Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

PierSide Grill webcam (Fort Myers Beach) shows two poor guys who want to go down the pier pre-hurricane but it's been gated shut.

https://piersidegrill.com/live-web-cam-on-fort-myers-beach/

Looks like they gave up.  

It's a Givin' Up Booyah!

ITT presents: Math'n'Grammarville   
*All Rights Reserved*  

Except for those to the tune and original lyrics, which are obviously held by Jimmy Buffet or whatever company it is that owns him, LOL.

Livin' on twaddle,

I was happy to dawdle,

Until Mom told me my work must be done.

Now here it is sunset, 

And she won't let me drop it,

I'll be here all night and I never had fun!

Refrain:

Wasting away again in Math‘n’Grammarville
Hoping that there's a whole hour of art
Some people say that there is knowledge to gain
But I know, of it I want no part

It sure isn't pleasin',

All this logic and reason,

Gettin' shoved down my throat with these dusty old books!

When I could be skatin'

Building forts and be playin'

So I'm giving my teacher these disgusted looks! ( Critter)

Refrain:

But you can’t force me to take part!

I've stalled and I've grumbled

Dropped my pencil and fumbled

Lost my place and my temper and spilled all the glue,

But Mom isn't buying,

All these tricks that I'm trying,

And I'll just have it all tomorrow to do. (Critter)

Refrain:

And so I must play the part  (ikslo)

Wasted away again in overplanningville

Lookin for my lost teacher's manual

Some people claim

That it's the Hive that's to blame

But I know (ba ba bum bum bum)

It's my own dang fault. (Spudz)

Wasting away again in Math'n'Grammarville   
Looking for those lost hours of sleep     
Some people say that there's no way it'll work     
And I say, bleeep-ity-bleep-bleep-bleep (ikslo)

(No kittens were harmed in the creation of this song.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

So I forced myself to go out to work on the yard work. I had gone out two weeks ago on my PT’s advice to see how it would go and went back into muscle spasms. Despite only doing one wheelbarrow instead of three. I am doing better again and need to try again especially while I am still receiving physical therapy. 

So I just did one wheelbarrow. At first I felt fine and wondered why I was stopping but now I’m feeling sore from that one wheelbarrow so we’ll see. Hopefully it won’t go into back muscle spasms again. I can deal with some soreness as I slowly build back up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I loved that song, Susan and everyone! I hadn’t seen it before.

I’m panicking about Monday school start. It’s a lot and I’m worried I will fail again. I can’t even focus on how to plan out the day so I don’t die or cut corners. I know it will be ok once we get into a groove. I’m just worried about getting there.

And I’ve spent more than an hour looking at math flashcards on Amazon for Little Man. How do you guys like the triangle ones?

And I discovered a conspiracy- all but 3 of the mechanical pencils were broken. We don’t use wood barrels.

ok- thanks for listening. Time to make the guac for salmon burger dinner.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Triangle flash cards are good. We used some.

Apparently I have to spend the rest of this week doing all the regular things and getting ready for the ILs' visit starting Sunday and also keeping an eye on the weather and being ready for a mess, so that's... exciting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I loved that song, Susan and everyone! I hadn’t seen it before.

Same here! 

50 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I’m panicking about Monday school start. It’s a lot and I’m worried I will fail again. I can’t even focus on how to plan out the day so I don’t die or cut corners. I know it will be ok once we get into a groove. I’m just worried about getting there.

And I’ve spent more than an hour looking at math flashcards on Amazon for Little Man. How do you guys like the triangle ones?

And I discovered a conspiracy- all but 3 of the mechanical pencils were broken. We don’t use wood barrels.

ok- thanks for listening. Time to make the guac for salmon burger dinner.

(((Green Bean))) We've been back at it for I think 3 weeks now and you're absolutely right in that you'll be fine as soon as you're back into a routine. Take a deep breath.

• Like 5

Slache- I think we’re going to try that. My current recipe is not tasty anymore.

Grilling was great. The guac was grainy?? The avocados I used were not ripe despite being in a dark drawer for days then in the fridge.

How’s about a subject checklist with a spot on each for Checked With Mom instead of actual Do This Assignment? I want to make a cute visual chart for Little Man with icons for his subjects. I’m going to have Artist Girl help with that tomorrow, I think. DD needs a project now my surprise birthday party is over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I grew up on lots of music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  Before I was born, my dad was a keyboardist (organist!) in his own band.  We had an organ in our living room and my dad played often (and loudly). 

I don't have any recordings of him, but this guy plays in the same style on the same type of organ.

