Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning.  Woke up to a White Christmas Eve.   I think we're supposed to get rain/freezing rain tonight so the snow likely won't stick around.   I guess I'm glad my mom is sleeping over dd's house tonight.  

ETA:  A White Christmas Eve Booya!  🎄❄️

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Once I have my tea and finish waking up I have to clean the bathroom (including wash the rugs), clean the kitchen, and wrap some gifts.   The gifts only need to be wrapped before the kids wake up, which won't happen for hours yet so that's last on the list.  

I'm starting to feel a little bit excited about Christmas.  This year felt blah, but it's getting better.   

• Like 8

Morning. It's gray and warm, headed to 75F this morning. The dog hasn't been feeling well, but she's better this morning, so I'll likely risk a trip to the lake this afternoon as long as she continues to do well.

Other than that, I've got a pecan pie to bake and cinnamon rolls to make this evening, and revisions and drafting to keep me happy.

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Friday!,

Christmas Eve!!!

I have cookies and bread to bake today. The cookies just need to be baked. I mixed them up yesterday and they needed to chill. They are my fancy checkerboard and pinwheels. They are a pain in the patootie to make, but they are pretty and the kids expect me to make them.

• Like 4

Good morning!  Happy Christmas Eve!

Chester was kind and did not start his polite growling until 7:30 this morning.

I baked the pretzel crust for strawberry pretzel salad (who is the ding dong who thought it should be called a salad?!?  I'll bet it was someone from Minnesota, lol!) and made tomato and spinach scrambled eggs for breakfast.  Tomatoes in eggs are my favorite.  The spinach makes it look more Christmasy.

Somehow the roof of our little storage shed/bin blew off last night into the "forest".  Ds17 has been given the job of figuring out how to secure it back on.  Dd15 is vacuuming.  I am trying to figure out what is going on today.  I do have a list, but brain isn't working yet because I haven't finished my 

Coffee!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Morning.  Woke up to a White Christmas Eve.   I think we're supposed to get rain/freezing rain tonight so the snow likely won't stick around.   I guess I'm glad my mom is sleeping over dd's house tonight.  

ETA:  A White Christmas Eve Booya!  🎄❄️

It’s been a soggy week here for us. It feels so good to get the rain, though. The ground is getting saturated. Lots of snow in the mountains.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

Merry Christmas Eve!

I've gotten zero wrapping done which means that I have to do a ton today.  Sigh.  The shopping was fun, though!

I need to do some wrapping today, too.  Somehow I just feel like I have a few more days left before Christmas, but that ain’t so anymore.

• Like 5

Krissi, your bread sounds amazing!  How is your mom doing?  I'm sure things are especially hard this year.    

I have banished the goat, put dinner together (baked ravioli), and nearly finished the strawberry pretzel salad.  All the presents are wrapped except stocking things because I never wrap those.  I'll put them in the stockings tonight.

Need to go finish the dessert and maybe make the pudding for tomorrow's trifle.  Don't let me forget to put together the bread pudding for Christmas breakfast!  We'll need to leave in about 3 hours for the Christmas Eve service.

• Like 3

We lunched, and I fetched the cinnamon rolls from the bakery while DS and DH made the gingerbread cookies and vanilla ice cream. Then I set the table; DH is prepping dinner (vegetarian "crab" cakes + roasted sweet potatoes with cranberries). Online church is at 4 (his) and then 5 (mine), so we will try to get dinner to finish cooking while we watch. Then after dinner, it's hanging up stockings & bedtime.

Merry Christmas, ITT!

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Krissi, your bread sounds amazing!  How is your mom doing?  I'm sure things are especially hard this year.    

I have banished the goat, put dinner together (baked ravioli), and nearly finished the strawberry pretzel salad.  All the presents are wrapped except stocking things because I never wrap those.  I'll put them in the stockings tonight.

Need to go finish the dessert and maybe make the pudding for tomorrow's trifle.  Don't let me forget to put together the bread pudding for Christmas breakfast!  We'll need to leave in about 3 hours for the Christmas Eve service.

