Menu

71 in summer and I sometimes put on a hoodie and sometimes feel like I'm sweating like crazy, 68 in the winter and same deal.   The sweating is a new thing now that I'm old, I was always wearing hoodies. 

Morning.   Another day another whatever.

• Like 3
  • Replies 205.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

Good morning!

I kept having dreams that the Giant Black Ants were gnawing on me in my sleep.  

I have to drive to the Big City AFSA to get a stupid Pick-up order that I didn't Notice they'd changed to that location and then they cancelled 2/3 of it.  And since they cancelled all those items, I only actually want 1 thing, which is now available at my local afsa, but somehow it doesn't appear that they will let me cancel anything now that it's waiting and paid for.  Lord help me.  I may need to be rescued by the ENB.  

Library pick-up after that.  Dh and ds25 have half-day of work today and tomorrow off.

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
41 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I have to drive to the Big City AFSA to get a stupid Pick-up order that I didn't Notice they'd changed to that location and then they cancelled 2/3 of it.  And since they cancelled all those items, I only actually want 1 thing, which is now available at my local afsa, but somehow it doesn't appear that they will let me cancel anything now that it's waiting and paid for.  Lord help me.  I may need to be rescued by the ENB.  

Library pick-up after that.  Dh and ds25 have half-day of work today and tomorrow off.

Coffee!

Thank you. I was actually considering venturing into the wide world of setting up an afsa pick-up for the first time today but you just brought me back to reality. Not happening.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Why was 2019 afraid of 2020?  Because they had a fight and 2021.

#dadjokes

Imma tell this one to Oldest so he can retell it to DH tonight for a good laugh.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Morning! I had a face to face Dr appt yesterday and all went well. Doesn't matter when I go into labor now, they won't stop it. The hospital changed its policy this week and will now allow 2 people in the delivery room with me. This could still change as it gets updated each week, but it's encouraging.

Yay!

33 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I feel icky/crampy this morning. Coffee is not tasting so great, but super cold water (no ice) is tasting like the most wonderful drink on earth.

Yay?  Maybe soon?

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Junie said:

Yay!

Yay?  Maybe soon?

IDK. Due date isn't for another 3 weeks, but Dr said at this point if I go into labor, they won't attempt to stop it. I have another IRL appt and ultrasound in 2 weeks.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Morning! I had a face to face Dr appt yesterday and all went well. Doesn't matter when I go into labor now, they won't stop it. The hospital changed its policy this week and will now allow 2 people in the delivery room with me. This could still change as it gets updated each week, but it's encouraging.

Yay!

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Coffee!

Don't believe the hype. You absolutely can and should cancel it and get a refund. 

11 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

@Renai How is Dancer doing?

She is tired. And hot. And crampy. And apparently, still on call at her job even though she's on bedrest.

I get to make ice cream in a bag 5 times in a row today from 9:30am-12:00pm. Yay me. Gymnast gets to help; she's excited about that.

I'm already tired and feel like I'm falling asleep. But I need to prepare the bags of ice because there won't be enough time between classes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got another computer for Gymnast, since she'll need one once we turn in the school thing. Besides the school one has stupid blocks on it and she can't access some classes. 

Shhhh, don't tell her it's hers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Renai said:

Don't believe the hype. You absolutely can and should cancel it and get a refund. 

She is tired. And hot. And crampy. And apparently, still on call at her job even though she's on bedrest.

I get to make ice cream in a bag 5 times in a row today from 9:30am-12:00pm. Yay me. Gymnast gets to help; she's excited about that.

I'm already tired and feel like I'm falling asleep. But I need to prepare the bags of ice because there won't be enough time between classes.

Sad for Dancer. Doesn't sound like her employer is very supportive of growing families. I'm glad she and the baby are doing alright. I'm with her on the hot and crampy, right now. Tired too, but I think Youngest has just as much to do with that as the baby.

I've never made ice cream in a bag. Does it really work/taste good? Oldest might enjoy learning to do this.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Sad for Dancer. Doesn't sound like her employer is very supportive of growing families. I'm glad she and the baby are doing alright. I'm with her on the hot and crampy, right now. Tired too, but I think Youngest has just as much to do with that as the baby.

I've never made ice cream in a bag. Does it really work/taste good? Oldest might enjoy learning to do this.

