Jump to content

Menu

Ignore this thread!


Recommended Posts

So. . . there are rats outside.  They trip our deck lights at night and Juliet chases them off.  It doesn't help that our neighbors are hoarders and their backyard has various levels of trash piled there.  It also doesn't help that we saw those very same neighbors carry a rat back to their backyard in a box and let it go.  (Yikes!  I honestly do not understand these people.)  Anyway. . . we can't do anything about them (tried that, didn't go well) so we are waging rat war on our end.  Dh has found what he has termed two "rat Al-Qaeda tunnels" leading from the neighbor's yard to ours.  He has tried blocking off the tunnels with cinder blocks.  He's put baited traps down the tunnels.  The rats have moved the cinder blocks (!) and taken the bait without tripping the traps.  Thus Rats 2, Dh 0.  And yet we persevere. . . .

Seriously?  A booyah for this?  We'll call this a "call to arms" booyah. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So. . . there are rats outside.  They trip our deck lights at night and Juliet chases them off.  It doesn't help that our neighbors are hoarders and their backyard has various levels of trash piled there.  It also doesn't help that we saw those very same neighbors carry a rat back to their backyard in a box and let it go.  (Yikes!  I honestly do not understand these people.)  Anyway. . . we can't do anything about them (tried that, didn't go well) so we are waging rat war on our end.  Dh has found what he has termed two "rat Al-Qaeda tunnels" leading from the neighbor's yard to ours.  He has tried blocking off the tunnels with cinder blocks.  He's put baited traps down the tunnels.  The rats have moved the cinder blocks (!) and taken the bait without tripping the traps.  Thus Rats 2, Dh 0.  And yet we persevere. . . .

Seriously?  A booyah for this?  We'll call this a "call to arms" booyah. 

Poison? You'd have to keep any pets out of harm's way in the meantime, though. Another alternative would be professional exterminators but I don't know how the pros could actually prevent them from coming into your yard without addressing the root of the problem itself (your neighbors). Ick! 

(((Jean)))

Edited by Servant4Christ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Poison? You'd have to keep any pets out of harm's way in the meantime, though.

Poison is not an option.  Not only does Juliet go back there, but the aforementioned neighbors have four dogs plus a foster baby and grandkids who play back in their yard. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Poison is not an option.  Not only does Juliet go back there, but the aforementioned neighbors have four dogs plus a foster baby and grandkids who play back in their yard. 

And I wonder how they qualified to be foster parents if they keep their house/property like this. 😞

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just googled and found that there is pet safe rat poison, rodent smoke bombs and/or dry ice method, and electronic rodent repellent devices that supposedly drive rats away within 2 weeks. I got quite educated on all things rat.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Poison is not an option.  Not only does Juliet go back there, but the aforementioned neighbors have four dogs plus a foster baby and grandkids who play back in their yard. 

 

2 hours ago, Junie said:

And I wonder how they qualified to be foster parents if they keep their house/property like this. 😞

That was my first thought too.  Aren't they worried about the grandkids playing around rats?  Yuck.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Poison? You'd have to keep any pets out of harm's way in the meantime, though. Another alternative would be professional exterminators but I don't know how the pros could actually prevent them from coming into your yard without addressing the root of the problem itself (your neighbors). Ick! 

(((Jean)))

Not only do you have to worry about pets or children getting to poison, but any animals that prey upon rats would be affected by poison, like certain birds. Poison isn't usually a good option.

My husband found a huge rat while he was pulling choya and other cacti and large weeds on the property where we live. He didn't get to the rat, but did destroy its tunnels. The rat had jumped out and was running toward Gymnast. That must have been exciting for them!

He said the tunnels can be flooded, or there are traps that are one-way.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Renai said:

Hope ya'll are doing something productive.

Before supper, my neighbor, her dog , Juliet and I went for a nice walk.  We were on our way home and an elderly 90 year old lady called us over to her very prolific garden.  She loaded us up with the sweetest grapes that I have ever tasted. 

