Menu

Ignore this thread!

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Juggling is hard.  Especially with eggs.  Jean, you should practice juggling using floaty fabric squares.

I finished a book - a pretty quick, easy read, and very interesting - Born a Crime by Trevor Noah.  I will have to make up a category for this one.  Next up is The Midnight Library, recommended by Krissi.  I finally got my copy from the library.  I'll probably have to make up a category for this one as well.

The language in this book was a bit off-putting, but I thought it was very, very good!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Juggling is hard.  Especially with eggs.  Jean, you should practice juggling using floaty fabric squares.

I finished a book - a pretty quick, easy read, and very interesting - Born a Crime by Trevor Noah.  I will have to make up a category for this one.  Next up is The Midnight Library, recommended by Krissi.  I finally got my copy from the library.  I'll probably have to make up a category for this one as well.

I want to read that.  I looked for it at the used book store but they didn't have it.  Maybe because it's too new, maybe because I never actually found the modern biographies section. 

• Like 2

I spent the entire day lying in bed trying not to die of the flu. Mary spent the entire day lying on the couch trying not to die of the flu. John spent the entire day lying on the floor trying not to die of the flu. Alex is bored out of his mind. Isaac Turner and Hooched the house.

• Sad 6

I had a lovely time meeting AMJ.  Of course I felt like I already knew her because of ITT (here) and ITText (on my phone).  I was worried about going over the two mountain passes to get there but it turns out that the department of transportation made the road conditions sound worse than they were.  But I will report that I did not hit the suicidal deer even though she was as close as five feet from the front of my car as she darted in front of me on the highway.  And while the trip home in sheets of rain that made it hard to see even with my windshield wipers going their fastest, I obeyed the ITT law and did not die. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Morning Happy Friday.

It's cold and rainy here too.  Torrential rain and high winds are predicted for here this morning, easing off this afternoon.  Is predicted still the right word if it's happening right now?

I'm staying put with my tea and my hoodie until after lunch when I'll venture out to the science center to do some work.    My back hurts still so I'm going to try not to overdo things but there is some organizing I HAVE to get done.  I tore apart the cubes holding all the recyclable stuff up in our storage space and I have to put them away.  I think I'm putting them by type (as much as possible) in bins with lids that can stack.  The cubes were a lot of wasted space and we are short enough on space without wasting a bunch. 

This morning I'm planning classes.  I'm teaching Pre-K for the first time and early elementary (K to 2nd) for the first time in a couple years.  It's going to be fun.

• Like 4

Good morning!

We are having a slow start to the day because it is my middle ds's 17th birthday!  He requested biscuits and gravy, bacon, and berries for birthday breakfast.  I am stuffed.  Ds26 has a work meeting this morning, but otherwise we are all taking the day off.  Dd18 even has off work due to a scheduling change.  Ds17 said he'd like to go on a picnic for his birthday, so that's what we're doing for lunch.  Currently they are all having fun with the new video game that ds26 got him.  Dd12 is going to start on the birthday cake soon.  I'm ready for a nap.

Coffee!

• Like 6

Got a bunch done but called it a day on physical labor.  Back to sitting with a hot pad on my back.  

I did talk to the other store owner in my building who we discussed splitting the open space between us, but the landlords weren't getting back to us.   He's been talking to someone who works for the landlord about a refinance they are trying to do (trying to get us all to sign statements about our rent but they are all wrong), and mentioned again about the space.  Looks like we may have agreement on doing a 6 month starting in January, which would get me the space for the remainder of this year at least, and then we can review where we are at, if we want to continue with part of the space, move, get more, etc.  

So, once again fingers crossed. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I need suggestions on what to get my teachers for Christmas.   I want some thing, plus I'll either get gift cards or do a cash bonus.

I was thinking water bottles but I'm not sure.   Maybe something less obvious?

Any ideas? 

Science themed or personalized Christmas ornament?  Daily calendar - funny, origami, puzzle, word of the day, etc?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I decided that Born a Crime will be in the category "A Book Written By A South African", and The Midnight Library will be in the category "A Book About A Library".

There’s a “Book about a library” in the Challies Reading Challenge?? I didn’t see that.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I need suggestions on what to get my teachers for Christmas.   I want some thing, plus I'll either get gift cards or do a cash bonus.

I was thinking water bottles but I'm not sure.   Maybe something less obvious?

Any ideas? 

13 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Science themed or personalized Christmas ornament?  Daily calendar - funny, origami, puzzle, word of the day, etc?

I like Susan’s idea about a science themed Christmas ornament.