Yeah, the ice cream comes out good; we did a practice run last night. I have a vague memory of doing it before, but don't remember well. I bought a bunch of heavy whipping cream so it would be creamier, but a lot of recipes say to use half and half, which works just as well. Here is the recipe site I passed on to the parents in my classes: https://www.thebestideasforkids.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Coffee!

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thank you. I was actually considering venturing into the wide world of setting up an afsa pick-up for the first time today but you just brought me back to reality. Not happening.

I ended up doing it anyway because they won't ship the baby wipes and can have everything ready for pickup today. I ordered a box of diapers and wipes for when baby comes home along with nursing pads and personal stuff I'll need for aftercare that I don't think DH would get right if I sent him to the store. Now I can breathe and relax with the peace of mind knowing we have the necessities on hand no matter when baby arrives.

• Like 3

Mmmm. I think I just ate my weight in watermelon. Between this and the amount of cold water I've been chugging today, there's no fear of dehydration here. I might win the record for number of trips a person can take to the bathroom in a single hour, though. 🤣

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Afternoon. It's hot. It's really hot. I'm seriously thinking it's time to just grab the dog clippers and give myself a buzz cut. Think of all the shampoo I would save!  But I think my head has funny bumps and I'd get sunburned on top of my head, and that would hurt really bad. 

Been out watering the garden today. It's full on water brigade--all the time. Just almost constant right now. We badly need a good soaking rain to make the water stay, but what with all the thirsty plants like the squash and the melons, it's just hard to keep everything properly hydrated. But we are taking it in shifts, and maybe that will work until we can get a storm or two.

• Like 3

Well, I survived the Big City AFSA and used the newfangled Orange Pick-Up Tower without crying.  Today in pre-story ukulele singing time, we sang Yellow Submarine and Sea of Love.  Not one complaint today!   I need to practice mandolin and read my book a bit.  Already, I have thought of 3 things that need to be done first, which may mean I'll not get around to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ed Po:  I've been reading (sometime skimming) chapters in a US History textbook so I can come up with a couple short answer questions for each chapter.  I started with the chapter before the Civil War (I just could not stomach starting at the beginning) and I'm up to the New Deal.  I think I started doing this on Tuesday?  At some point I'll circle back to the beginning.  Or I'll quit and just say "Summarize the most interesting aspect of this time period."  😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Well, I survived the Big City AFSA and used the newfangled Orange Pick-Up Tower without crying.  Today in pre-story ukulele singing time, we sang Yellow Submarine and Sea of Love.  Not one complaint today!   I need to practice mandolin and read my book a bit.  Already, I have thought of 3 things that need to be done first, which may mean I'll not get around to them.

What I THOUGHT would be curbside pickup is actually go inside to the tower and scan your barcode. Not what I was expecting, but still not as bad as having to walk (ahem, waddle) to every far corner of the store to get each item on my own. The tower thingy is right there when you walk inside the front door.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Ed Po:  I've been reading (sometime skimming) chapters in a US History textbook so I can come up with a couple short answer questions for each chapter.  I started with the chapter before the Civil War (I just could not stomach starting at the beginning) and I'm up to the New Deal.  I think I started doing this on Tuesday?  At some point I'll circle back to the beginning.  Or I'll quit and just say "Summarize the most interesting aspect of this time period."  😆

I feel you. I just created worksheet #7, which means I'm done for week 4 of... maybe 33 weeks of this stuff. I'm using The Writing Revolution methods, alternating between topics in the physics book and the history book. I may throw in some Spanish at some point.

Are we there yet??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I feel you. I just created worksheet #7, which means I'm done for week 4 of... maybe 33 weeks of this stuff. I'm using The Writing Revolution methods, alternating between topics in the physics book and the history book. I may throw in some Spanish at some point.

Are we there yet??

What history are you covering next year :peeks over shoulder to copy:  😜

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Are we there yet??

I haven't even started yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, people. It’s the beginning of July. No EdPos. No lesson planning. Just floating around the swimming pool in dark sunglasses, a trashy novel and a tall glass of iced tea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, people. It’s the beginning of July. No EdPos. No lesson planning. Just floating around the swimming pool in dark sunglasses, a trashy novel and a tall glass of iced tea.

My family schools year round.  It needs to be done. 😉  Especially since I probably won't be able to plan during VBS. 😞

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
38 minutes ago, Junie said:

I'm trying to match up units of Apologia American Literature with Notgrass American History.  :svengo:

A friend of mine was thinking about using MasterBooks' Apologia's American History (without the accompanying American Lit. course) because it looks well planned, easy to implement, fairly independent.  She plans to add primary documents one day a week since it's scheduled for 4 days.  I'm sure you already have Notgrass though.  

