Menu

Ignore this thread!

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

Also, you will see on the HS board that many of them homeschool 10-12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. That could be the difference.

How does one prep for Ivy league, anyway? I have a cousin who went to Yale by going to the right high school and knowing the right people and being a genius. My kids do none of those things. Not that I want them across the country or anything.

Yeah- mine sleep 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Thanks, guys, for the reality check. I will just keep on teaching the kids in front of me and not the ones I wish I had. It’s hard not to compare, though.

It is. Very hard. And I’ve had to give up a lot of dreams along the way because …. of a lot of different things. My ideal is still classical, but our reality is that we just kind of fumble our way along. It’s been good, though. I love homeschooling and I wouldn’t have traded it for the world,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I graduated my 16 year old and he's going to community college (and doing very well) and our homeschool looks/looked nothing like what is seen on the high school board.   🤷‍♀️

My kids would have been miserable and probably adamantly rebelled if I attempted anything near what I see people do there.   My kids find time for their interests - art, programming, gaming, writing fan fiction - very important for their mental health. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

My kids find time for their interests - art, programming, gaming, writing fan fiction - very important for their mental health. 

In the end, that's what's made my kids so impressive anyway. I've tried to teach them well, but the things that really stand out are the things they've done themselves, and those would not have happened if I had worked them to the bone.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Slache said:

Highlight the next line. I put it in white because I gave away the ending.

Don't Look Up.

Okay, I saw that one.    It didn't bother me too much since it was satire.   

My son loves puns and corny jokes and loved reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Until the end.   That alone, even though it was satire/irony/whatever and not remotely serious, basically killed the whole thing for him.  

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

Homeschooling has been a very good fit for our family, but high school has been rough.  I'm getting ready to graduate my third and none of them have gotten the education I wanted them to have.  But, it's okay.  Ds21 is graduating from college in May, dd19 is in college doing well, and dd17 got excepted to her first (only) choice school.  None of their colleges are anywhere close to Ivy League and we are perfectly okay with that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

Homeschooling has been a very good fit for our family, but high school has been rough.  I'm getting ready to graduate my third and none of them have gotten the education I wanted them to have.  But, it's okay.  Ds21 is graduating from college in May, dd19 is in college doing well, and dd17 got excepted to her first (only) choice school.  None of their colleges are anywhere close to Ivy League and we are perfectly okay with that.

I shared this conversation with my husband last night and said our kids aren't allowed to go to Ivy league anyway. :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

accepted 😉

Sigh.  I'm not awake yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

If you were a wallet belonging to a 17yob, where would you be hiding?

Under a sock, under the bed.

10 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Yeah- mine sleep 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week.

Same!

10 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Thanks, guys, for the reality check. I will just keep on teaching the kids in front of me and not the ones I wish I had. It’s hard not to compare, though.

Even the ones that look super intense acknowledge that all kids aren't going in that direction. I remember when my oldest suffered over a year in chemistry, finished only half the book, and I asked if I could just call it a day and move on to kitchen chemistry. I was encouraged to give the poor child credit for what she had done and gave me all kinds of resources for kitchen chemistry. I had no idea it was a thing in college. A lot of people have nontraditional transcripts, or at least nontraditional classes (that can sometimes fit in traditional boxes).

My oldest was not the studious type (neither is my youngest for that matter), and was ready to be done by 11th grade. It's one of the main reasons I put her in dual enrollment, with the goal of graduating high school with at least a one year certificate. Although she did well in the classes she took, when I say she was done, she really was done. She has one class left to finish, but I know she has the skills to complete what she decides she wants to do. And now, our state now passed that students can attend college free, so she has another opportunity to finish.

• Like 4

I homeschooled because I didn't want to mimic the public school pressure and rat race, especially in the "best districts".  I wish that I had been brave enough to do more of an interest led curriculum like Llwema (spelling is probably wrong but I don't want to navigate away from this post to look up the correct spelling).  So I did half interest led and half "traditional transcript". 

• Like 6

I’m going to make a file of all y’all’s comments.

I have “graduated” one. Like Toto’s son, he started community college at 16. He has said he appreciates that even though he was advanced, I never pushed, but allowed him the space and time to become a “whole” person and explore his interests. He’s 23 now.

The younger ones are not that way at all. I feel like I’m dragging them along more.

• Like 5

So. . . .   now that my oldest baby is turning 25, I'm finally getting rid of some boxes of baby clothes.  But the very first clothes I lifted out of the first box were sewn by my mom.  I just couldn't get rid of those.  (And now I kind of want to cry because I miss her.)  But I did get rid of 3/4 of the clothes in the box.  Blessing someone else's baby. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So. . . .   now that my oldest baby is turning 25, I'm finally getting rid of some boxes of baby clothes.  But the very first clothes I lifted out of the first box were sewn by my mom.  I just couldn't get rid of those.  (And now I kind of want to cry because I miss her.)  But I did get rid of 3/4 of the clothes in the box.  Blessing someone else's baby. 

You could have them made into a wall hanging you can enjoy. We are having ours made into quilts for grandbabies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'd keep them, too!  Way back in the 70's my mom was given a hand-made baby carrier with embroidery on it when my brother was born. My mom gave it to me when my oldest was born and I still have it packed away somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Next month will be the 40th anniversary of when I withdrew my older dd from her private Christian school. My inspiration was John Holt, and because of that, my goal was never college. It was to help my children learn as much as they could learn so as not to miss their genius.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

The  concert went well last night.  There was a dog barking late into the night - I went to the kitchen to see if it was barking at our chicken and discovered that Sir Pups-a-lot had gotten into the trash.  So got that cleaned up.  I could use some second sleep.  I think I hear someone sleeping in the living room.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Morning, Happy Friday!!!   

Another long week but Spring is on its way so things are going to be looking up right?!

Except they are predicting a big winter storm next week.  I'm taking comfort in the fact that they really don't know what's going to happen this far ahead so they could be completely wrong.  

Just one class today. 

• Like 4

I have a question regarding online classes. As homeschooling allows, we take vacations during the school year. How are online classes handled in this case? Can we watch later, or are we expected to just stop mid-hike and pull the computer out? Because that is not going to happen in most cases. I'm specifically looking at WTMA and Lukeion, so these are full year or semester classes, not just small things I can schedule around.

• Like 2

I'm trying to come up with a thin, strong panel that we can shove under the dishwasher to help us pull it out.  We have a dolly but I don't think the lip part is long enough.  We might have to use one of the black music stands.  

Stay tuned for more Adventures in Entropy Manor 2:

Dishwasher Error 15 - Watertap! Watertap! Watertap!

• Like 3

Morning! I slept in because I stayed up too early binge watching Psych again. I’m on season 8 now.

DD made cinnamon rolls using Rhodes dough. We are all drooling now.

Going to be 82 today. I knew I should have taken 5yr old to the park yesterday. I hate summer.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Slache said:

I want cinnamon rolls!

Ds26 made Pillsbury cinnamon rolls this morning for breakfast.  I did not have one - just eggs.  And coffee.  

We went to the consignment sale and bought a few things (it's 50% off day!) and now I am playing appointment phone tag with my financial advisor.  The girls have a make-up music lesson this afternoon.

I was planning to make Slachey's Seafood Salad for dinner but as it turns out, we don't have any seafood.  Probably we'll have IP Linguini Chicken Alfredo instead.

Speaking of coffee, I need more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1