Menu

Ignore this thread!

I may have missed this, but do you know what's causing the headaches? 

Not sure, but probably hormone-related.  I have a neuro appt next month.

I was talking about my own kids. :(

We did get a divorce and it was no fun, but don't many kids go through that?

They aren't in protective services and in fact when we were military I was called upon twice as a possible model parent / group leader, that's how bad things are in the military I guess.

I try to remain calm and consistent but none of it seems to help. I try to give constructive criticism, I try to teach them deep breathing, I try to help my older daughter persevere but it doesn't help much. Maybe we damaged her too much already. Maybe I am damaged. I don't know.

Honestly I would give my whole life just to start over or not.

Believe me so many times, and I am college educated, I am re-partnered, we have a stable life, we are technically affluent, so many times I have thought, "maybe someone like prairiewindmama can make my kids normal, maybe I should give them up". I don't know what to do.

I have tried. I am trying now. We aren't moving and haven't moved in three years which is a big milestone for me, you know? No new jobs, no new schools. I am trying. Lots of people have to move around a bit when kids are little and their kids aren't like mine.

I wish there were a solution that I could apply. I am a determined person and dedicated to my children but I don't know what I can to to change them.

:grouphug:

Have any of you used Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code books? 

They are cheap on Rainbow Resources and I thought it looked like a decent enough program to do with dd this summer. 

I have not, but I have used many Explode the Code books, and I liked them very well.

Careful bathing would fix that for you.  :lol:

ETA:  ACK!!!!  It's a "Wash your bum" Booyah!  That's horrible! 

Worst.booya(h).ever.  :hat:

Nutella counts as medicine, right? Asking for a friend.

Sure, if your problem is a lack of sugar. :lol:

• Like 1

Have any of you used Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code books? 

They are cheap on Rainbow Resources and I thought it looked like a decent enough program to do with dd this summer. 

I did with most or all of mine.  I liked it.  It's not absolutely necessary, but it's useful and fun. 

• Like 1

Anybody here using Magic Lens for grammar? I'm wondering how long an average lesson takes and how often to schedule. Typically I've been scheduling grammar twice a week and I don't want to do more than that. I also don't want grammar to take more than thirty minutes per session.

In the case of defiant kids--I've got one of those too. It is personality, to a degree---not the failing of parents. I meant to clarify that above.

I have one who fights me every step of the way. And I know it's him and his personality because my other four, while they are all strong-willed as well, do not. This child turns every thing in life into an issue (afternoon snacks - there's a list on the fridge of 5 things that are acceptable afternoon snacks, the rest of the kids are happy and content with that, he comes home for school and every single day asks for exceptions and gets mad when I say "no". Of course his exceptions are all crappy processed foods, etc. which he is addicted to and I try to limit)
  • Like 1

I did with most or all of mine.  I liked it.  It's not absolutely necessary, but it's useful and fun. 

Dd and I thought Explode the Code books were funny.

Anybody here using Magic Lens for grammar? I'm wondering how long an average lesson takes and how often to schedule. Typically I've been scheduling grammar twice a week and I don't want to do more than that. I also don't want grammar to take more than thirty minutes per session.

Never heard of it.

• Like 1

I have positive proof that you aren't dead  - that's why I can like this post. 

I've been feeling really weak and sick all week. Just doing simple housework has me out for hours. I'm not sure what the issue is. When I was pregnant with Mary I did Tae bo everyday until I was too fat. I'm thinking of going to the doctor. :(

Never heard of it.

Magic Lens is MCT's grammar program for the upper grades. I just want a grammar that doesn't make me gag that will fit in well with CW. I've used Harvey's Elementary for the last few years, and the boys are diagramming sentences with gerunds now. But I think they are still shaky with verbals. 

I'm just a little tired of Harvey's. I could do KISS (I used that when they were too young to appreciate it) but there isn't a lot of room to analyse those sentences in KISS without rewriting them on paper first. Plus it's messy to check those sentences against the answer key. 

Magic Lens is MCT's grammar program for the upper grades. I just want a grammar that doesn't make me gag that will fit in well with CW. I've used Harvey's Elementary for the last few years, and the boys are diagramming sentences with gerunds now. But I think they are still shaky with verbals.

I'm just a little tired of Harvey's. I could do KISS (I used that when they were too young to appreciate it) but there isn't a lot of room to analyse those sentences in KISS without rewriting them on paper first. Plus it's messy to check those sentences against the answer key.

Have you checked out IEWs grammar? A lot of reviews say that kids actually like it and a lot of users don't use IEWs other programs. I think it's expensive.

I lied, it's $15.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

We used the Get ready for the code books--the pencil work is great for fine motor, the introduction to phonemes is gentle, and it's inexpensive.  If you want to do workbooks, it's a good choice for the pk crowd.

There's a hormonal switchover right at about 14 weeks. The placenta takes over all of the hormonal functions from the ovaries.  I'd call in and talk to the triage nurse, and in the meantime do the low carb, lots of water, eat high iron foods things.

