• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I went out with a friend for coffee this afternoon.

Dd is home. Her exam was ok though she said it was not easy and harder than the instructor provided samples would have led you to believe. Luckily she over prepared.

There was a bonus point you could get for writing down a joke. She said it took her a while to come up with one that wasn't too crude. :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I just spent an hour and a half redoing our bulletin. Anyone wanna check the spelling and grammar for me?

I will see Dr. McDreamy Dentist tomorrow.  Thankfully, ds13 had a cavity. :leaving:

You're going to hell for this.

Breastfeeding for 34 months was the best weight loss plan I was ever on.

I've heard this. I look forward to being a successful breastfeeding mama this time!

Sorry, Slache.  I forgot about your weight loss question until Ikslo quoted it.

Water aerobics classes helped me to lose weight.  I wish I could find a class I could consistently attend.  I will tell you that the gf diet is not good for weight loss.  Nope.

My mom has done well with Weight Watchers.  And she says that her brother goes on a "soup diet" whenever he needs to lose weight.  It doesn't matter what kind of soup -- just soup instead of regular meals.

Ooh! Jean can do water aerobics. Jean! Do water aerobics. What's Weight Watchers philosophy? I understand the group accountability and weekly weighins, but what's the diet?

• Like 5

I don't know a whole lot about Weight Watchers.  They change their program often so they can sell more stuff.

The system my mom used tracked calories/carbs/? using a points system.  You were only allowed so many points per day.  No foods were forbidden, you just couldn't eat all junk food.  For instance if you had a brownie at lunchtime, you would have to eat a lighter dinner.  I remember that most vegetables (except the starchy ones) were pushed as "free" (zero point) foods.

• Like 1

I don't know a whole lot about Weight Watchers.  They change their program often so they can sell more stuff.

The system my mom used tracked calories/carbs/? using a points system.  You were only allowed so many points per day.  No foods were forbidden, you just couldn't eat all junk food.  For instance if you had a brownie at lunchtime, you would have to eat a lighter dinner.  I remember that most vegetables (except the starchy ones) were pushed as "free" (zero point) foods.

Hmpf. That kinda stuff doesn't work for me. That's what my Jawbone did. I loved my Jawbone. It helped me to become a healthier person, just not a smaller one.

• Like 1

IMO weight loss happens in the kitchen, and it shouldn't be a diet, but a lifelong commitment to a new way of eating. I'm a calorie counter when I need to lose or reset. Once I've reset, I have a good sense of how much I can eat and then I stop counting.

Oh and I eat moderate to high carb vegan.

Oh, just remembered - who mentioned Vegan Under Pressure? I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

• Like 5

IMO weight loss happens in the kitchen, and it shouldn't be a diet, but a lifelong commitment to a new way of eating. I'm a calorie counter when I need to lose or reset. Once I've reset, I have a good sense of how much I can eat and then I stop counting.

Oh and I eat moderate to high carb vegan.

I completely agree, but my complaint is that I've made the changes, I eat really frigging healthy and I'm still fat. I used to be 300 pounds so it's just been a long journey. Pregnant me does not eat well. Pregnant me doesn't really do anything well. Non pregnant me is ready to be done being fat.

• Like 1

I'm excited about Jean losing weight. What have you all done to lose weight? This whole ice cream and sedentary thing isn't working for me. :blink:

In the past I've had luck with fitness and Whole30. NO OTHER DIET HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE! No low carb, no green tea, no pills. Nada. I did well on the grapefruit diet as a teen. I could try that again.

In the future I want to try that 12 hour fast thing and juicing. Don't scold me. I don't care.

Okay, share stories. I'm desperate.

Back in my 20's and 30's WW did well for me when I wanted to lose 10-15 lbs,, which is all I ever really needed to lose back then. Sometimes I'd calorie count and low carb helped too, at times. Now, on the last 3-4 years I've packed on about 30'lbs. I've tried to lose it and nothing, absolutely nothing works. I blame it on peri-menopause. I look at pics of myself 5 years ago and I was at a good weight, my hair looked great, I looked great. Now, I refuse to be in pictures. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

Back in my 20's and 30's WW did well for me when I wanted to lose 10-15 lbs,, which is all I ever really needed to lose back then. Sometimes I'd calorie count and low carb helped too, at times. Now, on the last 3-4 years I've packed on about 30'lbs. I've tried to lose it and nothing, absolutely nothing works. I blame it on peri-menopause. I look at pics of myself 5 years ago and I was at a good weight, my hair looked great, I looked great. Now, I refuse to be in pictures.

Don't refuse to be in pictures! It will make you sad someday to not have those pictures, especially of you and your kids. Besides, your setting a bad example for your girls. Do you want them to see themselves that way?
  • Like 3

Good Morning. It is Tuesday. Susan you're almost done.

Ikslo, did your dh get the new job?

Lynn, more rest and relaxation for you today. Take it easy.

If tex don't make it to heaven then I have serious doubts that I will. ;)

Same old stuff today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 4

Ikslo, did your dh get the new job?

Why yes, yes he did. He starts on the 25th.

I'm a bit freaked about school scheduling from here on out, though. It's hard to get stuff done when DS is home evenings. He's going to be home more evenings. We'll even being doing school every other weekend now, prob. I'm sure it will work itself out, but the transition is promising to be a bit rocky.

• Like 9

Tex, I've got a question. Now I'm not saying that I've looked at instapots or recipes or watched the 8 minute video with the girl John thought was annoying, but I was wondering why you don't think you'll make yogurt?

Why yes, yes he did. He starts on the 25th.

I'm a bit freaked about school scheduling from here on out, though. It's hard to get stuff done when DS is home evenings. He's going to be home more evenings. We'll even being doing school every other weekend now, prob. I'm sure it will work itself out, but the transition is promising to be a bit rocky.

