Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

Everything is shut down today.  According to the weather app, we have gotten 20 inches of snow/precipitation in the past 6 hours.  I can still see grass poking up through the snow in spots, which means we have had a whole lotta slush falling.  It looks a couple inches deep in the street out front.  Right now I think it's sleet. Kinda goes back and forth.

I attempted to make waffles for breakfast.  They weren't as good or pretty as dh's, but edible with plenty of butter and syrup.

I got the turkey broth started and now I'm sifting the birdseed to get out the really big chunks that clog the birdfeeder.  We'll just throw those out on the deck for the bluejays and squirrels.  

Coffee!

• Like 7

In too much pain to go to church  this morning. 

I have been pushing myself during the day with fasting and exercise. And do ok during the day. But at night my nerves and muscles are firing overtime. I had this happen before when I increased my walking distance. It lasted a month or so before my stupid body adjusted to the new amount. That’s what I am hoping will happen again. 

• Sad 6

12 hours ago, Slache said:

I hate Cincinnati. And I hate where Servie lives. She should move to Texas. Servie, we went swimming in December because it was 85°. Think about it.

It was pretty cool on satellite.

Easier to layer on more clothes. You can only take off so much when it gets that hot without feeling indecent.

We have snow sledding and hot chocolate and I can hide all my extra weight under soft fluffy clothing and not look out of place. Win, win.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

We did not have 20 inches. Three, we think.

I'm not sure where they are getting 20", but if all the sleet/rain/falling slush was actual snow it might add up to 20.  Now 21.  7" more expected today.  It's 34 degrees out and I don't think the temp is supposed to fall until the moisture rolls on out of here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did you know you can start lettuce in January in Florida? I planted seeds yesterday.  

My pepper plants from seeds from a neighbor’s Cuban peppers are also coming up.  I’ll bring those inside as needed (like early this morning when we had tornado warnings), but right now they are super happy outside.

I planted some other seeds but I don’t remember what they were at the moment. Random seeds I had leftover from my failed Covid garden. I’m still trying to get the hang of vegetable gardening in Florida.  Everything I know only works in the northeast.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm not sure where they are getting 20", but if all the sleet/rain/falling slush was actual snow it might add up to 20.  Now 21.  7" more expected today.  It's 34 degrees out and I don't think the temp is supposed to fall until the moisture rolls on out of here.

I suspect it's what dumped this on us. We weren't supposed to get any. It started snowing at 9 on Saturday morning and snowed until 10 at night. The ground was nice and warm, as were the roads, so it didn't add up to much here. But some places north of us got over 10 inches.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Did you know you can start lettuce in January in Florida? I planted seeds yesterday.  

My pepper plants from seeds from a neighbor’s Cuban peppers are also coming up.  I’ll bring those inside as needed (like early this morning when we had tornado warnings), but right now they are super happy outside.

I planted some other seeds but I don’t remember what they were at the moment. Random seeds I had leftover from my failed Covid garden. I’m still trying to get the hang of vegetable gardening in Florida.  Everything I know only works in the northeast.

I understand it's a bit of a challenge. Florida grows so many veggies, getting some kinds of seeds can be hard, is that right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I understand it's a bit of a challenge. Florida grows so many veggies, getting some kinds of seeds can be hard, is that right? 

No idea.  I really have no idea what I am doing. I just plant things and cross my fingers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Easier to layer on more clothes. You can only take off so much when it gets that hot without feeling indecent.

We have snow sledding and hot chocolate and I can hide all my extra weight under soft fluffy clothing and not look out of place. Win, win.

Exactly!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ikslo said:

I plant my winter garden in October. A couple kinds of lettuce, spinach and carrots. My lettuce is doing great, spinach is a wreck and I really need to thin my carrots, but they are doing well, too.

• Like 3

The turkey broth is still going.  I took the pork shoulder roasts out of the freezer so I can cut them into chunks for the Filipino adobo.  Also I made a freezer meal list and grocery supply list.  That's enough for today.  There are Many Things of the Emailing and Online Sort that I should be doing but lackawanna.  So instead I will read and find some chocolate to nibble.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

The turkey broth is still going.  I took the pork shoulder roasts out of the freezer so I can cut them into chunks for the Filipino adobo.  Also I made a freezer meal list and grocery supply list.  That's enough for today.  There are Many Things of the Emailing and Online Sort that I should be doing but lackawanna.  So instead I will read and find some chocolate to nibble.

