Menu

What's with the ads?

Morning. It's summer. That's the problem. All the focus is flying off in different directions like so many bees, all trying to get too much done at once. 

Making my list and second caffeine now. I have watered the garden and remembered what I'm making for supper (that's a lie, I had to go look) and now I'm catching up chores I didn't do yesterday because we lost power in the afternoon and I didn't get to run the sweeper and the steam-mop or do the linens. Lots of writing planned and some critique work.

ETA: It's time for a Summertime Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 8

I waited til I was in the ultrasound room before taking a sip of my coffee. Only drank a couple sips and it just didn't taste as good as cold ice water. Weird.

Baby is measuring a little under 8lbs so right on track to be about the same size as his big brothers were at birth.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Ukulele/storytime/writing is done, now what should I do?  After coffee, obviously.  My vanilla beans came in, so I can stick them in my bottle of vodka.    I think I need to make out a plan for what really needs to be done for school and umbrella registration and work on those things first.  Our umbrella sent out a plea for those who are planning to register for fall, to do so as soon as possible because they expect an onslaught come August when the public schools decide they can't open. 

• Like 4

Yay for happy ultrasounds! 

Whatever messed up on our AC is fritzing again. I am going to be an optimist and think it'll fix itself again like it did last week. Leaving it off a few hours to see if it will magically come back on. Send happy AC vibes please, or if not, frozen alcoholic beverages, because there is nothing like having a houseguest and a broken AC!

• Like 4

I should look up what the deal is with blood pressure. I check mine but have no clue what the numbers actually mean, just what's considered high/low and when to call the Dr. Mine always runs on the low side. It's been running about 93/62 on average. This morning the bottom number was 57.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I should look up what the deal is with blood pressure. I check mine but have no clue what the numbers actually mean, just what's considered high/low and when to call the Dr. Mine always runs on the low side. It's been running about 93/62 on average. This morning the bottom number was 57.

Dh just explained this to me the other day.  Let's see if I can remember.  The top number is the amount of pressure the blood puts on the artery walls when the "pulse" is going through, and the lower number is the pressure between the beats.

• Like 3

Current hospital policy:

Obstetric Patients – 1 support person for patients in labor and throughout the postpartum period until discharge, with no time limitations. During the postpartum period a second person can be designated as a visitor, but only one person may be at the bedside at a time.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh just explained this to me the other day.  Let's see if I can remember.  The top number is the amount of pressure the blood puts on the artery walls when the "pulse" is going through, and the lower number is the pressure between the beats.

Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yay for happy ultrasounds! 

Whatever messed up on our AC is fritzing again. I am going to be an optimist and think it'll fix itself again like it did last week. Leaving it off a few hours to see if it will magically come back on. Send happy AC vibes please, or if not, frozen alcoholic beverages, because there is nothing like having a houseguest and a broken AC!

How's it going now?  Have you checked the circuit breaker / fuse box?  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

How's it going now?  Have you checked the circuit breaker / fuse box?  

Tried it a bit ago and it came back on. What's happening- in case any of y'all are AC experts who can weigh in- is it will start making this sort of drumming noise in the attic, and the vent will stop blowing. Not even blowing hot air. But the attic fan will be turning.....the outside unit part will run fine- but that's what caused it to ice up last week the repair guy said.- the outside unit running, but not the attic fan. So this time, as soon as I heard the thumping and confirmed no air was blowing, I shut it off. Checked outside- no ice. (It took us a long time to realize where the noise was coming from- we thought it was our neighbor doing some work outside.) 

The only coincidence is that last week it happened after they tested our generator and cut the power to the house to see if it would trip. AC guy said, maybe it surged a bit when they did that and stopped the fan in the attic from spinning and then it started spinning backward until we shut it off, which would explain the noise. Today, the generator cut on for its weekly self test. But the power to the house didn't cut. The generator just spins up. But it's an awful big coincidence to me. We'll see. The guy is coming in the morning so at least if it goes out again, it's not days before we can get someone like they told us last week. 

My bet is they're going to replace the attic blower fan. But i know nothing about ACs and am just repeating what they guy said. 🙂

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
two kittens in one day! :(
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Tried it a bit ago and it came back on. What's happening- in case any of y'all are AC experts who can weigh in- is it will start making this sort of drumming noise in the attic, and the vent will stop blowing. Not even blowing hot air. But the attic fan will be turning.....the outside unit part will run fine- but that's what caused it to ice up last week the repair guy said.- the outside unit running, but not the attic fan. So this time, as soon as I heard the thumping and confirmed no air was blowing, I shut it off. Checked outside- no ice. (It took us a long time to realize where the noise was coming from- we thought it was our neighbor doing some work outside.) 