Congratulations! Your son's getting older now and will grow in independent work. I see why you're concerned but I think a few months in and it'll all level out.

• Like 1

I write because it's therapy that I don't have to go out the door for, I think. And because characters just bounce around in my head until I get them out of there.  :laugh: I takes me usually two hours for 2000 words. I think that is pretty good, but I don't know enough other writers to compare. I write fantasy and very briefly, did some decent sports fiction--go figure that one out! The hardest part of writing so far has been teaching my writerly boys that I'm not available as a dictionary, thesaurus or sounding board when the screen is up and my music is on. They took half of November to remember that I'm not to be disturbed for anything less than blood, fire or moral peril.

On weight loss, I have no good tips. I can lose weight, but to do so requires me to put the vast bulk of my energy into exercise, because I like to cook too much to give up my favorite foods. And then I get addicted to running, and end up running (and limping on my bum leg) too much and hurt myself. I'm a creature of excess. 

On pictures: I don't like being in pictures. Nothing like having your funny face and your non-existent fashion sense frozen in time for people to giggle over afterward. It's nothing new. Capturing me in pictures wasn't easy when I was a kid, either. 

• Like 8

Don't refuse to be in pictures! It will make you sad someday to not have those pictures, especially of you and your kids. Besides, your setting a bad example for your girls. Do you want them to see themselves that way?

I know you are right! I need to get over this!
  • Like 2

Jean--the only time I've successfully lost weight was under the recommendations my endocrinologist gave me.

I gained weight on the following programs: South Beach diet, Weight Watchers, GFCF, and "clean" eating.

My endocrinologist's recommendations were: use My Fitness Pal between 1000-1200 calories a day, eat half a plate veg, 1/4 protein, 1/4 complex carb.   The key was calorie counting. I also had to exercise at least 4 hours a week.  The weight loss was very slow---1/2 a lb. a week, but it was steady.

• Like 7

My windows have been bothering me too.  I would love to find one of those hose spray attachments and go clean my windows. The dirt is on the outside.

We actually do have a power washer. I just hate dragging the thing out, hooking everything up and getting soaked. But I might deal with the inside dirt today if it keeps bothering me. :D

• Like 2

Congratulations! Your son's getting older now and will grow in independent work. I see why you're concerned but I think a few months in and it'll all level out.

He's fine with independent work.  He's not fine with doing schoolwork on dad's days off, and DH's new schedule is such that we will need to do some school on at least a few of his days off in order to meet the state's requirements.  So its more that he has to get used to the idea of dad's day off does not automatically equal day off school as it has in the past.

And I don't particularly like teaching when DH is around. ;)

• Like 6

My endocrinologist's recommendations were: use My Fitness Pal between 1000-1200 calories a day, eat half a plate veg, 1/4 protein, 1/4 complex carb. The key was calorie counting. I also had to exercise at least 4 hours a week. The weight loss was very slow---1/2 a lb. a week, but it was steady.

This is pretty much what I do.

I have to stay around 1200 to lose. 1500 is my maintenance. That's not a lot of food. Sadly I just don't think there is much more to be said. I consider 2lb a month healthy rate of loss.

• Like 2

Tex, I've got a question. Now I'm not saying that I've looked at instapots or recipes or watched the 8 minute video with the girl John thought was annoying, but I was wondering why you don't think you'll make yogurt?

At this point, I don't have the extra time or the interest.  I can easily buy decent yogurt for the one kid who eats/needs it consistently, and that is easier than wrestling with an Instant Pot.  In a different time/life, I would have been a yogurt maker.  

It took me two weeks to get together the ingredients and time to make Krissi's ranch dressing. :laugh:

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 8

Hugs and prayers for Susan's dh and Hornblower's friend!

Joining in on this.

Also, quoting because I had a thought. (They're fleeting and must be acted upon immediately.)

Perhaps we could as Renai to add a prayer list to our Google Drive?  (Which must be Capitalized because it is a Mystery.)

• Like 5

I got up to assist the "boys" in getting out the door.  Then I went back to bed so that the UPS driver won't find me asleep in my car.  I would still be sleeping except that Libby woke me up asking to go out to potty.  While I grumble about getting up, I suppose that I prefer that to the alternative if she didn't get me up. 

• Like 2

Prarie, 1200 is my regular calorie intake. :( It's quite common. I think I might need to read a book by an endo though. Not just to lose weight, but I imagine I would learn a lot.

Ikslo, yeah I get it. Matt keeps saying he wants to work from home. I keep telling him he's not welcome here! :lol:

Tex, thanks.

• Like 2

Joining in on this.

Also, quoting because I had a thought. (They're fleeting and must be acted upon immediately.)

Perhaps we could as Renai to add a prayer list to our Google Drive?  (Which must be Capitalized because it is a Mystery.)

Could it be a "Thinking of You/Prayer List" list instead?

• Like 6

I have snagged an early afternoon allergist appt. for ds.  He is still hacking and hacking after 10 days of amoxicillin, 6 days of prednisone and 14 days of some other antibiotic which name I have forgotten.  It's prime allergy season though and he's terribly allergic to the world around us.  I really wish that they would clear him to start up the allergy shots again. 

I have snagged an early afternoon allergist appt. for ds.  He is still hacking and hacking after 10 days of amoxicillin, 6 days of prednisone and 14 days of some other antibiotic which name I have forgotten.  It's prime allergy season though and he's terribly allergic to the world around us.  I really wish that they would clear him to start up the allergy shots again. 

:grouphug:

Allergy season is a problem here as well.  In fact, I did not take that into consideration last night when DS was irritable.  I need to put pollen issues back on my radar.

• Like 2