Menu

33 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

You're not using Notgrass?

Not this year. We started SoTW last Christmas after we finished California History. I am combining it with some History Odyssey and recs from the second edition of TWTM. It’s going really well, actually. But..... I love Notgrass. I love the books, I love the literature..... maybe I should do both. All of it. Just have our school be history.

Hmmmmm, now there’s an idea.

It’s a History Booya/h, Baby!!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 193.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I’m not saying this to absolve us of anything we do or not do as homeschool parents, but through my experience as a homeschool parent, a teacher, observing experiences of my friends, and just reading books like “Educated” by Tara Westover, I really think the majority of whether a person is educated or not depends on the student.- how absorptive their mind is, how much they thirst for knowledge, how much they want it.  Yes, the teacher, curriculum, and educational environment is important, but I don’t think it’s as crucial to the outcome as we like to believe. 

I feel like there is nothing but evidence to support this, but we're bombarded with people telling us it's not true, from curriculum sellers to competitive moms.

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I'm feeling this in certain areas with LL. You can lead a horse to water... after a while you're exhausted and the horse still won't drink and you start asking yourself if maybe you ought to just get out of the way and let the horse find it's own dang water. (not for everything, but it makes me re-examine what is really important)

yes!

This reminds me of a t-shirt

A9A03BA3-6E71-48B2-80D1-0CE646775F35.jpeg

• Thanks 3

I'm cold.  And I want something hot to eat.  But I dont wanna fix it.  😜   

I might need to get some fingerless, indoor gloves for Christmas.  My hands are cold all the time and it's just barely into the 60s today.  What will I do when it's freezing?  🥶  😭   

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We read about carnivorous plants in science. Now the girls are absolutely fascinated. I think they are pretty creepy.

We can't seem to keep them alive at my house.  Not for lack of food, though. Lol  

Time for mandolin lesson!

• Haha 2

Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Night.  

I didn't get on this morning.  Had to drive dh to work since his car wasn't done until this afternoon, met dd for workout and did some nice yoga, had this thread open and was getting ready to respond over my second cup of tea and my teacher arrived and we had to do some rearranging (we're moving things so she can spread out her students more).   No second cup of tea and no back to the boards until now.   

• Like 3

I'm loving the weather. It's 41. I have lived here over a year and I'm in love with the weather every day. We skipped school, had hot chocolate and watched a movie to celebrate the cold. Last week they were swimming. I love Texas. 🤠

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Junie said:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Evangelische_Kirche_Feudingen?uselang=de#/media/File:Kirche_Feudingen.jpg

I was doing some genealogy research last night and found out the my 10th-great-grandparents were married in this church in 1654.

I just added "visit Germany" to my mental bucket list.

That's so cool!  What do you use to get access to records in other countries?  Are they translated into English?

My research has pretty much stalled because I don't have access to records in other countries and even the records I can find are hard to translate.

One thing I was able to find was the church in Copenhagen where dh's great-grandmother was baptised in 1873ish.  When ds25 and I were in Copenhagen we found the church which was having a used book sale and we bought a hymnal from the 1870's.  That was really cool.  

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

That's so cool!  What do you use to get access to records in other countries?  Are they translated into English?

I found this just by googling their names.  Someone else's info from ancestry popped up in the search.  I'm assuming/hoping the info is correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Junie said:

I found this just by googling their names.  Someone else's info from ancestry popped up in the search.  I'm assuming/hoping the info is correct.

Well that was a V8 moment - google the names.  It didn't even occur to me!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
40 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Well that was a V8 moment - google the names.  It didn't even occur to me!

Google is your friend, unless you have Millers in your tree.  That line is completely stuck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The a Dodgers won the World Series. It was a fairly uneventful game.now o owe the kids ice cream.

Nothing of note happened today.

DH and DD went to the Spy Museum. I was rather envious.

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

DH and DD went to the Spy Museum. I was rather envious.

I'm rather envious, too.  I've not been yet, but I've heard it's really nice. 

I don't like doing museums with dh and the kids.  If we go to a museum, dh reads every.single.thing and I end up taking care of the kids.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

Morning. It's not insomnia. I was sleeping like a log until the cat puked and the husband decided he needed to get up and clean everything. So now I'm up and having my morning caffeine a bit early.