My mom is doing all right, thanks for asking. I think she is lonely. When my dad first passed it was, I think a bit of a relief, because His health was bad and it is just very hard being a caregiver. Also, his dementia made him not a very nice person at times. But now, that some time has passed and she has gotten some rest, I think she really really misses him. They were married 61 years.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

We're hanging at dds apartment while dh finishes making dinner. We are having lasagna with a million layers of noodles, multiple cheeses, pork and ground beef.   And garlic bread.   Dd works until 630 so we won't be eating until 7ish but that's not an unusual time for us.  MIL and mom would probably prefer to eat earlier. 

• Like 5

Dh told MIL that for all of us to go to her house this weekend (current plan), the dog has to come.  We don't have anyone to watch him since my mom moved.   If the dog can't come, I stay home.  Judging by how much the dog is annoying MIL, I think I'm probably staying home.  🤣😂

Going to dds I had to ride in back with the kids. It was 20 minutes. MIL is 2 1/2 hours plus the dog.  If I do go, we'd better arrange things so the third row can be unfolded for one of the kids. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

(((Slachey))) The holidays make crazy come out full force.  I wonder who is supposed to be imagining grudges in this scenario? Lol.

What bugs me more is "the family that loves you" and "I still love you and the kids". She will never get passed the idea that he is not coming to live with her without me. She's stopped explicitly saying it, but everything is worded that way. I was always trash to her, but she's stopped putting effort into hiding it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Everything is done. Cleaning, cookies, wrapping and stockings. We let the kids open their books tonight so they could read them. Percy Jackson, Ronald Dahl, superhero readers and Dr. Seuss board books. Tomorrow is breakfast pizza and cantaloupe, presents, walk, dinner, movie, bed. We have lazy holidays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I got the baked french toast (i.e. bread pudding) put together and in the fridge and stuff put in stockings.  Our stockings hang on the front window curtain rods since we don't have a fireplace.  It is so warm out that I put on the air conditioning.  It's almost midnight here so I should probably get to sleep.

Tomorrow we'll "open" stockings, have breakfast, putz around, make the Christmas trifle and lefse, and open presents after dinner when dd23 gets here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In line with my yearly tradition, I share a "New Mexican Night Before Christmas" (by anonymous)

‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through la casa,
Not a creature was stirring – Caramba! Que pasa?
Los niños were tucked away in their camas,
Some in vestidos and some in pajamas.

While Mama worked late in her little cocina,
El viejo was down at the corner cantina.
While hanging the stockings con mucho cuidado,
In hopes that old Santa would feel obligado
To bring all children, both buenos y malos,
A nice batch of dulces and other regalos.

Outside in the yard there arose such a grito,
That I jumped to my feet like a frightened cabrito.
I ran to the window and looked out afuera,
And who in the world do you think that que era?

Saint Nick in a sleigh and a big red sombrero,
Came dashing along like a crazy bombero!
And pulling his sleigh instead of venados,
Were eight little burros approaching volados.

I watched as they came and this quaint little hombre
was shouting and whistling and calling by nombre:
“Ay Pancho! Ay Pepe! Ay Cuco! Ay Beto!
Ay Chato! Ay Chopo! Maruca y Nieto!”

Then standing erect with his hands on his pecho,
He flew to the top of our very own techo.
With his round little belly like a bowl of jalea,
He struggled to squeeze down our old chiminea.

Then huffing and puffing at last in our sala,
With soot smeared all over his real suit de gala.
He filled all the stockings with lovely regalos –
For none of the niños had been muy malos.

Then chuckling aloud, seeming muy contento,
He turned like a flash and was gone like the viento.
And I heard him exclaim, and this is verdad,
Merry Christmas to all, and Feliz Navidad!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I just want to say that while I really like the carol "Bring a Torch Jeannette Isabella", it isn't really a good song to sing as a congregational sing-a-long. 

I hadn't heard of this song. I'll have to listen to it at a decent hour, instead of 2am.

Good night all!

• Like 3

Merry Christmas! The kids want to do their half hour of Saturday game time before they open gifts. They're so weird. Also, they didn't get up until almost 8:30 because they were reading their new books.

