Menu

Ignore this thread!

My 8:30 alarm just went off. At this time, everyone would be sitting down eating breakfast. Child #1 will be screaming and crying stating he doesn't want _____ in his plate. Which is a moot point because they serve themselves he doesn't have to put the food in his plate if he doesn't want to. Child #2 (the one that hit me on Monday) will be trying to force child #3 to take the milk pitcher, and getting upset because #3 doesn't want it. Thus, #2 will start screaming at the top of his lungs that #3 HAS to take the milk and pour it, but won't do it. #3 is pushing back with a look that says, "what is wrong with that crazy child?" The milk spills. Meanwhile, #1 has slid his chair across the room to the circle area because of the imaginary food in his plate. #4 has started wandering the classroom, probably hiding under the pillow cushions in the library, because that is what he does. But, then, he'll see the spilled the milk and start grabbing a lot of paper towels to help clean it up. Then, he'll take milk and continue to spill it on purpose so he can continue cleaning up. #5 is just being crude and loud, trying to get everyone else to laugh. He'll be told for the tenth time in 10 minutes to stop banging his plate and/or cup on the table. #6 has politely asked me to refill their milk pitcher, while #7 at the same time is yelling to fill the same pitcher, over and over again. #8 used to be such a polite child, now he instigates as much stuff as #'s 2 and 5.

Actually, this is not what would be happening today, because this is what happened yesterday (well, #4 didn't catch the milk spill, but that is something he would do). There would have been a slight variation today. I only have 14 students in my class. Sigh.

Are you at a Head Start? 

That sounds like the HS that I observed at during college (the morning/afternoon classes, the food serving, etc.)

Edited by Southern Ivy

Announcement: It has been a Banner Week here at the Rivendell Academy of the Frozen Tundra.

On Monday, DD received her AoPS grade report for Intro to Counting and Probability. She struggled MIGHTILY through that class, worked super hard, and spent extra time after the final class to bring all Alcumus sections into the blue. She got an A (which may or may not be very impressive because they only give letter grades on request and I suspect they always make it an A), but more impressive were the instructor comments, including "[brilliant child's] ...problem-solving and mathematical computation skills [are] on par with those of a second-year mathematics major at a very selective college."

Yesterday, DD received her grade on her Latin 2 final. Latin 2 being her introduction to real Latin. Up until this year Latin was gentle and informal and I put her in the class with much trepidation. Ninety-one percent on the final, 92% for the semester. Woot!

This morning, I got DD's PSAT report (we did it for a pre-high school baseline.) Under 1400 but super close! She may have a National Merit qualifying score in our state (yay for rural states!) as an 8th grader. Woot Woot!!

So, in summary, :party: :party: :party:

Result: School is closed for the day. We shall head south to Not So Big City and watch the new Star Wars in 3D!

(After I go shovel poop. Le sigh.)

This is wonderful.:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Congratulations to you and your dd. :party:

• Like 1

Poor dd17 was driving to tutorial and ran into a road block - the police were turning everyone around. So she came back home crying because she didn't know another way to get there. Poor thing - I drove her there using the twisty back country roads. Now you have to remind me to pick her up this afternoon.

• Like 2

This is my child and it drives me insane. We don't allow it at home, and she will tell me "Ms. Lorayne says 'Stop that crying'." So, I know her constant drama and fussing is not allowed at school too. I am just at a loss as to how to stop it. We don't give in and we make her restate what she wants in a non-whiny voice. I just don't understand it. 

I totally understand on the "break their spirit". You don't want that to happen, but then again...

I had that last year. There were times I had to just walk away because one student had me past my breaking point. 

I

I would be willing to do that, but I don't have licenses for other states. Missouri has little to no online schooling that I have found, or they want high school teachers. I have yet to find that hidden gem that is looking for an elementary - 6th grade position. 

The thing is, there is no discipline in these student's homes. You can tell by the parents' response. I give strategies that work in the classroom (because they ask what they can do), but there is no follow through. One child has had so much change/drama in his life, everything is responded to as a dramatic event. Everything. I started out the day yesterday telling my two worst offenders that it was going to be words and not screaming that day. It didn't work of course, but when they started up, I get on their level and sign "stop" and remind them they are talking to me today. Half the year is gone, and these kids just. don't. get it.