In later years, my dad became our church organist and played similarly to this:

Needless to say, I didn't grow up Baptist (although that's how I now identify.) :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

I think the kids noticed that I have been particularly tired the past couple days and all made an extra effort this morning to get up early, make breakfast, and get the day started.  I'm about to get my second cup of coffee.

It was so cold out on Chester's morning constitutional - 45 degrees!  Brrrr.  He thought it was awesome.

I've been watching the Florida weather.  Ikslo's area and my SIL/BIL and family in Ft. Myers.  Whew.

Coffee!

• Like 6

I just thought of a fun science experiment for Oldest. I'm considering helping him make 2 DIY deodorants with the only difference being the key ingredient for odor control. We can label them left and right so he doesn't know which one is what for ingredients until the experiment is over and have him wear both daily before sports practice. Record results to see which controls odor the best.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I think the kids noticed that I have been particularly tired the past couple days and all made an extra effort this morning to get up early, make breakfast, and get the day started.  I'm about to get my second cup of coffee.

It was so cold out on Chester's morning constitutional - 45 degrees!  Brrrr.  He thought it was awesome.

I've been watching the Florida weather.  Ikslo's area and my SIL/BIL and family in Ft. Myers.  Whew.

Coffee!

You're only the second person in my lifetime I've heard use this term in this way. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D (has been consumed, now I am drinking my smoothie before I get on my laptop)

Humph Day!!

Girls are at school, I have a busy day at work, DS is working on his school stuff, and Wednesday Night stuff tonight. I am always so glad when Wednesday is over.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Junie said:

I grew up on lots of music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  Before I was born, my dad was a keyboardist (organist!) in his own band.  We had an organ in our living room and my dad played often (and loudly). 

I don't have any recordings of him, but this guy plays in the same style on the same type of organ.

In later years, my dad became our church organist and played similarly to this:

Needless to say, I didn't grow up Baptist (although that's how I now identify.) 🙂

That's actually good dancing music. 🙂

• Like 3

On 9/24/2022 at 1:44 PM, Junie said:

I have no words.

I know. Every time I think about gathering together with his many people, I get a little more nervous. I'm a major introvert/homebody, and I've never planned anything larger than one of my kids' birthday parties. And nearly all 200 of them (around 50 teenagers plus their parents and siblings) will want to have conversations with me, because I'm the mentor of this particular community! 🙃 

This is the first time that most of us will have met in person, so it's going to be amazing, but still pretty overwhelming.

On 9/24/2022 at 2:07 PM, Slache said:

I have an Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Amen! 😂

On 9/24/2022 at 2:43 PM, Slache said:

If I had to plan a cookout for 200 people I would do burgers, hot dogs and bratwurst with a vegan option, probably quinoa salad. My reason is that absolutely everything can be prepared beforehand except the meat. Cut veggies, buns, condiments, chips. You can do salads like green, macaroni or potato, but that means silverware. Drinks would be in can and bottle form in a blow up kiddy pool with ice, so no cups. I would have several dessert options, all individual size so no serving, just out.

I haven't done this, but I tried to organize several church things this way because no one ever wanted to do anything. This would require very little work and more mingling.

Thank you! That's something like what I was thinking (the burgers, hot dogs, and brats), but the salad ideas are awesome, especially if the grocery store near the state park has a deli. I love the idea of the pool for drinks, and no cups is brilliant! I'm thinking grocery store cookies for desserts.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:52 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am super duper proud of myself. Dh, Juliet and I went on a hike. I think that it was about three miles. I survived!  

I've been super impressed with how you keep pushing through your health stuff and keep moving toward your health and fitness goals. I have POTS and Hashimoto's, and sometimes just being upright all day is a struggle. I want to be you when I grow up! 🤗

On 9/26/2022 at 9:11 AM, Ellie said:

HAPPY MONDAY!

also

ONLY THREE MONTHS UNTIL CHRISTMAS.

that is all.

Where's the fainting emoji?

On 9/26/2022 at 12:11 PM, Slache said:

It's been 782 days since Isaac was born and today, September 26, 2022, I left the house without another adult for the first time. It was less than 6 months ago I was able to get back up the steps without help. I didn't know if today would ever come. I walked .8 miles. I'm going to try again next week.

Ditto to everything I said to Jean! 🤗

On 9/26/2022 at 12:19 PM, Susan in TN said:

Well that was a thing.  I took a bite of leftover rice and immediately had an esophageal spasm which I've had before, but this one was so bad that it nearly knocked me over and wouldn't stop until I'd thrown up the rice.  Bah.  Happy Monday.