5 hours ago, Renai said:

In line with my yearly tradition, I share a "New Mexican Night Before Christmas" (by anonymous)

‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through la casa,
Not a creature was stirring – Caramba! Que pasa?
Los niños were tucked away in their camas,
Some in vestidos and some in pajamas.

While Mama worked late in her little cocina,
El viejo was down at the corner cantina.
While hanging the stockings con mucho cuidado,
In hopes that old Santa would feel obligado
To bring all children, both buenos y malos,
A nice batch of dulces and other regalos.

Outside in the yard there arose such a grito,
That I jumped to my feet like a frightened cabrito.
I ran to the window and looked out afuera,
And who in the world do you think that que era?

Saint Nick in a sleigh and a big red sombrero,
Came dashing along like a crazy bombero!
And pulling his sleigh instead of venados,
Were eight little burros approaching volados.

I watched as they came and this quaint little hombre
was shouting and whistling and calling by nombre:
“Ay Pancho! Ay Pepe! Ay Cuco! Ay Beto!
Ay Chato! Ay Chopo! Maruca y Nieto!”

Then standing erect with his hands on his pecho,
He flew to the top of our very own techo.
With his round little belly like a bowl of jalea,
He struggled to squeeze down our old chiminea.

Then huffing and puffing at last in our sala,
With soot smeared all over his real suit de gala.
He filled all the stockings with lovely regalos –
For none of the niños had been muy malos.

Then chuckling aloud, seeming muy contento,
He turned like a flash and was gone like the viento.
And I heard him exclaim, and this is verdad,
Merry Christmas to all, and Feliz Navidad!

I read this last night and John wants to memorize it.

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We wish you a Merry Booya(h)!   
We wish you a Merry Booya(h)!    
We wish you a Merry Booya(h) and a Happy Booya(h)!  (Tex)

image.png

Still one of my faves!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Presents are done and kids are back in their rooms.   Nothing was a huge hit, evidently fandoms have changed in the past month.  Plus they had nothing on their lists, except dd wanted an old game for the Wii U that we would need to get a hardcopy (not digital) since our WiiU isn't hooking to wifi anymore, and a used copy of this game is over $100 with no guarantees it will work.  So we're going to see if prices come down now that holidays are over or if we can get access to a WiiU gamepad. 

Dd did get a phone since ds will be taking the "house" phone on campus with him and she liked that.  She also got some clothes she wanted and a stuffed sloth hot pad for cramps.  Ds is getting a bank account and debit card and is happy about that.  

I got a new laptop and I am VERY happy about that.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Presents are done and kids are back in their rooms.   Nothing was a huge hit, evidently fandoms have changed in the past month.  Plus they had nothing on their lists, except dd wanted an old game for the Wii U that we would need to get a hardcopy (not digital) since our WiiU isn't hooking to wifi anymore, and a used copy of this game is over $100 with no guarantees it will work.  So we're going to see if prices come down now that holidays are over or if we can get access to a WiiU gamepad. 

Dd did get a phone since ds will be taking the "house" phone on campus with him and she liked that.  She also got some clothes she wanted and a stuffed sloth hot pad for cramps.  Ds is getting a bank account and debit card and is happy about that.  

I got a new laptop and I am VERY happy about that.  

Which game do your kids want? We just got a used WiiU to replace our broken Wii.  It came with some games that we don't want.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Junie said:

Which game do your kids want? We just got a used WiiU to replace our broken Wii.  It came with some games that we don't want.

Rhythm Heaven Fever.    I'll gladly buy it for whatever you want if it's under $100.  It's a $19.99 game in the digital version.  🙄

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Merry Christmas!!

Presents have been opened. iTired. DH and I stayed up too late last night wrapping presents and watching White Christmas. Off to my mom’s in an hour or so. 
Last night we spent a very pleasant evening at my Aunt and Uncle’s house. His family is very musical, so we had a lovely oboe/bassoon/viola/piano concert. And we sang some Christmas carols.

• Like 3