Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

And if so which museum do we give up for the park?

I only said the park to get Toto down here. 😂

The Folk Art Museum is really nice. They sometimes have (well used to) a short program for the kids to introduce a particular exhibit, the kids would do a craft or project, then go view the exhibits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Renai said:

Exfended?

I was about to be offended, but I saw your other post with the map and the word "Santa Fe." So, I'm okay now.

Santa Fe National Park., White Sands, and not national but Tent Rocks. All close, so swing by here. 

I've heard those rumors are true...Living in Germany, my eyes believe the rumors.

I like R&S over CLE. Grant it, I did the Spanish R&S reading and the English CLE. My oldest got bogged down with CLE. So, the few times I decide to get a reading curriculum (like this year), I get R&S.

Have you used R&S reading in any of the grades 5-8? 

26 minutes ago, Slache said:

And if so which museum do we give up for the park?

Edit:

Screenshot_20210806-194650~2.png

I didn't know there was a Liquid Glass museum. 😳 I just looked it up. We drive down that street often (or used to when I lived on that side of town). Anyway, I know about the Baca Art District, but didn't know the founder of that museum founded that artist district. Interesting stuff. We'll have to stop by there. Maybe we'll wait until ya'll here...

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

I didn't know there was a Liquid Glass museum. 😳 I just looked it up. We drive down that street often (or used to when I lived on that side of town). Anyway, I know about the Baca Art District, but didn't know the founder of that museum founded that artist district. Interesting stuff. We'll have to stop by there. Maybe we'll wait until ya'll here...

We're talking about putting it off until Isaac is old enough to do some more serious climbing. The trip includes the Grand Canyon, Crater Lake etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Have you used R&S reading in any of the grades 5-8? 

Yes, Dancer used 5th, 7th and 8th...or was it just 5th and 8th...? Anyway, there is the vocabulary, reading, and comprehension. Straightforward. And it's also Bible. So there's that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warning: PlaguePo!  Avert Yer Eyeballs!

I'm sorry to not be ketchup or spicy ketchup.  The plague (and strep, for dd12) has come through our house, though most of us are now feeling well and can now come out of quarantine.  Dd18 tested negative twice, but then tested positive for both short and long-range antibodies, so she had it at some point without anyone knowing.  Dh is in the ICU with pneumonia.  It hit him very hard and we were not sure for a while that he would make it.  He was transferred by lifeflight on Tuesday to a hospital in The Big City and is still on a high ventilator and a rotoprone bed, but has been stable for a couple of days, at least.  We are praying for time and strength for him to heal.  It may be a long, long road.  According to the current hospital rules, I may be able to go see him early next week.

My doctor has given me a mild anti-anxiety med to help me function and be able to eat, and it has been helping.  My church and neighbors have been bringing us food and offering to run errands.  I am so grateful that my parents were able to drive down yesterday and they plan to stay with us for as long as needed.  The kids are doing OK - having grandma and grandpa here will be wonderful for both me and them.  I am trying to decide about starting school and/or activities and how life might look for the next bit.  Dd18 starts college orientation next week, svengo.

Dd23 moved this week to The City That Must Not Be Named to start her nursing job.  She couldn't be in the house with us because of the quarantine, so we put boxes of her things in the garage for her to get and it broke my heart just a little bit to wave goodby out the storm door.  She was able to spend a few hours with dh in the hospital before leaving and has had a friend stay with her for a couple days for support.  She is going to come home this weekend for a few hours since we are all in the clear.

I haven't had any coffee in a week, svengo, but will try to have a cup for y'all this morning.  Love to you all!

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Sad 8

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Saturday!!! Woke up early, though.

Not much going on today. Housework, I think I will do some school planning. Oldest DD seems to be doing all right. She is swollen up like a chipmunk and was in pain yesterday, so I gave her one of the prescribed pain pills and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Susan, we will continue to be praying for your family. 

ooooh, I got a Booya/h for that.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was on here briefly this morning but didn't have time to post.  I spent the morning cleaning my classrooms, hauling more stuff upstairs to storage, organizing storage.  Now I'm having lunch then running to my other storage unit (that I'm emptying) and to the grocery store.  Then I'm not sure, I may just sit on the couch and do nothing if I feel like I got enough stuff from the storage unit.  If I get it all or enough that it can be finished in one more trip, I might leave it until tomorrow when dh is home with his bigger truck and muscle.  

I also need to finish cleaning the classrooms tomorrow since I have a camp next week.

• Like 6

School starts Tuesday.  DS got his “tentative” schedule at Freshman orientation on Thursday.  I called the guidance counselor on Friday. 😂. The conversation was...irritating.  I shall not recount it here.  I’m taking deep breaths and consciously deciding that I need to just let the school be in charge.  Because I put him in PS this year so it wasn’t on me.  I have to remember that.

The good thing is he passed the Algebra EOC and so will be able to move on to Geometry. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

6 hours?! No one is taking this thread seriously.

