Jump to content

Menu

Ignore this thread!


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Slache said:

I do not see the 4 year thing being clear cut with Notgrass. It jumps around and is less linear than it is a painting done by pack of rabid squirrels.

I know, right?? And yet…. Why am I so strangely drawn to it?? I just don’t get it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I know, right?? And yet…. Why am I so strangely drawn to it?? I just don’t get it.

It's interesting and simple. Read the assignment, fill out the sheet, look at the timeline, BOOM. You're done. And we learned so many weird things with it.

John's excited to do it alone and with him doing below grade level I think it'll be super quick and easy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's interesting and simple. Read the assignment, fill out the sheet, look at the timeline, BOOM. You're done. And we learned so many weird things with it.

John's excited to do it alone and with him doing below grade level I think it'll be super quick and easy.

I may go nuts and divide it up anyways. I sometimes do crazy things like that. 🤪

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's interesting and simple. Read the assignment, fill out the sheet, look at the timeline, BOOM. You're done. And we learned so many weird things with it.

John's excited to do it alone and with him doing below grade level I think it'll be super quick and easy.

Ok, that is true. When DS did Uncle Sam and You, he did learn a ton. He was fascinated. Actually, we all were. We learned so much stuff about the infrastructure of our country I never knew.

I really kind of want to do both. At the same time. The history that we were doing, and then Notgrass. I wonder if I could fit that in.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Slache said:

It's interesting and simple. Read the assignment, fill out the sheet, look at the timeline, BOOM. You're done. And we learned so many weird things with it.

John's excited to do it alone and with him doing below grade level I think it'll be super quick and easy.

 

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, that is true. When DS did Uncle Sam and You, he did learn a ton. He was fascinated. Actually, we all were. We learned so much stuff about the infrastructure of our country I never knew.

I really kind of want to do both. At the same time. The history that we were doing, and then Notgrass. I wonder if I could fit that in.

Which Notgrass series have you used/looked at/considered?

Edited by Susan in TN
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, that is true. When DS did Uncle Sam and You, he did learn a ton. He was fascinated. Actually, we all were. We learned so much stuff about the infrastructure of our country I never knew.

I really kind of want to do both. At the same time. The history that we were doing, and then Notgrass. I wonder if I could fit that in.

Maybe if you made one of them super efficient, for example just listened to SOTW in the car but still do Notgrass fully?  (But that doesn't include HO.)  Or, do SOTW/HO as you were, but make the Notgrass text assigned free reading with no other assignments?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Which Notgrass series have you used/looked at/considered?

Used My Star Spangled Banner (American 1st-4th), he's interested in elementary US geography, all of middle (American, World, Government), and I want to know how that goes because I'm interested in the high school courses for him because I have not found a world geography, economics or government that I like.

50 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Or, do SOTW/HO as you were, but make the Notgrass text assigned free reading with no other assignments?

This is what I'm doing except I'll probably require some assignments from the Notgrass workbook.

History Booya.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

 

Which Notgrass series have you used/looked at/considered?

I have them all. And I did them all with my two older kids. I think Slashie is right in that they are very interesting, but they are simple and don’t go deeper into the meaning of historical events.

But some of their books, like “Uncle Sam and You” cover things that no other history or civics book really do justice to. At leas not that I’ve seen. For example, it goes pretty in depth about elections, campaigns, caucuses and primaries, the responsibilities of the President and Vice-President, all the holidays, all the branches of the military, native Americans, making money, the highway system, National parks….  it is very informative.  Maybe that is where I am having trouble… lots of information but not so much deeper level thinking.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Maybe if you made one of them super efficient, for example just listened to SOTW in the car but still do Notgrass fully?  (But that doesn't include HO.)  Or, do SOTW/HO as you were, but make the Notgrass text assigned free reading with no other assignments?

Now that would be a good idea. Just read the textbooks, which we have already. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Now that would be a good idea. Just read the textbooks, which we have already. 

You don't think you'd buy the workbooks for any of them?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I have them all. And I did them all with my two older kids. I think Slashie is right in that they are very interesting, but they are simple and don’t go deeper into the meaning of historical events.

But some of their books, like “Uncle Sam and You” cover things that no other history or civics book really do justice to. At leas not that I’ve seen. For example, it goes pretty in depth about elections, campaigns, caucuses and primaries, the responsibilities of the President and Vice-President, all the holidays, all the branches of the military, native Americans, making money, the highway system, National parks….  it is very informative.  Maybe that is where I am having trouble… lots of information but not so much deeper level thinking.

My two youngest will be in 7th and 9th - so middle school and high school levels, but I am considering doing a middle school level first and then high school level after that.

Uncle Sam and You sounds very interesting.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm doing everything (reading, spelling, science, grammar) in Spanish except math (TT), Spelling (AAS), and Bible (doubles as English reading). R & S Spanish textbooks and workbooks. We'll finish up the ECC geography for social studies too.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Renai said:

I'm doing everything (reading, spelling, science, grammar) in Spanish except math (TT), Spelling (AAS), and Bible (doubles as English reading). R & S Spanish textbooks and workbooks. We'll finish up the ECC geography for social studies too.

What level are you on for AAS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I have them all. And I did them all with my two older kids. I think Slashie is right in that they are very interesting, but they are simple and don’t go deeper into the meaning of historical events.

