Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It's kind of amazing how shoes that allow me to feel all the bumps etc. under my feet make my feet feel better.  So counterintuitive 

Do you walk differently? Lighter on your feet and more... footy aware?

It's a xero shooya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Nobody was interested in waking up this morning, lol.  Nevertheless.

I need to stop eating junk, that's for sure.  I did a bit of kitchen clean-up and brought dd18 to college.  I need to make 2 phone calls this morning, svengo.  But I'm fortifying myself with a bit of ITTing first.  

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If no one is following my frivolous chat board thread, I stumbled across a car kid I might have considered for John in a few years, but I somehow misread the price so it's not happening. However, the place that sells the kits has 3 day build a car workshops where you work with like 10 people and build a car over a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They take minors and I think John would would kill for the opportunity. We wouldn't do it for at least a year, but what a neat idea!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Slache said:

If no one is following my frivolous chat board thread, I stumbled across a car kid I might have considered for John in a few years, but I somehow misread the price so it's not happening. However, the place that sells the kits has 3 day build a car workshops where you work with like 10 people and build a car over a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They take minors and I think John would would kill for the opportunity. We wouldn't do it for at least a year, but what a neat idea!

I was reading your thread and looked up the cars.   I was wondering what you were thinking. 😉 The fact that you misread the price explains it.

The workshop sounds cool, though!

• Like 4

Just now, Junie said:

I was reading your thread and looked up the cars.   I was wondering what you were thinking. 😉 The fact that you misread the price explains it.

The workshop sounds cool, though!

I found the website through an article that said that it was $13,000. I don't know what I would spend on a car for a 16 year old and that is probably more than I would, but considering everything this kid has done for me through my postpartum depression and lupus he deserves something really, really cool. He's wanted a cobra since he was 4. He has a cobra collection. I would have loved to do that for him, even if it's a dumb purchase (2 seater convertible).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

I found the website through an article that said that it was $13,000. I don't know what I would spend on a car for a 16 year old and that is probably more than I would, but considering everything this kid has done for me through my postpartum depression and lupus he deserves something really, really cool. He's wanted a cobra since he was 4. He has a cobra collection. I would have loved to do that for him, even if it's a dumb purchase (2 seater convertible).

Ds21 is going to be looking for a car soon.  His insurance is going to be expensive, even on a cheap used car. 😞  And I wouldn't want him to have a nice car until he has lots of driving experience.

Just last week I started thinking about what kind of car I want when I no longer have to drive a 12-passenger van.  

Some cars are dream cars for a reason -- they're just really impractical and unattainable until later in life. 😞  My parents both had dream cars when they were young and ended up selling them because they just weren't practical.  My mom had a Mustang and my dad had a Corvette.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Ds21 is going to be looking for a car soon.  His insurance is going to be expensive, even on a cheap used car. 😞  And I wouldn't want him to have a nice car until he has lots of driving experience.

Just last week I started thinking about what kind of car I want when I no longer have to drive a 12-passenger van.  

Some cars are dream cars for a reason -- they're just really impractical and unattainable until later in life. 😞  My parents both had dream cars when they were young and ended up selling them because they just weren't practical.  My mom had a Mustang and my dad had a Corvette.  

I want a Jeep Cherokee. We had one early in our marriage and I loved it. Matt wants a dumb car like John. I think a Nissan Z? My grandma had a Porsche but my grandpa had a station wagon, so it didn't matter. She actually had a Porsche because my grandpa couldn't fit it in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am currently looking into a second car for Some People to drive.  I'd love to get another Malibu Maxx hatchback, but they haven't made them since 2006 and they're hard to find.  I puffy heart love hatchbacks, which I guess is about the same thing as most small SUVs.

Our 12-passenger E350 has almost 200K miles on it and a slow oil leak, so I'm also trying to decide if it's worth getting another large passenger van or if we should downsize to a more normal car or SUV.  If the current van lasts a couple more years, then downsizing might be OK.  If not, I'd love a low roof Transit.  They're very pricy. I'm hoping the used car market improves pretty soon.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ds has a classic car.  Aka a really really old car that is cool but spends half the time in the shop and is really hard to find parts for. 

I only hear bad things from people who restore cars, that's why the kit intrigued me. I'm pretty bummed it's not going to work out.

• Like 3

Good morning!

I'd like second sleep.  I woke up too early thinking we had missed trash day. But today is trash day, so we're OK there.  I have to go get a scan of my lung done this morning - they saw a little nodule or something last spring from my parathyroid scans and just want a second look at it.  

It's Cold outside!

Coffee!

• Like 3

Morning.   

I've been really tired the past few days.  I don't know if it's the cold, the getting dark, that we are now at 5 weeks without a break (3 more to go), the mild worries about a full to-do list/things to think about list, hormonal, residual arm/back soreness wearing me down, allergies (fall is my worst time) or what.  

