• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Happy Resurrection Day.

Church starts at 10:00 this morning.

I got a lot to do. Made my pound cake yesterday and the tres leches sauce. However, i cooked it too long. Hopefully I can thin it out with some heavy cream.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Late egg hunt. We still have Easter candy leftover from last year so each egg is worth one day off math. Including Isaac...

Everyone has a basket with chips, crackers, a white chocolate bunny (because white symbolizes the purity of Christ, so it's still Christian 😂) and a Cadbury creme egg. Oh, Mary doesn't get a bunny. She opted for peeps because she's pegan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So ds18 actually liked what I made for Easter dinner and had seconds of both the lamb roast and strawberry spinach salad.  Svengo.  He rarely eats much more a bite of anything I make.  I tried to keep my astonishment under wraps, lol.

Please come to my house and finish up the banana pudding and strawberry pretzel salad/dessert.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Monday!!

But it’s the first day of my Spring Break, so it is a wonderful Monday. 

I have a dermatologist appointment in the Big City, after which I am going to have lunch with IRL-BFF and the. go to the pet shop and get hamster stuff for middle DD and the medical supply store and get a nebulizer for oldest DD.

Easter went well yesterday. it always pays to get a spiral cut ham because they are  so much easier to deal with. Won’t be making that pound cake again. Dry. And i ate too much candy. So, I need to make a concerted effort to get back to Weight Watchers.

• Like 4

Edpo. I want to make decisions now based on what we do for high school but I'm not 100% certain what high school will hold. I'm specifically talking about science and the fact that he wants to spend time focusing on anatomy (I'm heavily considering Apologia Anatomy) but if we were to do that we lose time for the traditional science sequence and I want to feel like I have everything covered. So I don't know if I want to start things a year ahead or drop a traditional course, like physics. 

Part of my issue is that I don't know what what's expected so I don't know if dropping something like physics is completely taboo or common. I don't even know if he's going to college. I wish he'd figure his life out so I can decide what to do. So, what do you do when you don't know what to do?

• Like 4

My high school didn't offer physics, which definitely made college physics harder, but I was also a science major.   

Oldest dd dropped physics (after cursing out her teacher), and didn't have a problem getting into or doing well in college, but she was not a science major.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

Of course, I don't remember anything from high school physics, so maybe it's not that important...

I never took chemistry.  I think as long as you have 2 or 3 lab science courses in, your all good for whatever comes next.

fwiw, I wish my graduating senior would figure out his life so I can decide what to do, lol.

• Like 4

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

I slept late.  Well, not actual sleeping, just not getting out of bed until 7:30.  We had leftover Easter eggs and strawberries for breakfast and since then I've been trying to get things done and put out fires.  I sent an email and a text and ordered a couple things and found a couple things.

This afternoon we have normal instrument lessons, choir, and scouts.

Coffee!

• Like 4

FWIW, in California to be college prep, you need to have one life science and one physical science (Chemistry or Earth/Space) and one of those has to have a lab. It is preferred to have 3 years of science, but two are required.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

He wants to do Earth, Bio, Chem, Physics, and Anatomy, and I want him to take a formal health class, so that's 5.5 years. I was trying to decide the level of difficulty of next year's physical science course based on what we might do later because he's right on the edge between two levels. I think I know what to do, and unfortunately he'll have to make choices later, but I think by then he'll be more tuned in to what he wants anyway. He just wants to do everything. He always has, and has paid the price more than once.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Junie said:

We don't count health as a science credit.  At my public high school, it was lumped in with physical education.

Our umbrella requires a health course - though I don't think it's counted as a science.  Requires in a loose sense.  Maybe "strongly encouraged" if college is going to be a consideration, though I don't know that colleges are especially concerned about seeing it on a transcript.  I don't know.  My brain is tired.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Dianthus said:

I don't get this.

13 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Books is a WTMism for a female part of the body that is held up by BookShelves.  It's often spelled with an upper case B even in the middle of the sentence in order to help the reader see that it's a euphemism. 

It's also shown as b00ks, with two zeros.

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Monday!!

But it’s the first day of my Spring Break, so it is a wonderful Monday. 

I have a dermatologist appointment in the Big City, after which I am going to have lunch with IRL-BFF and the. go to the pet shop and get hamster stuff for middle DD and the medical supply store and get a nebulizer for oldest DD.

Easter went well yesterday. it always pays to get a spiral cut ham because they are  so much easier to deal with. Won’t be making that pound cake again. Dry. And i ate too much candy. So, I need to make a concerted effort to get back to Weight Watchers.

I also ate too much candy. Portions went out the window with those Cadburys.

5 hours ago, Slache said:

Of course, I don't remember anything from high school physics, so maybe it's not that important...

I never took physics. Or chemistry, for that matter. I took anatomy and biology, then for my BA I took Anatomy, then Physiology.

5 hours ago, Slache said:

He wants to do Earth, Bio, Chem, Physics, and Anatomy, and I want him to take a formal health class, so that's 5.5 years. I was trying to decide the level of difficulty of next year's physical science course based on what we might do later because he's right on the edge between two levels. I think I know what to do, and unfortunately he'll have to make choices later, but I think by then he'll be more tuned in to what he wants anyway. He just wants to do everything. He always has, and has paid the price more than once.

Health isn't a science, and it's only one semester. He could do that in one summer, probably. If he does dual enrollment later, the rest of the sciences are also completed in a semester, so that's another thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The order that would the most sense IMO, if one can already do algebra, is physics, chemistry, biology, anatomy. Each builds on the one before.

Is that the order I'm using with DS? No. But he had a good bit of science in middle school, so now he's in biology, then will take chemistry, then environmental science, and then presumably back to physics.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 73349 said:

The order that would the most sense IMO, if one can already do algebra, is physics, chemistry, biology, anatomy. Each builds on the one before.

Is that the order I'm using with DS? No. But he had a good bit of science in middle school, so now he's in biology, then will take chemistry, then environmental science, and then presumably back to physics.

Our physics needed more than just basic algebra.  Though we did a separate "math for physics" unit at the same time, to shore up what was needed.  Especially for practice using certain physics formulas.

• Like 4