There are reciprocal licenses, but I haven't started that route yet. There are private schools online too. If you're looking at K12, substitute teachers don't need licenses in the same state. What I need to do is write a Spanish curriculum and sell it.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

Announcement:  It has been a Banner Week here at the Rivendell Academy of the Frozen Tundra.

On Monday, DD received her AoPS grade report for Intro to Counting and Probability.  She struggled MIGHTILY through that class, worked super hard, and spent extra time after the final class to bring all Alcumus sections into the blue.  She got an A (which may or may not be very impressive because they only give letter grades on request and I suspect they always make it an A), but more impressive were the instructor comments, including "[brilliant child's] ...problem-solving and mathematical computation skills [are] on par with those of a second-year mathematics major at a very selective college."

Yesterday, DD received her grade on her Latin 2 final.  Latin 2 being her introduction to real Latin. Up until this year Latin was gentle and informal and I put her in the class with much trepidation.  Ninety-one percent on the final, 92% for the semester.  Woot!

This morning, I got DD's PSAT report (we did it for a pre-high school baseline.)  Under 1400 but super close!  She may have a National Merit qualifying score in our state (yay for rural states!) as an 8th grader.  Woot Woot!!

So, in summary,  :party: :party: :party:

Result:  School is closed for the day.  We shall head south to Not So Big City and watch the new Star Wars in 3D!

(After I go shovel poop. Le sigh.)

That's wonderful news!  Celebrating with you both :party:

• Like 2

John is singing a song about punching Mooies and Mooies is pretending to be terrified.

John doesn't like the "wooden part" of the apple.

I did not send Lynn's DH a friend request, but I apparently wrote Hello with a smiley face on his profile. Lynn, I apologize for my flirtatious behavior.

I am now having coffee and 3 mini reeces for second breakfast.

Junie, it's : seeya : with no spaces.

I hope you feel caught up with my day.

#ihavenolife

#hobitses

• Like 4

I have only recently heard of Lost.  And only because the director of Lost is also the director of Star Wars.

As far as TV goes, I think I live under a rock.

ETA:  This Booyah is dedicated to J.J. Abrams.  And Queen Ellie, the Lost Extra.

Ellie is famous.

I heart Lost.

Poopaerobics!

I woke up a little before 4am and started to doze off again just about the time I had to get up. Birds need food. Music needs editing/printing. I have rehearsal tonight - it will be good to get back to playing with other grownups. :)

The photographer was at dd's birth because the paper was doing an article on the midwife group that I was using and decided to focus their story on my experience. The photographer was very non-intrusive and only came in the room when we gave the OK a few minutes after she was born. We have a gazillion beautiful professional photos of her. :)

So fun!  The picture part.

I like pregnancy. Although with the first I was vomiting for about 7 out of the 9 months. At least I finally figured out it was the 1% milk and switching to whole solved that problem. The second, I was so silly and everything made me laugh. The cat often worried about me, and would try to calm me down by putting her nasty paws in my face. I didn't let her. I laughed at her. I also climbed a fence and couldn't get down. That was funny too. :lol:  Birthing is 50/50 - one csection and a vbac. I'm glad I didn't get late ultrasounds or they would have highly discouraged me from birthing my second. Oh, well, she's here now. I remember some silly nurse, upon learning the weight of my 2nd, exclaiming that I should have had a section. I gave her the strangest look. She realized how strange she sounded considering I pushed the kid out.  :laugh:

This is so weird. :lol:

I love second breakfast. My second breakfast is coffee.

My first and second brekkies are coffee.

Edited because I killed a kitten. :confused1:

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

There's a curriculum for everything. Years ago, I had found Japanese taught in Spanish for free online.

Greek in Spanish: http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/ES/aprende-griego-online.html(modern Greek)

Links to other sites teaching Classic Greek in Spanish. http://doceoetdisco.blogspot.com/2013/10/aprender-griego-clasico.html

After all, not only English-speaking people want to learn other languages. Have fun!

ETA: Forgot this one

I learned Persian in French and German in Russian. German from Russian is much easier. Persian from French is kind of funny because they keep explaining that Persian doesn't have x, y, and z... but English doesn't either.