I was a bit worried about what Juliet's behavior might be.  But this woman was a long time dog rescue lady and soon had Juliet in the palm of her hand.  Juliet was so gentle with her. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning. We got rain. Also found a new leak in the roof, so we'll have to investigate that after rain stops. Probably around a vent and it's been so hot and dry, things like sealant might need to be reapplied. Oddly, I don't think it rained in around the chimney--a chronic source of trouble. 

On rats--I did one have some success with an electrified floor trap. I wouldn't do poison either, although the exterminators were pretty mad at me about that. But, I'm not entirely sure that all the success was due to the trap, or the fact that we also have some pretty good snakes around the house who love a rat. Hard to say. 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Sunday!!!!

Church
I’m sitting outside drinking my COFFEE!!~D watching DH clean the solar panels. Unlike some of y’all, we haven’t seen rain here since…. I have no idea when it rained last. February?? Everything is so dry and dusty and dead here. And ready to go up in flames at the slightest spark.

Good day yesterday. We had a wonderful time with our old friends. Of course, our kids, who at 5 years old just played with each other, were on their devices the whole time, but that’s ok. I guess when you see each other once every couple of years, you’re not going to be good friends.

The wedding was lovely. Very much in keeping with the Bride’s tastes. There were chips and peach salsa for appetizers and sliders and wood-fired pizza for the reception. Very yummy. 
 

Not much going on today. Just church. I am pretty much bone tired from the past week at work, so I will be lounging around and either reading or watching tv. Oh, I’m sure there is Sportsball on, so I will do that. I forget what time of year it is.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Good morning. We got rain. Also found a new leak in the roof, so we'll have to investigate that after rain stops. Probably around a vent and it's been so hot and dry, things like sealant might need to be reapplied. Oddly, I don't think it rained in around the chimney--a chronic source of trouble. 

On rats--I did one have some success with an electrified floor trap. I wouldn't do poison either, although the exterminators were pretty mad at me about that. But, I'm not entirely sure that all the success was due to the trap, or the fact that we also have some pretty good snakes around the house who love a rat. Hard to say. 

Eek! Rats are bad enough, but snakes!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Good morning. We got rain. Also found a new leak in the roof, so we'll have to investigate that after rain stops. Probably around a vent and it's been so hot and dry, things like sealant might need to be reapplied. Oddly, I don't think it rained in around the chimney--a chronic source of trouble. 

On rats--I did one have some success with an electrified floor trap. I wouldn't do poison either, although the exterminators were pretty mad at me about that. But, I'm not entirely sure that all the success was due to the trap, or the fact that we also have some pretty good snakes around the house who love a rat. Hard to say. 

There is way too much going on in this post.  Svengo.  And all the Willy_Nillies.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning!

We went to church this morning - first time in about 2 months, I think.  It was good, though I spent some quality time doing 4x4 breathing exercises to keep from sobbing.  But I'm glad we went.  

I am doing some laundry and have a couple small tasks to do and need to stop avoiding responding to a couple of texts.  
   
Coffee!

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning.   I've been mainly doing nothing productive all day so far.  Dh came home from his moms so we reconnected, I slept in a little bit, surfed the forum, did a quick excel graph to check a new layout for the classrooms, thought about going for a walk but its rainy here.   

I need to work on classes and school.  I did finish and put away laundry so that's something, right?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm actually debating about school.  The kids have done VERY LITTLE school the past month.  Actually this whole summer was a bit of a bust.  Which wouldn't be a huge deal, after all many people take of the summer, but we also didn't have a super productive year last year.  But again, many others also didn't.  But we don't really try and compare to others, we have goals of our own.  

