Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning. Mucked out "the bone children" who are still bony, but less sickly. Today they get a total parasite eviction, antibiotics injections, leukemia testing, and should be very tired and in need of long afternoon naps. 

I will also be very tired and in need of a long afternoon nap.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Junie said:

I realized at 9:43 that I needed to leave the house at 9:45.  It's a good thing that I get dressed fast!  I was ready in a minute and a half.

I remember when I used to roll out of bed 15 minutes before leaving for work.   I was doing stock work on a 3am to 11am shift.   

These days I get up two hours before I need to be anywhere so I can relax and slowly drink my two cups of tea and have my breakfast while reading the boards, then slowly get dressed, arrive early to do my Tai Chi/yoga and have an easy start to the day.   

ETA:  A getting ready in the morning booya

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the kind words about the wands.   They are chopsticks with marbles and hot glue, painted with shades of brown and glitter.   Not too complicated except I'm usually a total klutz with a hot glue gun and manage to burn myself.  This time, no burns!  I was very happy.

Today went well.  12,000 steps.   I'm exhausted so hopefully I'll sleep really really well tonight.  My ablation seems to have chosen this week to stop working which is making things even more fun.   

It's a good group of kids this week and they seemed to have a good time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 6:12 PM, Wheres Toto said:

Finished my wands and owls for camp, put some stuff away, cleaned up.  As ready as I'm going to be, except I have to put bags back in all the garbage cans and scrub the table I was sitting at to make wands.  It's covered with paint and glitter.  I wiped it down but the paint didn't all come off. 

I had to make a lot of wands this year.  I have 13 kids in the morning, 14 in the afternoon and only 3 that are all day.

20210725_154948.jpg

Yes!  Your wands are amazing.  (The pink one has chosen me.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D
Tuesday!!

I’m up early again for some reason. I think it was a cat meowing to be let in. They are still really bitter about us leaving on vacation.

Work today. And I need to go to my mom’s at 10:00 and wait around for her her fridge to be delivered while she deals with things with my dad.  He is on hospice now. He is not on his deathbed, but his systems are not working properly and he’s not going to get any better. They are taking him off all his meds except his pain meds.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

Maybe I should make this week's to-do list...

I really need to schedule about a dozen doctor's appointments before numbers go haywire here again.  I will be really glad when the youngest can get vaccinated.

• Like 3

Morning. Spent about two hours working with the kittens this morning. I don't know if I said here, but we ended up with two emaciated bone children to foster until they are well enough to find homes. They are recovering from multiple health problems (in addition to malnutrition), but they take up a lot of time!

Other than that, it's hot and we are watering. That's about it.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm not sure how I could watch them.  We don't have TV.  Only netflix and amazon.  Prolly it's on the internet somewhere?

We don't have tv either.  I've been able to find some of the individual events on youtube.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm not sure how I could watch them.  We don't have TV.  Only netflix and amazon.  Prolly it's on the internet somewhere?

We don't have TV either.  We used to get a month of YouTube TV during the Olympics; it was pretty nice - we could stream live TV and also watch replays - but it was just too expensive this year ($62 or something like that).  So we are trying the $10 no-ads subscription to Peacock TV, NBC's streaming service, which has its pros and cons, but the price is definitely right ;).

The main con is that there seems to be no way to actually stream the broadcast TV feeds - I managed to stream one once, but haven't been able to again.  A related con is that I find it extremely unintuitive to navigate - what it wants me to watch (streaming highlights and interviews and background info) and what I want to watch (actual events) are not at all the same thing, and it's hard to tell whether what I want isn't offered or is just buried somewhere and I can't find it.  Certainly, the PeacockTV's station offerings do *not* match what those stations are actually broadcasting.

But, despite those cons, there is a big pro (aside from the price), and that is their replay offerings.  They are embargoed, so that you have to wait a day before they are put up, but they are very nice.  They show the whole event, some with "station breaks" where ads would have been, but some with no breaks at all.  And minus the synchronized diving final and the opening ceremonies, very few breaks - not more than every 30min.  So we don't get to see *all* the things, but we do get to see quite a few things - and we can do so at whatever time is convenient.  It's not perfect (and I'm still unthrilled that it won't let us stream live broadcasts) but has definitely been worth the $10.

