Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning! I am not caught up with ITT. I need another cup of coffee. And we have a cute stray kittenish type cat in the backyard who already has a name and has made itself at home in the backyard and in dd's heart and I just don't want to deal with this. We do NOT need another cat. We really don't.

• Like 2

Good morning! I am not caught up with ITT. I need another cup of coffee. And we have a cute stray kittenish type cat in the backyard who already has a name and has made itself at home in the backyard and in dd's heart and I just don't want to deal with this. We do NOT need another cat. We really don't.

I do, lol.

But we can't:-( I am sorry. Saying no to kittenish cuteness is incredibly difficult. I think it is some kind of evolutionary advantage to the development of cats :lol:

Dh just went to get some coffee.

We just split the business last week. He was partners with close family and we had to divide everything now because of tax consequences if partners die. No angst among the partners, which is nice. They have actually structured their separate companies so that their day to day is still pretty similar and they still get to spend time together :hurray:

It does mean Dh is working in our home office more. Which is very distracting for the kids... And him. They suck him in lol. But it is nice that he can go buy me coffee. I feel a headache coming on so the caffeine will probably help.

Math update. We are in ratios and proportion. I hate ratios and proportion. I overthink the problems. Who knows, though, maybe after this I will LOVE ratios and proportion :D

Laundry is in. Dishes are done. Kids have been sent to take care of neighbor's dog. House is quiet.

Ahhh.

• Like 7

I'm halfway through the school day. I think the boys are finally getting gerunds in time to move to infinitives. Whereupon the place carved out for gerunds will be occupied by infinitives and we'll have to learn it all again next year. Oh, well.

I'm taking next week off from school. I planned for it. I'm worn out and it's time to take a break. I might get some planning done. I will probably get some good writing done. I am certain to spend valuable time simply doing nothing. :laugh:

ETA: I've been reacquainting myself with Algebra with the Key to Algebra series. I'm fifteen pages out from being done and then I'm moving on to the Geometry Series. I'd like to find something similar to refresh my memory of Calculus. I loved Cal 1 and 2 in college, but I just don't use it in life and so much of it has drained away into the abyss that is my brain. Anybody got suggestions for a reasonably priced option for Calculus review for me? I really can't spend much more than 30 to 45 minutes a day on my own math education, five days a week. Suggestions?

ETA again: Can't do online options, watch videos or anything like that. No time and no connection speed to support. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

I have bronchitis and a sinus infection. I got 2 shots, and I am already feeling better. Thanks for all the get well wishes.

Oh, I started reading When Books Went to War by Molly Guptill Manning. I have had it on my wishlist for a while, but I found it at the library Saturday. It is very interesting. I did not realize Hitler ordered the banning and burning of 100 million books to manipulate the German culture to his ideas and philosophy. Very sneaky. But I suppose brainwashing would be a sneaky business. Then American librarians started a campaign to send free books to our troops. These books were treasured and cherished. One soldier wrote, "To heave one in the garbage can is tantamount to striking your grandmother." I believe it is going to be a good book.

I've also started Outlander book 5, The Fiery Cross. So far I'm not as interested, but it seems like the others in the series were slow to grab my attention except the first one.

I'm so glad I'm feeling a bit better. Maybe I will make it through Sunday without maiming anyone. ;)

• Like 8

What will you be doing? 

I wanted to answer this better but I didn't have time. For us school consists of reading, math and memory work. Other than that I have this smorgasbord of educational materials and toys that we can use during school, not during school, in the car, or take to church while I'm working. I wanted to share my smorgasbord. I recommend everything I'm writing, things I plan to purchase are in grey.

School:

Reading Lessons Through Literature: phonogram review everyday, 3 spelling words a week, copywork of his choice on non spelling days, 5 minutes a day.

Math: Miquon, Rays or playing with the rods: his choice, at least 3 times a week, 5-15 minutes

Memory work: Bible verses, everyday, 2ish minutes

Bible:

Bible For Kids app from You Version (great retention)

Jesus Storybook Bible (sparks great conversations)

My ABC Bible Versus

Bible Study Guide For All Ages (we would have already started this if I wasn't pregnant)

Reading:

20th Century Children's Book Treasury (SL 3/4)

Harper Collins Treasury of Picture Book Classics (SL 3/4)

starfall.com

Wee Sing Nursery Rhymes (SL 3/4)

Pathway Readers

Five In a Row

Math/Logic:

Cuisenaire Rods (huge recommendation!)

