Menu

What's with the ads?

I revised, then went out and watered my tomatoes and peppers and the volunteer scallop squash in my herb garden. It was a seed that didn't sprout in the pot, but decided it could sprout in the garden. Well, then. It's covered in tiny pattypans, and I'll have to figure out how to cook those little devils.

Other than that, not doing much except for watering and eyeing all the potential pumpkins that may go big this year. We've got one doing amazing, one that's topped out, I think, and a couple raw recruits still hiding under the pumpkin leaves, but not for long. They'll need their blankies and platforms soon. 

ETA: It's The Great Pumpkin Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 9

The Great Pumpkin...or so we hope. The boy has worked very hard to get it this big. He's a real pumpkin grower now. Had his first pumpkin nightmare the other night.

20200707_110410.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I just tossed a new book into the little girls' room.  Imagine throwing a steak into a pack of wild dogs...  It was kind of like that.

You have taught them well, Junie!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

The Great Pumpkin...or so we hope. The boy has worked very hard to get it this big. He's a real pumpkin grower now. Had his first pumpkin nightmare the other night.

20200707_110410.jpg

What's that under the pumpkin?

• Like 1

The creamy lemon tarragon chicken soup is in the freezer.  I think it's the most delicious soup ever created.  (A good New England lobster bisque and my mom's wild rice soup would come in a close 2nd and 3rd.)  I had it for lunch once at a bookstore cafe in The Big City probably 20 years ago and happened to come across the recipe in a cookbook a while after.  It has probably changed slightly from the original since I lost the actual cookbook and now I triple the recipe for freezing.

Poor dh is having a time of it the past couple days.  Someone at his work was fired and people are really walking on eggshells and to add to the stress he just changed his blood pressure medication and he's feeling a little wonky from that.  

There's a tune thing I want to learn on the mandolin but I forget about it until after I've already practiced and my fingers hurt too much to pick it back up.  I suppose I could just listen to it.

I want to get a U-bass (bass ukulele).  They are kinda expensive.  There is no law limiting the number of ukuleles one is allowed to own.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m here. Had an Awana committee meeting tonight. I keep singing, “It’s the end of the world as we know it.....” it was a good meeting, though. We Aren’t  doing Awana because we can’t have kids indoors. So, we’re going to do 8 weeks of something and then take a break until after Christmas. I don’t know. But it’s better than trying to figure out how to do Awana with the parameters we have been given.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

We are getting pretty close to page 4000.  What should we do to celebrate?

Parrrr-tay on the Island. Rocco, Roderigo..... step to it.

• Like 3

One of my hens has gone broody; she was sitting on the wooden eggs I keep in the nesting box to encourage the hens to lay there rather than in random places all over the yard. I found someone who has a rooster and got four fertile eggs to put under her instead; I hope at least some of them hatch!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Starting the coffee is a minute.  I need a day at home alone to get things done.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Morning.  Slept in until the alarm this morning.   I'm waking up more tired these days.  I think it's the weather, it's been hot, humid, cloudy with little rain relief so that heavy dull feeling.   It always makes my allergies worse.   

Work out with dd today, then I have another interview for my teacher position.  We'll see how I feel about this one compared to Monday.  

Dh is leaving for his mom's after dinner.  She has an appointment tomorrow that he wants to go with her.  He'll stay at least through the weekend.  Dd is coming over tomorrow for us to watch Hamilton and have dinner together.  

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

I didn't sleep particularly well, but I'm up.

My to-do list is looking very undone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good Mornijg!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

We’re beginning another heat wave.☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥😩😩😩😩

Nothing much else going on. I guess I should think a little bit about our Lake Tahoe trip. I need to decide which meals we are going to eat in -definitely breakfasts.

• Like 3

Good morning!

I'm back from Horse Camp drop-off.  The ranch dog ate Dd13's lunch yesterday, so hopefully today she'll remember to put her lunch up out of reach!  Apparently he also collects rocks.  Dd said when they are playing in the creek, the dog will search the stream for acceptable rocks and make a nicely arranged pile of them.  😁

Today's freezer meal cooking projects: Kansas City steak soup (made with stew beef, not steak) and "Farmhouse Chili" (from The Joy of Cooking).   I once made this chili for a neighborhood chili potluck and one guy tasted it and nearly spit it out.  "That's weird" I think was his comment.  He didn't know I was the one who made it, lol.  It has sausage, white beans, cumin, sage, tomatoes, and maple syrup and zero chili powder, so I'm not sure you can technically call it chili.  We love it.  I'll make a couple vegetarian portions for dd21.