But, tomorrow is a holiday.  I could have them do some school but dh and I will be doing work at the science center all day so won't be home.  Tuesday we are going to the zoo.  One of my goals for this year is to do more fun stuff when I'm off.   Thursday we have dentist appointments which will wipe out the entire afternoon.   So the most we could do any decent amount of school is Wednesday and Friday.    Next week I'm gone all day every day so I really wanted to get things going when I was here more.  The following week I will be here every morning except Thursdays, when I'm gone all day, and Fridays where I only do one class so will be home before and after. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

So the most we could do any decent amount of school is Wednesday and Friday.    Next week I'm gone all day every day so I really wanted to get things going when I was here more.  The following week I will be here every morning except Thursdays, when I'm gone all day, and Fridays where I only do one class so will be home before and after. 

When I have these issues I make non school plans. This week I would do big home projects Wednesday and Friday (in my case that's boy's room/girl's room), and next week would be a little school, list of housework combo. So they would do the things they do well alone (math, video learning) and there would be a list for afterwards (kitchen cabinets, baseboards). There would be an understanding that if all housework was finished by Thursday there would be pizza and a movie Friday afternoon instead of housework.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slache said:

When I have these issues I make non school plans. This week I would do big home projects Wednesday and Friday (in my case that's boy's room/girl's room), and next week would be a little school, list of housework combo. So they would do the things they do well alone (math, video learning) and there would be a list for afterwards (kitchen cabinets, baseboards). There would be an understanding that if all housework was finished by Thursday there would be pizza and a movie Friday afternoon instead of housework.

And we know this is a proven method because the end result is the exact same number of math and writing lessons for the rest of this term!  #expertplanner  😘

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We churched. And, while at church, besides the usual things, I accomplished something that has been weighing on my mind for a year now. I got a new piano teacher for my two little girls. They had been taking lessons and then Covid hit. Their teacher was excellent, but she is 90 years old, so she quit doing lessons and I just have not been able to get lessons for the girls and they have been doing nothing extracurricular. But, I got a lead on a friend’s DIL and found her at church today and she is accepting students. Whew. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did some work.  Mainly going through files and Pinterest pins to find new activities for a STEM class, because it has a bunch of the same students as last year's STEM class so I can't use my usual activities.  Luckily STEM leads things open for lots of options.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning!  It’s The Queen’s favorite day!

 I am currently “downtown” in my little town with dds18/15/12 who are doing a 5K charity race. Their race starts in a little over an hour and I won’t need to pick them up until 9:30, but the street in & out of my neighborhood is going to be blocked off for the 10K, so we needed to get out early.  And I found an awesome parking spot, so I’m staying. 
   
Coffee!
    
 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Morning!!!

No COFfEE!!~D yet. Ima being lazy and ITTing in bed for a bit before I get up.no school or work today. I need to go to the grocery store, clean the house up a bit. This afternoon/evening we’re going to DH’s brother’s house, which will be fun. The whole fam will be there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm making Slashie's steak and mushroom pie today. Building pie dough for it now.

DH came into the kitchen, looked at my recipe, then commenced to verbally altering my recipe to the point it was obvious; He wanted a pot pie. I asked and he confirmed. He said wine is for drinking, not cooking a good steak in. Svengo.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matt's not working so no school. They went to a park and shopping while I slept in, now they're painting, later a movie. I have REALLY been enjoying this song lately:

 

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

DH came into the kitchen, looked at my recipe, then commenced to verbally altering my recipe to the point it was obvious; He wanted a pot pie. I asked and he confirmed. He said wine is for drinking, not cooking a good steak in. Svengo.

How was it?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I put the shelves in one kitchen cabinet and moved dishes into there.  I am not sure if things will stay where I am putting them because I have to see if it makes sense for everyday life. 

I'm still figuring out where things should be and it's been a month.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The girls did their 5K and survived.  I was able to get all the guest bedding and memory foam toppers into giant vacuum bags so it is all much more compact.  I was listening to a book on tape and knitting a dishcloth but have been overcome by sleepiness, so Imma go take a nap.  Might go to the lobby of hobbies later.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...