinner) prepared for me - tasty but uber healthy dinners with an occasional wonderful dessert.  And I can walk on the sandy beach in solitude (but without worrying about being mugged or something because I'm alone).  And I can teleport my dh and kids to where I am when I'm lonely but can teleport them away when I'm not.  And I will come back to an organized clean house when I eventually have to go back to real life (this is the real fantastical part).  Oh, and I can read lovely books and not feel guilty about all the stuff that I should be doing. 

Dd & I were just talking about the concept of sanatorium vacations in Eastern Europe. In English the word is really limited to treatment facilitates for chronic illness but in Poland, it was also a  *thing* to go to one for vacation. One of my aunts did for a couple weeks each year. It was like a health resort. Good meals, massages, new hobbies (you could take up water colors etc.), guided walks in nature etc. You weren't necessarily ill to go there, you just went to rest and just de-stress. Many were near hot springs or beaches or lakes. 

A very good all inclusive in Mexico or the Caribbean is close to that idea. 

I'm not sure how you get the organized house when you get home though....

beach booyah!

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 8

I am fantasizing again - about going somewhere warm where I can sleep for hours and hours and hours. And get up and have breakfast (and lunch and dinner) prepared for me - tasty but uber healthy dinners with an occasional wonderful dessert. And I can walk on the sandy beach in solitude (but without worrying about being mugged or something because I'm alone). And I can teleport my dh and kids to where I am when I'm lonely but can teleport them away when I'm not. And I will come back to an organized clean house when I eventually have to go back to real life (this is the real fantastical part). Oh, and I can read lovely books and not feel guilty about all the stuff that I should be doing.

You forgot Rocco the cabana boy who will massage your feet, bring you tall drinks with umbrellas in them and turn the pages of your book for you!
  • Like 8

You're a great fantasizer, Jean.  Can I come and be your book-minder?  I'll even read aloud to you when you want to rest your eyes.

• Like 2