• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I spent the day getting DS17 ready and off to the one campout he will likely ever go on. We are not camping people despite having 4 sons who went through varying levels of Scouts. I was so happy when our church said no more Scouts via church. Just not our thing. He will age out in May for our youth group, though because he has one more high school year, he could keep going. I told him it’s his choice. I think he’ll bail as he would be the oldest young man there with a 2 yr gap to the next kid down. The rest are all 11-12.

Dinner was okay- orange chicken and rice with ice cream and chocolate chocolate chip cookies for dessert. DD also made homemade garlic bread knots. The guests liked it.

I have to put my bed back together before I can crash. We only have one set of sheets.

Jean’s comments about never asking for money for their church reminded me of the story of George Muller. Incredible faith he had.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Dinner was okay- orange chicken and rice with ice cream and chocolate chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Good idea I should make orange chicken for dinner. It's orange season I am surrounded by oranges. I think I'll be making a second round of orange juice tonight...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ds passed his driver's test and is now a fully licensed driver.   

Dh made a comment a couple days ago about having to think about a car for youngest dd and I was just like "What??!?@?@?@?"   But she is going to be 16 this summer so I guess that's about right.   Ugh.  I'm so old.   My baby is going to be 16.

Dd did really well at her tkd test.   She ended up getting upset in the car on our way over unrelated stuff but pulled it together and went to do her test.   Part of it was sparring and she spars like a little whirlwind, to the point another parent actually said something to her after the test about her being a "total dynamo".  She just gets right in there, non-stop movement.   She needs two more stripes and she can test for her 2nd degree black belt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, 73349 said:

Are you still getting mail/email from the church you no longer attend? And do they have to report membership numbers for denominational purposes or anything?

No paper mail. Dh gets occasional emails, and finds them interesting. I was never on an email list. I took the kids to a summer event last summer and they had to re register as visitors because their info was no longer on file. I guess that would have been 2 years after we last attended. 

I would find it a little awkward to write a letter.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dianthus said:

I would find it a little awkward to write a letter.

For sure. I wound up writing,

Dear [name],
               Since last fall, I have been considering the next steps in my faith journey. Today, I officially joined another congregation, [Current Church].

I’m ready to withdraw from membership in [Former Church]. Enclosed is a check for the remainder of my pledge for 2019-2020.

I am thankful for my time with the [FC] community, and wish everyone the best. I look forward to continuing in partnership with [FC's denomination] as we work together to build greater love and justice in the world.

Yours truly,
                                                           [my name]

It was important to me to officially withdraw partly because in the past, FC had struggled to pay denominational dues, which are based on the official membership count each February.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Saturday!!

Well, we are pretty soggy here in our neck of the woods, but nothing like other parts of the state. We even have a major river flowing through our town, but we do have good drainage and when we get a break in the rain things dry out.  I’ve seen some horrible pictures of others places in the state, though.

DD is having a birthday party tonight, so I guess i need to get things going. She’s pretty much in charge of it, so i just need to deal with food and make some cupcakes. And rally the troops to clean up the house.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, 73349 said:

For sure. I wound up writing,

It was important to me to officially withdraw partly because in the past, FC had struggled to pay denominational dues, which are based on the official membership count each February.

We don't belong to a denomination currently though I have been a member of denominational churches in the past.  I had no idea there was something like denominational dues. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We don't belong to a denomination currently though I have been a member of denominational churches in the past.  I had no idea there was something like denominational dues. 

Do you have a box for donations? How do people donate without a collection plate?

• Like 2

We pay tithing just like in the Bible.

Morning! DS enjoyed his campout.

DH is outside mowing the lawn.

Little Man is watching him. DD is asleep.

DS18 is reading.

I’m supposed to be making lesson plans for the week, but I’m staring at and debating fall’s plan cause that’s fun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dianthus said:

Do you have a box for donations? How do people donate without a collection plate?

Our church has boxes set out by the door - one for tithes and one for the deacon's fund (charitable gifts and other purposes) but I think a lot of people use automatic giving from their bank accounts and stuff.  Like auto-bill paying.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Good afternoon!

I just missed morning.  I was awake at dark o'clock but eventually dozed off again.  Then went to AutoZone to have them do the thingy to see why the check-engine light is on.  Seems the thermostat needs to be replaced.

Then I went to Aldi for some groceries and now back home.  I have a headache which may just be from lack of sleep.  I should probably eat something.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good afternoon!

I just missed morning.  I was awake at dark o'clock but eventually dozed off again.  Then went to AutoZone to have them do the thingy to see why the check-engine light is on.  Seems the thermostat needs to be replaced.

Then I went to Aldi for some groceries and now back home.  I have a headache which may just be from lack of sleep.  I should probably eat something.

Coffee!

I'm impressed at you going for your own engine diagnostic. 

• Like 4

I'm probably going to get in trouble for posting this but my pastor (ie. my dh) doesn't believe or teach tithing for those of us in the church age.  Tithing was a temple tax in the OT.  We believe and teach grace giving.  Some people find it helpful to budget out 10 percent but that's their choice.  (And I realize that some people probably use the word "tithing" while not specific meaning tithing in an OT sense but others see it as an obligation.  We see grace giving as a heart response to God's grace as well as sharing that grace with others in the church.) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm probably going to get in trouble for posting this but my pastor (ie. my dh) doesn't believe or teach tithing for those of us in the church age.  Tithing was a temple tax in the OT.  We believe and teach grace giving.  Some people find it helpful to budget out 10 percent but that's their choice.  (And I realize that some people probably use the word "tithing" while not specific meaning tithing in an OT sense but others see it as an obligation.  We see grace giving as a heart response to God's grace as well as sharing that grace with others in the church.) 

