Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

So, this year was a little bit of a weird one for the business given covid and all that.  But overall it's been really good.   But next year is looking like it's going to be amazing.  I already have a day where there's only one space left in four different classes for NEXT YEAR.  As in September.   As in this has never ever happened before, most of my registrations usually come in August.  

I'm meeting a realtor tomorrow to see about expanding into space next to me, and I'm definitely hiring another teacher for next year, but it's really exciting to have this kind of activity this early on.   Next year will be my 5th year in business.

That is so awesome!!

• Like 2

I had a very difficult time getting myself to do anything useful today, but I eventually helped the girls a little with their Clothes Piles of Doom, and unloaded my backpack and put everything away, and emptied a Large Laundry Basket of Stuff that has been on my ignore list for at least 6 months, and ran Wally the Stupid, and took dd18 to the store to find a pair of sandals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  Happy Wednesday.   Thank you for all the congrats.  it's exciting (and a little bit scary).

Today I have three classes with the meeting to look at the space next door on my break between two of them.  Dh is coming to see it as well so if I have to run back, he can get more information.

So I discovered a really really cool activity.  I've done an activity in the past with flashlights with colored cellophane over them, where you shine them on a piece of paper so the lights hit the paper at the same point and it is white.  Then you put things in the beams to make shadows and they are really cool, all different colors.  Kids love it.  

I found another activity that uses color changing lights (cheap on Amazon).   I have foam pieces in all the rainbow colors.  Kids look at them and do a quick drawing with yellow highlighter.  Then use the lights to scroll through all the different colors and look at how the foam and the highlighter look under the various colors of light.    Great demonstration how a color can't be seen unless that wavelength of light is available.  Plus the highlighter is invisible under some colors of light but glows under the blue/purple colors.   Even the high schoolers thought it was really cool.  (I have a slide that shows where different colors of light are likely to contain on the spectrum since for example red will have a little orange and yellow).  

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!

COFfEE!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

It’s gonna be a hot one today. 97 degrees, I think.

School and work. I need this school year to be over. Hopefully next year will be better, at least regarding work.

DH got his braces. He’s doing all right. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wheres Toto said:

Did we not get anywhere with deciding about starting a new thread?  I feel like getting into the thread is getting harder each day.   

I’m not sure that would help. I have trouble getting on the Chat board, too. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I need a new, light, easy read.  I just can't get into Ready, Player Two.  What are your recommendations?

I got nothin’! My reading habits have plummeted lately. I started Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah, and it’s okay. I need to finish it, though. I’ve been wasting too much time watching Hallmark movies. That’s about all I have the mental energy for these days.

• Like 2

Good morning!  Happy Cinco De Mayo!

How are you feeling today, Junie?  Does stormy spring weather make things more diffictult?

Jean, neat and tidy is ambitious enough!

I have little mental energy for reading as well.  I may be counting a couple of our storytime read-alouds in my reading challenge.

I need to write some sympathy cards.  That may require more mental energy than I have today.  Because first thing after I am dressed is a trip with dd12 to the AFSA.  Svengo.

Coffee!

• Like 3

I've been reading mostly light romances or dystopian literature from Kindle Unlimited.   Something I can easily put down when I need to do other things, then pick it up again later.   Anything that's really good, I want to finish in one sitting so either stay up way too late at night or fail to get other things done.  

ETA:  A bad book booya (okay not BAD, just not exactly fine literature.  or grammatically correct in any way)

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 4

So, when I say "bad" about kindle unlimited, it's not that I think all reading has to be fine literature.   I actually LOVE romances (we have a romance author on here and I really enjoyed her books).  It's just that so much of the free stuff on Kindle Unlimited is truly awful.   Very awkward writing, unrealistic characters, discontinuity problems.    I have definitely found things worth reading, and I have a few favorite authors that I read a lot of stuff from.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

So, when I say "bad" about kindle unlimited, it's not that I think all reading has to be fine literature.   I actually LOVE romances (we have a romance author on here and I really enjoyed her books).  It's just that so much of the free stuff on Kindle Unlimited is truly awful.   Very awkward writing, unrealistic characters, discontinuity problems.    I have definitely found things worth reading, and I have a few favorite authors that I read a lot of stuff from.

I agree with you here. I don’t do Kindle, but I am looking for something that is semi-well-written.

• Like 3

Garden report:

I am trying to re-calibrate my thinking to gardening for gardening sake.  Ie. weeding for weeding sake.  I actually enjoy my time out there and it is good for me so it shouldn't be hard to do.

I weeded this morning for an hour. 

Then after lunch, chiropractor and errands, I changed into my weed-whacking pantz and went out for my ten minutes of weed whacking. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I survived AFSA (barely) and all the other doings.  I was able to get a string quartet recital flyer made that I was generally happy with so that's done.  I also rearranged "Let Me Down Easy" for string trio instead of quartet because suprise! Lol.  It wasn't too difficult.  So that's a couple things off my List of Things To Stress Over.

