Menu

What's with the ads?

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

How did it go? Did you use 50/50 whole milk and heavy whipping cream? I'm wondering what ratio of milk to cream will taste best. Imma surprise Oldest with this. He's gonna love it! 

I just used heavy whipping cream because it's what was available at the store, creamy, and what my stomach can handle. We're going to experiment with flavors (Gymnast and I) over the weekend.

ps. Oooohhhh, creamy ice cream BOOYA!

Edited by Renai
B.O.O.Y.A.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Well, I obviously have too much time on my hands. Also could be I caught a mild GI bug that has me not feeling all that great and wanting to lay around, but I started reading “The Talented Mr. Ripley” by Patricia Highsmith yesterday and finished it this evening. It’s a good book. A little creepy, but good.

Last year I got only 18 books read for my Reading Challenge for the entire year. And only a few of those I really liked. This year I’ve read 21 so far and most of them Have been really good.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

My children get up too early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Morning. We got rain yesterday. That was good. We really needed it. More rain today? Hoping so. The garden is huge and pretty much all we did yesterday until the rain came was tote water.

Harvested a few watermelons yesterday, and my tomatoes are covered with green things. I have a feeling that a month of trying to do something with a tomato glut is right around the corner. 

We also have multiple giant pumpkins this year. Two of them are probably over 40 pounds already.

20200702_131400.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I just lost all of my open tabs in chrome. 😞

sigh.  I tried to recover them (about 30) and I hit the wrong thing.  Poof.  They're gone.

• Sad 6

Morning. I decided to polish my nails and all my nail polish was completely dried up and I had to borrow some from dd.   I have one eye liner, one mascara and some tinted chapstick.  And that's about the extent of my makeup.  And most of that is older than it probably should be.  I don't think I've worn makeup in over a year. 

I'm moving stuff from the science center into a storage unit today.  Trying to make room to space seats out more on the chance we are actually going to open in September.  I"m very frustrated because the news is making me feel very pessimistic about our chances, but I have to act as if we are opening until more information is available.  I kind of hate uncertainty, especially when it involves money and lots of work that may lead to nothing.   I asked dh his gut feeling on it yesterday and he couldn't even make a guess, it's that crazy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Good morning!

Krissi, I am reading the Diana Mosley bio and just got the other one you mentioned (Castles Burning) from the library.  Dd21 has a book she just finished she says I should read - can't remember what it's called.

I think the kids are going busking this morning before it gets too hot.  I might make jam if the peaches are ripe.  We decided on the Independence Day feast - burgers and brats, potato salad, lettuce salad, pineapple, Rainier cherries, and cherry pie.  I hope the pineapple I got is decent.  It's not easy to get really good pineapples here.

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Made coffee. Drank a super tall glass of ice cold water while waiting on the coffee. Made a big macaroni salad to take to a friend's this afternoon/evening and got Oldest started on short school. Temp is already rising so I've only managed to drink half a cup of coffee. I might try it over ice, but in a travel mug with a straw to keep the ice from hurting my teeth. I need a little caffeine this morning. Yes, children wake up too early. Youngest woke at O'dark thirty and went downstairs thinking it was time to play. DH heard him running around and had to go chase him down and get him back to sleep. I THINK that was around 4:30 but things are still a bit blurry so I could be wrong.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

Critter, how do you keep squirrels and other creatures from eating all your corn before you can harvest it?

• Like 2

The Empress set a boss baby record last night. Awake for four hours straight for no other reason than that she wanted to play. “Nighttime is stupid.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I frump it so hard my last trimester I have a reaction postpartum and feel a strong urge to gussy myself up. I went to the park yesterday in eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, tinted lipgloss, earrings, and with my hair and nails did. I liked toplay dress up with makeup as a kid and I guess I stilldo. Sparkly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!! DH is home for the holiday weekend. We’re going to DH’s sister’s house for a bbq tomorrow. Not a big bbq. Just us and them.

Yay, Susan, for reading the Diana Mosley book. Fascinating person. I love Anne de Courcey’s writing. “Castles Burning” is just..... it’ll suck you in. Her writing is amazing.

• Like 2

We have just reached the end of the toilet paper supply that I had purchased before the craziness began.

Apparently I was a toilet paper hoarder before it was trendy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

We have just reached the end of the toilet paper supply that I had purchased before the craziness began.

Apparently I was a toilet paper hoarder before it was trendy.

I was an unintentional hoarder, too. I’d go to Costco and think, “hmm, do we need Softsoap? I’ll just get some” and there’d be like 3 bottles under the sink. Now I’m glad I did that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Little girls are so funny and cute. Last night I was tucking Baby in and she was showing me her stuffed animals and Chewy, her blanket that she used to chew on as an infant. And then she showed me how all her stuffed animals had a blanket and how Chewy had her own blanket. And I just thought it was so funny, her blanket had a blanket, What is it about blankets that are so comforting?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Yay, Susan, for reading the Diana Mosley book. Fascinating person. I love Anne de Courcey’s writing. “Castles Burning” is just..... it’ll suck you in. Her writing is amazing.

You know you might have a slightly fascinating life when Winston Churchill offers to give you a lift and drop you off in Paris on his way to meet with Mussolini!  

• Haha 4

I have enough ripe peaches for the three batches of jam.  Well, 2 peach and 1 peach-raspberry.  I peeled, pitted, chopped, and blended them, but will wait to make the jam until after lunch.  The kids are downtown busking and will probably be coming home soon - not a ton of foot traffic today.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Little girls are so funny and cute. Last night I was tucking Baby in and she was showing me her stuffed animals and Chewy, her blanket that she used to chew on as an infant. And then she showed me how all her stuffed animals had a blanket and how Chewy had her own blanket. And I just thought it was so funny, her blanket had a blanket, What is it about blankets that are so comforting?