I'm working on my National Parks road trip.

I've developed about 30 vacations since I became sick over a year ago. It's like it gives me a sense of control when I feel like everything is out of control. I call it The Plandemic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I'm working on my National Parks road trip.

I've developed about 30 vacations since I became sick over a year ago. It's like it gives me a sense of control when I feel like everything is out of control. I call it The Plandemic.

If you were planning for 6 hrs straight, you need to remember to take occasional breaks. ITT demands your presence. Priorities.

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

Zoom iglesia and facebook church.

Praying for your dh, Susan! :)

Later I need to do some tweaking on some of our homeschool lessons that aren't working as well as they should.  

And I need to figure out what to get ds20 for his 21st birthday.  He says he has no ideas.  #felpful

• Like 3

I slept in until 9:45am.   It felt good and relaxing.   Now I"m having breakfast and dh should be home soon since he has an ETA of 11am.   He's going to help me get the last of the stuff from my storage unit into the storage space above the classroom.   Then I need to spend some time cleaning and getting ready for camp tomorrow morning.  

Had my first person cancel their registration because the mask mandates are back.  This particular person actually registered when the mask mandate was still on, received an email saying masks were required, saw pictures on Facebook with kids all in masks, but cancelled now.  Maybe they were hopeful they were going to get lifted and stay that way but I don't know how anyone could think that in the past few weeks. 

Last year was exhausting dealing with people over masks.  I'm really hoping since we are taking a firm line right from the beginning that this year will be easier. 

• Like 5

In related weirdness, the boys are in twelfth grade this year. Every year I've registered, it's been several weeks to a month before I go approval to homeschool. This year I got approved the same day I registered??? Within hours??? I don't know if it's the state saying good job, go away or they just have extra people approving homeschooling this year.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

In related weirdness, the boys are in twelfth grade this year. Every year I've registered, it's been several weeks to a month before I go approval to homeschool. This year I got approved the same day I registered??? Within hours??? I don't know if it's the state saying good job, go away or they just have extra people approving homeschooling this year.

Our county takes forever to send approval.  I think a few years ago it was February or March.  And they told me that I was on probation.  Now, I wasn't really on probation because they read the scores incorrectly (and I showed them where their mistake was).  But, if I had really been on probation what good does it do to tell me in February or March that I need a remediation plan?  :svengo:

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Maybe they are doing quick approvals for the long-time homeschoolers so they can pay more attention to the newbies or Covid-schoolers?

• Like 3

(((((Susan))))) I hope your DH recovers quickly.

We Giving Weeked. It was good. I am, sadly, pretty much incapable of napping, and so got really nothing done yesterday after we brought breakfast to the shelter. (We'd set our alarms for 5:30 AM but were all awake by 4:45. Normally I have a hard rule against getting up before 6. And it was raining, so very dark and sleepy.) The church service today would've been perfect for the start of this week, so I think I will set a reminder in my phone to watch it again next year. (The text was 1 Kings 19.)

Now I have three weeks of Doing All the Things before we launch 8th grade. I've reread Atomic Habits, but I'm concerned that I will procrastinate. I think I'm going to bribe myself with books.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Carolina Wren said:

(((((Susan))))) I hope your DH recovers quickly.

We Giving Weeked. It was good. I am, sadly, pretty much incapable of napping, and so got really nothing done yesterday after we brought breakfast to the shelter. (We'd set our alarms for 5:30 AM but were all awake by 4:45. Normally I have a hard rule against getting up before 6. And it was raining, so very dark and sleepy.) The church service today would've been perfect for the start of this week, so I think I will set a reminder in my phone to watch it again next year. (The text was 1 Kings 19.)

Now I have three weeks of Doing All the Things before we launch 8th grade. I've reread Atomic Habits, but I'm concerned that I will procrastinate. I think I'm going to bribe myself with books.

I started, and not finished, that book in January of this year.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Renai said:

I started, and not finished, that book in January of this year.

I read it in January 2020. The one principle that really stuck with me and seemed to work is starting new habits by attaching them to old habits and routines.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I read it in January 2020. The one principle that really stuck with me and seemed to work is starting new habits by attaching them to old habits and routines.

I remember reading that. I think it's within the first couple of chapters. That's about as far as I got (maybe a little further....).

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Monday!!😩😩😩😩😩

Hot and smoky today!!! We’re getting smoke from the Dixie fire, waaaay up north.

Staff meeting today and then the kids and I will help Mom set up tables for the funeral.

Angi, thank you for the update. Continuing to pray for the family.

• Like 5

I have never had such a disrespectful cat in all my life. I have taken to spraying the counter down with vinegar at night and he's just sitting in the kitchen with his ears back, slightly puffed, irritated that would dare befoul the counters he's entitled to spend his time on whenever he likes.

I have 3 demands when it comes to cats. Stay off my kitchen counter, stay off my dinning room table, relieve yourself in the box. The only one he respects is the box. Imma beat him if this doesn't work.

• Thanks 1