• Like 2

So are mine, and they're just preK. I can celebrate that I've cut down the number of biters from 2 to 0 and the number of hitters from 8 to 1(or 2, depending on the day). However, the cryers and screamers continue. It's constantly, "Aaaahhhhhh!!!! He touched my plate!!!!!!" Whatever, seriously. Two of them are constant cryers and screamers. One is so off the chain and rude. He was hitting me on Monday. When I told his dad, the dad was like, "I don't know why he gets upset like that. Ok, you don't hit, remember?" I'm like, "Spank the kid until you break his spirit." No, not really, but it's been that kind of year. It is hard to get learning through play, when I'm still trying to teach half of them how to play. I have no flicker of hope for next year. We're getting the kids on the ground floor.   :lol:

This is my child and it drives me insane. We don't allow it at home, and she will tell me "Ms. Lorayne says 'Stop that crying'." So, I know her constant drama and fussing is not allowed at school too. I am just at a loss as to how to stop it. We don't give in and we make her restate what she wants in a non-whiny voice. I just don't understand it. 

I totally understand on the "break their spirit". You don't want that to happen, but then again...

I had that last year. There were times I had to just walk away because one student had me past my breaking point. 

I used to work from home (mostly) for 7 years. I choose flexible jobs, so some I call work from home, but may actually be outside when dh was home with dd16 (she was an only child for 11 years). For example, I've done tutoring both online and face-to-face, but I call that an at-home job because I chose my tutoring days and hours. I've had home daycare. I've also done a lot of phone customer service for different companies, including the IRS. There is no way I could work phones with how noisy my 2nd is, though.   :lol:

I'm looking to work as a teacher for an online school. The problem is my license is early childhood and only goes up to 3rd grade. I'd have to take another year of classes to get an elementary license or special ed (my preference), and I don't really want to do that. I'll see what happens, but hopefully I have something in place by May.

I would be willing to do that, but I don't have licenses for other states. Missouri has little to no online schooling that I have found, or they want high school teachers. I have yet to find that hidden gem that is looking for an elementary - 6th grade position. 

A couple of things:

1. Washington State has pathways to becoming a teacher for online teachers:

http://www.k12.wa.us/certification/Teacher/ProCert.aspx

2. Seriously if you could break their spirit I would have done it. Honestly, I think some kids are just born to push and you can blame the parents all you want but ultimately, you can't even beat it out of them. I have been way meaner to my daughter than I ever wanted to in the hope of getting her to become more compliant and only passive-aggressive and reverse psychology works. Anything remotely intended at breaking her spirit just fails. ETA: I don't want to break her. I just want her to stop fighting me on, say, brushing teeth! But that is her spirit! Ugh.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

I went to bed last night with a headache.  I slept well until dh's alarm went off.  My headache went from a 3 (when I went to bed) to at least a 6.  I was crying.  Dh was smooshing an ice pack into my neck.  I got back to sleep and woke up at 10.

I still have a headache (it's about a 2 now) and I want to go back to bed.  I'll wait until after lunch.  We skipped Spanish today (because I slept in), so we are doing clock flashcards during lunch.  Older dc are learning to tell time in Spanish.  Younger dc are learning to tell time in English.

Dc's history lesson today was on dh's ancestors who lived in York County, PA in the 1700s.  My home.  Somehow, even though he's from another state, his family was in York 200 years before mine.

• Like 1

A couple of things:

1. Washington State has pathways to becoming a teacher for online teachers:

http://www.k12.wa.us/certification/Teacher/ProCert.aspx

2. Seriously if you could break their spirit I would have done it. Honestly, I think some kids are just born to push and you can blame the parents all you want but ultimately, you can't even beat it out of them. I have been way meaner to my daughter than I ever wanted to in the hope of getting her to become more compliant and only passive-aggressive and reverse psychology works. Anything remotely intended at breaking her spirit just fails. ETA: I don't want to break her. I just want her to stop fighting me on, say, brushing teeth! But that is her spirit! Ugh.

I view those kids as lacking skills in interpersonal relationships.  They are demonstrating that they are learning poor techniques from their families.  One of the most heartbreaking things I ever went through was a training for attorneys on children in need of care (lingo for children in protective services).  There were a series of slides of images from functional MRIs of these kids and how their brains were literally forming differently because of the experiences that they have gone through.

