Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

I cancelled pup's vet appointment.  He seems fine.  

Please pray for dd19 who is going for her last driving session and driving test this morning!  Imma go grocery shopping in the meantime to distract myself.

I had forgotten about dd23's stance on Die Hard Christmas Movie Status.  She votes no and I am sad.  Lol.  Don't forget to applaud the string quartet at the beginning of the movie.  They are actually playing.  It's wonderful.

Coffee!

• Like 6

Morning. I've got a sickly dog this morning, too. It's her usual digestive disturbance, and seems to relate to her diabetes and I think she sometimes has a low-grade pancreatitis going on even if the tests don't say so. Anyway, that's my day and probably tomorrow spoken for. We were going to go hiking, but now probably not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Humph Day!! Though not really. Technically yes, but the week before Christmas is always just kind of weird.

Lots to do today. I got peppernuts (Mennonite Christmas cookies) and chocolate crinkles with mint chips on the fridge chilling. I need to bake those today. I was going to make fudgy oatmeal bars, but I don’t have milk chocolate chips. Toto’s tales of horror are kind of making me leery of going to the store, but I also need eggs. The little Mexican market down the street will likely be all right. I also want to make pinwheels and checkerboards (cookies) which are so-so on the taste, but very very pretty.

So, according to Renai’s recipe, I don’t make salsa. I don’t boil the tomatoes or put them in the blender. I make pico de Gallo, (which I knew) instead. I finely chop up tomatoes and onion, add salt, pepper, garlic, vinegar, finely chopped fresh jalapeño, and cilantro. And let sit for a hour or two. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I cancelled pup's vet appointment.  He seems fine.  

Please pray for dd19 who is going for her last driving session and driving test this morning!  Imma go grocery shopping in the meantime to distract myself.

I had forgotten about dd23's stance on Die Hard Christmas Movie Status.  She votes no and I am sad.  Lol.  Don't forget to applaud the string quartet at the beginning of the movie.  They are actually playing.  It's wonderful.

Coffee!

I didn't know Die Hard was a debate. We don't watch it during Christmas, but you got me all over google reading about it. 🙄

18 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So, according to Renai’s recipe, I don’t make salsa. I don’t boil the tomatoes or put them in the blender. I make pico de Gallo, (which I knew) instead. I finely chop up tomatoes and onion, add salt, pepper, garlic, vinegar, finely chopped fresh jalapeño, and cilantro. And let sit for a hour or two. 

Yes, we also make pico de gallo for some things. I like mine on eggs...and lots of other foods. I love pico de gallo. And it's so quick and easy to chop up a few veggies and make. Vinegar takes the place of the lime, so either can be used. We use lime. I'm so happy to see you don't add all those other unnecessary spices I see on googled recipes. Just nice, fresh, rooster beak (did ya'll know that's the literal translation of pico de gallo? 🤣).

Imma do this.

Please add some type of chile (pepper). Sorry I forgot to mention it. It goes in the water with the tomatoes, lol! Otherwise, you have tomato sauce. 🤦🏾‍♀️

Since we're on the subject of sauce, enchilada sauce is also simple to make. You just need dried chile pods. Boil those with onion and garlic, blend, strain, salt. It doesn't taste like can. And it's a lot cheaper. A few chile pods goes a long way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I should start getting ready to go. I scheduled both pickups (two different stores, one is AFSA) during the same hour, 9-10. One order is bigger than the other, but there's no ham! NO HAM!  What I really wanted was ribeye steak, but with Dancer et all coming, that would have been too expensive. So ham, it is.

• Like 3

Ok - I have done morning routine phase 1 (which still includes sitting on my butt while sipping the aforementioned bone broth).

But now it's time for morning routine phase 2 which is definitely a butt moving phase. 

(I said butt twice.   Someone get Krissi the smelling salts!) 

BTW - I have gotten to the top of Duolingo's rankings and I'm in a cutthroat tournament.  It's very stressful and as soon as I pass this week's round  and get the coveted badge I'm gonna give myself a break! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I've been posting in the 2021 review/2022 looking forward thing and it's been interesting and making me think about things I wouldn't normally think about. Today was "stepping out of your comfort zone". I said "I don't want to" and a bunch of people laughed, but I wasn't joking. I have spent the last 2 years so far outside of my comfort zone that if the earth was flat I'd have fallen off. I am spending the next year in my home, wrapped in blankets, surrounded by piles of money and chocolate. I am unwilling to do this any other way.

The threads have actually been really reassuring. I've kind of felt like my entire life is a chaotic mess, I have no idea what to do and everyone else has got it together. But the chat board this past month has clarified that everyone is as terrified as I am. I don't want anyone to be struggling, but it's comforting to know I'm not alone. I think we all just got so sick of talking about how hard it's been that we're not talking about it anymore, but it's still just as hard.

I feel like a fresh start is right around the corner though. Maybe this spring? I'm hoping.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Junie said:

I knew this.  Any idea why it's called that?  My kids asked a few weeks ago when I told them the translation.

I actually looked it up before you asked because I got curious. One story I've read is, it was originally eaten pinched between thumb and fingers, resembling a beak. I don't know if it's true though.

3 hours ago, Junie said:

I have never had mango salsa.

Neither have I.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Maybe I should watch a Hallmark Christmas movie while folding laundry.

Did you? What did you watch?

I survived the grocery store! And the mall where my post office box is (although I did wind up buying a nativity at a Peruvian store 🤦🏾‍♀️)! And the library! I'm home. And tired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I actually like pico de gallo better.  When it's made well and fresh.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Renai said:

I'm so happy to see you don't add all those other unnecessary spices I see on googled recipes. Just nice, fresh, rooster beak (did ya'll know that's the literal translation of pico de gallo? 🤣).

I did not know that.

I have trouble cooking with any kinds of peppers.  or onions.  They really really strongly irritate my eyes.  I can eat them if it's not too spicy but I do show signs of an allergy or intolerance if there's too much.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have started my morning routine.  (I'm at the sipping bone broth while taking meds and looking at ITT part of the routine.)

That's my morning routine too.  

Tea with honey and bone broth while looking at ITT.  And eating something because otherwise tea makes me nauseous. 

I have a lot of food issues. 😕

• Like 3

My dad and stepmom, who are constantly asking for money, but we don't trust stepmom to actually uses it for my dad's care sent us a Christmas card.   In it was a long note from stepmom.  I know dad's handwriting plus he's in a nursing home/rehab center at the moment.  Stepmom told my uncle she doesn't think he'll be coming home.  Nurse at center told uncle they had no expectation that he wouldn't go home.

The note talked about them getting Medicare and the home taking dad's social security so stepmom needs money to take care of household expenses since her social security isn't enough (plus her adult son gets SS).  Except that's not how it works.  And we know that's not how it works since dh just did all that for his mom and dad last year.  

And they sent us a check for $200.  In the same card as a letter asking for money.  🤷‍♀️

We were planning to send money as a Christmas gift but we're going to wait and see if we can visit dad next week.  I called the facility but nobody answered dad's room or the nursing station so I haven't been able to find out anything for myself.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I don't think it was Hallmark but it was called "A Castle for Christmas" on Netflix and it was bad. I got maybe halfway through and then couldn't take any more, lol.  Time to go start on dinner.

Oh, we saw that one too! Nice, sappy little movie. 😅 We watched until the end. (I have issues with not knowing what happens at the end, although it is all quite predictable. 🤣

• Like 2