Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ok, so, I know this is a small sampling, but I know and trust you guys.  However, this is a tall order….

You guys know I work for a public homeschool charter. When we started out, our families were like… well, the families on this message board. I was reading The Well-Trained Mind when my boys were 2 and 3 years old.🤣 Now we are getting Covid refugees and people for one reason or another don’t really want to homeschool,  but they feel like they have no choice. These people don’t know curriculum, they don’t love the feel of a new Sonlight catalog between their fingers, they don’t and they don’t want to spend hours researching. No judgement here at all. This is just the reality.

Also, the way our charter is written, parents have freedom of choice regarding curriculum. They get a certain amount of funding a year with which to buy curriculum. It has to be secular, though.  Some families come in and know exactly what they want and it’s no problem, but others don’t even know where to start. I am trying to out together “boxes” for those families, just to get them started.

So…. here’s my question…. I need recs for open-and-go, minimal moving pieces and very easy to use phonics/reading curriculum. And it has to be secular. I have Explode the Code on my list. Anything else??  For math I have Singapore for the primary grades. I have several students on that and it has been very effective.

Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, Servant4Christ said:

Slachie, whoops! I meant Alex because of course Isaac is 1! He and my youngest are pretty close in age along with Baby Dancer.

of R&S textbooks here. Lol

Speaking of Baby Dancer, I had her enrolled in my online bilingual Zumbini class to make sure I see her at least once a week. 😅

On 3/10/2022 at 10:47 AM, Susan in TN said:

Speaking of math, ahem...

What are y'all making for Pi(e) Day?  

Then we need cupcakes & rootbeer (and something NOT rootbeer for Angi) for the ITT birthday party (Tuesday).

Chocolates and ice cream for Lynn's birthday (Wednesday)

Irish stuff for Thursday

Gymnast recently learned how to make Patti LaBelle's sweet potato pie, so she has been commissioned to make it for Pi Day. 😄 

16 hours ago, KrissiK said:

You know what I hate? When you get down to the bottom of the chip bag and all there’s left is crumbs. Crumbs are useless. They can’t carry salsa. But there are too many of them to justify throwing the bag away.

4 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I'll take the crumbs and mix them in a bowl of salsa and eat it with a spoon.  

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

We used Explode the Code and All About Reading.   I don't think I'd call All About Reading "open and go" though.  IIRC it had a lot of pieces to laminate and cut out. 

We did do quite a few Evan Moor books when it was something that the kids picked up on pretty easily but I wanted to make sure we hit the highlights.   Skill Sharpeners Spell & Write was one that worked really well for language arts.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

So…. here’s my question…. I need recs for open-and-go, minimal moving pieces and very easy to use phonics/reading curriculum. And it has to be secular. I have Explode the Code on my list. Anything else??

Our charter suggests AAR. The teacher's manual and the cards the school reuses, the letter tiles and the student activity book they treat as consumables. I'm not sure what would need to be laminated, nothing is laminated, nor have I laminated anything using that curriculum. 

Based on the things they offered me in the beginning, I'd say choose curriculum where if they just flip to the next page and do it consistently, they'll get somewhere. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

We used Explode the Code and All About Reading.   I don't think I'd call All About Reading "open and go" though.  IIRC it had a lot of pieces to laminate and cut out. 

We did do quite a few Evan Moor books when it was something that the kids picked up on pretty easily but I wanted to make sure we hit the highlights.   Skill Sharpeners Spell & Write was one that worked really well for language arts.  

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

Our charter suggests AAR. The teacher's manual and the cards the school reuses, the letter tiles and the student activity book they treat as consumables. I'm not sure what would need to be laminated, nothing is laminated, nor have I laminated anything using that curriculum. 

Based on the things they offered me in the beginning, I'd say choose curriculum where if they just flip to the next page and do it consistently, they'll get somewhere. 

Other than cutting out a page or two every few lessons, AAR is pretty open-and-go. It takes two minutes to cut out an activity and stick it in a ziplock bag (sometimes I'm cutting while Gymnast is reading an activity page 😅). I don't laminate anything. 🤷🏾‍♀️ The manual tells you what to do, and you go to the next page. Up front prep is more cutting of the word cards, if those are used (we don't, because I have AAS full program, and Gymnast is older). There are alphabet tiles, but one can also use the app. My daughter prefers the physical tiles.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KrissiK said:

So…. here’s my question…. I need recs for open-and-go, minimal moving pieces and very easy to use phonics/reading curriculum. And it has to be secular. I have Explode the Code on my list. Anything else?? 