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4
3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

A friend of mine was thinking about using Apologia's American History (without the accompanying American Lit. course) because it looks well planned, easy to implement, fairly independent.  She plans to add primary documents one day a week since it's scheduled for 4 days.  I'm sure you already have Notgrass though.  

Apologia has American History?

The Notgrass History has Literature built in, but I wanted more literature than what it was providing.  I bought the Apologia literature on a huge sale so we will use that with the Notgrass.  It's just taking some time to line everything up in a way that makes sense.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

A friend of mine was thinking about using Apologia's American History (without the accompanying American Lit. course) because it looks well planned, easy to implement, fairly independent.  She plans to add primary documents one day a week since it's scheduled for 4 days.  I'm sure you already have Notgrass though.  

16 minutes ago, Junie said:

Apologia has American History?

The Notgrass History has Literature built in, but I wanted more literature than what it was providing.  I bought the Apologia literature on a huge sale so we will use that with the Notgrass.  It's just taking some time to line everything up in a way that makes sense.

Oops no!  I lied!  It's MasterBooks.  I got it confused.  Sorry!!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

What history are you covering next year :peeks over shoulder to copy:  😜

Italian renaissance through early 1800s. Most of K12's Human Odyssey 2 with some U.S. supplements. And very possibly some other-English-speaking-countries supplements.

The science is Conceptual Physics.

These are tools to get the child to write actual paragraphs, which ought to be accomplished some time in the near future.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Junie said:

I'm trying to match up units of Apologia American Literature with Notgrass American History.  :svengo:

I didn't even know Apologia has an American Literature. Our Notgrass AtB arrived today and I'm planning on going through it and correcting the known mistakes/errors listed on their website.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I didn't even know Apologia has an American Literature. Our Notgrass AtB arrived today and I'm planning on going through it and correcting the known mistakes/errors listed on their website.

https://www.christianbook.com/page/homeschool/apologia/apologia-american-literature?event=Homeschool|1002236

I think it's discontinued.  Christianbook still has it in stock, though.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Renai said:

10 hours ago, Renai said:

Yeah, the ice cream comes out good; we did a practice run last night. I have a vague memory of doing it before, but don't remember well. I bought a bunch of heavy whipping cream so it would be creamier, but a lot of recipes say to use half and half, which works just as well. Here is the recipe site I passed on to the parents in my classes: https://www.thebestideasforkids.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag/

How did it go? Did you use 50/50 whole milk and heavy whipping cream? I'm wondering what ratio of milk to cream will taste best. Imma surprise Oldest with this. He's gonna love it! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Slache said:

School?

It's a thing to get children to stop asking questions you can't answer.

Then they ask questions you can answer and you get to make a check mark on the calendar.

Maybe that's just at my house?

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

OrganizationPo: Avert yer Eyeballs!

I just ordered myself a little bamboo make-up caddy.  I have never before had enough makeup to fill the orange and white striped makeup bag that I got free from Clinique over 25 years ago.  Alas, I seem to have picked up a few more items.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

How did it go? Did you use 50/50 whole milk and heavy whipping cream? I'm wondering what ratio of milk to cream will taste best. Imma surprise Oldest with this. He's gonna love it! 

We used half & half and it turned out great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I picked up my afsa online pickup order at the orange tower of doom. Not complicated, but a pain to wait for an associate to come over without knowing if one was coming at all. And no chairs to sit and wait or anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

OrganizationPo: Avert yer Eyeballs!

I just ordered myself a little bamboo make-up caddy.  I have never before had enough makeup to fill the orange and white striped makeup bag that I got free from Clinique over 25 years ago.  Alas, I seem to have picked up a few more items.

Does chapstick count? I think I still have a slightly used tube of lipstick that I bought specifically for my wedding (a bazillion years ago) in my bathroom drawer, but no other makeup to speak of. Not even nail polish.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

We used half & half and it turned out great!

I think this is what I'll do, then. Easier anyway. I just wanna make sure it works and doesn't taste like vanilla dairy ice slush, kwim.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I just used heavy whipping cream because it's what was available at the store, creamy, and what my stomach can handle. We're going to experiment with flavors (Gymnast and I) over the weekend.

ps. Oooohhhh, creamy ice cream BOOYA!

Edited by Renai
B.O.O.Y.A.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3