Children in intact homes who are still kind of functioning are experiencing that to a lesser degree. I don't believe the solution is to pull them out of their families or shame/beat/break them into submission---it's to give them the skills that they need so that they have some hope in functioning well in society as adults.  Too often these kids graduate and have no understanding on how to accept constructive criticism, how to handle frustration or anger, and how to persevere at a hard task.

Feeding of the pre-teen boy is underway. I hear him gobbling down the cold hamburger and growling from his quiet cave in my room. He did not get his walk this morning (because cold rain). But I've told him to take fifteen before lunch and go see what the creek is doing. 

• Like 3

We got a late start today because rheumatoid arthritis.

We are ending early  (by 2pm) because 70F.  We are going to go have P.E. at the park.  Sensory boy needs to go swing for two hours.  I am taking a picnic blanket and a book.

My nephew is sensory. I think my sister would be insanely jealous of you and your 70* right now. 

We found an awesome climbing gym that would go great in the garage, but it's too expensive right now. 

http://www.step2.com/p/Skyward-Summit

• Like 1

I went to bed last night with a headache.  I slept well until dh's alarm went off.  My headache went from a 3 (when I went to bed) to at least a 6.  I was crying.  Dh was smooshing an ice pack into my neck.  I got back to sleep and woke up at 10.

I still have a headache (it's about a 2 now) and I want to go back to bed.  I'll wait until after lunch.  We skipped Spanish today (because I slept in), so we are doing clock flashcards during lunch.  Older dc are learning to tell time in Spanish.  Younger dc are learning to tell time in English.

Dc's history lesson today was on dh's ancestors who lived in York County, PA in the 1700s.  My home.  Somehow, even though he's from another state, his family was in York 200 years before mine.

I feel like I should remember this, but where do you live now, Junie?  Do you still have family in York County?

My nephew is sensory. I think my sister would be insanely jealous of you and your 70* right now. 

We found an awesome climbing gym that would go great in the garage, but it's too expensive right now. 

http://www.step2.com/p/Skyward-Summit

My DS needs something more like this: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Indoor+Parkour+garage&view=detailv2&&id=3EB8D4A697DD685F14361CE2C6F91B511241585C&selectedIndex=0&ccid=U4d9qjbB&simid=608035535943368868&thid=OIP.M53877daa36c15d8cb2ab2e7e98592fe5o0

Totally unrealistic due to space limitations here, but boy would he be happy.

• Like 2

I may have missed this, but do you know what's causing the headaches? 

Oh my! Mandy (my sister) would kill for something like that!

They live right behind the private school where my nephew goes to preschool. They dismiss at 11:30 and Mandy and Zeke will stay on the playground until about 1:00 every day. 

If there is no school, they go to a gymnastics gym that is open to the public, or hit up the indoor playgrounds at Chick-fil-a or McDonalds, go to Fun City (which is like Chuck E Cheese or Incredible Pizza or something comparable), or go to a bounce house place. 

There is no wearing this kid out. 

• Like 3

Oh my! Mandy (my sister) would kill for something like that!

They live right behind the private school where my nephew goes to preschool. They dismiss at 11:30 and Mandy and Zeke will stay on the playground until about 1:00 every day. 

If there is no school, they go to a gymnastics gym that is open to the public, or hit up the indoor playgrounds at Chick-fil-a or McDonalds, go to Fun City (which is like Chuck E Cheese or Incredible Pizza or something comparable), or go to a bounce house place. 

There is no wearing this kid out. 

We have a pretty good park near us where DS likes to do parkour (I now know what this is!  LOL), but in the winter it is dark by the time I get home from work.  And then we school.  I sooooo wish I could just send him out to the garage between subjects.  I may have to nudge DH into creating a space for him in there to work out.  Pad the walls and let him swing like Tarzan.

• Like 2

((Junie)) Migraines are the devil's tool.

I have already made dinner. I had to. Cereal for dinner last night shamed me into it:-)

But since I just did a Peapod order and it won't be here until tomorrow, I had to get creative. First, I marinated some chopped venison in Apple cider, olive oil, and balsamic. Them, I sautéed onions and garlic. I browned the meat with the onions, added some milk and corn starch. Thickened it. Threw some edamame in a casserole, poured the mess on top and then finished it all off with some gluten-free pancake mix. It is in the oven now. I will test it for lunch to make sure it is edible for my crew and my in-laws.