Spalding. You'll need the fourth edition of the manual (OOP, but you still find it) and a set of phonogram cards and that's all. You need to study the manual before you start teaching, but once you begin, you just start each day where you left off.

• Like 3

EDPO: Avert ye eyes!

I'm planning the last summer term of homeschool. So far, we have continue Trigonometry, some format writing practice, some Latin translation (I'm thinking of doing something interesting for translation), and an intensive study of a topic in science or history with the goal of completing a paper in each by August. I've asked the boys to choose their topics because that will be more entertaining and interesting. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. My least favorite time of the year has arrived. I expect to be in a mess over it until fall. It's the way I'm made, I guess. My internal clock refuses to reset.

I think you should win the lottery and buy a house in south America or Australia, and just switch back and forth every 6 months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. My least favorite time of the year has arrived. I expect to be in a mess over it until fall. It's the way I'm made, I guess. My internal clock refuses to reset.

Just now, Slache said:

I think you should win the lottery and buy a house in south America or Australia, and just switch back and forth every 6 months.

Is it Daylight Savings Time that bothers you, too, Critter?? If you don’t want to move to Australia, I think Arizona doesn’t do DLS. Although they do get the heat.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Is it Daylight Savings Time that bothers you, too, Critter?? If you don’t want to move to Australia, I think Arizona doesn’t do DLS. Although they do get the heat.

It's summer. So she should go to not summer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ellie said:

So, today, at the end of the event for which I cooked All The Things, I tripped and fell. Sprained my left thumb, scraped up my right knee, whacked my cheekbone. Expecting bruises tomorrow.

Always go out with a bang? (((Ellie)))

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

New Zealand, South America, Australia - all those places have daylight savings time. Some of the dates are different though, which would be really great to screw someone over. Arizona and China do not do daylight savings.

And to make it more confusing, some in South America do it, some do not. And New Zealand goes backward, not forward (seasons are opposite ours), creating a bigger gap in time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Renai said:

And to make it more confusing, some in South America do it, some do not. And New Zealand goes backward, not forward (seasons are opposite ours), creating a bigger gap in time.

Opposite seasons is what we're going for.

16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

They could live in the woods like in “Hunt for the Wilderpeople”!

I was thinking a cottage on a field with a stream and a rock wall to keep other people's sheep out. I see lots of painting opportunities. Possibly a hill she can walk up and see the sunset over the beach and they can ocean kayak.

• Like 4

Hi! Dh and I went out with friends last night. I managed to knock 1/4 glass of strawberry lemonade into my lap. 😆 It’s the second time I’ve done that with these friends.

I missed church today staying with a sick 5 yr old. We baked a pumpkin pie instead for pi day, but it will likely get eaten tonight. It smells so good.

I’ve also done 4 loads of laundry. I’m delegating cleaning the kitchen. Still need to plan school this week. I looked at houses in the UK for a bit and found 2 that could work IF we go. We are praying especially for that today. 

My house is so quiet now with people taking naps or watching a movie in the TV room. Dh went to go sing in the church choir otherwise he would be napping or more likely playing Civilizations on his PC.

Slache- did you get your car back yet?

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Slache- did you get your car back yet?

Nope. They're now saying it needs parts that will take months, and that car is our only source of income, so we've been talking options. It's an ugly situation.

It's a reputable body shop, it's a supply chain issue, and no other shop would be better.

• Sad 6

On 3/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, Slache said:

I think I have SWR and will mail it to you if you want. I never got to it. I got really sick for a long time and did Reading Lessons Through Literature because it was easier. I only have the brown book and the red book, but I've been trying to give them away so I might not anymore. Let me know if you want me to check the closet of doom Jr.

If you find them, please let me know.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

I just got a text from the director of the kids' tutorial.  I was afraid it would be to schedule a parent meeting due to ds17 having some conflicts with a teacher.  But instead she mentioned how much she ENJOYS having ds17 in her English class and said someone has anonymously donated a Very Large tuition scholarship for our family for next year.  So now Many Tears.  Shoot.  I thought I'd make it through the whole day without sobbing, lol.  Happy, grateful tears.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's driving me crazy all these people saying Daylight Savings gets us "more hours of daylight".  No, it's the exact same number of hours of daylight, just switched to a different time.   We had 10 hours before from 6 am to 4pm, now we have 10 hours from 7am to 5pm.  It's still 10 hours (for example).   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's almost 11pm and I'm still up.  I stayed up to watch Justice League.  The newer 4 hour long version.  I don't usually watch DC movies and when we watched the original Justice League, a lot didn't make sense.  The version explains a lot more and it makes sense.   It was pretty good.  Not as good as Marvel movies, but watchable. 

• Like 4