 

Do you have the high school levels, too?  How do they compare to the middle school books, particularly in terms of content and interestingness?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fortunately for Juliet there weren't as many booms around here tonight as there usually are on the Fourth of July.  Despite the Sheriff threatening to jail anyone who sets off fireworks (it's dangerously dry around here), people still did set them off and as far as I can tell, no police actually showed up to jail anyone.  And fortunately no fires were set. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had tons of fireworks going off until around midnight last night.  The kids stepped outside in our yard to watch some, the dog was barking his head off every time there were a bunch going off.  

Personal fireworks used to be illegal around here and it wasn't so bad.  That changed about two years ago. 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been basically sitting around resting for the past two days but today I have to get back to work.  I'm feeling better, still a little congested but not as tired.   I need to run by the science center and do some reorganizing, run to my storage unit and get my MUS Algebra book for dd and boxes for my mom, put some plastic drawer sets and a shelf set in the storage unit.   

I had all my clothes in plastic drawers in my bedroom because there was very little space.  We just ordered to long low dressers that we stacked in that spot so I finally have real dressers!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

Still a lot of coughing going on at my house.  😞  I'm (more or less) well now, although I've had some pretty severe headaches (that are probably not related to the illness).  

I have no idea if we're going to accomplish anything today.  I'm just trying to get us all to bedtime.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ikslo said:

What level are you on for AAS?

We are just getting started, so level 1. We should be on level 2 by the time school starts. I have through level 4 since I used it with Dancer long ago.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Renai said:

I'm doing everything (reading, spelling, science, grammar) in Spanish except math (TT), Spelling (AAS), and Bible (doubles as English reading). R & S Spanish textbooks and workbooks. We'll finish up the ECC geography for social studies too.

That is so awesome, Renai.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

I didn't get to sleep until after midnight - that'll learn me to take a 3-1/2 hour nap on a Sunday afternoon!  We all slept late.  Dh and ds26 have the day off work.  Only dd18 is working today.  
   
I am leisurly drinking my coffee and looking at (Warning: Edpo!  Avert yer eyeballs!) science courses available on The Great Courses Plus, which is now called "Wondrium" for ds16 and dd12 who have no science scheduled for the fall.  I am looking at an "everyday engineering" one and either a history of inventions or large structures engineering.  I think both kids would find them at least moderately interesting.   
   
As you were.

I'm making mushroom risotto for dinner tonight, ala Slachey's recipe.  Wish me luck.  Ds16 hates rice, but I'm hoping to convince him to at least try it.  If not, he's stuck with salad, lol.

I need to put up the 4th of July twinkle lights and the red, white, and blue flag banner from the front porch.

Coffee!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The scout troop posted a video from camp - someone brought kazoos for everyone and they were all playing them as they walked to dinner.  What a bunch!

Did I tell you about our crew leader on the Philmont trek?  She made a kazoo earring and every so often when we were hiking she would play her kazoo to keep our spirits up.  We would usually end up singing along.  She was awesome.  I love those girls!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So it looks like I may have sold my MUS Algebra 1 when I thought dd was going to do Teaching Textbooks.   I'm going to do one more check at the science center and make sure it's not there, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to buy it again.  

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

So it looks like I may have sold my MUS Algebra 1 when I thought dd was going to do Teaching Textbooks.   I'm going to do one more check at the science center and make sure it's not there, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to buy it again.  

You might be a homeschool mom if...

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

Warning: Edpo!  Avert yer eyeballs (again)

Should I make dd14 and ds16 do The Art of Argument together, or is that just asking for trouble?  

Is this to get them to argue more frequently?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Warning: Edpo!  Avert yer eyeballs (again)

Should I make dd14 and ds16 do The Art of Argument together, or is that just asking for trouble?  

I think it would make it easier for them to put into practice what they are learning.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just love that I can get back to ITT whenever I want instead of doing all the incantations and human sacrifices like I was doing before to get the Portal opened. I was about ready to throw the cat into the volcano.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

I just love that I can get back to ITT whenever I want instead of doing all the incantations and human sacrifices like I was doing before to get the Portal opened. I was about ready to throw the cat into the volcano.

Yo tambien.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Renai said:

We are just getting started, so level 1. We should be on level 2 by the time school starts. I have through level 4 since I used it with Dancer long ago.

Ah, okay.  I have 3-7 I am going to get rid of, but it sounds like you are a ways away from needing 5-7.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I just love that I can get back to ITT whenever I want instead of doing all the incantations and human sacrifices like I was doing before to get the Portal opened. I was about ready to throw the cat into the volcano.

Which cat?  (Your cats want to know. . . )

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to get water from the water jug and the big (five gallon) water jug cracked on the bottom, leaking water.  I couldn't leave that because over time I would have five gallons of water on my floor.  So Xena transferred (almost) five gallons of water from the cracked (but still almost 42 pounds) jug to an empty one.  I lost about a quart of water on the floor in the process but that wasn't so hard to clean up.  So I guess, despite not being thin or buff yet, these Xena upper body exercises are making me stronger. . .

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The kitchen is almost done.  We're ready to start the floor but before we do that, we have to clear out the dining room because we're going to do the dining room floor at the same time and with the same materials.  Only the dining room is a  huge hoarding spot for me (where isn't in this house?).  I have been working on cleaning out and getting rid of the huge fish tank in there.  It's now empty- I just now need to photograph it and enter it on Nextdoor for free so hopefully someone will take it away.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...