Menu

Ignore this thread!

I’m back from camp. Three hours of driving total. It was a fine drive, but I spent a lot of time trying not to hit suicidal ground squirrels. A pair of them just sat in the middle of the road staring at me while I almost came to a complete stop.

• Like 5

Hello, One more week of camp done.  This one was really fun but also probably the messiest of all of them.   I'm waiting for the last kids to be picked up and ignoring the mess.  I have a week off, where I'm going to be moving stuff into the storage space so I'm just sitting on my butt relaxing.  I'll sleep in tomorrow (had to get up early every day, even earlier the past few because dh's truck is in the shop), then help mom with the last of her packing, then tackle my space.  

• Like 6

On 7/29/2021 at 4:43 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

Party at Renai’s new apartment!!

There's definitely more room for one!

22 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I’m pretty sure that Susan is going to assign me the root beer. 

Don’t let Susan bring pickle juice!

I'll take pickle juice over root beer. It's my party!

11 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. We ripped out our extremely old, dusty and possibly even mildewy carpet last night. I actually hope that getting rid of it helps some health issues in the long run. 

This was one of the issues of the new apartment - old, stinky carpet. The older woman's dogs had been down there. They cleaned the carpets, and the main carpet is getting replaced in two weeks. She even asked my opinion of which carpet to put down. She had swatches there when I went in to sign the lease. 

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I’m back from camp. Three hours of driving total. It was a fine drive, but I spent a lot of time trying not to hit suicidal ground squirrels. A pair of them just sat in the middle of the road staring at me while I almost came to a complete stop.

Speaking of suicidal ground squirrels. My daughter and I went to the park to get a free lunch, and while she played and I talked to the ladies. While we were talking, we all of a sudden heard a loud screech. We looked, and there was some lady screaming at the top of her voice, at the cars, to the air. She stopped, and we went back talking. She then started screaming again. I asked the ladies if maybe we should call the police for a mental health crisis. Once she started standing and sitting in the middle of the road and screaming for the cars to please hit her, we did call the police. It was more interesting than squirrels. Thankfully, she wasn't hit.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Morning.  I only managed to sleep until around 7am.   Having my second cup of tea and then we have to go pick up dh's truck, empty my new portable wall at the science center, drop a car at home, then go to mom's to help pack, then run to my aunt's house (about 30 minutes away) to drop off some stuff that can't go in moving truck, then back to mom's house to pack.    Then repeat tomorrow except no run to aunt's house and I may have to pop over to the science center to take possession of storage space.  They may just text me the code though. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Signs you grew up Japanese (or at least in Japan)

1.  You've traded recycling for toilet paper

2.  When you hear "Camptown Races" you rush to put your garbage can out at the curb

3.  You've gotten rice from a vending machine. 

My mom went to school in Camptown (Pennsylvania).  And when we went to visit we drove on the Camptown "Racetrack".  It's a mountain road from Camptown to the next town 5 miles away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Saturday!!!

Housework, groceries… the usual. I don’t think I need to go to the Afsa, though, which is good.

Getting awfully tired of this heat. Everything looks so half-dead and beat up. We water the garden,  but the heat is still hard on everything.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

she would really like to eat my journal, and I said no.

Mom! Critter's being mean to the cat!

I finished the mins game yesterday, and up next is Giving Week, starting tomorrow. It's the best holiday of the year! We made our list last night. ❤️

Off to Facebook church! Have a good Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Sunday!!!!

Well, my dad passed away last night. It went quickly and I feel blessed to have been there. It was a peaceful transition and the hospice nurse was an absolute jewel.  Both my mom and I had made peace with it all earlier in the week, so we are fine.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

It's raining here.  

Spent the day helping mom pack stuff up.   I think the decision is in, mom is definitely a hoarder.   Despite telling us for a couple months that she was doing well with packing, didn't need help because she was making decisions as she went, and things were fine - she had packed up maybe two kitchen cabinets.  That's it.  and she has a LOT of stuff.  Multiple bins of old tupperware or other random plastic, tons of office supplies, things that your average person would consider trash and just throw out.  Instead we packed it all up because there's no time left to make decisions.    

But, she's staying in one small room at my aunt's house with a small storage space, then at our house the new addition for her is going to be about 450 square feet.  She is not going to have room for all this stuff.  Plus a bunch of it she's not going to have any use for it since she's not going to have her own kitchen, etc again.    

