• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I would have sworn on my favorite internal medicine text that my little kitteh had a foreign body. Even looked like it on a GI study. It wasn't-but boy was that intestine mad. However, fluids, antibiotics, antiemetics and pain management did resolve her problem in the end. That was quite the Thanksgiving week, though.

This is what I'm hoping for. And she sleeps in the spartan kid's room.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

Neuter rule states that the nominative and object case of a neuter noun always ends in a.

#obligatorylatinpost

#aintIclever

#notreally

Curriculum Curricula

Curriculi. Curriculorum

Curriculo. Curriculis

Curriculum. Curricula

Curriculo. Curriculis

I love declining nouns!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Quackersh sends her love to the ITT.  She said to give you all oodles of hugs from her.  :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: And a booyah. 

(Her computer has been hijacked by ducklings for long periods of time.)

Someone needs to buy herself an iPhone.

• Like 4

Neuter rule states that the nominative and object case of a neuter noun always ends in a.

#obligatorylatinpost

#aintIclever

#notreally

There are two rules for Neuter nouns that everyone should know:

1. ALL neuter nouns match in ending for Nominative and Accusative cases always

2. The Nominative Plural ending is always  -a

I'm not sure what you said, Critterfixer, is wholly accurate in light of the above.  However, I gleaned my information from the internet*, and we all know how that usually turns out. :) 

*Disclaimer: I took Greek, not Latin.

• Like 3

In Latin, all nouns fit into tidy little suitcases called cases. If you want to use a noun as a subject, you have to use the nominative suitcase. If you want to use it as an direct object, you have to use the direct object suitcase. 

For a noun of neuter gender (because all nouns have gender, number, case and declension) the nominative and direct object case in the plural end in -a. It holds true across all the declensions as far as I know--which is kind of cool.

#latinsnob

#germannotsomuch

#boutsofgobbledegookthatIcantdonothingabout

• Like 3

Neuter rule states that the nominative and object case of a neuter PLURAL noun always ends in a.

#obligatorylatinpost

#aintIclever

#notreally

In Latin, all nouns fit into tidy little suitcases called cases. If you want to use a noun as a subject, you have to use the nominative suitcase. If you want to use it as an direct object, you have to use the direct object suitcase. 

For a noun of neuter gender (because all nouns have gender, number, case and declension) the nominative and direct object case in the plural end in -a. It holds true across all the declensions as far as I know--which is kind of cool.

#latinsnob

#germannotsomuch

#boutsofgobbledegookthatIcantdonothingabout

Did you mean neuter plural, then, in your original post?  Or is it -a even in the singular?

• Like 1

Not in the singular. On the singular side, the nominative and the accusative forms are the same. Same word. Same ending. But on the plural side, those same case forms end in a.

Like so:

Nominative   bellum     bella 

Genitive        belli         bellorum

Dative           bello        bellis

Accusative    bellum     bella

Ablative        bello       bellis

Singular    Plural

• Like 3

I need a new poem for our memorization. I'm considering something by Keats. I'm saving Shakespeare for summer.

I had a British Lit prof in college who loved Keats. When he was lecturing on the life of Keats and came to Keats' death, he broke down and cried. Right there in class. The class cried with him.
  • Like 5

I had a British Lit prof in college who loved Keats. When he was lecturing on the life of Keats and came to Keats' death, he broke down and cried. Right there in class. The class cried with him. 

Keats gives me the shivers. The good kind.

But every time I think of Keats I think about Hyperion. Which is an awesome sci-fi read, BTW.

• Like 1

I :001_wub:  where I live.  I think I mentioned that we met with our State Representatives when we were in the capital. (And they gave us a behind-the-scenes tour of the State Capitol.)  Well, late this morning one of them emailed me to follow up on his offer to contact our U.S. Representative's office to try to arrange a tour when we are in D.C.  Within a couple of hours of our email exchange I got a phone call from our U.S. Representative's Deputy Chief of Staff letting me know that I'll be contacted with information about a tour of the U.S. Capitol, hopefully followed by a sit-down visit with our Congressman. I'm so thrilled!  :blushing:

• Like 8

Okay. Since this is the ITT, I feel like I can make a confession.

I hate poetry.  :leaving:  :leaving:

Me too!!!

(For one, I'm too much of a literalist.  For two, I'm more practical than flowery.  For three, I'm not big into emotion and drama.  For four, sometimes I don't know what they're talking about.  For five, why don't they just say it already.  For six, aint nobody got time for dat.)

• Like 3

I don't get poetry often, but when I do, when it resonates....well, it just sort of hits me and sticks. When I was trying to come up with a name for the place where my main character lived for some of his young life, the name for that place came from a poem. Because it fit--it was a sort of a joke, and then it just really fit the character and what his life was like. I don't know if any of that will even get into the story. I hope it does, because it would be nice to give a nod to the poem.

• Like 1

I think we wreck poetry by introducing it with the romantics and the metaphysicals. And Shakespeare. I blame him too. 

Ok, someone I've been enjoying lately is Jane Kenyon. 

Otherwise 

or

The Blue Bowl 

booyah!  

"booyah to the right of them 
booyah to the left of them 

booyah in front of them"    

(for Tsuga, with apologies to Tennyson) 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 4

I read all the posts about neuter nouns etc.  And I understand it.  (I took both Latin and Greek.)  But I'm too lazy to figure out what the implications are for curricula, curriculum.  Instead, I think I'll just go back to singing my song:

I love to go a hunting

for my homeschool books

and as I go, I love to sing

and ignore the dirty looks.

Curriculum, Curricula

Curriculum

Curricula-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Curriculum Curricula

My happy homeschool books

(I'm a visual-spatial learner.  Tell me the big picture (aka the answer) first and I'll figure out the silly details of how you got there from that.  )

• Like 4