The only coincidence is that last week it happened after they tested our generator and cut the power to the house to see if it would trip. AC guy said, maybe it surged a bit when they did that and stopped the fan in the attic from spinning and then it started spinning backward until we shut it off, which would explain the noise. Today, the generator cut on for its weekly self test. But the power to the house didn't cut. The generator just spins up. But it's an awful big coincidence to me. We'll see. The guy is coming in the morning so at least if it goes out again, it's not days before we can get someone like they told us last week. 

My bet is they're going to replace the attic blower fan. But i know nothing about ACs and am just repeating what they guy said. 🙂

Well, whatever is going wrong with attic fan, that sounds cheaper than something with the outside unit.  Glad he's coming back in the morning!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Another Lynn said:

Well, whatever is going wrong with attic fan, that sounds cheaper than something with the outside unit.  Glad he's coming back in the morning!  

I am pretty sure the condenser is in the attic too and that can get pretty expensive. We already replaced this one a couple of years ago, so I hope that is not it.  The fan will be about $700 to replace. The condenser part was more like 4k I think (I might have blocked it out) and that wasn't even for a fancy one. I feel like the Press Your Luck game show contestant NO WHAMMIES. NO WHAMMIES! Come on Attic Fan! $600! Yes! When you become happy to spend $600 and not angry at the AC manufacturers, you know they have you beat. 😬

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I am pretty sure the condenser is in the attic too and that can get pretty expensive. We already replaced this one a couple of years ago, so I hope that is not it.  The fan will be about $700 to replace. The condenser part was more like 4k I think (I might have blocked it out) and that wasn't even for a fancy one. I feel like the Press Your Luck game show contestant NO WHAMMIES. NO WHAMMIES! Come on Attic Fan! $600! Yes! When you become happy to spend $600 and not angry at the AC manufacturers, you know they have you beat. 😬

I totally understand.  And a new unit could be 7000-10,000.  😱  So crazy!  

• Like 2

Just now, Another Lynn said:

I totally understand.  And a new unit could be 7000-10,000.  😱  So crazy!  

It is definitely 😱😳 territory. Ours are both now one year out of their 10 year warranty so I know it's coming. That's why I really am not going to complain if it's $700. I do wish my Macbook had picked a different day to shed more of it's keys though, lol. How am I supposed to ITT if my keys keep falling off. 😂

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It is definitely 😱😳 territory. Ours are both now one year out of their 10 year warranty so I know it's coming. That's why I really am not going to complain if it's $700. I do wish my Macbook had picked a different day to shed more of it's keys though, lol. How am I supposed to ITT if my keys keep falling off. 😂

This is indeed an emergency!  We must always be able to ITT!  This is a priority of the highest order!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After my super early morning, I went and worked out with dd.  (we're switching to meeting every other day now that she's back to work).  Then the kids and I had dentist appointments.  Came home and took a nap before dinner.   Watched The Quiet Place and now I'm watching the original Footloose so I don't go to bed with horror movie on my mind.  

Tomorrow no workout, my algebra class was cancelled so I have all day to do whatever.  More cleaning, class planning and maybe updating my quickbooks. 

• Like 3

Dd13 told me recently that she doesn't like Anne of Green Gables.

sigh.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

You are correct.  And Servie, mine was always 90/60 range, even throughout pregnancies, til I gained weight not being pregnant.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Junie said:

sigh.

The book or the show or both?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ikslo said:

The book or the show or both?

The book.  She hasn't seen the movie yet.  But she will... bwahahahaha 😉

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Junie said:

sigh.

I am so sorry. I really liked that book. And the movie.

• Like 5

We are having a Wii tournament. Today we attempted to find the Ponderosa Ranch (think Bonanza), but apparently it no longer exists.drove into Nevada for that. So, that was kind of cool, even though it was a wild goose chase. Tomorrow we are going to go up to Donner Lake.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Junie said:

sigh.

It was a free read for dd12 last school year and she ended up not finishing it.  I think I would have been better off to have waited until she was older.  Maybe someday we'll get back around to trying again.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Now we are doing archery.

🎯  🏆

And now. It’s ping pong.

