Menu

Ignore this thread!

Today is ds's last day of class.   He's passed his first college course.   I'm so glad the experience didn't end up being as negative as it started out.   I think it was good for his confidence (being a younger, homeschooled student).   Next week he starts the regular Spring semester.  He's taking another English class (we offered to let him switch if he wanted a break) and a Game Design class.  

Happy Thursday!  Today is my long day.   If I don't manage to hire some teachers, starting in February I'm going to have 3 long days a week.    

Landlord is supposed to get us a lease soon so we can see if we're moving forward on new space.

I'm putting together my summer camp schedule and schedule for next year.   Something to do on all those winter snow days.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

I met my grief group peeps for dinner last night - it was very nice.  A really great group of ladies.

Dd19 driving herself to school and work makes me feel like I am always forgetting to do something.  Add to that today the high school kids have tutorial on zoom.  I did manage to clean the stove this morning.  Go me!

I feel that school for us so far this year is fairly wishy-washy.  I'm not pushing the kids, though we have regular lesson days.  I am just letting them do what they feel they can manage.  My brain capacity for supervising and checking up on progress is greatly diminished, not that it was great to begin with.  Ds17 and dd15 at least have tutorial for most of their subjects.  

Coffee!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

That's a pretty ambiguous amount of snow!!  Last week they predicted 1-3 but we got 6. Not sure what they are thinking for Sunday.

Looks like they are saying 3-5 inches!  That will be interesting. No need to put the sleds away, I guess.

#pointsforquotingself

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I have eleventy billion of them outside, if you want more.

Regarding my other thread, what do you think you will actually do? How old are they? I feel like you only have one student old enough, a preschooler and a baby? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Regarding my other thread, what do you think you will actually do? How old are they? I feel like you only have one student old enough, a preschooler and a baby? 

Ages 11, 3, and 1.5

I plan to have the 2 littles do R&S science and read from Apologia science texts for further info and possible experiments just like Oldest Is currently doing. It seems you can easily find demos of a lot of the Apologia experiments on YouTube for when you just want show them but not actually do it. There was also some CLE units that taught how to use a field guide to find info on birds that Oldest really enjoyed, so maybe that if they show interest. The current plan is Apologia for Highschool after R&S 9/10 in 8th. I'm open to switching sooner, but Oldest won't have it. He likes that R&S switches strands at every unit instead of one thing all year long.

Notgrass history, but not until maybe 2nd or 3rd grade. Before that, they won't remember anyway, so they can just do the HITW timeline with Oldest and learn about community organizations/ workers and learn basic map skills. Oldest is only reading the lessons and doing the map assignments and weekly tests from the workbook (not doing the daily workbook pages). We discuss the vocabulary words. If anything in particular really gets his interest, I find books he can read for further info. I think this will work well on wash, rinse, repeat.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ages 11, 3, and 1.5

I plan to have the 2 littles do R&S science and read from Apologia science texts for further info and possible experiments just like Oldest Is currently doing. It seems you can easily find demos of a lot of the Apologia experiments on YouTube for when you just want show them but not actually do it. There was also some CLE units that taught how to use a field guide to find info on birds that Oldest really enjoyed, so maybe that if they show interest. The current plan is Apologia for Highschool after R&S 9/10 in 8th. I'm open to switching sooner, but Oldest won't have it. He likes that R&S switches strands at every unit instead of one thing all year long.

Notgrass history, but not until maybe 2nd or 3rd grade. Before that, they won't remember anyway, so they can just do the HITW timeline with Oldest and learn about community organizations/ workers and learn basic map skills. Oldest is only reading the lessons and doing the map assignments and weekly tests from the workbook (not doing the daily workbook pages). We discuss the vocabulary words. If anything in particular really gets his interest, I find books he can read for further info. I think this will work well on wash, rinse, repeat.

I've spoken to the Notgrass people and I think their curriculum will be...

1st-4th: US political and cultural geography, American history with song and dance, world history with song and dance, citizenship (90 lessons each)

5th-8th: American history with physical geography, world history with physical geography, American political and cultural geography, government (180 lessons each)

9th-12th: World physical and cultural geography, American history, World history, government and economics (180 lessons each, except government and economics being 90)

So this could be done in 3rd-12th if you do a lesson a day, 180 lessons a year. I really like SOTW though, and I want to do Old Western Culture in high school.

I think for next year we'll do Our 50 states out loud as a family, notebooks for 1st and 3rd graders, Uncle Sam independently by 5th. So he'll be subject to the geography but not have to do it. Then Apologia with notebooks for 1st, 3rd and 5th, and a shared kit. We have never used the notebooks before.

• Like 3

Just now, Slache said:

When we're watching Disney movies the kids will frequently pull out the air instruments and sing over the normal song. Isaac is always confused but participates loudly.

John's on guitar, Alex on drums and Mary just shakes her head and screams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Nope. My kids have never even watched that movie.

From Notgrass:

We are in the very early stages of developing a world history and a world geography for the elementary level. It is too early to offer release dates on either of these projects at this time.

Our Star-Spangled Story has 90 lessons. Our 50 States has 104 lessons. Each of our middle school and high school full year programs have 150 lessons. Our half year courses (Exploring Economics and Exploring Government) each have 75 lessons.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, Carolina Wren said:

This week, every day is a Second Coffee day!

UPDATE: Today was not a Second Coffee day because we're trying out the schedule DS will have if he goes to PS next year but with me teaching, and there is no time to do anything like making extra coffee. IDK if we should even enter him into the lottery. (It's a charter. About 45 minutes away. With a long school day Monday-Thursday and a more normal one on Fridays.) But it's a very interesting school.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carolina Wren said:

UPDATE: Today was not a Second Coffee day because we're trying out the schedule DS will have if he goes to PS next year but with me teaching, and there is no time to do anything like making extra coffee. IDK if we should even enter him into the lottery. (It's a charter. About 45 minutes away. With a long school day Monday-Thursday and a more normal one on Fridays.) But it's a very interesting school.

Sounds promising.  Except for the coffee issue.  We might need to call on some staff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From Notgrass:

We are in the very early stages of developing a world history and a world geography for the elementary level. It is too early to offer release dates on either of these projects at this time.

Our Star-Spangled Story has 90 lessons. Our 50 States has 104 lessons. Each of our middle school and high school full year programs have 150 lessons. Our half year courses (Exploring Economics and Exploring Government) each have 75 lessons.

Yep, I was aware. 

Siggy updated.

:cool:

This will remain a mystery to me as I cannot see siggys.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Yep, I was aware. 

This will remain a mystery to me as I cannot see siggys.

Slash siggie:

Family: The Ology, The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, SOTW w/AG & TimeFrame, Flying Creatures
John, 5th: Saxon, IEW, Artistic Pursuits, Piano, Violin, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Krav Maga
Mary, 3rd: Saxon, IEW, Artistic Pursuits, Piano, Greek, Spanish, Krav Maga
Alex, K: Singapore, HOP, Home Art Studio, What's In The Bible
Isaac, 1yo: Our Texas anchor baby

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Renai said:

Slash siggie:

Family: The Ology, The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, SOTW w/AG & TimeFrame, Flying Creatures
John, 5th: Saxon, IEW, Artistic Pursuits, Piano, Violin, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Krav Maga
Mary, 3rd: Saxon, IEW, Artistic Pursuits, Piano, Greek, Spanish, Krav Maga
Alex, K: Singapore, HOP, Home Art Studio, What's In The Bible
Isaac, 1yo: Our Texas anchor baby

I just changed the science after a family rebellion. It's not very exciting. I should listen to Krissi more often.

• Like 1