• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I vote no to anything that puts pressure on my cooking. I like my downtime while things bake, stew or simmer. 

ETA: Hiccup. I actually don't feel that strongly about it, so Tex should get what she wants.  :laugh:

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

I don't want anything that turns my cooking into an instant thing. I like my downtime while things are baking, simmering or stewing. :laugh:

I don't even own a crockpot.

Then you should love a crockpot. It takes everything 5 times longer to cook!

• Like 2

Dd has trouble with chili pepper and eggplant and tomato (but not potatoes so far).  But according to the Allergy doc and his allergy tests, she's not technically allergic to them.  But lately her reactions have included her mouth or throat swelling. 

1.  Why?

2.  Other than telling her that she absolutely can't have those foods, what should I do?  (She sneaks pizza when she's out with friends)

Last night I gave her Benadryl after she was complaining that her mouth (not throat) was swollen. 

Look up regular pressure cookers (mine  is Fagor brand).  Compare what they can do and their price to an Instant Pot.  Then ask yourself  - which would I use?  I can't do that for you, Grasshopper. 

Sigh.  Now I'm confused.  I need fewer options, not more.  Look upon me as a toddler.  "Do you want to wear the pink shirt or the green shirt?"

This is why I don't ever buy anything.  I don't know what to choose.  Plus, I'm cheap.

• Like 2

Don't get the yogurt maker one.

I have made my own yogurt, in a yogurt maker.  It's very hard to get the consistency of the yogurt correct; the homogenized fat content of our milk tends to make things feel grainy even when you buy the fancy starter.  Since you have sensory kids in the mix, I'm throwing that out there as consistency and taste matter a lot.

Go buy the bigger size, and jump on it. I've been tracking them, and last year's black friday price was $100.

• Like 2

Dd has trouble with chili pepper and eggplant and tomato (but not potatoes so far).  But according to the Allergy doc and his allergy tests, she's not technically allergic to them.  But lately her reactions have included her mouth or throat swelling. 

1.  Why?

2.  Other than telling her that she absolutely can't have those foods, what should I do?  (She sneaks pizza when she's out with friends)

Last night I gave her Benadryl after she was complaining that her mouth (not throat) was swollen. 

Would Oral Allergy Syndrome fit? 

I have a rice cooker/slow cooker combo which I really love. I have a yogurt maker which I never use because it is more trouble than it is worth. I have never used a pressure cooker.

BUT I still think I need the Instant Pot. Because cool. And maybe I can use the pressure cooker for some of the canning I do in the summer. Or actually cook food with it. :D

• Like 6

I like my slow cooker. In fact, I'm going to throw supper in there right now.

Fiesta Chicken

Chicken breasts

1 can cream of chicken soup

Ranch dressing mix, taco seasoning

1 can corn

1 can black beans

Ro-tel

Block cream cheese

Cook all day! serve over rice. It's what's for dinner!

• Like 6

I like my slow cooker. In fact, I'm going to throw supper in there right now.

Fiesta Chicken

Chicken breasts

1 can cream of chicken soup

Ranch dressing mix, taco seasoning

1 can corn

1 can black beans

Ro-tel

Block cream cheese

Cook all day! serve over rice. It's what's for dinner!

OMW - that is exactly what I just put in my slow cooker! Twinsies!

• Like 6

KrissiK---that sounds delicious!

My rice cooker gets a lot of use at my house, but I have not been happy with cooking beans in a crockpot.  I don't want to use the stovetop simmer for 2 hrs method because of summer heat.  I'm hoping my instant pot will allow me to leave my oven off for a good chunk of this summer.

• Like 3

Then you should love a crockpot. It takes everything 5 times longer to cook!

No,no. Because I have this wonderful cast iron dutch oven. I spend time figuring out just how to get the perfect flavor by browning everything perfectly, a little bit at a time and then adding things as I go along. If a recipe says throw everything in a pot and cook, I'm probably going to have to do something about that... :lol:

I like cooking. 

• Like 7

I've been having weird dreams since I bought this pillow. Last night I had a dream I spent months perfecting a church bulletin and wound up interrupting my pastor's daughter's wedding to see if he approved it. My husband got so tired of waiting for me he had an affair.