I realized today that I haven't made/ordered any graduation announcements for my two graduates.  There's not a big rush for that.

• Like 2

We finished On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness today.  I wasn't terribly impressed with it.  Had some good quirks and interesting parts but I just didn't find the characters, setting, or story terribly compelling.  And it was awkward to read aloud.  Not as awkward as G.A. Henty, but enough.  Maybe the surgery has addled my brain.

We'll start Because of Winn Dixie tomorrow.  I cheated and read the first few chapters already. 😁

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Good morning!

I am determined to get myself outside to hike a hill this morning.  Don't want to, but the ground has dried up and it's not supposed to rain until this afternoon and it needs to be done.  Maybe I can get dd to come with me.  

I need to start making lists.  My parents will be here a week from tomorrow and there are Things that need to be done in preparation.  Like moving dh's work space so they have a place to sleep.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Yay portal!   

Yay, Junie survived all of yesterday!

I hiked up and down The Hill 4 times.  It wasn't too bad, though my knees were like "what the carp is going on here", and I found a nice assortment of bones and entrails along the way - Somebody had quite the feast last night.  Must drink more water.

Jean has inspired me to go back to doing the Fabulous50s YouTube 10 minute ab workout.  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Chester is giving me his low growl of complaint because I stopped petting him.  Spoiled pup. 😂

Spoiled cat woke me up this morning 5 minutes before my alarm went off demanding high quality loves. 🐈

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Weeded my three (actually I've snuck in a two more) zones.  I do get discouraged that two of those zones are actual repeat zones that I'm doing a second time but I guess that's the nature of weeds.  

I got some huge root mats out by the tree we cut down.  Exciting, I know!  But it is kind of exciting because at some point in the future I want to plant something more suited for that spot and to do that the root mats have to be gone. 

I also did my ten minutes of weed whacking in my proper weed-whacking plants. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't get in this morning but now it let me in first try!

One more day left to this week, then 3 weeks to Memorial Day when I'm off for a week, then back for 3 days to wrap up this year.  Definitely in the homestretch now.    I'm going to have to make lists and schedules for all the things I want to get done over the summer. 

Dh and I took a look at the space next door to us yesterday and it looks like we are going to take about 600 square feet of it, which will gain us two classrooms and an office/storage room.   So total we will have about 1800 square feet, 4 classrooms, a large lobby/waiting room, an office/storage space, storage closet (may repurpose, not sure), a kitchen, bathroom and some hallway space. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I got in, too. Baby has been taking this Outschool class called Tour of Italy. I haven’t had to cook dinner all week. Tonight we are having Turkey meatball sandwiches. That Outschool thing is awesome. Middle DD is taking a drawing class.

• Like 3

Happy Friday!  My highschoolers are finished except for one class.  Youngest finishes next week.  And she decided to take summer off from violin, so that's another thing finished for now.  🎉  Next week I hope to start shoveling out from under my desk and file school work and other stuff.  

One of my ds's showed me a Tim Hawkins video last night that I hadn't seen before, which prompted me to find and share some of his older stuff.  End result, I stayed up late ROFL at Tim Hawkins.  That was great.  

Yay for more classroom space and weeding and reading and Tours of Italy and string trios and quartets and recitals and surviving morning, noon and night!

More coffee!  Then my to-do list!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

Good morning!

(At least it's still morning here; apologies to Eastern time zone people)

Thanks for the coffee, Lynn!  Awesome to look forward to some breathing space!  I have 16 more days of excitement, then we are off to Lake Powell with dd18.

Dd14 went with me to hike up the hill.  I made it up and down 5 times today.  It was a real slog back to the van, though, especially watching dd14 skip along as though she had been lounging at the beach the whole time!  🙄

As soon as we're done with lunch I'm taking ds15 to get a haircut, then pick up dd18 from work, then try to get some things done around here.

Coffee!

• Like 4

We had our Friday night DIY date night.  We hit all the biggies tonight:  Home Depot, Lowe's and some smaller flooring stores.  We went to the flooring stores because we started to wonder if waiting 6 - 8 weeks for our flooring from Lowe's was worth it.  But the floors at the flooring stores were eye-popping EXPENSIVE! And not as nice.  (In our opinion).  The good thing is that we are confirmed in liking what we ordered.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We had our Friday night DIY date night.  We hit all the biggies tonight:  Home Depot, Lowe's and some smaller flooring stores.  We went to the flooring stores because we started to wonder if waiting 6 - 8 weeks for our flooring from Lowe's was worth it.  But the floors at the flooring stores were eye-popping EXPENSIVE! And not as nice.  (In our opinion).  The good thing is that we are confirmed in liking what we ordered.

The flooring store might not have gotten them to you any quicker.  We got our floors from a flooring store with signs everywhere about all the stuff they had IN STOCK!! But then it was still weeks because the in stock stuff was at a local warehouse and they didn't have enough truck drivers to actually deliver it promptly.  

• Like 2