Developing The Early Learner

Kitchen Table Math

History:

Classical Conversations Timeline Song (recommended to me by Quackers, amazing resource, #noh)

Big Book of History

Geography:

Geopuzzles (everyone should own this, my son's political geography knowledge is beyond that of most adults)

Science:

Magic School Bus (YouTube)

Snap Circuits

Big Book of Earth & Sky

Foreign Language:

Salsa

Favorite books in Spanish

Hey Andrew! (still deciding)

Music:

Since I'm church secretary I know what songs we're going to sing in church and I teach him those with a YouTube playlist.

Daddy teaches piano on demand (Step by Step, the oooooooold version)

Singing Made Easy

Art:

Art For Kids Hub (free)

Arttango (free)

The Big Yellow Drawing Book

Drawing With Children (we would have already started this if I wasn't pregnant)

Toys:

Linoln Logs

Magnatiles (they have played with these everyday for over a year)

Wooden train tracks

Playsilk

Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

I wanted to answer this better but I didn't have time. For us school consists of reading, math and memory work. Other than that I have this smorgasbord of educational materials and toys that we can use during school, not during school, in the car, or take to church while I'm working. I wanted to share my smorgasbord. I recommend everything I'm writing, things I plan to purchase are in grey.

School:

Reading Lessons Through Literature: phonogram review everyday, 3 spelling words a week, copywork of his choice on non spelling days, 5 minutes a day.

Math: Miquon, Rays or playing with the rods: his choice, at least 3 times a week, 5-15 minutes

Memory work: Bible verses, everyday, 2ish minutes

Bible:

Bible For Kids app from You Version (great retention)

Jesus Storybook Bible (sparks great conversations)

My ABC Bible Versus

Bible Study Guide For All Ages (we would have already started this if I wasn't pregnant)

Reading:

20th Century Children's Book Treasury (SL 3/4)

Harper Collins Treasury of Picture Book Classics (SL 3/4)

starfall.com

Wee Sing Nursery Rhymes (SL 3/4)

Pathway Readers

Five In a Row

Math/Logic:

Cuisenaire Rods (huge recommendation!)

Developing The Early Learner

Kitchen Table Math

History:

Classical Conversations Timeline Song (recommended to me by Quackers, amazing resource, #noh)

Big Book of History

Geography:

Geopuzzles (everyone should own this, my son's political geography knowledge is beyond that of most adults)

Science:

Magic School Bus (YouTube)

Snap Circuits

Big Book of Earth & Sky

Foreign Language:

Salsa

Favorite books in Spanish

Hey Andrew! (still deciding)

Music:

Since I'm church secretary I know what songs we're going to sing in church and I teach him those with a YouTube playlist.

Daddy teaches piano on demand (Step by Step, the oooooooold version)

Singing Made Easy

Art:

Art For Kids Hub (free)

Arttango (free)

The Big Yellow Drawing Book

Drawing With Children (we would have already started this if I wasn't pregnant)

Toys:

Linoln Logs

Magnatiles (they have played with these everyday for over a year)

Wooden train tracks

Playsilk

Have you shown this to your mil? No way should these kids ever be lacking in education! :D 

I'm saving this for a reference for DD's K. 

In other news, my book order should be here on Friday. We can go ahead and explore those tomorrow!

• Like 7

I will need to grab some of those sometime.

I'm glad you like my list. :laugh: The play silks are pricey but we've had ours for over a year and it's really lasted. You can imagine my 1-2 year old has not been gentle with it. I think it's time we sink some money in and get some costumes or something. It's really good stuff and better money spent there than toy's r us in my experience.

• Like 4

Good plan, Slache :hurray:

Critter, I found this on the mit open courseware:

http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/Strang/Edited/Calculus/Calculus.pdf

It has answers to odds in the back. I know you can't do a lot of online, but you could print it or have it sent to kinks or something? Fair warning, it is 671 pages long:-)

Relearning math is one of the great joys of homeschooling.

#isthereabarficon?

• Like 5

It has answers to odds in the back. I know you can't do a lot of online, but you could print it or have it sent to kinks or something? Fair warning, it is 671 pages long:-)

I don't know that I could handle something that long! I'm currently looking at Pre-Calculus Demystified and at Thompson's Calculus Made Easy.

ETA: I actually do like relearning the math. :blushing: It's fun...I don't have that much of a life, y'all. :P

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Good plan, Slache :hurray:

Critter, I found this on the mit open courseware:

http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/Strang/Edited/Calculus/Calculus.pdf

Relearning math is one of the great joys of homeschooling.

#isthereabarficon?

Math:  :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

• Like 5

I don't know that I could handle something that long! I'm currently looking at Pre-Calculus Demystified and at Thompson's Calculus Made Easy.