I feel human today. I might get some housework done. Oooh! And reading!

Eta: I have no desire for a pressure cooker so I have no opinion. Sorry.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

And it's testing time.

Dd13, dd11, dd9, and dd8 are taking their annual Stanford tests this week.  Bubbles!!

I started prepping DS for his first ever testing this year.  The first day with the review materials he cried.  I really don't think he can do a timed test.  I am looking at the untimed CAT test online, maybe. 

Another kid had a late reaction to dairy, so now just my oldest and I are the dairy non-reactors.  Youngest crawled into bed and peed on me last night.  She's still sleeping and crying out in her sleep, "It's not my fault!"

We're having a stellar start to our week.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Y'all have to help me decide.  I can afford the 7 in 1, and it is $114 versus $85, but I am super cheap.  This is why I almost never buy myself any applliances.  I hate spending money on stuff.  Our dishwasher is half falling apart and is 16 years old, but I refuse to let dh get a new one because it still washes dishes.  I fixed the vacuum myself.

I vote for the 7 in 1, because you are awesome and should treat yourself to the one you really want.  Don't settle, Tex.  Don't be a Settler.

• Like 6

Jean--the notion is that it's supposed to be, and that cooking would destroy the pollens that you are cross-reacting to.  That said, my allergist said that there are a couple of reactions that I have where it's akin to oral allergy syndrome.  My mouth isn't happy about eating them, but I don't have a true allergy.

It's clear based on the list that nightshades seem to be the family she's reacting to. So, then I'd start looking at the components.... Does she also react to blueberries, apples or cherries? That would point to solanine...  I'd make a chart and see if you can figure it out by the component chemicals.

• Like 1

I don't want anything that turns my cooking into an instant thing. I like my downtime while things are baking, simmering or stewing. :laugh:

I don't even own a crockpot.

My best work days ever are the ones where I walk into the house and can smell food.  DS will put food in the crock pot before he leaves for work, and I don't have to make dinner.

SMIL and FIL bought it for us one Christmas, iirc.

Speaking of SMIL, did I tell you all that right after we had them over for Easter dinner this year, SMIL fell in their driveway (that week sometime, not Easter day)?   She fell and now is undergoing three different surgeries and will need to be placed in a home until she recovers, it is that bad.  Let's see...she broke her kneecap and/or her leg.  That's surgery one.  She shattered her wrist.  Surgery Two.  And surgery three is for her nose, because apparently she did a face plant to boot.  I think her hip is okay, but now I need to check with DH, because I may be remembering it wrong.  Leg and wrist may have been one surgery where they put in plates, so maybe the hip is in there somewhere, too?  Ugh.  All I know is we haven't been able to visit yet, it is that bad.  Oh, and this follows 2 knee replacement surgeries, so she was already in recovery mode from the last one when this all happened.  So warm thoughts, please, for her recovery.  (Prayers if so inclined.)

• Like 6

Jean--the notion is that it's supposed to be, and that cooking would destroy the pollens that you are cross-reacting to.  That said, my allergist said that there are a couple of reactions that I have where it's akin to oral allergy syndrome.  My mouth isn't happy about eating them, but I don't have a true allergy.

It's clear based on the list that nightshades seem to be the family she's reacting to. So, then I'd start looking at the components.... Does she also react to blueberries, apples or cherries? That would point to solanine...  I'd make a chart and see if you can figure it out by the component chemicals.

Yes, it is the nightshades.  I had never thought about trying to pinpoint componenet chemicals.  I don't think she reacts to blueberries or apples. . .   But we weren't specifically looking.  Hmmm. . . .

It is my personal philosophy that when you buy something nice you should spend the money to get the exact one you want. In 6 months you will not regret the extra $20, but you will be sad that you cannot make yogurt. Unfortunately, oftentimes this means waiting for what you want. Now go get your stupid thing.

• Like 6

1.  Why?

Because allergies can develop over time - it may have not shown up the first time she was tested.  I would have her re-tested.  Did she have the blood tests, or just skin testing?  Mouth/throat swelling is absolutely a sign of an allergy. 

