Like a color slide

Or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem

And watch him probe his way out,

Or walk inside the poem's room

And feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski

Across the surface of a poem

Waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do

Is tie the poem to a chair with rope

And torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose

To find out what it really means.

I also like "Rebecca, Who Slammed Doors for Fun and Perished Miserably" by Hilaire Belloc.

• Like 6

I like poetry, but I'm sure I don't appreciate it for what it is. Whoever said Shakespeare was bad for poetry is wrong.

Critterfixer, I thought I was wrong about curriculum/a based on something someone said, but apparently I had it right, so thanks. When I first joined the forum someone was really nasty to me and said I used curricula wrong but she was wrong and I've been really gun shy about the whole thing since. I almost left because of her. No one would be surprised if I gave her name up, but board rules and such. She's a nasty one.

Linsey left. We had tea and talked all about theology and life and marriage and such. She took my John MacArthur commentary home to see if she wants to buy one. We also talked about her job because Matt's considering going back to school to do what she does. She looks at blood, urine and poop under a microscope and makes twice what Matt does and loves her job. Matt wants something different but he's not sure what.

• Like 2

Me too!!!

(For one, I'm too much of a literalist. For two, I'm more practical than flowery. For three, I'm not big into emotion and drama. For four, sometimes I don't know what they're talking about. For five, why don't they just say it already. For six, aint nobody got time for dat.)

Thank you for coming out along with me. I feel better now.

Sometimes two words both starting with the same letter is just a coincidence, and not a poet waxing eloquently on the meaning of life, yo. We don't need to read into every single thing. I love MCT for grammar, but even DS is starting to hate poetry. And I am really trying to like it again and not throw my hands up and say, "This is bull!" for his sake, but it is hard. I had teachers who loved poetry, and never once was I able to feel what they felt. Bleh.

• Like 2

I love poetry, but I will love those of you who don't.  Seriously, though, who doesn't love "The Walrus and the Carpenter".  It's funny, yo.  The same people who hate The Princess Bride??? :leaving:

I am home from braces.  There is nothing left of me.  The odd father called me because he wanted to reuse a stamp he received in the mail but doesn't know if it is the right amount so he needed me to tell him what the US postage stamp costs now but I don't know since I only buy forever stamps anyway.   Hence and thus.

I feel shredded.  I need someone to make me some pudding and put me to bed.

• Like 2

Kind of funny, but one of my boys and I have been having a similar conversation about art lately. We went through Sister Wendy's Story of Painting together, and we've reached the Modern Art section. And I can't see what she sees. And neither can my son. And it's really hard to appreciate what you can't see. You can't do it without feeling a lot like the little boy in The Emperor's New Clothes. 

And there's something to be said for being able to look at something and say, "You know what? I don't see that, and really, I don't like this painting, poem, story or whatever it may be." 

• Like 3

For Critter:

The naughty kitten received today:

Torbugesic 10 mg/ml

Cerenia 10 mg/ml inj

Anzemet 20 mg/ml

subcutaneous fluids

convenia injection 80 mg/ml

They also charged me $78 for a combo test, which I thought was kind of steep, and it was unlikely she had cat diseases but I needed to know and agreed to it since we have another cat who is old and I have stopped vaccinating due to her 100% indoor status and her autoimmune-ish issues (stomatitis).

I am not a doctor, dentist or vet, but I play one on TV.

• Like 1

Kind of funny, but one of my boys and I have been having a similar conversation about art lately. We went through Sister Wendy's Story of Painting together, and we've reached the Modern Art section. And I can't see what she sees. And neither can my son. And it's really hard to appreciate what you can't see. You can't do it without feeling a lot like the little boy in The Emperor's New Clothes. 

And there's something to be said for being able to look at something and say, "You know what? I don't see that, and really, I don't like this painting, poem, story or whatever it may be." 

Little dd and I have been watching the Sister Wendy's The Complete Collection DVD's.  We love it.

Some people see beauty in math and some in art and poetry.

• Like 3

Critter, I need all of that stuff to cure my sick cat so dh and I can go on our first two night trip away in 14 years on Friday.  Tell me that all of that stuff will cure my sick cat.  I am essentially force feeding her about a quarter of a teaspoon of canned food every hour.  I just put it into her mouth because she won't touch it on her own.  She is much more affectionate and sweet while she is sick, by the way.

The vet said that her lower abdomen was very tender.  I thought someone said the cat got some buprenorphine but I don't see it listed on my receipt.

ok, how do you feel about slam poetry? 

How about Shane Koyczan?  Here's a TED talk of him. Start at the 5 min mark. Be warned that *before* the 5 min mark there is some swearing. After that it's clean. At a bit past 6 the poem starts.... 

And there's a line that always makes me cry. 

https://www.ted.com/talks/shane_koyczan_to_this_day_for_the_bullied_and_beautiful?language=en#t-339549

Also, Lily (the gut-kneading cat) is weirded out by the kitten.  She sniffs her, acts like she is made of dynamite, and hisses at her for no reason.  Lily adds insult to injury.  I know the kitten smells weird due to all of her odd treatments, but the poor thing.  Lily needs to be nicer.