My alarm went off at 7 and I moved it to 8 and went back to bed.    I'm heading over to the center a little bit earlier today since I help another teacher with field trips for one of her classes.   We are trying to do them whenever the weather cooperates because it's going to start cooperating a lot less very soon.  Today is going to be sunny but chilly so pretty much a perfect fall day.  Maybe the walk in the fresh air will wake me up a little bit. 

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I can feel a headache trying to form.  

Trying to get a bunch of stuff done today.  I might finally get the fall and winter clothes out of the basement.

Also, I need to make ... a phone call.  To the orthodontist because they scheduled our next appointment for before 9 am.  Nope.  Not happening.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I am currently looking into a second car for Some People to drive.  I'd love to get another Malibu Maxx hatchback, but they haven't made them since 2006 and they're hard to find.  I puffy heart love hatchbacks, which I guess is about the same thing as most small SUVs.

Our 12-passenger E350 has almost 200K miles on it and a slow oil leak, so I'm also trying to decide if it's worth getting another large passenger van or if we should downsize to a more normal car or SUV.  If the current van lasts a couple more years, then downsizing might be OK.  If not, I'd love a low roof Transit.  They're very pricy. I'm hoping the used car market improves pretty soon.

I also love hatchbacks. Most of my cars have been hatchbacks, and I have one now.

38 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Morning.   

I've been really tired the past few days.  I don't know if it's the cold, the getting dark, that we are now at 5 weeks without a break (3 more to go), the mild worries about a full to-do list/things to think about list, hormonal, residual arm/back soreness wearing me down, allergies (fall is my worst time) or what.  

Seems like we're on similar teaching schedules.

• Like 4

Morning. Spent this morning mad at myself for not saying I could work on a day when I am not working, and then took a look at my writing work schedule, house cleaning schedule, and so forth, and decided that I should never be at all mad at myself for not being at work, because I am. Just because it's not one kind of work doesn't mean it's not another. And today is a very busy day at work!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. You know how in books they say something like “she leapt out of bed, into her clothes and then into her day?”  It doesn’t work like that. At least for me. It might work that way for you. 
(it’s much easier in books but it’s also much more exciting in books. ). 

It doesn't work that way for me either. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. You know how in books they say something like “she leapt out of bed, into her clothes and then into her day?”  It doesn’t work like that. At least for me. It might work that way for you. 

I think I would break my leg doing that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I went to get the scan done of my lung and they gave me this dye (intravenously, lol) that makes you feel like you are wetting your pants.  Then I got to go in the giant donut.  I wish it had been chocolate and a real donut.

I am avoiding making calls to credit reporting agencies.  Do I have to?  I think getting a lung scan should be enough for one day.

• Like 4

I have called 3 martial arts locations in the last week. We're looking at a 6 month Krav Maga based self defense program, followed by something they'd really like to do which right now is capoeira, but they might change their mind in 6 months. I love the Krav Maga instructor and I *really* love the capoeira instructor, but I just got off the phone with a mixed martial arts instructor and he seemed really insincere and kind of insinuated that going to his studio is the only decent decision a parent can make. It's unfortunate because capoeira is 30 minutes away and this place is 10.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Renai said:

Watch it in old Brazilian soccer. They are trying to bring back ginga (foundation of capoiera). You don't see it as much in modern soccer. That's probably why the Brazilian team sucks now, lol!

So cool! But I would also break my leg doing that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Nope, not around here.   

Although I've had days where that was necessary and I can do it if I have to for some reason.  But it's definitely not the norm and I can't really do it more than on rare occasions.

• Like 5

So my elbow is doing new and interesting things the past few days.

When I first did it, the pain was on the inside of the elbow and ran down my forearm basically right along the line of the bone on the thumb side (radius).   Wore my sling all last week, it felt better by the weekend, a slight twinge if I wasn't careful enough.  Hurt my back, probably wasn't being as careful with the elbow as I should have been because of the back thing.

Yesterday I noticed a huge bruise on the outside of my elbow, just above the elbow.  And it hurt a little bit.  Today the bruise is bigger, multi-colored, the area is swollen and it hurts more. 

What the heck did I do? 

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

So my elbow is doing new and interesting things the past few days.

When I first did it, the pain was on the inside of the elbow and ran down my forearm basically right along the line of the bone on the thumb side (radius).   Wore my sling all last week, it felt better by the weekend, a slight twinge if I wasn't careful enough.  Hurt my back, probably wasn't being as careful with the elbow as I should have been because of the back thing.

Yesterday I noticed a huge bruise on the outside of my elbow, just above the elbow.  And it hurt a little bit.  Today the bruise is bigger, multi-colored, the area is swollen and it hurts more. 

What the heck did I do? 

Time for a doctor?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Time for a doctor?

I went to urgent care last week when it happened because I thought I may have actually broken the bone (it felt like it did when I broke my wrist and I have history of not getting things checked out quickly enough - I walked around on a badly broken foot for two weeks once.  I'm getting older and thought I should get it checked out).   They did an xray and it wasn't broken, just a sprain.  

If it continues much longer, I may visit my orthopedist who I was seeing for my OTHER elbow pain.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2