Did the Benadryl help?

• Like 3

Don't get the yogurt maker one.

I have made my own yogurt, in a yogurt maker.  It's very hard to get the consistency of the yogurt correct; the homogenized fat content of our milk tends to make things feel grainy even when you buy the fancy starter.  Since you have sensory kids in the mix, I'm throwing that out there as consistency and taste matter a lot.

Go buy the bigger size, and jump on it. I've been tracking them, and last year's black friday price was $100.

My mom used a yogurt maker a lot when we were young.  I loved homemade yogurt, and never noticed a difference in texture.  I wonder what she did/how she did it...I'll have to ask her.

• Like 3

My best work days ever are the ones where I walk into the house and can smell food.  DS will put food in the crock pot before he leaves for work, and I don't have to make dinner.

SMIL and FIL bought it for us one Christmas, iirc.

Speaking of SMIL, did I tell you all that right after we had them over for Easter dinner this year, SMIL fell in their driveway (that week sometime, not Easter day)?   She fell and now is undergoing three different surgeries and will need to be placed in a home until she recovers, it is that bad.  Let's see...she broke her kneecap and/or her leg.  That's surgery one.  She shattered her wrist.  Surgery Two.  And surgery three is for her nose, because apparently she did a face plant to boot.  I think her hip is okay, but now I need to check with DH, because I may be remembering it wrong.  Leg and wrist may have been one surgery where they put in plates, so maybe the hip is in there somewhere, too?  Ugh.  All I know is we haven't been able to visit yet, it is that bad.  Oh, and this follows 2 knee replacement surgeries, so she was already in recovery mode from the last one when this all happened.  So warm thoughts, please, for her recovery.  (Prayers if so inclined.)

Praying. Poor SMIL! That's going to be a rough recovery!

• Like 2

I like that too. But if I want to smell food when I get home, I'm going to have to cook it. It actually relaxes me to make a little something for myself when I come home after work. But I don't want to cook for everybody else!

Now, if it's a day at home, I'm pretty happy to cook for the whole family, but after work, it's just me that I want to please.

#selfishthatway

• Like 5

Ikslo, that's bad! Is she in good health otherwise? Praying that she recovers well.

No, her health has never really been good since I have known her.  I anticipate a looooooong recovery, if she is able to recover at all.  A full recovery would be optimal, but doubtful. :(

ETA:  Awww, man, what a post to get a Booyah.  Sad booyah.

TOP OF PAGE 900 BOOYAH!! 

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 8

So it turns out that y'all are really helpful in making decisions because everyone makes a good case but then one point will stand out and I will go, "Dude! That is it!" and everything becomes clear.

In this case, it is prairie with the decisive comment about how I will never make yogurt and my sensory kid is so sensory.  Plus, it made me remember that I have a refrigerator full of Horizons organic vanilla yogurt quarts that I got for .99, but he refuses to eat it because it is not Stonyfield Farms organic vanilla yogurt.  He will also eat SF toddler yogurt (vanilla only) and Activia vanilla.   I cannot tell the difference between Horizons and SF.  They are both sweet, mild and tasty to me.  He is my main yogurt eater.  He eats it every day with Usual Breakfast.  Dh will not eat it.  I rarely eat it.  The two littles will eat it sometimes but it not part of Regular Breakfast.

I do agree that I deserve the VERY BEST Instant Pot since I make do so much and never buy anything, but in this case, I just bought the $85 one (6 quart) with no yogurt maker. Who needs something else like yogurt making to be bad at? :lol:

• Like 9

No, her health has never really been good since I have known her.  I anticipate a looooooong recovery, if she is able to recover at all.  A full recovery would be optimal, but doubtful. :(

ETA:  Awww, man, what a post to get a Booyah.  Sad booyah.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I haz a book coming too! I don't need a bunch right now, but my one is berry exciting!

My set of 1988 MacMillan Chronicles of Narnia is coming from Portland. Others are coming from Arizona, CA, Michigan, Ohio, Texas, Illinois, and Maryland.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3