Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

Apparently there was a tornado across the bay over night.  We didn't even know there was a storm going on.  

We are packing up to go home.  Hopefully we'll get there by dinner time.

Coffee!

Oh Joy!  A Road Trip Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends

Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps

But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in

That what seems a little nuts might actually save me

From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Field trip today to San Antonio. Lunch at the Guenther House, and I might try getting from there back to the Alamo and the Riverwalk. We'll see. That part of SA is a maze.

I was there Sunday! The long barracks just opened for the first time since we moved here. The kids were thrilled. I still don't get why there are koi there.

• Like 4

Good Morning, Happy Wednesday.  It's hard for me to get on in the mornings these days.  We are leaving the house early because of the workers coming.  Today the kids got to stay home since we have snow and the job for today involved mixing cement.   Rest of the work is on hold until doors that were ordered a month ago come in.

I'm on a break.  I teach a 10am class then have a break until my 1pm class on Wednesdays.  

• Like 6

I am trying to decide on curriculum for the youngers. Not the whole thing, but how I want homeschool to look when we get there and what curriculum choices will get us there. Which subjects will be combined vs individual and can having 3 children in different parts of the Bible simultaneously be avoided? Yeah.... that kinda stuff.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I am trying to decide on curriculum for the youngers. Not the whole thing, but how I want homeschool to look when we get there and what curriculum choices will get us there. Which subjects will be combined vs individual and can having 3 children in different parts of the Bible simultaneously be avoided? Yeah.... that kinda stuff.

Mine are 11, 9, 5 and 1. All skill subjects are separate. I use the same curriculum at different levels when I can (IEW) and different curriculum when I can't (Saxon for 11yo, Beast for 9yo). IEW and Beast are online, the rest is on paper. I plan to do high school math online. All content subjects are mostly together. So Bible, History and Science. Here is what I do...

Bible. As adults we have a background in Bible and can make the deeper connections with additional scripture and history, they can't. So we read the Bible together in the evening and a book about the Bible over breakfast. For actual Bible we did storybooks when they were little, now it's KJV one chapter a day. We've read (attempting order by age) My ABC Bible Verses, The ABCs of Church History, Leading Little Ones to God, Who is God?, The Ology, Training Hearts; Teaching Minds, and Trial and Triumph. They also start One Year Bible in 3rd before they get out of bed.

History. I read at lunch and assign individual work and additional readings based on age. I've been teaching to the oldest but that will change. I want him doing richer, deeper studies, but the little ones will not enjoy that, so I'll be teaching to the second oldest and assigning independent work to oldest. Next year we are doing Notgrass Our 50 States and he will do Uncle Sam and You. My plan for him is Uncle Sam, SWB's HOTW, and Government and Economics to be determined. This leaves out high school cultural geography which I plan to read out loud over 2 years. Almost all of my history plans are half paced to only give oldest a normal level of work.

Science. Reread everything I said about History, but replace it with Sciency things.

Curriculum. For Bible I listed the books, but the storybooks were Jesus Storybook Bible, Eigermeyer's, and Explorer's Bible Study. In studying the KJV we've done John McArthur NT studies and are now doing "The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study". History has been homemade, SOTW and Notgrass. For Science we are finishing up Apologia next year and transitioning to Barean Builders.

• Like 5

My Bible reading list by grade. I haven't read all of them yet. The commentaries are to go along with the One Year Bible, but is broken into 2 years because it's a lot. This is supposed to be an example of teaching everyone the same thing (like using Bible Study Guide For All Ages) but enriching oldest, in a way I can actually handle.

Screenshot_20220309-131240~2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Slache said:

Junie, can you please tell me again how you used Writing With Skill? I'm kinda thinking about it. Kinda. Ish.

We gave up on it...

English Ed degree notwithstanding, I honestly have done a terrible job teaching my kids how to write.  😞  We are doing some major catch-up work right now with dd17 before she graduates in June.