I had a ukulele epiphany late last night - You'll Be Back from Hamilton.  It MUST be done.

Coffee!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Mornijg!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

We’re beginning another heat wave.☀️

I would like to see this jig!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Haha 4

@Susan in TN That board under the pumpkin is to help keep it from touching soil and potentially rotting. It has holes for drainage. We should have picked a bigger board, because I think it might outgrow that one. Live and learn!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's cloudy outside, but it's not fooling me. We've had higher chances of rain all week, and nothing has fallen from the sky expect horrible, wholesome sunshine.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

@Another Lynn said I don't have to be an overachiever to come visit the thread, so I'm here to say HI! and also congrats for all the new babies and all of the almost born babies/grand babies.

One of our ACs went out last night so we are trying to find a reputable person to come out and fix it today. This is rather like finding a needle in a haystack. The place we normally use cannot come out until Friday. At least we have two portables so hopefully that keeps too much load from being on the other unit. It's supposed to be 95 today with a current humidity level of 76%, so I am very grateful for having the portable ACs! 

• Like 11

The bumblebees are extremely happy with us this year. They have lemon balm regularly, but every morning when the new squash blossoms open, they are all over them. The garden hums.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I had a ukulele epiphany late last night - You'll Be Back from Hamilton.  It MUST be done.

Duh!

• Like 4

On 7/6/2020 at 4:54 PM, Another Lynn said:

5 hours!  Surely you guys are not out in this heat!  🔥🔥🔥

I was out yesterday in the heat, actually.  As soon as I got home from work I jumped in the pool.  And I mean jumped.  I did a cannonball just like when I was a kid, LOL.

ETA:  I am a day behind.   For some reason I was thinking today was Tuesday and Monday was yesterday.  Wow.  need coffee.  But I swam both days due to the heat, so my post still stands.  

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I was out yesterday in the heat, actually.  As soon as I got home from work I jumped in the pool.  And I mean jumped.  I did a cannonball just like when I was a kid, LOL.

ETA:  I am a day behind.   For some reason I was thinking today was Tuesday and Monday was yesterday.  Wow.  need coffee.  But I swam both days due to the heat, so my post still stands.  

Yes, backyard pool changes everything!  💦💦 💦

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Yes, backyard pool changes everything!  💦💦 💦

It was my #1 must have when deciding to move to FL. 🙂  I ♥ FL, but I don't think I would ♥ it so much without the pool.  And CV-19 lockdown would have been really poopy without it.

• Like 6

Sad and relieved here.  Relieved that my mom cancelled her backyard wedding ceremony at the end of this month, because travelling and CV-19 and parties with people and whatnot. Sad because it means I won't be visiting Susan. 😞 I was looking forward to knocking on her door.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Ugh. Now would not be a good time to have the air conditioner go out.😬

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

@Another Lynn said I don't have to be an overachiever to come visit the thread, so I'm here to say HI! and also congrats for all the new babies and all of the almost born babies/grand babies.

One of our ACs went out last night so we are trying to find a reputable person to come out and fix it today. This is rather like finding a needle in a haystack. The place we normally use cannot come out until Friday. At least we have two portables so hopefully that keeps too much load from being on the other unit. It's supposed to be 95 today with a current humidity level of 76%, so I am very grateful for having the portable ACs! 

Welcome to ITT. You definitely don’t have to be an overachiever. Glad you came over to play!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are going to try to go to the river tomorrow morning. Morning, because the only people we are likely to see are campers. Thursday, because there will not be a ton of campers. Hopefully. In all my years of going there, I have yet to have a person approach me or my kids. Them, because they can paddle away. Me, because I look completely weird with a tea towel tied on my head and a laptop clicking away. Scary, scary!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yikes!  The Texan needs a complimentary trip to the ITT island with cold drinks with umbrellas!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Duh!

Well, you could have told me before!  Lol

59 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Sad and relieved here.  Relieved that my mom cancelled her backyard wedding ceremony at the end of this month, because travelling and CV-19 and parties with people and whatnot. Sad because it means I won't be visiting Susan. 😞 I was looking forward to knocking on her door.

Well nuts.  And I have all this delicious hot soup to share! 😂

21 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My parents AC company can come tomorrow AM. We weren't sure they would drive all the way out here. Fingers crossed they feel the same way after looking at a map. 😂

Come on, AC People!  It's not THAT far!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The KC Steak soup is done and the chili is half done - I took out a few portions for dd21 before adding the meat.  Taking a little break before starting on that part.  