🏓   🏆

I like the sword slicing game best.

Oh, I forgot about that one.  The kids always liked that one too.  ⚔️   🏆

• Like 3

The AC made it through the night! Yay! No hot flashes! 🙂 

I am getting more nervous this is generator related though and they’re going to come replace a part for no reason. Although, I guess if one is acting up and not the other maybe it is someone on this one AC? idk. Just seems like too much coincidence it’s been on generator day both times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

My to-do list needs some work.  In fact, I think I forgot to make one and I'm still working on last week's list.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  Stayed in bed a little bit later today but wouldn't say I "slept in".  Dog got me up at 3:30 barking at raccoons in the trash.  Then again at 4:30.  Then again at 5:15.   And he did pee on the floor.   So even before caffeine I got to pick up trash and wipe up pee.   Not a good start to the day.

Dh is probably coming home today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Junie said:

sigh.

I've never loved the Anne books.

Fantasy and science fiction are my genres, stuff that is too much like real life doesn't interest me 😂

• Like 7

Morning. Rough night last night. Lots of pressure and no comfy position to be found for sleeping. Oldest decided to wake me this morning after DH told him not to. Lovely times.

However, I'm alert, not overly sleepy, and my coffee tastes great after 2 very tall glasses of cold water first. Not dizzy either: Looks like my sugar and blood pressure are actually in normal (not low) range right now.

Youngest is speaking his own language right now, but as long as he understands himself and is content, life is good. He even woke up totally dry this morning!

My nesting instinct has kicked into hyperdrive. All it took was DH actually doing the one thing I've been begging him to do since before Youngest was born: take care of the coat hanging area of our laundry room. This requires going through it all and building a new way of hanging coats that actually makes sense. We went out and bought bins and went through it all together. Some is getting donated and the rest is now in 2 bins up in the attic labeled for this winter's use and future winters use. I'm so happy I could do a pregnant back handspring. We'll, not really but the enthusiasm was so much that I've now swept, mopped, and reorganized my entire laundry room. And I may have gone a bit overboard because I even cleaned the washer and dryer inside and out so they are all sparkly now.

Then I moved on to deep cleaning the infant car seat and putting it all back together again, packing my hospital bag, and rearranging/ organizing the nursery.

Today, I plan to resume my reorganizing of the pantry. I have stuff that just needs to be pulled out and gone through so I can actually use the cupboards for practical stuff like food instead of stuff I next to never use. And a good wipedown of the shelves wouldn't hurt, soooo.... Then onto regular daily stuff like dishes and bathrooms.

:Willy Nilly:

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning.  Stayed in bed a little bit later today but wouldn't say I "slept in".  Dog got me up at 3:30 barking at raccoons in the trash.  Then again at 4:30.  Then again at 5:15.   And he did pee on the floor.   So even before caffeine I got to pick up trash and wipe up pee.   Not a good start to the day.

Dh is probably coming home today.

Yay for your dh coming home!  Hopefully that helps Doggie remember his manners.  😜

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Morning. Rough night last night. Lots of pressure and no comfy position to be found for sleeping. Oldest decided to wake me this morning after DH told him not to. Lovely times.

However, I'm alert, not overly sleepy, and my coffee tastes great after 2 very tall glasses of cold water first. Not dizzy either: Looks like my sugar and blood pressure are actually in normal (not low) range right now.

Youngest is speaking his own language right now, but as long as he understands himself and is content, life is good. He even woke up totally dry this morning!

My nesting instinct has kicked into hyperdrive. All it took was DH actually doing the one thing I've been begging him to do since before Youngest was born: take care of the coat hanging area of our laundry room. This requires going through it all and building a new way of hanging coats that actually makes sense. We went out and bought bins and went through it all together. Some is getting donated and the rest is now in 2 bins up in the attic labeled for this winter's use and future winters use. I'm so happy I could do a pregnant back handspring. We'll, not really but the enthusiasm was so much that I've now swept, mopped, and reorganized my entire laundry room. And I may have gone a bit overboard because I even cleaned the washer and dryer inside and out so they are all sparkly now.

Then I moved on to deep cleaning the infant car seat and putting it all back together again, packing my hospital bag, and rearranging/ organizing the nursery.

Today, I plan to resume my reorganizing of the pantry. I have stuff that just needs to be pulled out and gone through so I can actually use the cupboards for practical stuff like food instead of stuff I next to never use. And a good wipedown of the shelves wouldn't hurt, soooo.... Then onto regular daily stuff like dishes and bathrooms.