• Like 1

I've looked at Fix It a couple of times. Doesn't really blow me away, though. I want to save all editing practice for the actual writing that they will be doing. I've been looking for a grammar program that will examine how the arrangement of sentences and the use of certain elements contributes to style. Magic Lens seems to do that, so I'll probably end up giving that a try next year.

• Like 3

Ham and potato casserole. Boring, but I had all the ingredients. My family will love it - potatoes are their favorite.

Chicken noodle soup here tonight! I dump all the leftovers from Dutch Oven Chicken (meat, mashed potatoes, gravy and carrots) in a pot, add more carrots and corn, seasoning, broth and noodles. It's really quite good. And fresh bread. Always have to have fresh bread.

• Like 5

Mine is still up. I'm slightly embarrassed. :/ I had planned on putting it away after we got back from our Christmas travels, but got a bad stomach virus. Then with dd's ER visit and subsequent drs visits, I just haven't had the desire to do anything. 

I plan on getting it put away this weekend, though. 

Why embarrassed? Around here, deco is up through January. We try to get it down on January 6, but that was yesterday and it's still up. That's okay though, because tomorrow is Gymnast's birthday, and it can be a festive one. :D

A couple of things:

1. Washington State has pathways to becoming a teacher for online teachers:

http://www.k12.wa.us/certification/Teacher/ProCert.aspx

2. Seriously if you could break their spirit I would have done it. Honestly, I think some kids are just born to push and you can blame the parents all you want but ultimately, you can't even beat it out of them. I have been way meaner to my daughter than I ever wanted to in the hope of getting her to become more compliant and only passive-aggressive and reverse psychology works. Anything remotely intended at breaking her spirit just fails. ETA: I don't want to break her. I just want her to stop fighting me on, say, brushing teeth! But that is her spirit! Ugh.

I would never purposely break a child's spirit. I wouldn't even do it by accident. I really was kidding. If I really truly think I need to break a child's spirit at work, I need to quit my job. There is no place for it.

Gymnast is not an easy child, so I can relate to many of the parents of the children I'm dealing with. She purposely wants to do the opposite of everything I want her to do, and I'm not an easy parent. Fun, yes. A pushover, no. There was a time from, like the age of 1.5, where I wondered if I could homeschool her. I still wonder sometimes. She really wants to, though, so we'll give it a try. It really is her spirit. I have a strong personality, too, so it would not work for me to have sweet kids, I guess. 

What I tell parents is our kids with strong personalities will be our leaders. They need the guidance to use those strong traits to be good leaders. It is a long road. I'm not there yet. After all, my oldest is only 16.

• Like 2

I was looking around online because of what Prairie said and apparently last week I was supposed to have headaches, fatigue, and dizziness. I've had the headaches but dismissed them and dizziness but I get that as a pre-seizure symptom and I've always just sat down and rested to avoid them which is what I've been doing but now I'm thinking it's all just pregnancy. This week I'm supposed to feel much better so I imagine I will next week.

• Like 2

I would never purposely break a child's spirit. I wouldn't even do it by accident. I really was kidding. If I really truly think I need to break a child's spirit at work, I need to quit my job. There is no place for it.

:iagree: There are some that I desperately wish would get some discipline in the home, but I would never want them to be broken and blindly compliant. 

Gymnast is not an easy child, so I can relate to many of the parents of the children I'm dealing with. She purposely wants to do the opposite of everything I want her to do, and I'm not an easy parent. Fun, yes. A pushover, no. There was a time from, like the age of 1.5, where I wondered if I could homeschool her. I still wonder sometimes. She really wants to, though, so we'll give it a try. It really is her spirit. I have a strong personality, too, so it would not work for me to have sweet kids, I guess. 

I wonder this now. I want to homeschool her, but I am terrified that I will try and we'll end up like "those families" whose kids are horribly behind. It wouldn't be because of my not trying, but because of us butting heads. 

A few weeks ago, she didn't want to go to preschool and I asked where she would learn if she didn't go to school. She said that I could just teach her at home - something I have never mentioned in front of her. So, I'm hoping that her desire to always stay home will serve her well. 

Also, I may be getting advice from you a lot in the near future. :) 

What I tell parents is our kids with strong personalities will be our leaders. They need the guidance to use those strong traits to be good leaders. It is a long road. I'm not there yet. After all, my oldest is only 16.

I have to tell myself this a lot. When she's being stubborn and holding her own, I have to remember that this will help her lead and not bend to every peer pressure. 

Also, my diet is going down hill today. DH is at his monthly fly-fishing club meeting, so dd and I got Sonic. 

This is apparently me this week: 

quot-well-rounded-diet-quot_o_1212795.jp

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

I view those kids as lacking skills in interpersonal relationships.  They are demonstrating that they are learning poor techniques from their families.  One of the most heartbreaking things I ever went through was a training for attorneys on children in need of care (lingo for children in protective services).  There were a series of slides of images from functional MRIs of these kids and how their brains were literally forming differently because of the experiences that they have gone through.