I mean, she literally had 16 sets of tongs and she "uses them all".  Probably about 30 kitchen knives (not counting the ones you would eat with), various types.   Dozens of spatulas, wooden spoons, plastic spoons.   

• Like 4

Morning. I believe we are going to try for some lake time today. Remains to be seen which lake we go to.

I have a lot of things to get done today in writing, enough that I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. But I will get it all. Just have to stick with my list and work through it.

• Like 3

Morning.  Getting ready to head over to moms to help her with more packing, after a side trip to the science center to get five tons of stuff we are taking from her out of my car.   Whenever she asked if we wanted something she didn't need/want, we just said yes.   If we don't want it/can't use it, we'll take care of throwing it away or donating it.   We should have been doing that for the past 5 years.  Because if we don't take it, instead of throwing it out or donating it herself, despite KNOWING that she doesn't want it or need it, she would just keep it.  

She has movers coming today to move stuff into a pod that will get moved to my aunt's house tomorrow. 

I can't wait for this to be over.  Except I like that despite eating ice cream pie every night for the last week, I still managed to lose 3 pounds.  Lots of walking back and forth hauling stuff is great exercise.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Morning.  Getting ready to head over to moms to help her with more packing, after a side trip to the science center to get five tons of stuff we are taking from her out of my car.   Whenever she asked if we wanted something she didn't need/want, we just said yes.   If we don't want it/can't use it, we'll take care of throwing it away or donating it.   We should have been doing that for the past 5 years.  Because if we don't take it, instead of throwing it out or donating it herself, despite KNOWING that she doesn't want it or need it, she would just keep it.  

She has movers coming today to move stuff into a pod that will get moved to my aunt's house tomorrow. 

I can't wait for this to be over.  Except I like that despite eating ice cream pie every night for the last week, I still managed to lose 3 pounds.  Lots of walking back and forth hauling stuff is great exercise.

I’m sorry, Toto. I finally had to adopt that attitude as well.  

So, today didn't go so well.   

The movers (College Hunks) didn't do a very good job filling the pod.   They basically spent half the time plastic wrapping some furniture, then put the big things in and said it was full (it was FAR from full).   So after going into work at 6am and working for 8 hours, dh came over and rearranged and added more things to the pod.    In 94 degree heat.  And we had to go up into her attic which was about 120 degrees and totally gross to pull out boxes that probably hadn't been looked at in 10 years but were essential to be packed until they could be sorted.  

And because we asked her what she was going to do with three wooden kitchen chairs that she was taking in addition to her upholstered chair (which she loves, bought as a birthday present for herself), and a wooden rocking chair (which is good for her back), because she literally has a room about 12 x 12 at my aunts and will only have 450 square feet at our house.  She blew up at us, said she was tired of being questioned about her stuff (but we have to so we know how to pack it or if it can even be packed) and told us to go home.   Which we didn't because that really wasn't an option if things were going to get done in time.  

Then we had to drive the 40 minutes up to my aunt's house to empty the stuff in both our cars and figure out where to put it at my aunts (newsflash, there's no room) and empty the cars there walking up and down stairs, before driving home.  We finally got home around 8pm and now we are both totally beat.  

Mom did eventually apologize but I'm still annoyed.  We really shouldn't be at this point at this time.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I was supposed to go over tomorrow but we basically did what was on the plan for tomorrow, today.   Dd is borrowing our truck to move the last of her stuff to her apartment tomorrow, then my mother can move the rest of her stuff in her own car and then plans to clean until closing on Thursday.   My mother thinks the place needs to be spotless and I refuse to waste my time with something so unnecessary.   I have to move a bunch of stuff out of my classroom space into my new storage space so I can get things moved around for classes.   I want to get it done this week since my camps will work better once its done, plus I'm giving up my outside storage unit next weekend so I have to empty it by then.

And dh is leaving Wednesday morning for his mom's house to take her to some doctor's appointments, and spend the weekend with her.  

• Like 5

How fast does your hair grow?  

I was reading a book recently, just your basic romance.  The main character talked about taking two years to grow her hair to reach her bra strap, from chin length.    

That seems like a really long time to me.   My hair would grow from chin length to bra strap in less than a year.  I could go from chin length to waist length in two years.   

So, how fast does your hair grow?   Is slowly more typical and mine is just really fast?