So sorry! My husband gets those, and he's had the throwing up thing happen a few times. It sounds so painful!

On 9/26/2022 at 2:12 PM, Slache said:

Matt's dad just died.

I'm so sorry. 😔 Prayers for all of you.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:08 AM, Dianthus said:

I may be the minority, but I like when the nights get longer and it's dark in the morning.  I enjoy all the changes in seasons.

Yes to all of this! 

19 hours ago, Green Bean said:

I felt this way every single year until my kids started dual enrollment. Having some of it out of my hands has finally helped me to breathe and know that it's all going to be ok. You're still trying every day to give them the education they need, and that's really all you can do.

How's it going so far?

15 hours ago, Slache said:

I think I'm going to do a food challenge. You make a list of everything that's in your pantry, then build recipes around that until everything is gone. I want everything to be gone.

Yes, this. I'm trying to get better at this kind of meal planning, mostly for the budget's sake.

4 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

I went to bed at 10:00 last night -- 3 hours early!

I woke up at 3:30 and never got back to sleep.  At least my headache is gone. 🙂

I think you and I have very similar sleep schedules. When I really stop to think about it, I'm not sure how I function most of the time! 🤗

Edited by caayenne
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Slache said:

@caayenne If it's an option, Costco/Sam's for dessert. More variety, still convenient. Would be much more expensive. Like $200 more, I would think.

That's a good thought, and it might be possible. It will likely depend on whether anyone from our group who lives closer to the Nashville area has a membership to either.

We've got people driving in from all over the country (and a couple flying in from overseas, if you can believe it), and we're all meeting for three days at a state park near Nashville. It's like a huge family reunion, except almost none of us have actually met before!

The plan (and it isn't much of an organized plan, yet) is to have all the families share the food costs and have a few parents take turns making big grocery runs for the whole group. (Breakfasts will be fend for yourself.) We will probably do sandwiches/chips/cookies en masse for lunches, and only cook out for dinners. But there will be three dinners, unless we decide to pick up pizzas for one of them.

Right now, I'm thinking burgers for one meal, and hot dogs/brats for another, but I'm not sure what to do for the third. I'm thinking maybe something like tacos/burritos? I read that you can bake potatoes over the grill, but I'm not sure that would work for such a large group.

We have some people staying in cabins/AirBNBs, so we might be able to pull off something with a bunch of crockpots! 😅

It's a good thing I have eight months to plan this thing! 

Edited by caayenne
  • Like 3

I’m printing Guided Notes for kids. It’s a lot of paper but not as much as Time4Learning. That was insane!

We are currently doing the Eat What’s in the House challenge, too. I’ve had to replace milk and OJ for the past two weeks, but nothing else. It’s nice to see a full larder and see it dwindle, too.

Youth Night activity tonight is outside. DD will be bathing in bug repellent! Mosquitoes love her blood too much.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, caayenne said:

I know. Every time I think about gathering together with his many people, I get a little more nervous. I'm a major introvert/homebody, and I've never planned anything larger than one of my kids' birthday parties. And nearly all 200 of them (around 50 teenagers plus their parents and siblings) will want to have conversations with me, because I'm the mentor of this particular community! 🙃 

This is the first time that most of us will have met in person, so it's going to be amazing, but still pretty overwhelming.

Amen! 😂

Thank you! That's something like what I was thinking (the burgers, hot dogs, and brats), but the salad ideas are awesome, especially if the grocery store near the state park has a deli. I love the idea of the pool for drinks, and no cups is brilliant! I'm thinking grocery store cookies for desserts.

I've been super impressed with how you keep pushing through your health stuff and keep moving toward your health and fitness goals. I have POTS and Hashimoto's, and sometimes just being upright all day is a struggle. I want to be you when I grow up! 🤗

Where's the fainting emoji?

Ditto to everything I said to Jean! 🤗

So sorry! My husband gets those, and he's had the throwing up thing happen a few times. It sounds so painful!

I'm so sorry. 😔 Prayers for all of you.

Yes to all of this! 

I felt this way every single year until my kids started dual enrollment. Having some of it out of my hands has finally helped me to breathe and know that it's all going to be ok. You're still trying every day to give them the education they need, and that's really all you can do.

How's it going so far?

Yes, this. I'm trying to get better at this kind of meal planning, mostly for the budget's sake.

I think you and I have very similar sleep schedules. When I really stop to think about it, I'm not sure how I function most of the time! 🤗

Are you sure you aren't Renai in disguise? I think you just won the multi quote of the day award!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2