Children in intact homes who are still kind of functioning are experiencing that to a lesser degree. I don't believe the solution is to pull them out of their families or shame/beat/break them into submission---it's to give them the skills that they need so that they have some hope in functioning well in society as adults.  Too often these kids graduate and have no understanding on how to accept constructive criticism, how to handle frustration or anger, and how to persevere at a hard task.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to work in preschool and not the older kids. I wanted to start at the foundation. It is constantly, over and over, dealing with the behaviors from square 1. I downloaded materials for autism classrooms to work with my morning class on self-regulation and other issues.

And some of these parents aren't new to this school. The very same principal that is here today knew the parents when they were students at the school (K-6), so the principal knows many of these parents and the families they come from. They were not coming from traumatic backgrounds.

So, some of it is part personality, and the other part is learning skills.. That is what I am there for - teaching skills. It's just taking a really long time for some of these kids, and I worry what kindergarten will look like for them if the parents (remember, these families have been known for years) aren't doing more on their end to help. If kinder was what it was years ago, I'd know they have another year to mature. As it is, it's not like that any more.

And, get this, I was sending kids to the office. That is how bad it was (defiance on overdrive among other issues). I've never sent a preschool child, or any other in fact, to the office. Ever. In all my years. That says something more is going on. My morning class would fall into chaos so fast without a tight rein (think noose), that I was thinking many of the kids are just used to chaos. At some point, children learn the rules at school are different (or at least reinforced differently) than at home. It just is not happening with some of the kids in this class.

:sad: Sigh.  She was a beautiful dancer.

Does that work out better for her, though?

I don't know. She told me yesterday that she misses singing more, and she only did it for about a month and a half. She also stated that although she doesn't miss dance yet, she's not saying that she won't ever miss it.  :confused1:

Ah, and see for me, realizing that my kid isn't a bad kid---he is a kid who lacks flexibility, perseverance, and the ability to self-regulate helps me love my kid even when I don't love his behaviors.

(Said kid is melting down on the floor right now because the perfectionism monster took over and he's struggling with his math.)

Still haven't made it to the stinking park.

I don't consider any child bad. Some are in need of more teaching than others, though.  :lol:

• Like 1

Dh made calabacitas for dinner tonight. They are so good, I ate 1.5 bowls. Since I wanted to leave some for the rest of the family (dh and dd16 left to get eggs), I decided to reheat some chilaquiles to fill me up. Typing all that makes me seem like a pig. Oh, well.

• Like 2

We went to the park. Things are a bit better. We went to Costco afterwards and while I was there bought some of their sweet potato fries. I made them with salmon burgers tonight--they were pretty good!

I decided the vegan thing just isn't going to happen. I will eat clean, but I've already done an elimination diet and I know gluten isn't an issue (& that dairy is).  I'll take the dang Humira if I have to but there's more to life than having to eat vegan.  I have too many kids, my husband is gone way too much, and money is to tight to make it work out in some feasible way.

IME, Southern Ivy, those kids that are WAY far behind educationally while homeschooled either have some sort of learning issue going on, or they had parents who weren't working consistently with them. 

• Like 3

IME, Southern Ivy, those kids that are WAY far behind educationally while homeschooled either have some sort of learning issue going on, or they had parents who weren't working consistently with them. 

I know. It's just my inner turmoil/nightmare. :) I psyche myself out before the big game, basically. haha

• Like 1

We went to the park. Things are a bit better. We went to Costco afterwards and while I was there bought some of their sweet potato fries. I made them with salmon burgers tonight--they were pretty good!

I decided the vegan thing just isn't going to happen. I will eat clean, but I've already done an elimination diet and I know gluten isn't an issue (& that dairy is).  I'll take the dang Humira if I have to but there's more to life than having to eat vegan.  I have too many kids, my husband is gone way too much, and money is to tight to make it work out in some feasible way.

I had to often cut academics short and just go to the part with oldest dd. Since Gymnast is 10 times more difficult than I remember her sister being, I'm imagining a lot of park days with her. I may be able slip in some work while at the park. Those jungle gyms and parkour stuff ya'll linked above? I need something like that. I'm blessed with extremely active children. I think that is why Gymnast is so good at gymnastics. Hey, did I mention how she once saw this kid at open gym do some parkour move, and instead of following through with her front roll tried to copy the bigger kid?  :huh:  Yeah, her back didn't feel too good for a couple of weeks after that. We told her to stick with what she was being taught in class.

• Like 3

I posted this on the main board, but I thought I'd copy it over here for those of you who are afraid:

Tonight dd5 and I began Dick and Jane!!

When ds15 was a toddler, my dmil bought us two volumes of Dick and Jane.  All of my kids have learned to read with them.  And tonight it began for the 6th time.

Dmil passed away several years ago, but I know that she would be thrilled!

• Like 6

I've been asking my husband for 2 weeks to fix my computer because he didn't want me to do it because he knows more about computers than me. :glare: After bringing himself to the black screen of death he handed it to me and told me he didn't know what to do. I reformatted it and then it took me less than an hour to fix all the issues. Girls rule, boys drool!

Sexist Booya!  :coolgleamA:

Edited by Slache
  • Like 8