Menu

Ignore this thread!

We're supposed to get super heavy rain, thunderstorms, winds, possible tornados today.   We also have a 4-H meeting schedule for right in the middle of all of the above.   I won't have to go out to get to the meeting since I'll already be at work, but I am wondering if attendance is going to be light and also wondering if we should just go ahead and cancel.    

ETA:  Oh goody, a crappy weather booya. 

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 4

Looks like crappy weather is  holding off until later tonight so I guess it's good I didn't cancel 4H.   

I'm sitting here procrastinating cleaning up my classroom.  It has magic snow and orbeez all over the place from one of my classes.   I need to clean it up before 4H but I really don't want to.  

• Like 5

Good morning!

I slept until after 6 this morning!  Yay!  And I don't have anywhere to go today, so that will be nice.  I have to have another "come to Jesus" meeting with ds17 and do some cleaning and tidying.  One of these days I will get laundry done.  Next week we are supposed to have a big cool-down so I need the girls to start putting away summer clothes.

Coffee!

• Like 3

I spent more than 15 minutes in the Garage of Doom because I found a box of Scout stuff that needs to be returned to the troop.  Ds27 is planning to take a van load of cardboard to the recycling center tomorrow and that will clear up a good deal of space.  

Also, I hammered a small nail with a screw driver.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Susan in TN

Banana Bread

Dry Bowl- 

2 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Wet Bowl (I use a 4 c glass measuring cup)-

1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (I use overripe frozen, thawed, usually 4 bananas)

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup canola oil

1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I always omit these)

Directions-

Preheat oven to 350. Mix dry bowl ingredients with a fork, then mix the wet bowl ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the dry bowl. Mix together and pour batter into a buttered and floured bread pan and bake uncovered for 1 hour. Check with a toothpick (I use a butter knife) and if it's not completely done, bake another 5 minutes until toothpick (or butter knife) comes out clean. Remove bread from the pan while it's still hot and allow the loaf to cool some before slicing.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday!   Another week over, another week closer to my break week.   

This first session is the hardest because it is 8 weeks without a break.  All the other weeks have holiday weeks during them.  Second session is easy because we never work for more than 3 weeks at a time, but of course it then takes forever to get through it - 3 full months to do an 8 week session.   

Dh and I are going to Salem and Plymouth for the weekend at the start of my break.   It was a trip he was originally planning right before Covid hit.   Hopefully we'll have nice fall weather.   Oldest dd is coming and staying with the younger guys.  

• Like 5

I have a private class that I teach on Fridays.  It's younger kids, which is not my preference but I have done it for years and have gotten positive feedback from in the past.  This particular group has a few kids with some behavior issues.  One is big with back talk, disagrees and complains about everything, and told me today he was a ninja and could (would?) kill me. 🙄  I'm doing the same activities I do with another young class I teach earlier in the week.  That group seems to love everything and leaves happy.  This group doesn't pay attention to what to do so things don't always work, or they don't get as much done.   

But the biggest issue I have is there's one mom who sits in class with her child, who hasn't wanted mom to leave the last couple weeks.  Not a big deal we have that occasionally, but this mom interrupts a lot.  She corrects, but not in the way I would prefer or on the things I would actually correct.  She scolded them for being silly today (not an issue to me) but didn't comment on the kid telling me he'd beat me up.  🙄  Or she comments repeating what I say, etc.  She may mean well but it's actually more disruptive.   I tried saying something but she didn't really acknowledge, and may not have heard me or realized I was talking to her (I tried to do it quietly to not make it a thing with the kids). 

So anyway, the class hasn't been what it could be and I haven't been enjoying it the way I usually enjoy my classes.   This week we handed out papers about registering for our next session and since this was a private group, I gave them all to the organizer.   They have some issues with conflicts so they weren't sure they would continue.

Today I get an email asking if one of my other teachers (two mentioned in particular) could take over the class.    I'm trying to decide if I should be insulted.  😆  Neither of the other teachers are available Fridays, and honestly, I know at least one of them would be miserable with this group.   I may just take the opportunity to mention the conflicts and suggest they skip this coming session. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

23 hours ago, Slache said:

Two of Mary's paintings a year apart.

