Menu

Ignore this thread!

Next year I need to see if dd wants to do the NaNo thingy.  She's been writing fanfic online and some of it is actually pretty good.  She's gotten some very nice comments from people, which is nice.

ETA:  a writing booya.  I wanted a boredom booya

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm bored so I'm chatting here.  I'm hanging around again to answer questions and take payments but that only needs to happen at drop off/pick up times.  The rest of the time I'm bored.  I did some cleaning in our storage space, but to be available, I'm stuck sitting at my desk which is in one of the classrooms so I need to be quiet plus the teacher is doing luminescence projects this week so keeps turning out the lights.  😆

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I bought sheet protectors for my disc bound planner system and I can't find them anywhere.

I changed my planner to a notebook where I"m doing one page per day since I found my weekly pages in the planner weren't enough room for notes on stuff.  But I want to use the disc bound planner stuff to do a class notebook with rosters, etc.   But I want my sheet protectors.  And I can't find them.  And I will find them as soon as I buy more.  

Yes.  This is exactly how it works for me, too.

7 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Dd and I are going to a used book store in Connecticut next week.  Give me some book suggestions! 

What kinds of books do you like? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Always good to not die from Mucinex. Follow the rules and all.

Up, doing writing things. NaNo time and all. 

I have two doing NaNo this year - dd15 is determined and a little obsessed.  She's up to almost 6000 words already.

4 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

We joined the gym again.  The plan is to go every weekday and do different things (cardio some days, strength other days).   Tonight I have 4-H so won't be able to go but we went yesterday and Monday.

And I found I shouldn't do rowing machine until my collarbone and elbow are back to 100% and I probably shouldn't jog on the treadmill without wearing my ankle brace.  

I have always been fascinated by rowing machines.  I have a cousin who is on a rowing team.  She is in fabulous shape.  I am tempted to one day join a club so I can use one.  Alas and alack.

4 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Dd and I are going to a used book store in Connecticut next week.  Give me some book suggestions! 

Anything by Tim Powers - magical realism - very interesting stuff

One of my all time favorites, The Last Coin by James Blaylock (also magical realism and a friend of Tim Powers)

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz - funny detective series

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Local political candidate messaged me to tell me that he's ahead in the polls (which I knew).  But he's nervous because it's a close race.  I replied with encouraging remarks.  I never quite know how to respond to things like this since I was startled that he messaged me to begin with! 

Jeannie for President!  Vote ITT! The ONLY Party that Makes any Sense!

• Like 6

I was not required to appear for jury duty.

I decided a couple of days ago to stop drinking coffee most days (because I don't like it without sugar). I figured I'd just use up what I'd already made and not make more. But I happened to drink the last of it yesterday. Wednesday and Friday are our get-up-at-5-and-go-to-the-Y days (I've advised DH I won't go back after Thanksgiving), and this is one of the darkest weeks of the year. I am so, so, so tired. Maybe I will make an exception for days when I get up before 6.

I have no book suggestions. (My brain may have gone into power-saving mode.) I would just see what they have that looks interesting.

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What are other books she’s enjoyed recently?

Not much of anything.  Last thing I remember her reading for pleasure was Thea Stilton books. They are kind of a graphic novel with various large fonts thing.

She has trouble focusing and concentrating so graphic novels may be the way to go.

• Like 2

Last year at holiday time, was someone on here looking for ideas for activities to do at a holiday party that was requiring masks that couldn't be removed even to eat?  Maybe @Jean in Newcastle?

The December meeting for my 4-H clubs is a combined holiday party for both groups.  We will have kids from 1st grade through teenagers.  Our 4-H is run through Rutgers and they are extremely strict about masks being required at all times, both inside and outside, for any group activities.   We are trying to come up with things they can do that will be holiday party-like but aren't food related or at least food that can be nibbled through masks or taken home, like decorating cupcakes or something. 

I could swear I remember this topic being here last year.

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Last year at holiday time, was someone on here looking for ideas for activities to do at a holiday party that was requiring masks that couldn't be removed even to eat?  Maybe @Jean in Newcastle?

The December meeting for my 4-H clubs is a combined holiday party for both groups.  We will have kids from 1st grade through teenagers.  Our 4-H is run through Rutgers and they are extremely strict about masks being required at all times, both inside and outside, for any group activities.   We are trying to come up with things they can do that will be holiday party-like but aren't food related or at least food that can be nibbled through masks or taken home, like decorating cupcakes or something. 