The past couple mornings I have woken up all puffy-eyed which is not usual for me.  I wonder if I had a reaction to something I ate.  I ate quite a few cherries last week and also had been using half&half in my coffee because I ran out of the protein shake I usually use.  

I realized last night that everyone in my immediate family has been to San Antonio except for me and I'm the only one with a real reason to go there.  Humph.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Matt's going to "school" to be a residential inspector. He'd make more and only work full time. There are some logistical questions, but I think we can pull it off. He needs to apprentice and stuff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Well, you could have told me before!  Lol

I had never heard any of the songs from Hamilton until I watched it this past week.  But then when you said playing it on the ukulele, I thought, "Duh, of course.  It's the perfect song for that."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I had never heard any of the songs from Hamilton until I watched it this past week.  But then when you said playing it on the ukulele, I thought, "Duh, of course.  It's the perfect song for that."

I've never seen Hamilton, but my kids have been singing that *forever*.  It was like a duh V-8 moment! 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Matt's going to "school" to be a residential inspector. He'd make more and only work full time. There are some logistical questions, but I think we can pull it off. He needs to apprentice and stuff.

Whew.  Busy much?
How you doing? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

The KC Steak soup is done and the chili is half done - I took out a few portions for dd21 before adding the meat.  Taking a little break before starting on that part.  

The past couple mornings I have woken up all puffy-eyed which is not usual for me.  I wonder if I had a reaction to something I ate.  I ate quite a few cherries last week and also had been using half&half in my coffee because I ran out of the protein shake I usually use.  

I realized last night that everyone in my immediate family has been to San Antonio except for me and I'm the only one with a real reason to go there.  Humph.  

Cherries and milk!!  That’s what killed Harrison. (Was it Harrison?  Which president was it?)

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Yay for Matt!!

• Like 4

PoPo the Fancy Rat died this afternoon.  Funeral to commence in a bit.  He was the last of dd11's rats.  R.I.P. PoPo

• Sad 8

RIP PoPo. 

Our AC company just informed us they're on their way. I guess now we can get competing quotes from the place tomorrow as I seriously doubt it will just take a part he happens to have on the truck! 

We managed to get through all of school and kids are now in the pool. Between them, the puppy, and hot, I could use a shot of patience. They have liquid courage. Is there something like that for patience? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

RIP PoPo. 

Our AC company just informed us they're on their way. I guess now we can get competing quotes from the place tomorrow as I seriously doubt it will just take a part he happens to have on the truck! 

We managed to get through all of school and kids are now in the pool. Between them, the puppy, and hot, I could use a shot of patience. They have liquid courage. Is there something like that for patience? 

I think that's a hot toddy! 😂

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Whew.  Busy much?
How you doing? 

Good. Tired. Feeling defeated.

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I am the proud owner of a 30lb bag of puppy food.

Me too!

47 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

PoPo the Fancy Rat died this afternoon.  Funeral to commence in a bit.  He was the last of dd11's rats.  R.I.P. PoPo

I'm sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

AC came back on when the tech turned it on. He thinks when they tested out our generator yesterday something technical happened that I didn't follow completely, but dh did and anyway it's working now.  He said if it happens again, just call him back. Anyway, yay for cold air! Hopefully it's cool by tonight. And Chic Fil A for dinner since hot stoves and ovens are bad for hot houses. Win-win. 

Sorry you are feeling defeated Slache. 😞

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Coffee!

YAAAAASSSSSSSSSS!!!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Good. Tired. Feeling defeated.

(((Slachey))) Need the ENB to do any ButtKicking on your behalf?

• Like 1

Angelica Schuyler’s husband apparently got shafted. He sounds like he was probably quite dashing. They eloped, lived under an assumed name for 7 years because of his gambling debts and speculation, and was sort of an amateur expert in dueling who had already dueled Aaron Burr and who lent them the dueling pistols. Definitely not boring!

I haven’t seen Hamilton either but I loved the soundtrack. And if you haven’t seen the spoof video Hamildolph, you need to!  Hilarious!

• Like 2

Good Morning!  Dh made the coffee, but it seems okay.  Busy day - dd's swim practice, home again, back for rec swim time (we sign up ahead for that), then ds's orthodontist appt., then 2nd ds's homeschool community graduation celebration (we get to take a quick picture at our assigned time and then there's a car parade, and then we leave and the graduates have a ceremony and banquet.  It's graduates only to keep the numbers at the legal level.)

(((Slashie)))  You are not failing.  You are growing a precious little one.  Just keep on swimming.  You'll get there.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1