My kids for the most part do not enjoy writing and (mostly due to migraines) I have been way to lenient and permissive in letting things slide.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Slachie, do you prefer BB over Apologia or just need something because you're finishing up Apologia? I'm seriously considering one or the other for the youngers but like them both for different reasons. I'm not as concerned about history and science. I'm thinking of reading/ phonics in particular. R&S BNRS is what I thought I was going to use, but now I'm unsure because that would mean they would be in different parts of the Bible simultaneously plus having to modify penmanship. I hate ball and stick. I'm looking at SWR with Cursive First or maybe OPGTR. I know, I've looked at them before and here I go again, but..... Yeah. Spinning my wheels again. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

We gave up on it...

English Ed degree notwithstanding, I honestly have done a terrible job teaching my kids how to write.  😞  We are doing some major catch-up work right now with dd17 before she graduates in June.

My kids for the most part do not enjoy writing and (mostly due to migraines) I have been way to lenient and permissive in letting things slide.

John is a natural writer and on year 4 of IEW. I'm looking to spice things up. I am heavily considering Cover Story and now looking at WWS. What have you liked? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Slachie, do you prefer BB over Apologia or just need something because you're finishing up Apologia? I'm seriously considering one or the other for the youngers but like them both for different reasons. I'm not as concerned about history and science. I'm thinking of reading/ phonics in particular. R&S BNRS is what I thought I was going to use, but now I'm unsure because that would mean they would be in different parts of the Bible simultaneously plus having to modify penmanship. I hate ball and stick. I'm looking at SWR with Cursive First or maybe OPGTR. I know, I've looked at them before and here I go again, but..... Yeah. Spinning my wheels again. 

Just because we're finishing up, but I'm excited about it. I think I have SWR and will mail it to you if you want. I never got to it. I got really sick for a long time and did Reading Lessons Through Literature because it was easier. I only have the brown book and the red book, but I've been trying to give them away so I might not anymore. Let me know if you want me to check the closet of doom Jr.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Junie said:

We gave up on it...

And why did you give up?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

John is a natural writer and on year 4 of IEW. I'm looking to spice things up. I am heavily considering Cover Story and now looking at WWS. What have you liked? 

So what we are using that I like:

Apologia American Literature -- I wish that they had continued the series

Skills for Literary Analysis

Skills for Rhetoric

Each of these also has a notebook/student book.  The Apologia notebook is especially helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Junie said:

So what we are using that I like:

Apologia American Literature -- I wish that they had continued the series

Skills for Literary Analysis

Skills for Rhetoric

Each of these also has a notebook/student book.  The Apologia notebook is especially helpful.

https://www.christianbook.com/world-literature-12th-grade-2-volumes/9780890517765/pd/517761?event=CPOF

https://www.christianbook.com/british-literature-12th-grade-2-volumes/9780890517772/pd/517771?event=CPOF

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Slache said:

Just because we're finishing up, but I'm excited about it. I think I have SWR and will mail it to you if you want. I never got to it. I got really sick for a long time and did Reading Lessons Through Literature because it was easier. I only have the brown book and the red book, but I've been trying to give them away so I might not anymore. Let me know if you want me to check the closet of doom Jr.

I don't know enough to know what the brown and red books are, but I just ran off to look up RLTL and it looks nice! Have I looked at this before and somehow forgotten it? They have a handwriting program, too! I need to do some researching because I'm liking what I see so far. You said this is easier than SWR? I wonder why? Hmmm, well thankyou for pointing me in a direction that looks promising!

• Like 2

Well, dang it Junie. Now you have me thinking again. I hate that.

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't know enough to know what the brown and red books are, but I just ran off to look up RLTL and it looks nice! Have I looked at this before and somehow forgotten it? They have a handwriting program, too! I need to do some researching because I'm liking what I see so far. You said this is easier than SWR? I wonder why? Hmmm, well thankyou for pointing me in a direction that looks promising!

Brown and red are the main books.

