Menu

Ugh. Don't remind me summer is coming. I'm already contemplating taking the dog clippers to my head.

Morning. Camp Writing finished up last night. I was up past eleven getting stuff put in spreadsheets so I just have to check this morning before reporting that I'm all done.  It's supposed to rain all week here. Lots of thunder and rain.

• Like 5
  • Replies 204.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

Morning.   We're having a Memorial Day bbq today instead of tomorrow.  Not sure why, dh made the plan.  Maybe weather?  I don't care enough to ask.   We're having burgers and crab legs with my mom and maybe oldest dd coming over.   As far as I know right now, dd and I are meeting to work out today.  Holiday weekend makes it weird even without anyone working.   

I'm going to have to figure out what to do about our workouts once we start going to the lake.   If it's raining, it won't matter we'll just go to the science center like we do now.   Workout at the lake may work somewhat but it would be some very repetitive lap walking.  Our stretch of beach is about 50-60 feet.  Dh suggested walking around the lake but we would be out of sight of the kids and there are no lifeguards during the week so I'm not comfortable with that.    We could kayak and stay where we can see the kids on the beach.  Can do about 100 feet back and forth doing that.     We could do a mix or change our time to earlier in the day.  I would prefer working out earlier but I don't know if dd is up for that.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Spudater said:

Lol, tempted to quote Frodo on Mount Doom but that would probably be a bit melodramatic even for me...

I just watched it last night!  "No, Sam, I can't recall the taste of food, nor the sound of water, nor the touch of grass."  😢🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I just watched it last night!  "No, Sam, I can't recall the taste of food, nor the sound of water, nor the touch of grass."  😢🤣

That’s one of my favorite scenes. I ❤️ Sam!

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

.....an hour later...  is everyone else trying to breathe too?  😳😜

They're helping me.

• Haha 3
44 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I waddled around the block and mixed up some pizza dough. 

All right, Tater Tot. This is your auntie, KrissiK, here. The fun and games are over. It’s time you show up and start making something of yourself!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

I was finishing up with the camping stuff and researching ultralight backpacking hacks and putting pizzas in the oven.  I think I have found acceptable storage for All The Things.  Some bins have been re-labeled.  Sleeping bags aren't hung up yet, but that's Somebody Else's job.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I did something! I cleaned a cabinet out in the laundry room. Then I got the muscles of the house (DH and Oldest) to go fetch a bunch of clothing bins from the attic and commenced to weeding through, sorting out, and packing away outgrown but still in great shape children's clothes. Now I have a much better idea of what everyone here needs clothing-wise.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We went for a walk. Along a path where painted rocks have become The Thing. People paint rocks and leave them next to the path. Our favorites were the ones painted like dragons hatching out of eggs. Oh, and the little collection of rocks painted like different candy bars--some in their wrappers, some unwrapped and partly eaten 🙂

• Like 7

I finished the book. What a disappointment. It started out really good, then the middle part I skimmed through because it got raunchier and raunchier and finally the end was depressing and predictable and the awful story about a bunch of people who make a lot of wrong choices and I was so glad the book ended and put me out of my misery because there was no hope for these people. 

• Sad 3
2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I should make dinner. We are having waffles again because that is what I have been making on Sunday nights.

The waffles were yummy. I made a berry topping, which is especially good on top of sour cream.

Points for quoting myself.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

My mother and dd were over for dinner so we were sitting out on the deck.  

We ate dinner outside on the patio. I love dining al fresco. Though I think we’re going to need an outdoor ceiling fan and some misters if this is going to continue.

• Like 1

There’s a lot of giggling out in the backyard.  And I keep hearing the tent zipper going up and down. Oooooh, now Baby came inside. “I got to go bathroom!” DH isn’t out there yet.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Slache said:

The new one. I don't like it.

The story is completely twisted. I hated it when I read it in high school. I think I hated every lit book I read in high school.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Slache said:

Matt and I are watching The Great Gatsby.

Why?

I hate The Great Gatsby.  I don't think I've seen any of the movies, maybe a few minutes of an older one, but considering the source material there is very little hope.

Sorry. 😞

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

The story is completely twisted. I hated it when I read it in high school. I think I hated every lit book I read in high school.

I didn't hate everything, but my teachers did a really good job of trying to get everyone to hate literature.

j/k

My English teachers were mostly ok.  It was The Powers That Be who chose the novels who really need to be exposed to some good literature.

• Like 4

I have actually been actively searching for a copy of The Great Gatsby and recently purchased The Lord of the Flies.

I also want to own a few Steinbeck and Hemingway works.

And I have just given all of you substantial proof to my book addiction:

I like to own and read books that I don't like.

• Haha 6
14 minutes ago, Junie said:

I have actually been actively searching for a copy of The Great Gatsby and recently purchased The Lord of the Flies.

I love Steinbeck. He is amazing. I loved “Cannery Row” and “Sweet Thursday” and “East of Eden”.

Hemingway......I think I read the first chapter of “Farewell to Arms” about five times and really had no idea what he was talking about, so I quit that one.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Junie said:

You know...

24 minutes ago, Junie said:

I didn't hate everything, but my teachers did a really good job of trying to get everyone to hate literature.

j/k

My English teachers were mostly ok.  It was The Powers That Be who chose the novels who really need to be exposed to some good literature.

I think I liked “To Kill a Mockingbird” and I did like Shakespeare. And we did like “Pygmalion” and loved the movie.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I love Steinbeck. He is amazing. I loved “Cannery Row” and “Sweet Thursday” and “East of Eden”.

Hemingway......I think I read the first chapter of “Farewell to Arms” about five times and really had no idea what he was talking about, so I quit that one.

The only Steinbeck I've read is Of Mice and Men.  I hated it.  But that was in 10th grade about half a bazillion years ago.  I'd like to give it another chance.

Edited by Junie
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Junie said:

The only Steinbeck I've read is Of Mice and Men.  I hated it.  But that was in 10th grade about half a bazillion years ago.  I'd like to give it another chance.

Tell me about the rabbits.

• Like 1

Good Morning!  It's Monday, Memorial Day.  Coffee's ready!

I disliked The Great Gatsby less than Hemingway.  I never read Steinbeck.  I had a semester of 20th century Lit in highschool and hated all of it.  I do like To Kill a Mockingbird - probably one of the only American Lit. books I do like.  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Junie said:

There was an article recently about the “real Lord of the Flies.”  A group of Catholic school boys really did get lost on a desert island in the south Pacific, but they were actually opposite what happened in the book. They made themselves a schedule of prayer and singing and work and took care of one of the guys who broke his leg and I think they even stayed friends for life. Sorry my paste still doesn’t work but it was in the Guardian. 
I was reading an interesting discussion about it and someone said, you know this book ais usually taught to be about what happens to man outside of society, but the boys in the book do form their own society so it’s really more the author contemplating, how to human societies become monstrous, e.g. Nazism. It would be an interesting paper to compare/contrast the book to real life and speculate on why the two societies turned out so different. 

Edited by Spudater
Ooo, literary booyah!
  • Like 5