On curriculum: I think the best curriculum is the one that doesn't make the student hate the subject, but there are things that are super-easy to hate, even with the best curriculum and awesome teachers. I can also say that just because someone hates something at one point in their life, they may not hate it forever, and learning doesn't end at high school or college. So there's that. Sometimes it takes time for motivation to kick in.

In other news, I was up to walking 4 miles a day as of yesterday, but I tweaked my knee on some loose gravel, and it was really sore yesterday. So I think I'll take the day off to rest it. It already feels better today than it did yesterday afternoon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I had two dreams.

Someone I know has this thing where if I tell her no she sits directly in front of me with her back to me, her arms crossed and gauffs until I address the situation. I hate it. Last night I dreamed she did that so I called the police.

I also dreamed we almost bought a family owned restaraunt with an attached home so that we could use the dining room as a playroom, but all 3 elevators were broken and I guess my family does not do stairs in my dreams because that was a deal breaker.

Drama queen in my seepies. Coffee.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
On 10/26/2020 at 7:35 PM, Spudater said:

12 months!  Wow!

She is very growly now. It's so hilarious to hear the sweet little coos mixed up with growls!  And every time she latches on she lets out a possessive little one like "mine!". She is rolling like a champ and pushing herself all the way up on her hands...I think she'll be an early crawler.

Newbie just turned 3 months old and I'm trying figure out where the time went! He rolled from his back to his belly for the first time yesterday by accident and then had no idea what to do next and started crying. 

Middle was an early walker. Never crawled or scooted. Ever. Started standing up on his own at 8 months and was full out running and walking up and the down stairs unassisted (independent, stubborn little guy) by 9 months.

Oldest didn't even see the point in trying to walk until he was over a year old.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Is this a real thing? Where? Link? I'm thinking this would make an excellent Christmas gift for Oldest.

I'm not sure about that shirt, but snorgtees dot com has a lot of funny ones.  

• Like 2

Good morning!

Congratulations, Sportsball!

We went to the spy museum way back when - it was expensive, but fun.  I remember going to the National Archives and all the security people would plead with visitors to NOT form a line and just go on in, but everyone insisted on forming a line.  Our family group (of 10) followed the request and just went in all willy-nilly and boy, did we get the Looks, lol!

Cello lesson road trip, zoom music theory, and youth group tonight.  Ds15 is trying to figure out how to make a Sherlock Holmes hat. 

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

I had a really weird dream.  I was trying to hang a closet organizer for dd12, my neighbor was trying to get a Coke machine put into his basement, Chuck Schumer was requesting blueberry pancakes and Joni Ernst wanted Mr. Goodbars.  And somehow this all made sense until the moment I woke up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
45 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Is this a real thing? Where? Link? I'm thinking this would make an excellent Christmas gift for Oldest.

Hopefully this is a link to etsy:

OK, that's not working.  Try searching etsy. 

• Like 1

Maybe we don't need a new math program, but just supplemental games to help him re-cement the math facts. How on earth can he master and then forget 2+5, but he remembers how to skip count by 7s all the way to 7x12?!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Maybe we don't need a new math program, but just supplemental games to help him re-cement the math facts. How on earth can he master and then forget 2+5, but he remembers how to skip count by 7s all the way to 7x12?!

I still can't figure out how dd can't memorize multiplication facts, but has forever remembered square roots!

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Yeah, yeah. Slachie knows all the things. 😂

Matt designs T shirts. I've done a few under his account.

24 minutes ago, Junie said:

Hobbling around the house with my cane today.

There's a hurricane a'comin', y'all.

(((Junie)))

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Math Mammoth taught a 2-person card game where you divide the deck (or decks -  number cards only) between the two people and each person lays down a card.  You add the numbers together and the person who calls out the correct sum gets the cards.  Whoever has the most cards at the end wins.  You can do it with multiplication, too.  I suppose you can even do it with multiple players if you want to add more than two numbers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Are your kids dressing up for Halloween (with or without trick-or-treating)?  My kids are.  The highschoolers are dressing up for a "Fall Party" at tutorial tomorrow.  Dd17 is going as Sans (a character from a video game), ds15 is going as Sherlock Holmes, Dd14 will be a snowy owl, and dd11 a chef.

• Like 3