I am also going to make the Filipino adobo, but with chicken, because that's what we have and the recipe says that's okay. 😄 

I finished "The Whistler" today. I'm on a long list for "The Judge's List." Well, I decided to actually get on the list for the ebook, so that list isn't so long. The one for the hardcopy has something like 30 some odd people waiting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Junie said:

I think Krissi and I are going to disagree on this game, but my brother is bigger than she is and I don't want to get beat up.

No, I’m going to the Steelers. I gave up my crush on Patrick Mahomes. I like Jimmy Garofolo better, so I’m going for the Niners. Of course, the Raiders are still #1. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

This is an awful game. The Steelers are getting annihilated.

I know.  Ds21 and I just gave up.  Now I'm hoping that since I'm not watching they'll have one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history and we can watch it on youtube tomorrow. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I know.  Ds21 and I just gave up.  Now I'm hoping that since I'm not watching they'll have one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history and we can watch it on youtube tomorrow. 🙂

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

My fingers are crossed.

Well… I guess that’s it. I feel sorry for Ben Roethlisberger. That was a terrible game to likely be your last. He’s a good guy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Renai said:

I am also going to make the Filipino adobo, but with chicken, because that's what we have and the recipe says that's okay. 😄 

I finished "The Whistler" today. I'm on a long list for "The Judge's List." Well, I decided to actually get on the list for the ebook, so that list isn't so long. The one for the hardcopy has something like 30 some odd people waiting.

I finished the Whistler, too.  I moved on to The Partner because it was available. For The Judge's List,  I'm 13th in line for a hard copy, and 68th in line for digital, though that is way up from where I started at 1,345th.

I am also reading Christ and Calamity by Harold Senkbeil which is extremely good, particularly for where I am in life right now.  I've never successfully read more than 1 book at a time, but I make myself read 1 chapter of this each day before I can read my current novel.  It's working so far.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Morning. Happy Monday.  

Our snow has turned completely to rain so no snow day.   My one teacher is going to be out sick though so my day is going to be weirder than usual.  This is the teacher who is leaving so I guess I get to try out some of the changes we're going to have to make in a few weeks anyway.  

After class I need to pick up ds at school.  He starts his regular Spring semester class today.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

We got more than that (2+ ft!) overnight and it's still snowing steadily. If you look outside, the only thing that distinguishes the sky from the ground are the trees, IF they are close enough to see through the fast falling snow. 

So cool!

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

49ers barely won by the skin of their teeth, last night. Were you cheering for them, Krissi?

GO NINERS!

• Like 3

Morning. Bright and sunny here and lots of melting going on. I'm rescheduling a few things today like haircuts to next month and working to hit a self-imposed revision deadline this week. Should make it. Other than that, chores, and I'm trying hard NOT to hurt my back again. It's been better this weekend because I've been careful not to do any heavy lifting. Need to keep watching out for that and hopefully it will go ahead and heal up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

49ers barely won by the skin of their teeth, last night. Were you cheering for them, Krissi?

Oh, you bet!!! That was a nail-biter, to be sure!!  Tonight, I think Ima cheer for the Rams. I don’t really care, but IRL-BFF cheers for them and their head coach is really cute.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Oh, you bet!!! That was a nail-biter, to be sure!!  Tonight, I think Ima cheer for the Rams. I don’t really care, but IRL-BFF cheers for them and their head coach is really cute.

I haven't decided who I'm rooting for.  If the Rams win, they have a chance to play in the Super Bowl in their home stadium.  So that could be fun.

• Like 2

Good morning!  Happy MLK Jr. Day!

Dd19's morning college classes were cancelled - I'm hoping her afternoon classes will be cancelled as well.  Nobody wants to drive in this mess.  

Some of the kids have taken the pup with them to the park for sledding.  I sat with ds17 during his cello practice time for a bit to help him remember what his teacher was wanting him to practice.  Now I need to get turkey broth into the freezer.  I think we'll probably have enough for soup for dinner tonight - I need 2 gallons for soups and 3/4 gallon for another recipe.

Coffee!

• Like 4

I don't think my GSD would like the snow.  He hates getting wet, doesn't like walking in wet grass, and gave me the most disgusted look when we opened the door the other day to blustery cold (for us) weather.  He poked his head outside, turned to me to give me the look, and promptly turned around to go back to the couch where he let out the biggest sigh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

I don't think my GSD would like the snow.  He hates getting wet, doesn't like walking in wet grass, and gave me the most disgusted look when we opened the door the other day to blustery cold (for us) weather.  He poked his head outside, turned to me to give me the look, and promptly turned around to go back to the couch where he let out the biggest sigh.

Animals really have to put up with a lot,  that’s a fact.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2