I could swear I remember this topic being here last year.

Not me. 

But one idea:

Candy Cane Relay Race: For this activity, divide children into teams and provide each team with four candy canes. They must hang the candy canes over their fingers and hurry to pass them on to the next member in line, but without using their thumbs. If all four candy canes are broken, that team is eliminated from the race.  (Note:  I haven't done this so have no btdt advice.)

• Like 2

@Wheres Toto

9th grade is such a hard age regarding maturity.  I'm going to assume that your 9th grader is ready for more mature reading than my 10th grader and go from there.

Graphic Novels that I've enjoyed:

El Deafo -- I think dd15 read this one?  Someone did.  I don't own it yet, so I can't remember.

Boxers -- about the Boxer Rebellion in China; very good, but a bit gory  (I did not like the sequel, Saints)

Speak -- the graphic novel is much better than the original book.  Mature themes including r@pe.

Stories in Verse -- these are really good for short attention spans.

My favorites are more middle school level, but they are really good:

The Crossover by Kwame Alexander.  I've enjoyed several of his books

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson -- I liked this one a lot

Trevor Noah's biography Born a Crime is a fabulous book.  There are two versions -- I'm Trevor Noah is the cleaned-up version.

If you want some actual literature, there are a lot of really good short stories.

Pretty much anything by O. Henry is great.  Also, Edgar Allan Poe (although he tends to be a love him or hate him kind of author).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Local political candidate messaged me to tell me that he's ahead in the polls (which I knew).  But he's nervous because it's a close race.  I replied with encouraging remarks.  I never quite know how to respond to things like this since I was startled that he messaged me to begin with! 

That's because he knows you are ITT, the only party that makes sense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I made two (2!) phone calls, twice.  Nobody answered any of them.

40 minutes ago, Junie said:

Sorry.  I thought it was someone calling about the warranty on my car again.  I'll answer next time!

I thought it was Rachel, from Cardholder Services with important information about my credit card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I made chili-Mac from the Betty Crocker cookbook. It was good.

I should try making that some time.  Mountain House Chili Mac is widely considered the best backpacking meal available.  Alas, I, myself, have never had chili mac of any kind.   We had tomato bisque with dinner rolls.

• Like 2

So my "Chinese" chicken salad dressing was too strong.  So I added a bunch more shredded cabbage to spread out the dressing more.  That fixed it.

Then I had a leftover beef stew that I made the other day that didn't taste so good.  It called for some sweetener and I had left it all out in the interest of health and good blood sugars.  But today I mixed some in because I think that the acid needed some balancing.  Dh really liked it after I tweaked it. 

• Like 3

Wow, you gymed even earlier than I am.  Especially if you aren't EST like I am.

I'm heading out shortly to meet dd for our workout.  We are starting today to meet at a gym located between her apartment and my house.    We may have to tweak the time we meet to make sure I can get home, showered and to class on time.

• Like 5

Happy Friday. My last day of classes than I am off for a week!

Today is meeting dd at the gym (as previously mentioned), teaching one class, meeting with a new teacher (she's only teaching one class but it helps a ton), then I go get my booster shot, then I collapse to the couch and don't move. 

Tomorrow there's a memorial service for my aunt who died of Covid last year.   I'm hoping to feel up to going but we'll see how the booster hits me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was worried about running into my dad and stepmom at the memorial service.  They called a few time lately asking for money.  Didn't call to tell me dad was in the hospital again, didn't call to tell me he was in rehab for weeks, but called because they want money.  They say to help with the medical bills (he really should have medicare/medicaid) but don't want to tell me about where the accounts are so I can make payments directly. 

I was worried they would make a fuss at the memorial and obviously that wouldn't be the place for it, so I picked up one of the calls.   I told them we didn't have cash but could help some with credit and she basically started quizzing me on ways I should be able to get cash.    It seemed resolved, sort of, when we hung up so hopefully if we do see them there, it won't come up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I actually have a lot to do next week despite being "off".  Besides class prep, especially since I'm going to be covering a bunch of new classes.  Mostly little kid ones so not super complicated to prepare, just a matter of finding activities.  

Ds is going to start at CC in January so we need to do his application.  And I guess the FAFSA.  I hate the FAFSA.   I doubt we'll qualify for anything but I guess I should do it anyway?

I need to order picture calendars for grandparent gifts.  

I need to try some screen printing.  I bought a kit and I want to try and make tshirts. 

• Like 5