Snuggling. 🥰

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I was an unintentional hoarder, too. I’d go to Costco and think, “hmm, do we need Softsoap? I’ll just get some” and there’d be like 3 bottles under the sink. Now I’m glad I did that.

I wish I did that with useful things like TP and soap.  Instead, I have 4 unopened jars of cinnamon. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The jam is done.  I feel like I should have more than 9&1/2 pints of jam for all that work.  Oh well.  Imma hide in my dark, cool bedroom for a while.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Ed Po:

So, I secretly want dd to take US History through our local tutorial - I'll think she'll give it more effort.  But in the mean time, I'm still reading The American Pageant.  And this is really interesting, imho.  I have the 6th edition (from my own highschool years) and the 12th edition (recently bought, used, not the most current edition, btw).  I just read the Cold War chapter in the 12th edition and several times found myself thinking "Huh, that's an interesting take."  And also rolled my eyes a few times.  So, this afternoon I was trying to compare it with the Cold War chapter in the 6th edition on a shallow level (I really need to read the chapter in the 6th edition more slowly for comparison).  But even on a shallow level, there is a drastic difference in the interpretation of US and Soviet actions.  Drastic.  There is also attention paid (in the 12th edition) to Truman recognizing Israel as a nation as the source of all future middle eastern woes.  (Lots more eye-rolling).  So, if we do end up doing this at home, we might have to switch editions after WWII, lol.  Or at least read parts of both.  Won't that be fun to schedule.  #followmeformorefunhistoryprojects

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Ed Po:

So, I secretly want dd to take US History through our local tutorial - I'll think she'll give it more effort.  But in the mean time, I'm still reading The American Pageant.  And this is really interesting, imho.  I have the 6th edition (from my own highschool years) and the 12th edition (recently bought, used, not the most current edition, btw).  I just read the Cold War chapter in the 12th edition and several times found myself thinking "Huh, that's an interesting take."  And also rolled my eyes a few times.  So, this afternoon I was trying to compare it with the Cold War chapter in the 6th edition on a shallow level (I really need to read the chapter in the 6th edition more slowly for comparison).  But even on a shallow level, there is a drastic difference in the interpretation of US and Soviet actions.  Drastic.  There is also attention paid (in the 12th edition) to Truman recognizing Israel as a nation as the source of all future middle eastern woes.  (Lots more eye-rolling).  So, if we do end up doing this at home, we might have to switch editions after WWII, lol.  Or at least read parts of both.  Won't that be fun to schedule.  #followmeformorefunhistoryprojects

Hmmm, that is interesting that history changes so much. I think you hit it on their head with the term “interpretation”.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I wish I did that with useful things like TP and soap.  Instead, I have 4 unopened jars of cinnamon. 😂

Maybe they will find that cinnamon is a cure for COVID and you will be way ahead of all of us.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Critter, how do you keep squirrels and other creatures from eating all your corn before you can harvest it?

You didn’t plant the corn specifically for the squirrels?  How rude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

We're watching Aquaman. There is pizza.

I want to come. For the pizza. Don’t care about aqua man. 

• Like 2

Just now, Another Lynn said:

I did not expect to like it. I assumed it would be very basic and rely on the actor, but it's a good story with lots of attention to detail. It needs better directing, but it's pretty good.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

6 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I'll pick you up on the way.  Be there in 4 hours. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It seems a construction company was given permission by the city to put on a fireworks show tonight not far from our house.  We're going to take a walk over to the soccer fields and see if we can see them from there. 😊

• Like 4

I got one of those light  flag thingies. They are popular on our neighborhood.dH is putting it up. Now I can be one of the cool kids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I gave the cats their flea treatments today. I needed to say that so I could feel like I accomplished something.

• Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I did not expect to like it. I assumed it would be very basic and rely on the actor, but it's a good story with lots of attention to detail. It needs better directing, but it's pretty good.

Plus laser sharks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Plus laser sharks. 

No.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I got one of those light  flag thingies. They are popular on our neighborhood.dH is putting it up. Now I can be one of the cool kids.

Oh, thanks for reminding me - I bought some star string lights at Aldi I can put up.  And we have flags and flag banners around here somewhere.

• Like 1

We got burgers from the cafe    down town and watched Despicable Me for Family Movie Night.

Here’s our light flag....

C3C9ED47-6916-4C96-B6AC-8C4D644A5F80.jpeg

• Like 4

Light flags are very popular this year. One street in our subdivision has one on every house almost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For all y'all, who might not get to see fireworks tonight. (From the fireworks last night with the 1812 Overture playing from my phone 😄 )

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Light flags are very popular this year. One street in our subdivision has one on every house almost.

Reminds me of Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.  Funny and a sweet story.  (I think it was made into a movie? - not sure if it follows the book closely or not.)

• Like 3

Morning.  Happy 4th.   Meeting dd for workout this morning, then working at the science center, then my mom and maybe dd are coming over for a bbq.  

I got a storage unit yesterday to start moving some stuff out of the science center so I can rearrange to be more socially distanced.   I have people coming in to interview starting Monday and I want it more cleaned up before then.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Slache said:

I liked Aquaman.  "Permission to come aboard". 

I don't think there are any official fireworks going on around here.   Probably will be some private ones going off.

• Like 3