Critter, I need all of that stuff to cure my sick cat so dh and I can go on our first two night trip away in 14 years on Friday.  Tell me that all of that stuff will cure my sick cat.  I am essentially force feeding her about a quarter of a teaspoon of canned food every hour.  I just put it into her mouth because she won't touch it on her own.  She is much more affectionate and sweet while she is sick, by the way.

They pick the very worst times to get sick, don't they?

That stuff is all good symptomatic therapy for an unhappy GI tract. I wonder if they did use Buprinex and listed Torb. Torbugesic just doesn't seem to do it for cats as well as the Buprinorphine does. If she got the latter you should get about 6 to maybe 8 hours of pain control, unless they used the new one that just came out that is a 24 hour pain med. I haven't used that one yet.

Fluids to me are the big thing. There just doesn't seem to be anything (except for unhappy kidneys) that sucks a cat dry like an inflamed GI tract, regardless of the cause. 

I don't like tender abdomens. They worry me. I think if she isn't feeling better in the next 12-24 I would recheck things. 

They pick the very worst times to get sick, don't they?

That stuff is all good symptomatic therapy for an unhappy GI tract. I wonder if they did use Buprinex and listed Torb. Torbugesic just doesn't seem to do it for cats as well as the Buprinorphine does. If she got the latter you should get about 6 to maybe 8 hours of pain control, unless they used the new one that just came out that is a 24 hour pain med. I haven't used that one yet.

Fluids to me are the big thing. There just doesn't seem to be anything (except for unhappy kidneys) that sucks a cat dry like an inflamed GI tract, regardless of the cause. 

I don't like tender abdomens. They worry me. I think if she isn't feeling better in the next 12-24 I would recheck things. 

Thanks.  I will keep a close eye on her.  She has been drinking, which is rare.  (You know how cats are...not big drinkers.)  Having two cats makes it harder to keep as close an eye on her because I can't use litter box output as a measure.

Edited by texasmama

I'm gonna have some popcorn.

I'm eating jelly beans. And I'm supposed to be on a 30-day sugar fast. Which was going great until I had an overwhelming craving for Sees candy and ate 2 of the Sees Easter eggs in DH's dresser. And now I am on a downward spiral straight to the pit of.... Oh, nevermind!
  • Like 5

Okay. Since this is the ITT, I feel like I can make a confession.

I hate poetry. :leaving: :leaving:

I don't really like poetry, but I do like some poems. I love "Solitude" by Ella Wheeler Wilcox. That's my favorite. I like "The Wind and the Moon" by George MacDonald and "The Destruction of Sennacherib" but Lord Byron.
  • Like 2

I'll bet she's drinking. Trying to cool her hot gut off. Poor kitteh. I hope she feels better very soon.

Thanks!  I was shocked at how fast a cat's guts can go bad.  Her spleen, for instance.  When the vet was talking about it and showing me the x ray, I was like, "And this is acute?  All of this can just come up in three days???"  It seems like it would take people three years to get such bad-looking insides.  Dh texted and asked what was wrong with her, and I said, "Her guts are a mess."  

• Like 2

Dd9 said the neighbor boy (6yo) pinched her eyelid today because he was mad about something. I told her that next time he or his brother pull that kind of crap, they all have my permission to beat the snot out of him.

They were shocked and waxed eloquent about how they were, to paraphrase, "lovers, not fighters". 🙄

• Like 5

I love poetry, but I will love those of you who don't.  Seriously, though, who doesn't love "The Walrus and the Carpenter".  It's funny, yo.  The same people who hate The Princess Bride??? :leaving:

<snip>

No.  I love The Princess Bride!  :001_tt1:

#misfit

#neverfitinanygroup

#rulebreaker

• Like 3

Dd9 said the neighbor boy (6yo) pinched her eyelid today because he was mad about something. I told her that next time he or his brother pull that kind of crap, they all have my permission to beat the snot out of him.

They were shocked and waxed eloquent about how they were, to paraphrase, "lovers, not fighters". 🙄

Imma pinch that boy's eyelids!

• Like 4

Now I want to be a vet, but I think it is too late, plus I am too brain dead to manage any more college.

I believe veterinarians now have the dubious distinction of one of the highest rates of suicide among medical professionals. There is a lot that is rewarding, and a lot that hurts for a very long time. :sad:

I believe veterinarians now have the dubious distinction of one of the highest rates of suicide among medical professionals. There is a lot that is rewarding, and a lot that hurts for a very long time. :sad:

How horrible!  You know, my time in the animal rescue business was very sad and heart-breaking.  I can absolutely imagine this.  But I spent years working with kids in foster care, so my soul and psyche are already pretty scarred.  I cannot go back to that, though.  

If I were going to be a vet, I would also need to be very rich so I could go about giving free vet care to shelter animals.

There are a lot of if's involved.

• Like 2

I do!  That's why I needed to know if you would throat punch too.  I want all the Tex moves!

It's an I wanna be Tex BOOYAH!!!

:lol:

The rule is "When in doubt, throat punch." :laugh:

If I like someone's post and then don't like the next five posts and then like someone's post, it isn't because I'm dissing anyone.  It's because I lose likes, gain them and then lose them again.  And I don't want to stop the momentum of my ketchup in order to go back to like things.  So likety, like, like. 

I know it is because you hate me and you don't want to be me.

• Like 3