ETA: I actually do like relearning the math. :blushing: It's fun...I don't have that much of a life, y'all. :P

Oh sorry :blushing: :-)

It's weird. I don't want to relearn the math, but as I have been doing it, I have found some enjoyment in it. Maybe it gives me an inflated sense of my own abilities, lol.

Apparently, I don't have a life either :lol:

• Like 3

Those silks might sneak in as a Christmas present this next year - or her bday in April. Can't decide. 

Speaking of birthdays, I need some help deciding something. 
DD's bday is in April. Due to family dynamics, we will be having 2 separate family birthdays (one with my parents/sister and one with my in-laws). 

My issue is friend party or no friend party. 
I really don't want to throw a party at my house and get everything together. That's during a busy time at school, so I won't have much free time to prepare. 
I considered doing a friend party at the Y. They do the decorating, the cake, and you can get a bounce house. My only issue is that it's $150 and I don't have any guarantee that school friends will come. I don't want to end up paying that much money for dd and one friend to jump on a bounce house. 
I also considered seeing if I could take one family friend to Build-a-Bear and we would do bears for DD and 1 friend. (DH isn't thrilled with this and says that will cost almost as much as the Y.) 
Or, do I just nix the friend party all together since she doesn't have that many little friends in our town currently? 
What would do? 

ETA: I think I get caught up in "Pinterest perfect", especially since dd's little friend is always having these elaborate parties that her mom and gma put together. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

Math:  :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Or perhaps...

Math:  emot-puke.gif

Or maybe...

Math:  puke3.gif

But, to me, the battle with math is mutual.  So how 'bout...

Math:  puke2.gif

How do you do all these? I need to know how you put in all your cute emojis. (Though, I wouldn't consider vomiting heads that cute.)

• Like 1

Those silks might sneak in as a Christmas present this next year - or her bday in April. Can't decide. 

Speaking of birthdays, I need some help deciding something. 

DD's bday is in April. Due to family dynamics, we will be having 2 separate family birthdays (one with my parents/sister and one with my in-laws). 

My issue is friend party or no friend party. 

I really don't want to throw a party at my house and get everything together. That's during a busy time at school, so I won't have much free time to prepare. 

I considered doing a friend party at the Y. They do the decorating, the cake, and you can get a bounce house. My only issue is that it's $150 and I don't have any guarantee that school friends will come. I don't want to end up paying that much money for dd and one friend to jump on a bounce house. 

I also considered seeing if I could take one family friend to Build-a-Bear and we would do bears for DD and 1 friend. (DH isn't thrilled with this and says that will cost almost as much as the Y.) 

Or, do I just nix the friend party all together since she doesn't have that many little friends in our town currently? 

What would do? 

ETA: I think I get caught up in "Pinterest perfect", especially since dd's little friend is always having these elaborate parties that her mom and gma put together. 

Have you priced the Build-a-Bear party?  It's been a number of years, but I remembering finding their party prices to be reasonable.

I watch Great Courses lectures for fun. But not math.

Ha! I thought I was the only one who did that:-)

Right now, I am watching Major Transitions in Evolution. I know it isn't everyone's thing, but I am finding it fascinating. I am also listening to Free Will vs Predestination or something like that. There are not enough hours in the day...

• Like 1

This!

(Caveat: 100% introvert here with introverted children.)

I have never had a birthday party for the boys. Family is invited to come eat cake if they like. And this time the boys got presents, I think, but I never got around to making a cake. I was dealing with the kitten's illness and post-surgical care at the time. Got no clue what I did other than maintain IV lines, give IV antibiotics, etc....oh, yeah. We went to the aquarium for their birthday and came home to vomiting kitten. That's how their 12th birthday went down. :glare:

• Like 4

Have you priced the Build-a-Bear party?  It's been a number of years, but I remembering finding their party prices to be reasonable.

I haven't. But, I also wonder if they would consider DD and 1 friend a "party". haha 

I may call them and see what it would cost. I didn't think about a "party price". 

Thanks

ETA: The website says "as little as $12 per person", but I figure that's based upon the number of people attending. I guess we could include friend's baby sister. :D

ETA2: 5 Guests or more are required. So, that wouldn't work. And that many guests would completely overwhelm DD. :(

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

Great. Now I'm weird and it's in front of people. :leaving:

Yep.  When I read that you liked math I thought that it belonged on the "weird" thread on the chat board.

I so don't like math.

But, this is the safe thread.  No judgment.  :)  So it's fine with me if you like math.  I'm glad someone does, actually.

• Like 2

I do, lol.