IMG20221013185844.jpg

IMG20221013185901.jpg

I'm sending Oldest to you for Art class. He's really enjoying the program we're using, but this is the first year we've ventured into Art other than crafts and such.

Mary's choice of colors in the red one is something I never would've dreamed of working together, but it so does. I keep going back and looking at it again because it's really unlike anything I've seen before. I love the blue one. It's like looking across the water from the shore at night through a telescopic lense. Really cool.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning, Happy Saturday.   I slept in nicely, it's a bright sunny day, dh is finally installing the last of our cabinets/countertops so we can start putting stuff away.    Should be a nice relaxing day.    May run out to BJs if dh is up for it.  May redo my drawers to put summer stuff in the harder to reach ones and winter stuff close at hand, if he isn't up to going out.   

• Like 4

We did a bit of a reset with our 4H clubs this year.  Changed the time to 4pm, are meeting with both our stem clubs at the same time, meeting more often, etc.   So far things are going really well.  A lot of the new members are kids from classes, which makes it fun coming up with new and different activities, but they are great kids that we know already which means we can give them slightly harder challenges.  

We have a county-wide activity coming up next weekend and I posted about it on our facebook group.   I already have 4 kids signed up to come help out!   Last year I would have had nobody.  We may actually have a good turn out at fair next year, that would be so amazing!

• Like 4

I heard back from the mom coordinator for the private class that asked for a different teacher.  They seem to want to still do next session anyway.   I think they do not realize the person they are emailing (I have an automatic signature for general emails that is just the business name), is also their teacher, is also the owner.    I did introduce myself as the owner the first week, but they could have forgotten.  But I also talked to the coordinator about a payment thing, which should have made it clear I could make decisions about payments, which I wouldn't expect just a random teacher to be able to do.   

If they do realize, the email kind of hits a different level of rude.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D (is not ready yet, I forgot to make it last night, but I got sugar-free Peppermint Mocha Creamer from the AFSA last night, so life is good.)

Saturday!!

Busy busy day. I am taking oldest DD to the Big City to look for a dress for the Winter (?) (try autumn) Formal next month. Ugh. I hate shopping. However, our trip last January was painless and pretty successful, so it might not be that bad.  I need to bake some bread when we get home because tomorrow family is coming over for lunch for my mom’s birthday which is Monday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think I'm going to try a bullet journal again.    I love the idea of it but I need a planner that I can leave open to the current page of to-dos and appointments or I will forget everything.   Spiral notebooks are ugly and don't travel well.  The lovely bound journals I have don't stay open to a page easily.    But I bought one of these (actually two of these, one for home and one for work):  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QB4CPS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  to see how it would work to hold the pages open.   I have a lovely journal with a golden dragon on the cover that I'm going to set up and see if I can really use it effectively.  

I also looked at book weights but I think something like that clip will work better for my uses.

• Like 5

My organizational habits (appointments, to-do lists, budgeting) are all very personal and made from scratch. I don’t know if it’s a rebellious thing (I want to do it my way) or if I just really like to personalize things, but that’s the way it is. And I never buy pretty journals and pre-made stuff. I like composition books for everything. I do cover them and make them pretty that way, and I love colored pens.  This is my latest Bible study journal…. I cover it with that paper you get in Amazon boxes and then use colored paper and jewels to decorate it.

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My daily tackle list is texted to Selkie multiple times a day as I complete things. (She does the same to me). 

actual appointments are on my phone calendar. 

otherwise my “bullet journal “ is a stack of scraps of paper with jotted notes that are strewn across my desk and that I rifle through in panic when I want to remember something. (I never said that it was a good system). 

• Like 3

When I get new items that I need to do, things I need to remember to order, etc. but that aren't going to be done immediately, I email them to myself.  Then later on I see them and can either do them or add them to the appropriate calendar or list.  That system is a definite habit now so I'll stick with that.   

Immediate to-dos, I do write post-it notes and put them on the edge of my laptop keyboard.   But an open page in a bullet journal/planner would be better.  

• Like 3

Good afternoon!

I went to a brunch for widows this morning - it was very nice.  The rest of the day will be spent tidying and cleaning and making pumpkin muffins in preparation for the Ladies of Grief Book Club which I am hosting tomorrow.  There are some Items of Avoidance that I should also get started on.

Coffee!

• Like 5