Menu

Ignore this thread!

On the bright side, registrations are looking good for next session.  Lots of people wanting to add classes.  I received a very nice message from a parent telling me how her kids were still talking about their classes at 7pm last night, super excited and telling everyone all about them.

ETA:  A nice booya.  I like this better than the possibility of some of my other posts being booyas. 

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ds is going to start taking classes at our community college in January.  Not DE, I'm going to "graduate" him, although I'll still make him do some stuff for me/at the science center.    I just finished his transcript, we don't have time for the SATs (they keep getting cancelled) but he should do fine on their placement tests, so I'm not too worried.   He's wanting more time with other people, and we're holding off on a job for now, so hopefully this will be a good experience for him.   He did a G/T summer camp for a few years at the university older dd graduated from, so classes aren't completely out of his experience.   He (and one of the other older students I have in classes) were asking me what CC classes would be like.  Strict? Homework?  Grades?  Etc.  And I basically had to tell them it depends.  It will vary dramatically from class to class.  I did advise them to make sure they listen the first day of class, read the syllabus carefully and keep it on hand to recheck, make sure they know what the general expectations for the class are.  

Any other advice for a kid having his first CC experience?  Especially a quirky, on the spectrum kid?

• Like 6

Toto, does he have any experience with taking notes during a lecture?  I know that was one thing my kids had to get used to after being homeschooled forever.

I know that ds21 really likes one note.  I showed him how to set it up with a different tab for each class and I think that really helped him.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

My lawyer is still in the hospital (but recovering) so my kids don't get to turn into Trust Fund Babies today, lol.  Ds16 passed his driver's test.  Svengo.  But thank the Lord.  Now for dd18.  I may have to push her just a little, but I just can't go taxiing her around like this for the next 3-1/2 years.  

I haven't heard back from that car broker guy.  He may have given up.  I don't want to go looking for a car, but I might have to put on my Big Girl Pants and do it anyway.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

My lawyer is still in the hospital (but recovering) so my kids don't get to turn into Trust Fund Babies today, lol.  Ds16 passed his driver's test.  Svengo.  But thank the Lord.  Now for dd18.  I may have to push her just a little, but I just can't go taxiing her around like this for the next 3-1/2 years.  

I haven't heard back from that car broker guy.  He may have given up.  I don't want to go looking for a car, but I might have to put on my Big Girl Pants and do it anyway.

Well, when she's a trust fund baby she can pay for a driver!

I hate car shopping. It always takes me 4 days. I don't know what I do wrong. Have you looked at carvana? I hear good things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Slache said:

Well, when she's a trust fund baby she can pay for a driver!

I hate car shopping. It always takes me 4 days. I don't know what I do wrong. Have you looked at carvana? I hear good things.

Sadly, my kids will be about the poorest trust fund babies ever.  Plus I have to die first, so hopefully it will be a long long time before she can hire a driver, lol.

I hate carvana because of their stupid car tower.  I don't know anything about them otherwise.  They might be perfectly wonderful.

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Susan - (or anyone else who knows!) - I just listened to a painful for me recording of an excellent guitarist who still had shrill squeaks from when he moved his fingers from fret to fret.  It made me wonder - are there ways to not make that noise?  Or to edit it out of a recording? 

I don't know - but I know the noise of which you speak.

• Thanks 1

It's 1am and I can't sleep.  I always sleep on my side but if I sleep on my right side, the pulled muscle by my collar bone hurts from the pressure.  If I lie on my left side, the pulled muscle in my back hurts.  Dh isn't wearing his cpap so he's snoring like a freight train and we're getting periodic heavy rain and winds.  

I got up to take some advil and benedryl for allergies acting up but evidently my stomach was too empty and it made me feel yucky so I ate some bread and I'm waiting for it all to settle before I try and sleep again.   

I'm glad I don't need to get up tomorrow.   I should do some work before we go out to an early dinner and to the movies, but I can do that Sunday if I don't tomorrow.  Might even be better to wait and let my back/shoulder heal up a little bit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

I have an ambitious mind but not an ambitious body.  Not sure what I'm actually going to get accomplished today.

Junie gets to be an Armchair General!    

Yesterday I had all kinds of productivity planned for the day, but with a possible puppy exploratory surgery, all the wind has gone out of my sails.  

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

No COFFEE!!~D yet. I’m being a lazy bum, laying in bed surfing the Net. DH and DS are leaving in a minute for an air show about 3 hours away. It’s going to be a beautiful day for one. 

I don’t have to go the Afsa today, since I went last night. It wasn’t crowded, but stocking was terrible.  I do need to get pumpkins. We forgot to buy pumpkins last night.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

I have an ambitious mind but not an ambitious body.  Not sure what I'm actually going to get accomplished today.

That's a good description.   I have a ton of work I should be doing but with my back, I'm not going to get anything done today.   

Dh did offer to come help me and doing the heavy lifting.  I told him I'd just wait until tomorrow, but maybe I will take him up on it. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

I have neither. I guess I will get some housework done. Oldest DD has Sadie Hawkins tonight. At her school it’s not a dance, it’s some …. I have no idea what they do at the sports complex, games and such, and then there’s this huge after party at some girl’s farm and they play Russia running around out in the orchards in the dark.