Yay for completed projects and nesting!

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

It is so quiet up here in the morning, for all that there’s like half a gazillion vacationers up here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I think you deserve a Nesting Trophy. 🏆. That's a lot of nesting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I think you deserve a Nesting Trophy. 🏆. That's a lot of nesting.

DH loves when I hit the nesting phase. I think he'd have helped me with the coat fiasco way sooner if he'd have realized it would spark such a strong reaction. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. It's still summer. 

It sure is. And Critter doesn’t do summer. ((Critter))

❄️❄️❄️❄️🌧🌧🌧🌧☃️☃️

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Well, I just started shopping.  I know a couple of things that I don't want:

1. A side-by-side -- because of where the fridge is located, the left door cannot open more than 90 degrees.  This has caused a few problems with our current side-by-side.

2.  black, especially if there is a water dispenser -- we have very hard water and our current fridge has been impossible to keep clean.  I mean, it's hard water stains, not actual "dirt" but it doesn't look very nice.

I really like this one, but the left door might be a problem.  We would probably have to take the bottom shelf off of the left door in order to pull out the drawers in the main part of the fridge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-25-2-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1000228559

And this is another one that I found that would work better, but I'm not sure that I like it as much.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-18-7-cu-ft-Bottom-Freezer-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/50213441

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

Well, I just started shopping.  I know a couple of things that I don't want:

1. A side-by-side -- because of where the fridge is located, the left door cannot open more than 90 degrees.  This has caused a few problems with our current side-by-side.

2.  black, especially if there is a water dispenser -- we have very hard water and our current fridge has been impossible to keep clean.  I mean, it's hard water stains, not actual "dirt" but it doesn't look very nice.

I really like this one, but the left door might be a problem.  We would probably have to take the bottom shelf off of the left door in order to pull out the drawers in the main part of the fridge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-25-2-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1000228559

And this is another one that I found that would work better, but I'm not sure that I like it as much.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-18-7-cu-ft-Bottom-Freezer-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/50213441

On the water dispensers, some of them have an internal water dispenser now. If you don't need an ice dispenser that could be an option. We had to buy a fridge last year, so I was suprised by that feature. I think it was on the Kitchen Aids. 

I looked at almost that exact Whirlpool in the first link. That's a pretty fridge and super roomy. 

7 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

On the water dispensers, some of them have an internal water dispenser now. If you don't need an ice dispenser that could be an option. We had to buy a fridge last year, so I was suprised by that feature. I think it was on the Kitchen Aids. 

I looked at almost that exact Whirlpool in the first link. That's a pretty fridge and super roomy. 

The kids use the water dispenser a lot but we rarely use ice.  (Maybe if we lived in Texas we would.) 😉

The internal one would take a little bit of getting used to, but we could make it work.

And re: roomy.  Yep!  Roomy is the most important feature of all.  I mean, we're getting rid of a kid every two years -- every even year we're sending another one off to college -- but even so, there are still 4 kids here and the grocery store isn't convenient.  Especially now.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

The kids use the water dispenser a lot but we rarely use ice.  (Maybe if we lived in Texas we would.) 😉

The internal one would take a little bit of getting used to, but we could make it work.

And re: roomy.  Yep!  Roomy is the most important feature of all.  I mean, we're getting rid of a kid every two years -- every even year we're sending another one off to college -- but even so, there are still 4 kids here and the grocery store isn't convenient.  Especially now.  

Yeah, we couldn't not have the ice dispenser. Even though that is the most likely thing to break every time. We'd have just had people constantly rummaging through ice and that would've been annoying, lol. But I was fascinated by the internal dispenser. No more drips! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Ukulele/storytime/writing is done, now what should I do?  After coffee, obviously.  My vanilla beans came in, so I can stick them in my bottle of vodka.    I think I need to make out a plan for what really needs to be done for school and umbrella registration and work on those things first.  Our umbrella sent out a plea for those who are planning to register for fall, to do so as soon as possible because they expect an onslaught come August when the public schools decide they can't open. 

For some reason I read this as some type of cocktail until I remembered this is how you diy extract. I was envisioning you wuth a martini class witha vanilla bean instead of an olive. 

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

You’re only “mostly dead.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Dang, girl!

You run outta things to do, I got a whole house of them...

• Like 4