ETA: PeacockTV and/or NBC online has a free option, that gives you a 30min "temporary pass" to livestreams. IDK if there's a daily/monthly limit or anything, but it does get mad about ad-blockers.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have never watched the Olympics. I'm morally opposed. Kidding. I'm a creature of habit.

I have a UTI. First in at least 5 years. I paid $19 to talk to a doctor online and have a generic prescribed. Does this mean no pool today? We were supposed to pool. I have Azo, just don't want to irritate myself. I'm quite irritable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Hello.  I didn't get on this morning so no Morning! post.   I don't know why, I think I just ran out of time.

Day 2 of wizard camp done.  I've gotten 12,000 steps both today and yesterday.  Wizard Camp is easily the camp that generates the most dishes.   Today we did invisibility with orbeez, magic water jars, ogre boogers (sodium alginate and calcium chloride - spherification), and sodium polyacrylate (magic snow, which got mixed in with the orbeez in some cases).   So many dishes.  Piles of dishes.  I also used every towel I had at the science center, which is basically every old towel from my house - probably about 15 full size towels and 20-ish hand towels.  So I'm doing laundry because I'll need towels. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Junie said:

Why?  Am I missing something?

He's not fully grown and there is a very high chance he will have to have them removed. People in my family tend to get them early and then have them pulled, but novocaine doesn't work on us. It's really awful.

My grandpa and all 3 of his children had it done at about 10. I think 9 through 13. I haven't had my wisdom teeth pulled without medication because I was old enough to have narcotics but I've had a lot of dental work done without it and it's horrible. I used to cry so hard. I think we can give him narcotics though. It will be several hundred dollars a tooth. He's got his dad's huge head though. We'll see.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm sorry. I thought everyone knew wisdom teeth were terrible for kids. Matt didn't know either. I guess it's not common enough. We like to stay special and expensive around here.

Most people don't get their wisdom teeth until late teens.  I have never heard of a child getting wisdom teeth.  I actually thought that you were talking about 12-year molars.

• Like 3

Just now, Junie said:

I thought you meant that they were causing significant problems at age 10, and that they had come in several years prior.

So he has 29 teeth already?

I didn't count them. He had all of his molars at his last dentist appointment in Oregon and the dentist was emphatic about it. Took x rays and stuff. He was probably 7. I think Alex has 2 molars at 5. I don't know if that's normal. Mary has 2 at 8.

9 minutes ago, Junie said:

Permanent Tooth Eruption - Pediatric Dentist in Frisco

My kids are advanced.

8 minutes ago, Junie said:

Not my dentist, but it looked like a pretty good chart.

My kids have been losing teeth a lot recently.  I'm not sure how many permanent teeth they have.  It's not really something that I keep track of.

Yo tampoco.

4 minutes ago, Junie said:

I'm glad his teeth aren't hurting him.

Me too. That's my big concern. Mine hurt for years bobbing up and down, but I was an adult. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

John has a wisdom tooth. I do not have the patience, money or time for this.

Eta: No pain. I think it's fine. I was just irritated to see it.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Why?  Am I missing something?

28 minutes ago, Slache said:

He's not fully grown and there is a very high chance he will have to have them removed. People in my family tend to get them early and then have them pulled, but novocaine doesn't work on us. It's really awful.

My grandpa and all 3 of his children had it done at about 10. I think 9 through 13. I haven't had my wisdom teeth pulled without medication because I was old enough to have narcotics but I've had a lot of dental work done without it and it's horrible. I used to cry so hard. I think we can give him narcotics though. It will be several hundred dollars a tooth. He's got his dad's huge head though. We'll see.

I was thinking that is a little young for wisdom teeth. My 15 year old’s are just coming up and she’s having hers removed next week.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1