If I don't come back, have a nice memorial service for me, k?

• Like 5

I view those kids as lacking skills in interpersonal relationships.  They are demonstrating that they are learning poor techniques from their families.  One of the most heartbreaking things I ever went through was a training for attorneys on children in need of care (lingo for children in protective services).  There were a series of slides of images from functional MRIs of these kids and how their brains were literally forming differently because of the experiences that they have gone through.

Children in intact homes who are still kind of functioning are experiencing that to a lesser degree. I don't believe the solution is to pull them out of their families or shame/beat/break them into submission---it's to give them the skills that they need so that they have some hope in functioning well in society as adults.  Too often these kids graduate and have no understanding on how to accept constructive criticism, how to handle frustration or anger, and how to persevere at a hard task.

I was talking about my own kids. :(

We did get a divorce and it was no fun, but don't many kids go through that?

They aren't in protective services and in fact when we were military I was called upon twice as a possible model parent / group leader, that's how bad things are in the military I guess.

I try to remain calm and consistent but none of it seems to help. I try to give constructive criticism, I try to teach them deep breathing, I try to help my older daughter persevere but it doesn't help much. Maybe we damaged her too much already. Maybe I am damaged. I don't know.

Honestly I would give my whole life just to start over or not.

Believe me so many times, and I am college educated, I am re-partnered, we have a stable life, we are technically affluent, so many times I have thought, "maybe someone like prairiewindmama can make my kids normal, maybe I should give them up". I don't know what to do.

I have tried. I am trying now. We aren't moving and haven't moved in three years which is a big milestone for me, you know? No new jobs, no new schools. I am trying. Lots of people have to move around a bit when kids are little and their kids aren't like mine.

I wish there were a solution that I could apply. I am a determined person and dedicated to my children but I don't know what I can to to change them.

I have kicked today's butt in spite of lack of sleep.  Usually that is how it goes.  When I am overly tired, I push myself because I would rather be productive and tired than just tired.

Christmas decor (very little) is put up, laundry is done, two meals were made and consumed, dishes were washed, and school has been done.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

Christmas decor (very little) is put up,

Mine is still up. I'm slightly embarrassed. :/ I had planned on putting it away after we got back from our Christmas travels, but got a bad stomach virus. Then with dd's ER visit and subsequent drs visits, I just haven't had the desire to do anything. 

I plan on getting it put away this weekend, though. 

• Like 3

Dear friends, I woke up at 1:30 am like my butt was on fire, and I did not go back to sleep until after 5 am.  This is unacceptable.

Thank you,

the Management

Careful bathing would fix that for you.  :lol:

ETA:  ACK!!!!  It's a "Wash your bum" Booyah!  That's horrible! 

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 9

Tsuga--hope you saw this too.  

I did not... it is a huge struggle in my life, to be a good parent to my kid and believe in her but also to understand myself.

I am one of those people, when I see things like "you shouldn't have kids if you can't afford them", "people are lazy", "people are stupid", "kids nowadays have no discipline", "people can't work", I don't apply that to others. I apply it to myself. I don't think, "yes, other people sure are." Instead I think, "gosh, I am trying so hard, could that be true?" And I work harder or try other things to make it not true.

I can't just think, "Well that surely doesn't apply to me or my kids." I can't think that. I have tried to think that. But it doesn't make sense. Because the people who think those things are usually the worst. It's a catch-22.

Ah, and see for me, realizing that my kid isn't a bad kid---he is a kid who lacks flexibility, perseverance, and the ability to self-regulate helps me love my kid even when I don't love his behaviors.

(Said kid is melting down on the floor right now because the perfectionism monster took over and he's struggling with his math.)

Still haven't made it to the stinking park.

• Like 2

Sometimes it just really takes life to teach lessons like taking constructive criticism, dealing with frustration and anger and learning to work hard.

But not so hard you kill yourself. 

Honestly, I did not graduate college with anything but the persevere lesson firmly in place, and it drove me to depression because I was working hard in the wrong place and in the wrong ways. Everything else I've learned over the years in my own way and in my own time. Hopefully, I'll make it to ninety or so, because I've a feeling that I've still got a lot to learn!

Anyway, that's supposed to be positive. If character lessons stopped at twenty, I'd be in bad shape myself!

• Like 7