Menu

Ignore this thread!

Happy Monday.

Dh and I spent today at the science center.  He installed (most) the new security cameras, I cleaned and organized, then we decided to move things around so I made more cleaning and organizing for me to do.  

I found a replacement teacher for the one I fired.   I think she'll work out well, she seems excited about the job.  

I still have a ton of planning to do for my classes, a bunch to set up school, and lots of other work to do.

Tomorrow we're going to the zoo in the morning, Wednesday I'm going to our local homeschool recess in the afternoon since they are having businesses that serve homeschoolers come by with information, Thursday we have dentist appointments in the afternoon, then Friday I meet with my new teacher.  Next weekend is for finishing up the cameras, unclogging my sink, cleaning and finalizing setups for classes.   Somewhere in the middle of all that - planning classes, planning business owner stuff, setting up payroll stuff, setting up homeschool stuff.  

Gosh I'm tired.

ETA:  A super busy booya.

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I probably shouldn't go to the zoo tomorrow but I'm determined to do something fun before classes start next week.   We spend too much time doing our own things.  The kids are a little old for the zoo, but enjoyed it last time we went.  Dd loves the touch tank.  If nothing else it will be a nice day out in the fresh air.  I have some friends meeting up with us but they only have younger kids so my kids won't be into hanging out with them.  Oh well.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if anyone remembers the saga with my dad.  Never calls unless wants money, stepmother cursed at me last time on the phone because I wanted to wait to ask dh about sending money until he wasn't sitting with his mother in ICU waiting to see if she was going to die?

So I pretty much haven't talked to him since.  I sent some money for Father's Day.  I tried to call once or twice but I don't even get their answering machine anymore so I think I'm blocked.

My uncle (dad's brother) calls me every so often with an update.   Latest update is stepmom called uncle and said she wants my dad out of the house.  It's not that he needs more care than she can handle or anything like that.  They just aren't getting along, dad doesn't get along with her adult, special needs son, so she's looking for someone to take him in.  But there really isn't anyone.  

I personally think he should be in assisted living.  He's 80-something, keeps falling, is unstable on his feet, unable to care for himself, and their house is unhealthily filthy.  I gave them information for the senior services in their county when I last saw them, when I took him to an appointment early last year (right about when Covid was starting to build).  

I feel like I should do something but I don't feel at all guilty for not doing something so I'm not planning to do anything.

Even my uncle said it was "chickens coming home to roost" since my dad basically alienated anyone who would want to help take care of him. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Slache said:

Matt's not working so no school. They went to a park and shopping while I slept in, now they're painting, later a movie. I have REALLY been enjoying this song lately:

How was it?

I made 2 deep dish pies. There is none left. Lots of compliments.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Good morning!

Toto, I do remember about your dad - I'm sorry about that whole situation.  It sounds like it is really now up to him to decide to make positive changes or not.  

It's Tuesday, right?  Dd18 has classes and work today, Ds16 has a FaceTime cello lesson this morning, and we have friends coming over this afternoon.  We will probably go over to the park.  The rest of the day will be regular lessons.  

I can hear ds26 in the kitchen.  Sounds like he is making breakfast 🙂

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Toto, I kind of hope that the fired teacher realizes and regrets her bad behavior. 

One can only hope.  But honestly, part of the issue was she didn't see anything wrong with her behavior.  She felt like giving me lots of notice was enough to make it no big deal.  Even though I explained to everyone that we are small and while we have some subs we may be able to call on, it's not easy.   It felt like a pattern that was going to continue all year

• Like 4

Morning, Happy whatever day it is today.    The holiday has been throwing me off for days.  

We're heading to the zoo in a little bit.  I'm looking forward to it but the kids are being a bit whiny.  Dd is sort of excited (as much as a teen ever is) but ds is less than enthused.  And whining because I didn't give him enough details.  About it being a group field trip (I did mention it), that we were also going to the "aquarium" (its one building with a touch tank), that I left information out, he thought we were going to see "a monkey or something".  😂  He's on the spectrum so we try to give him as much information as possible but sometimes I miss the boat.