Interesting.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm impressed at you going for your own engine diagnostic. 

Well, they said they had the parts needed for replacing it, but I'd have no idea what to do with them.  There's a good youtube video that shows how to do it but I think I'll have to bring it in next week.

• Like 6

Spring forward, ugh. I detest daylight savings time.

We had the most awkward situation today. I have a really hard time keeping my face straight when my kids laugh. 😬 But it was funny. 😂 

So busy. What happened to my day? It just disappeared. And then my night is an hour shorter. I still have 3 baskets of laundry to fold and one more in the dryer and washing another. I didn't do so many things that I should have.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Junie said:

Also, backing up a few posts:  Our church stopped collecting offerings during covid and never restarted.  Most people just give online.

Our church just started back collecting offerings. I do it online still.

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Unfortunately that is a perception. That’s why I issued my own diploma (as is legal in my state). 

This is what I did, too.

8 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I just issued my own diploma to ds.   He's attending community college and they didn't care.  I provided a transcript, he took their placement tests and started taking classes.   He never even took the SAT/ACT.   

As well as this. Dancer did the community college placement tests when she started dual enrollment. She can just transfer credits to university, if she decides to go, and will not need the SAT/ACT. This was important to us because she doesn't test well (she does qualify for accommodations, though).

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Green Bean said:

So according to “some people”, if my kid takes the GED, it means he wasn’t educated and is a drop out. How nice…😒

It was employers, not homeschoolers, that held a high school diploma higher than a GED.

It's a broad societal stigma spanning decades, not just a homeschool thought of a few. In the beginning, those that dropped out of high school (for whatever reasons), but went back later (too old for high school), got a GED. Thus the stigma of GED = high school dropout. This stigma affected job opportunities, even ones like getting in the military; a student with a high school diploma (even a homeschool diploma) is ranked higher than one with a GED in the military. That mindset is still out there, although I hear the GED test is a lot more difficult now.  (It was updated a few years ago.)

Before homeschool rights were better protected, in some states they wanted/required homeschooled students to get a GED to get into college, or to be considered a graduate and qualify for some jobs. Homeschool parents fought back because their student was not a dropout (as society sees a GED-holder), but did a full high school curriculum at home. They did not want their student to have doors closed because they had a GED instead of a diploma, so they fought for the right to issue a diploma and it be accepted.

Interestingly, it seems it has been easier for employers to accept a homeschool diploma more than a GED, even though the GED has been around a longer...  And the person holding a GED actually took the initiative to study and sit for the test...

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Spring forward, ugh. I detest daylight savings time.

We had the most awkward situation today. I have a really hard time keeping my face straight when my kids laugh. 😬 But it was funny. 😂 

So busy. What happened to my day? It just disappeared. And then my night is an hour shorter. I still have 3 baskets of laundry to fold and one more in the dryer and washing another. I didn't do so many things that I should have.

It’s daylight savings time?  I didn’t know…

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning.

If you didn't spring ahead, spring ahead!

Church in person today and it's sleeting. 😕

DS is probably not going to get to try horseback riding today because of the weather. 😕

The dryer won't heat. 🙄 This is the diva of appliances. DH is going to try replacing the same part as last time.

• Like 5

I got outside, walked around my car to get the scraper, found a slippery spot in the driveway, and changed my mind. It's a 7-mile drive and I don't believe the roads got salted/sanded because no accumulation is expected. If the driveway is slippery, other places may be, too, and I don't want to be kicking myself for driving when I shouldn't have. #TeamNope

So I will do Zoom/livestream for my class and the service, and I guess I just miss the meeting. I have things I need to drop off in the next couple of days, but that's fine.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Sunday!!

Happy Daylight Savings Time!!  Not!!

Crazy Saturday!! A couple of major thunderstorms yesterday. Our old neighborhood got flooded during, but after the water drained. Where we live how was fine.  A lot of rain, but good drainage.  We are also higher up. It was pretty awesome.

Oldest DD had her birthday party yesterday. She’s 17, so pretty much able to plan and execute it herself. Her friends all brought charcuterie boards, and planned it so they all brought something different. When the girls all took off to “vandalize” (with balloons) the houses of a couple boys in their class, the little girls and I got into the boards.  They were YUMMY!! oh my word those girls are amazing.

The little girls and I holed up in my bedroom all evening and watched movies.  Legally Blonde and the first Pirates of the Caribbean. I just can’t stop drooling over Will Turner.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Good morning!

Everyone here did the forward spring.  Ds27 took ds18 and dd20 to church and I drove the hour to pick up the girls and Extra Scout from their weekend campout, dropped Extra Scout off at his place and then home.  I have a rehearsal in a couple hours.  Musical music, so kinda fun stuff.  I'd rather take a nap.

Coffee!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Renai said:

It's a broad societal stigma spanning decades, not just a homeschool thought of a few. In the beginning, those that dropped out of high school (for whatever reasons), but went back later (too old for high school), got a GED. Thus the stigma of GED = high school dropout. This stigma affected job opportunities, even ones like getting in the military; a student with a high school diploma (even a homeschool diploma) is ranked higher than one with a GED in the military. That mindset is still out there, although I hear the GED test is a lot more difficult now.  (It was updated a few years ago.)

I never even thought about this. I always thought they were equivalent. In fact my unknowing self would have though GED more impressive than just graduating high school. GED you actually had to seek out and take some test. To me high school can be showing up to a building somewhat for four years.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

iNapped.

iwish

I folded the laundry. Of course another in dryer and another in washer but maybe it can be done tonight and I'll start the week with no laundry.

We had corned beef in January, and I don't really feel like having it again. It's our St Paddy's tradition so I'm not sure about a replacement.

• Like 6