• Like 4

On 11/12/2021 at 12:12 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I had a lovely time meeting AMJ.  Of course I felt like I already knew her because of ITT (here) and ITText (on my phone).  I was worried about going over the two mountain passes to get there but it turns out that the department of transportation made the road conditions sound worse than they were.  But I will report that I did not hit the suicidal deer even though she was as close as five feet from the front of my car as she darted in front of me on the highway.  And while the trip home in sheets of rain that made it hard to see even with my windshield wipers going their fastest, I obeyed the ITT law and did not die. 

Stay off of treacherous roads. Don’t go swimming in the sea.

I’m glad you had a good time with AMJ. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For years I was operating in "emergencyk mode" with regards to my responsibilities due to the whole fibro thing.  Occasionally I could do one thing outside of that but clutter piled up because that didn't meet emergency mode status and forget about deep cleaning.  I wasn't anything like the hoarder shows but I wasn't happy in my home.  But now partly because I have more time as an empty nester but mostly because I am doing better healthwise, I am plugging away at all that.  The round robin thing I do has kept it from getting too overwhelming (though it still does if I peek beyond my blinders). 

I am insanely happy today that today I cleaned the wall next to the sliding glass door.  That has been bugging me for years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

The pumpkin cake that dd12 made for ds17's birthday yesterday is amazing.  Here's the recipe she made, though she left the caramel sauce on the side since ds doesn't like caramel all that much. (I know, right? I love the stuff.) She also decorated with pomegranate arils and it was perfect.

https://bromabakery.com/pumpkin-cake-with-cream-cheese-frosting/

I spent the morning with dd12 at a Scout thing - they were working on skills.  It took place at a local "in town" farm whose owner has basically opened his property and barns for a scout troop (not our particular troop) to use for camping and stuff.  The scouts have access to all kinds of wood and metal working tools, a radio station (built by scouts), and all kinds of cool stuff.  The land was given to the family 230+ years ago as part of a Revolutionary War land grant.  A road that went from Nashville to the south also went through the property that was used extensively in the Civil War.

I am pretty sure I am home for the day.  Gotta start on dinner soon.  Haven't done anything productive all day.  No, I take that back.  I picked up the yucky jack-o-lanterns and fed the chickens.

Dd15 just informed me that her fish has some kind of disease and we need to go buy some fish medicine.  Sigh.  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

For years I was operating in "emergencyk mode" with regards to my responsibilities due to the whole fibro thing.  Occasionally I could do one thing outside of that but clutter piled up because that didn't meet emergency mode status and forget about deep cleaning.  I wasn't anything like the hoarder shows but I wasn't happy in my home.  But now partly because I have more time as an empty nester but mostly because I am doing better healthwise, I am plugging away at all that.  The round robin thing I do has kept it from getting too overwhelming (though it still does if I peek beyond my blinders). 

I am insanely happy today that today I cleaned the wall next to the sliding glass door.  That has been bugging me for years. 

I can just imagine how excited I would be in your shoes!  In another year or two I hope to tell happy stories like this.  😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've registered for a Rick Steves Zoom thing when he'll be talking about his recent Tour du Mont Blanc hike.  Dh and I were planning to do this, potentially in 2023.  I think I'd still like to go at some point.  

In other news, I banished the goats and no longer smell like Scout Campfire, lol!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I've registered for a Rick Steves Zoom thing when he'll be talking about his recent Tour du Mont Blanc hike.  Dh and I were planning to do this, potentially in 2023.  I think I'd still like to go at some point.  

In other news, I banished the goats and no longer smell like Scout Campfire, lol!

I love campfires, but I seriously hate smelling like campfires.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I finished  “The Midnight Library”.  That was a very good and very unusual book!! It took me long to finish it because I lost it. And then I found it again.

“A Book by a European Author”. That’s what category I’m putting it in, Susan.  Matt Haig is British. That’s Europe, right? 

points for quoting myself.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Sunday!!!

Church!!️ I think this is collection day for the Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child boxes. 

It’s very foggy out this morning!!

I made this cinnamon crumb cake thingie for breakfast. Don’t get too excited, it’s from a box. Krusteaz.

Cats are crying to get let in.

• Like 3

I'm feeling a very great need to grab my phone and head off into the mountains for pictures of colored trees and dark water. I think I've talked one child into going. He's taking his fishing stuff, naturally.

I cleared 51,000 in my NaNoWriMo revisions goal (100,000). I only had one drafting thing and it wouldn't have gotten beyond 50,000, so I decided to revise two projects and be a rebel. Looks like I will make my goal of revising both books by the end of the month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4