RLTL was really in for about 5 minutes, then POOF. No one uses it anymore. I have RLTL, E(nglish)LTL and HLTL, but I don't care for ELTL. I actually don't like any of her other products. I think RLTL is open and go and simpler to implement, not easier on the kid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't explicitly teach my kids to write.  We did a Charlotte Mason style "expose them to good writing" approach with writing opportunities given in content areas.  One child wrote long complicated reports on their own with no prompting.  The other child fought me if they had to write one sentence for something.  Surprisingly, both write well now that they are college aged. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yeah, I looked at those and didn't like them at all.

The Apologia American Literature uses (mostly) whole novels -- not just excerpts.

• Like 2

Just now, Junie said:

Yeah, I looked at those and didn't like them at all.

The Apologia American Literature uses (mostly) whole novels -- not just excerpts.

Master books says the same about these. Have you seen them yourself? Also, have you looked at Old Western Culture? That's where I'm leaning.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

Master books says the same about these. Have you seen them yourself? 

I read the Table of Contents.  There were no whole novels covered.

There is a reading list at the end for supplemental reading, but no assignments are provided for those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Slache said:

Well, dang it Junie. Now you have me thinking again. I hate that.

Brown and red are the main books.

RLTL was really in for about 5 minutes, then POOF. No one uses it anymore. I have RLTL, E(nglish)LTL and HLTL, but I don't care for ELTL. I actually don't like any of her other products. I think RLTL is open and go and simpler to implement, not easier on the kid.

Thanks. I went looking and don't think ELTL or HLTL are a good fit here, either. I'll look at both SWR and RLTL more in depth later tonight. R&S wouldn't be a bad fit here, but Bible together instead of separate is appealing.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you using RLTL for Isaac? You're still using OPGTR, right?

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks. I went looking and don't think ELTL or HLTL are a good fit here, either. I'll look at both SWR and RLTL more in depth later tonight. R&S wouldn't be a bad fit here, but Bible together instead of separate is appealing.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you using RLTL for Isaac? You're still using OPGTR, right?

Isaac is 1. :laugh:

Alex is very non academic but wants to read. I started him on Hooked on Phonics so he could read and will do RLTL in 1st grade. It's no as efficient this way, but better for him. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Slache said:

Mine are 11, 9, 5 and 1. All skill subjects are separate. I use the same curriculum at different levels when I can (IEW) and different curriculum when I can't (Saxon for 11yo, Beast for 9yo). IEW and Beast are online, the rest is on paper. I plan to do high school math online. All content subjects are mostly together. So Bible, History and Science. Here is what I do...

Bible. As adults we have a background in Bible and can make the deeper connections with additional scripture and history, they can't. So we read the Bible together in the evening and a book about the Bible over breakfast. For actual Bible we did storybooks when they were little, now it's KJV one chapter a day. We've read (attempting order by age) My ABC Bible Verses, The ABCs of Church History, Leading Little Ones to God, Who is God?, The Ology, Training Hearts; Teaching Minds, and Trial and Triumph. They also start One Year Bible in 3rd before they get out of bed.

History. I read at lunch and assign individual work and additional readings based on age. I've been teaching to the oldest but that will change. I want him doing richer, deeper studies, but the little ones will not enjoy that, so I'll be teaching to the second oldest and assigning independent work to oldest. Next year we are doing Notgrass Our 50 States and he will do Uncle Sam and You. My plan for him is Uncle Sam, SWB's HOTW, and Government and Economics to be determined. This leaves out high school cultural geography which I plan to read out loud over 2 years. Almost all of my history plans are half paced to only give oldest a normal level of work.

Science. Reread everything I said about History, but replace it with Sciency things.

Curriculum. For Bible I listed the books, but the storybooks were Jesus Storybook Bible, Eigermeyer's, and Explorer's Bible Study. In studying the KJV we've done John McArthur NT studies and are now doing "The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study". History has been homemade, SOTW and Notgrass. For Science we are finishing up Apologia next year and transitioning to Barean Builders.