But we can't:-( I am sorry. Saying no to kittenish cuteness is incredibly difficult. I think it is some kind of evolutionary advantage to the development of cats :lol:

No kidding. Actually, I would love to keep it, but DH.... he's not a real cat person. Our cats are all outdoor cats with access to their beds in the garage should the weather turn foul, but he still doesn't want more. :(

• Like 1

We used to do birthday parties, but we live kind of out of town, so it was inconvenient for a lot of people.  When dd5 was having her first (or second?) birthday, one of the dc asked who we were going to invite.

I said that we would invite her five closest friends.  (Her siblings.  :lol: )  They were not amused.  They wanted me to invite little friends who had older siblings who would get to come over too.  I'm not dumb.  I really don't need 20 kids in my house.

• Like 2

Yep.  When I read that you liked math I thought that it belonged on the "weird" thread on the chat board.

Would you believe that I hated math until college? I had a cool calculus professor that inspired enthusiasm in me for the subject. I liked it so much that I opted out of traditional physics and took the calculus heavy option, just because I liked the math. I am not good at it; but I like it. 

• Like 5

This!

(Caveat: 100% introvert here with introverted children.)

I have never had a birthday party for the boys. Family is invited to come eat cake if they like. And this time the boys got presents, I think, but I never got around to making a cake. I was dealing with the kitten's illness and post-surgical care at the time. Got no clue what I did other than maintain IV lines, give IV antibiotics, etc....oh, yeah. We went to the aquarium for their birthday and came home to vomiting kitten. That's how their 12th birthday went down. :glare:

I'm leaning towards this and just doing some fun event with her - going on a little trip, like to the children's museum in St. Louis or something. 

But, then I second guess myself and think that I'm doing her a disservice. 

I remember having little to no birthday parties when I was growing up and all my friends having huge parties. Looking back, I do think my mom probably asked, but I was so shy that I said I didn't want any. I also realize now that my friends were extreme extroverts, but at the time, I just felt like no one wanted to be at my parties. (Also didn't help that they were in the middle of summer and everyone was on vacation.) HOWEVER...I also remember my best birthdays being where just a few of us when on special day trips. 

Ok. Now that I've just "therapied" myself and my birthday woes, I think I'm good. haha

*Sorry. Ramblings of a strange woman today. :)

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 5

I'm stopping in to say hello.  :seeya:

Sensory kid threw up in the car this morning due to sensory things and the rest of my day has gone similarly spectacularly. :willy_nilly:

Somebody hold my feet to the fire that I must, must, must get a set of phonecalls made for him by next Friday.

I'm half way through scheduling Oldest's 9th grade year: ancient history, ancient lit, and geometry plans are done. Now I need to order Spanish (What do you guys use at the high school level?) and biology and Artistic Pursuits Sr. High book 1 and work on those.

friend bday party: I would have a Pinkalicious party: read the book, make a bunch of cupcakes, set out frosting, knives, and sprinkles and let them go to town. Keep it simple, keep it inexpensive, but make a few friends in your little town.

• Like 4

How do you do all these? I need to know how you put in all your cute emojis. (Though, I wouldn't consider vomiting heads that cute.)

Well, Renai is the Icon Queen, so she is best qualified to answer this.  Inspired by her awesomeness, I found a list online, and I just copy and paste as needed. :)

• Like 4

DD is in her online Latin class.  We live in a tiny corner of the world, but her teacher happens to live up the highway in an even tinier corner.  The other students come from all over.  ALL over. 

At break,the kids take turn presenting their favorite music.  Today's selection was all Greek to me.  Because it was.  How cool is that?

• Like 4

I'm going to have to see if the big library has some of the Great Courses. I would probably enjoy them.

Oh, we watched The Poisoner's Handbook (PBS American Experience). It's graphic, but I highly recommend it. It's like a snapshot of 1918-1950, with the beginnings and development of forensic science at the same time. The boys and I watched it for movie night. More weirdness, I know...

• Like 2

I'm going to have to see if the big library has some of the Great Courses. I would probably enjoy them.

Oh, we watched The Poisoner's Handbook (PBS American Experience). It's graphic, but I highly recommend it. It's like a snapshot of 1918-1950, with the beginnings and development of forensic science at the same time. The boys and I watched it for movie night. More weirdness, I know...

I actually almost watched this the other day.  I was worried about littles walking in on me though, so I put it off (and forgot about it).  I'll have to put it back in the queue of things to do.  :)

• Like 2

My opinion on friend birthday parties is not to start any bad habits or precedents.  :D

Yeah, I know I won't be able to live up to dd's friend's parties, but I would want to try. That's a really bad precedent to set - especially for an introvert with an introvert child. (Especially when friend and friend's mom are extroverts.)

So, no living up to those parties. NOPE NOPE NOPE!

• Like 3