• Like 5

Morning. One boy is up and making breakfast. The other will need to get up in about three minutes. He's one of those night owls that needs about two hours to get motivated in the mornings. I've suggested no early morning classes, even high interest ones. They always killed me in school and if I could have had more days with classes starting at nine or even 8:30, it would have been better for me.

Other than that, this week is supposed to be dry and hot again, although maybe not as bad as last week, although by the weekend it's supposed to be miserable again. When's fall?

• Like 3

I am going to try to get out and do some walking this morning while it's cooler. I think some exercise would help me deal with a lot of pent up emotions that aren't coming out easily--stomping off the irritations, frustration, anger, and sadness as much as possible. I have been feeling about like a volcano ready to go off, and I need to vent somehow.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

One can only hope.  But honestly, part of the issue was she didn't see anything wrong with her behavior.  She felt like giving me lots of notice was enough to make it no big deal.  Even though I explained to everyone that we are small and while we have some subs we may be able to call on, it's not easy.   It felt like a pattern that was going to continue all year

She actually sounds like the stereotypical “bad homeschooler”  - the kind that doesn’t show up for things for no good reason, is late etc and can’t figure out why people would have an issue with that…. (I know that’s just a subset of homeschoolers but it’s an annoying one. ). If she is serious about wanting a job “in the real world “ she’s in for some surprises!  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

She actually sounds like the stereotypical “bad homeschooler”  - the kind that doesn’t show up for things for no good reason, is late etc and can’t figure out why people would have an issue with that…. (I know that’s just a subset of homeschoolers but it’s an annoying one. ). If she is serious about wanting a job “in the real world “ she’s in for some surprises!  

What's crazy is she's a nurse too.  Although I think she's a per diem so maybe that's what she expected from me too?  

• Like 3

The zoo was fun.  Ds got to walk around by himself which he liked.  Dd LOVES the touch tanks.  She would literally stay in there all day.  She was able to feed the rays and we went back a second time there was one that just stayed right in front of her getting pet.     We didn't socialize too much, were around some others in our group to get a snack and then ran into one of my students and her mom another time for a few minutes, but we mostly went around just the two of us (dd and I).  

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I personally think he should be in assisted living.  He's 80-something, keeps falling, is unstable on his feet, unable to care for himself, and their house is unhealthily filthy.  I gave them information for the senior services in their county when I last saw them, when I took him to an appointment early last year (right about when Covid was starting to build).  

I forgot to comment on this earlier.  If he is falling, then he absolutely should not be at home.  Unless someone can convince him to stay in bed/in a chair and only walk with assistance.

My dad had Parkinson's and he fell a lot. 😞  My mom made different choices than I would have, but I would not let someone who falls live in my house.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

I forgot to comment on this earlier.  If he is falling, then he absolutely should not be at home.  Unless someone can convince him to stay in bed/in a chair and only walk with assistance.

My dad had Parkinson's and he fell a lot. 😞  My mom made different choices than I would have, but I would not let someone who falls live in my house.

Why? I don't see a difference between someone falling at my house and someone falling in assisted living if I'm always with him. My house is actually hardwood floor, so there are things we would need to do, but I don't know why you wouldn't want someone in your home.

17 hours ago, Slache said:

Why? I don't see a difference between someone falling at my house and someone falling in assisted living if I'm always with him. My house is actually hardwood floor, so there are things we would need to do, but I don't know why you wouldn't want someone in your home.

Edited for privacy.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

She didn't say she couldn't be a caregiver, but that she wouldn't let someone who falls stay in her home. That's unwilling, not unable, and as someone who could potentially be a future caregiver, I wanted to know why. 

If MIL goes first we plan to take FIL, so I ask a lot of questions to people in that situation.

• Like 1

Junie basically answered my feelings on it.   We had this situation when FIL was still living at home.  MIL wasn't even close to being able to help him up when he fell.    From what I'm hearing, stepmom can't (won't?) help dad when he falls.  They call the EMTs to come get him up but that can only go on for so long.

We have a lot of reasons why coming to stay with us isn't an option, biggest one is probably the lack of space, but the effect on my kids was also a big factor.    Dh and I both work so my kids are home alone quite often.  They are teenagers but I don't feel like they should be in a position of being home alone with a senior who may need assistance. 