This is helpful for me. I'm so lacking I'm Bible studies with the kids. It's always start and stop and never consistent.

Does anyone have a "clean" reading list for kid's reading?  I don't have time to screen books for dd12. She's constantly reading.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Have you looked at McRuffy? They have handwriting books in 3 different styles (Traditional, D'Nealian, Cursive) starting in Kindergarten, then eventually transitioning to cursive only around 3rd, I think. It is an all-in-one, but the younger years are mainly phonics and spelling. No long-term experience here, but I did use most of K for 3 of mine years ago. It does have a lot of paper bits, but I just left them in the package.

https://mcruffy.com/

I will with hold my not complimentary opinion on OPGTR.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spirea said:

This is helpful for me. I'm so lacking I'm Bible studies with the kids. It's always start and stop and never consistent.

Does anyone have a "clean" reading list for kid's reading?  I don't have time to screen books for dd12. She's constantly reading.

Have you looked at The Good and the Beautiful Book List. Talk about squeaky!

https://goodandbeautifulbooklist.com/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I don't, but I will say that I've given up on clean books for my 11 year old. He reads mostly classics and occasionally new books. I screen them through Christian reviews, but some of them have an occasional bout of blasphemy or "low level" swear word like d*mn. I do avoid sexual content and other graphic concepts because while words are not allowed, they've been heard, but new concepts introduced I think is not good for little brains.

• Like 2

For writing we have been going through the Writing & Rhetoric program during "story time" for the past few years.  We started when my youngest was in 3rd and dd19 was in 9th (she graduated before we finished).  We do one book per semester and will finish the whole shebang next year.  We don't do every lesson and a lot of the exercises we do out loud / all together, or I assign each kid one or two of the exercises and then we review them all together.  They also do writing in their high school literature classes at the tutorial, but I am happy with the foundation this program is giving them, and it is do-able from my perspective.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't, but I will say that I've given up on clean books for my 11 year old. He reads mostly classics and occasionally new books. I screen them through Christian reviews, but some of them have an occasional bout of blasphemy or "low level" swear word like d*mn. I do avoid sexual content and other graphic concepts because while words are not allowed, they've been heard, but new concepts introduced I think is not good for little brains.

Yes, that level is ok but I don't want sexual content. Even just the silly overthinking boys in girl books is annoying to me. I don't want her to be programmed into thinking that way. Just interact normally, not every interaction is suggestive of romance. She has read all the age appropriate classics. I have always avoided twaddle. But, right now she's reading the Mandie collection, the type of stuff I've avoided, because she has run out. She's also slowly going through Moby Dick right now.  I'm also getting SotW lit suggestions which she has enjoyed so far.

I have no time to read. I rotate a small stack of library books on my bedroom dresser,  I always return before I have time to read. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Below are some filler time options for my 5 yr old while we wait for him to be ready to read for reals. I need something, or we will do nothing.

Wait for TGTB Kinder Prep to release in April and see if we like it

McRuffy Preschool Lang Arts

He hates R&S ABC books otherwise I would grab a couple and call it good. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Below are some filler time options for my 5 yr old while we wait for him to be ready to read for reals. I need something, or we will do nothing.

Wait for TGTB Kinder Prep to release in April and see if we like it

McRuffy Preschool Lang Arts

He hates R&S ABC books otherwise I would grab a couple and call it good. 

MEP primary

Education Unboxed

Leapfrog or ABC Mouse or Starfall

Signing Time or Salsa

Developing The Early Learner or Lollypop Logic

Doodle Books

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Slache said:

MEP primary

Education Unboxed

Leapfrog or ABC Mouse or Starfall

Signing Time or Salsa

Developing The Early Learner or Lollypop Logic

Doodle Books

He is happily plugging away at Singapore Essentials Math K, but I will peek at the others. Thank you, Slache.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

He is happily plugging away at Singapore Essentials Math K, but I will peek at the others. Thank you, Slache.

All of my subsequent children wanted to "do school" before they were ready. My list is basically what we did.

• Like 2