• Like 4

I’m still being lazy in bed. DH and DS left and now a kitty-cat has joined me. I suppose I should get up and get some COFFEE!!~D

I need to get some pumpkins and candy corns. The Afsa was out of candy corns last night. I wonder if they are in some boat in the Port of Los Angeles.

• Like 4

So, I need to figure out a trip we can take over New Year. It needs to be interesting, not horribly expensive and a one day drive from the Fresno area. It can be a long day of driving, but we don’t want more than that. Last year we drove to Utah, to Zion and Bryce Canyon. Awesome trip. But we don’t really want to do that again. I wanted to go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, but it’s not open in the winter.

• Like 3

We're cleaning out the girls' closet!!

Summer clothes have been removed to be put in the basement.

Clothes that are too small for dd11 are going to be sorted into piles for my niece or for goodwill.

Fall and winter clothes have been hung up.

And now we're cleaning out the dresser, one girl/drawer at a time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Clothes that are too small for dd11 are going to be sorted into piles for my niece or for goodwill.

That sounds an awful lot like an ambitious project! 

• Like 3

Chester and I are back from the vet.  They took more xrays and said it looks like things are moving through his system, so he should poop out whatever it is within the next day.  

My ambitious project this weekend was going to be closet-work.  Maybe I'll just go take a peek at it.  Junie, you just tell me where to put stuff, OK?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I did some work on the closet.  Now I am taking the kids to Pumpkinfest in the misty drizzle.  Don't wanna.  But they are dying to show off Sir Pups-a-lot in his Chewbacca costume.  

I remembered what my other weekend project was going to be: organizing dh's record collection and putting in the dividers that I got months ago and never used.  Maybe I'll get to that after the festival.  Will someone come over and make dinner?  And vacuum?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I did some work on the closet.  Now I am taking the kids to Pumpkinfest in the misty drizzle.  Don't wanna.  But they are dying to show off Sir Pups-a-lot in his Chewbacca costume.  

I remembered what my other weekend project was going to be: organizing dh's record collection and putting in the dividers that I got months ago and never used.  Maybe I'll get to that after the festival.  Will someone come over and make dinner?  And vacuum?

You can come to my house for dinner. I’m making tortellini soup and fresh bread. My girls can vacuum for you. They did a good job at my house.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I went to Save Mart for pumpkins. Never a good idea the day before Halloween. They were all out in front where they had them all month, but I found out from a clerk there were a few in a bin in the back of the produce section. I raced back there. There were about 10 and I took 2. Phew! Now the girls can carve pumpkins this afternoon. They were all out of candy corn, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I went to Save Mart for pumpkins. Never a good idea the day before Halloween. They were all out in front where they had them all month, but I found out from a clerk there were a few in a bin in the back of the produce section. I raced back there. There were about 10 and I took 2. Phew! Now the girls can carve pumpkins this afternoon. They were all out of candy corn, though.

They have tons of candy corn at Kroger here.  I usually buy a bag around this time to save for making turkey cookies for Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

I RedCrossed (now first aid/CPR/AED certified) and checked our emergency supplies. More EMT shears on the way so I can have a pair in my purse. Rotated some canned fruit (new to emergency supply, old to the fridge to be eaten soon). And DS outgrew the pair of pants I'd put in the emergency tote in January; Old Navy will get new ones here next week.

No emergencies until after the 5th, okay? I'm not ready!

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I have neither. I guess I will get some housework done. Oldest DD has Sadie Hawkins tonight. At her school it’s not a dance, it’s some …. I have no idea what they do at the sports complex, games and such, and then there’s this huge after party at some girl’s farm and they play Russia running around out in the orchards in the dark.

I had to google Sadie Hawkins.

12 hours ago, Junie said:

We are going to the storage room tomorrow to get the winter clothes. In fact, we should probably get all the clothes so we can do the sorting at the house. It's starting to get cold and we need to step up in emptying out the storage. We have 3 and I'd at least like to get it down to 2; 1 is ideal, before it gets too cold.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Sunday!!!!

Happy Reformation Day!!!

Church!!
I got up early to stick the baked oatmeal into the oven. I also need to do a root touch up on my hair. My hairstylist had the Covid. Although she said she had a mild case and was better quickly and that was about three weeks ago. 

• Like 3

We went to dinner and saw Dune last night.   I really liked Dune.  I hope it does well enough that they actually do the next part(s).  

We went to a sports bar/seafood place.  I got zuppa de pesce that was supposed to be mild but was pretty spicy in my opinion.  Definitely not mild.  But I had crab and lobster wontons that were good, and the whole thing was redeemed by chocolate lava cake with ice cream.

• Like 6

Morning. I survived. Today is a recovery day after a long two weeks, but I have a bunch of revision to get through before NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow where I will be doing...a bunch of revision. Oh, well. That's what I get for drafting all of last winter and spring.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1