My maternal grandmother lived with us while she was dying of cancer when I was 13 and had to share my bedroom.   I'm not going to do that to my kids.

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good evening!!!

Busy day. And hot. Why is it still hot?? It is September.

I am reading tonight. “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” by Betty Smith. It is in the category of “Choose a book from the Mensa Reading list for 7th &8th grade.” It’s a good book.

I just finished reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn a few days ago.  I agree that it's good.  The writing was superb -- I've not ever been to NYC, but she made me feel like I had.

• Like 3

Morning.  Happy Wednesday.   I slept in a little bit today.  Because I was tired.

I'm working on classes this morning then a quick run by the science center before going to our homeschool recess.  It's a weekly event that my kids aren't really interested in going to (plus usually can't make it because I'm teaching), but they are having a casual business fair today so I'm going to stop by with some brochures.   

• Like 4

I think I posted that ds wants to get a job now that he's 16.   Around here, he definitely could find something, most likely retail.  But, I've been thinking about it and him and I discussed it, and I think we are going to hold off.  

Because - 1)  Delta.   And we don't have a general indoor mask mandate, just for schools.  Ds is vaccinated but we all know how that's going.  And his dad was the first of us vaccinated and is 65 years old, which brings us to 2)  winter is coming and we are in the Northeast so more than likely we will get at least a little surge.  Then throw in 3)  Christmas season when all the malls and stores get super super busy.    Even without Delta, I'm not sure the Christmas crazy is a good time for him to try a retail job for the first time.  

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I think I posted that ds wants to get a job now that he's 16.   Around here, he definitely could find something, most likely retail.  But, I've been thinking about it and him and I discussed it, and I think we are going to hold off.  

Because - 1)  Delta.   And we don't have a general indoor mask mandate, just for schools.  Ds is vaccinated but we all know how that's going.  And his dad was the first of us vaccinated and is 65 years old, which brings us to 2)  winter is coming and we are in the Northeast so more than likely we will get at least a little surge.  Then throw in 3)  Christmas season when all the malls and stores get super super busy.    Even without Delta, I'm not sure the Christmas crazy is a good time for him to try a retail job for the first time.  

My first job was lunch rush at Subway and it was so much more pleasant than retail. Regular fast food (White Castle) made me stink, but Subway was great.

I also loved dog grooming in my teens and again in my twenties. Both were small businesses, not chains.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

My first job was lunch rush at Subway and it was so much more pleasant than retail. Regular fast food (White Castle) made me stink, but Subway was great.

I also loved dog grooming in my teens and again in my twenties. Both were small businesses, not chains.

Food service would be a super bad idea for this kid.  He's on the spectrum, has sensory processing disorder, and a bit of hypochondria.   He wears gloves to do the dishes, washes his hands every time he touches food, and cant' stand the smell of certain things.   

Even for regular retail, we were going to look mainly at stock work where he'd deal with packaged items.  And stores large enough he could avoid things like having to clean up bathrooms.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!

Forgot to say good morning.  Had planned to have Greek yogurt with berries and granola for breakfast but the container of Greek yogurt was almost empty, so I made oatmeal instead.  Brought dd18 to classes, helped various kids with lessons, had a meeting with financial planning guy, stopped by the cemetary, picked up dd18 from classes, picked up a couple things at the grocery store, and am now trying to decide if I should follow Junie's advice and put off until tomorrow what I could do today.  I should probably make that decision tomorrow.

I'd like to read the Brooklyn Tree book.  You know how I can't read more than one book at a time, though, and I am trying to finish up another book first.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good morning!

That looks like a good one, Renai!

Busy day today.  College classes and work, tutorial, and a trip to Aldi. I registered this morning for a GriefShare group at a local church.  I need to write more thank you notes and make some phone calls, but am having a hard time making myself do them. I did manage to find all the titles to the cars, so that's something.

A neighbor has offered to take care of Sir Pups-a-lot when we go visit dd23 in The-City-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, so dd15 is very glad we don't have to put him in a boarding place.

Coffee!

• Like 8