• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Yesterday, I decided to wash her hair.  She had been in the hospital bed for two weeks, and it was dirty.  So I managed to do it.  I dried it and curled it and sprayed it.  Nan asked for make up, and

Morning, Happy Monday.

I ate so much yesterday for dinner I didn't have dessert at all.  Even looking at the chocolate cake sitting on the counter this morning, I had no desire for a piece.  

I spent much of yesterday putting together cabinets, which then resulted in a seriously swollen wrist, sore back, and achy knees. But they are all together and mounted to the wall.  I'm heading in early today to finish organizing stuff before classes start at 10am.   

I'm "behind" this week.  I have a bunch of finalizing to do for a bunch of classes but it's not too different from how I did classes last year and the year before.  I was just not doing it as much this year but sometimes that's how things go. 

• Like 4

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Dd14 has a retainer check and dd12 is getting braces on this morning, so we have to get moving.  Tonight is children's choir in the park, youth orchestra, and scouts.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

I haven't made my to-do list for this week, so I'm not really sure what's going on yet.  I did make assignment sheets for the kids, so at least they know what they're doing (or supposed to be doing).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Monday, but it is a holiday yet, so I am happy.

Had a good afternoon yesterday with DH’s family. It was a beautiful day, the ham turned out good, even though I forgot to put on the glaze.

• Like 4

Last evening dh was working on the kitchen construction and had the back door open.  Our indoor-only cat slipped outside and Juliet was so upset!  So we told her to "get the kitty" and she herded him right back in the house.  It can be handy to have a good herding dog around! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The Portal opened, so I feel like I should say something,  but I don’t have much to say.  Actually, I have nothing to say. I’ve been mostly lazy all day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are back from All The Places.  The girls' scout troop has had 6 Eagles awarded this year.  It's amazing for one troop to have that many, but especially when you consider that they all started the program only 2 years ago.  They are all wonderful people and my girls really look up to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I climbed a 1000 foot high hill today on my treadmill.  It was sweaty work.  I don't like it, especially because I discovered that I can't do Duolingo French and the treadmill at the same time.

Dd12 is unhappy with her mouth.  It hurts.  She's eaten nothing but leftover banana pudding and ice cream today.  Tomorrow will hopefully be better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was lazy all day. Watched too many Hallmark movies. I blame Angi. Ham and bean soup turned out right tasty. And I finished all the ham leftovers from yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

I am going to try to get to the hill park this morning if there is time between dh driving ds25 back from the auto mechanic and dd18's job interview.  Otherwise I will need to go this afternoon when it is hot out.

Coffee!

• Like 2

Morning.  Happy Tuesday.

Dd and I took a walk this morning.  My Fitbit broke last week so I don't know how many steps (and can't do the challenge this week!).  I ordered a new, slightly nicer one.  I had the Inspire, which is the only waterproof one under $100.  Then I was considering a different brand and was searching for the best smart/fitness watch for under $100 and almost pulled the trigger on a AmazFit, but then searched for Fitbits and found a nice Alta for $103.  Since I was used to Fitbits and already had an account and everything and it was only $30 more than the "cheap" option, I decided to go with that.  But it won't be here until tomorrow.  

Today is the last day for my Harry Potter class so I'm doing an Escape Room with them.   It's 8:30am and I have until 11:30am to finish my tea, glue eyes onto owls made from washclothes, set up all the lock boxes, attach strings to keys, etc.   Shouldn't be a problem, I have a chart of how everything needs to go.    The challenge is they got their letters but all their owls have been kidnapped and locked in a cage.  In order to send their acceptances back and get their supply lists, they need to free their owls.    Hopefully they'll enjoy it.  They probably will, this group enjoys everything, they are a great group of kids. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We're at the stage of The Pollening where it looks like somebody got loose outdoors with a sprayer full of watered-down chartreuse paint.

Progress is being made on the bathroom. I'm really hoping it's done by the 19th, when we start standardized testing, & I can do a lot of cleaning and decluttering during our break the following week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

11:45 pm and dh is still "at work" (in his downstairs office).  He started at 7:30 this morning. . .    Some big project that they are trying to get done.  I hope that he can get it done soon and can go to bed. 

Quoting myself to say that he didn't get to bed until after 3:30 am.  And then he was up again at 7 pm to put in one last hour with his team until they got the project done at 8 am.  He's now gone to bed! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Like Krissi, I should say something, but I have nothing interesting to report. Hugs to those who need ‘em - new braces, lack of sleep, the doldrums, etc. and trophies to - to Xena, and weed hackers, science teachers, hill climbers, and Hallmark watchers!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning, Happy Wednesday.  

The kids enjoyed the escape room but it definitely didn't go according to plan.  No working together, one kid kept wanting to break open boxes instead of finding the keys/passcodes, same kid also kept grabbing things that other kids were working on.    I think if I do another one for this particular group, I'll set up different paths that they do separately or in smaller groups (although there were only 6 in the class) and have to complete their path before getting together as a group for the final challenge.  Or something like that.  I did an escape room with most of this group earlier in the year (CSI theme) and it went much better than this one.  

Three classes today.  Today and Friday are the only days I'm starting the last session this week because we didn't have snow days.  All other classes start next week, which is good because it gives me the weekend to finalize the plans for the last session.  I'm doing it as I go along this week, something I haven't had to do too much this year.  I've been doing a lot of finalizing on the weekends, but I haven't had to finish up the night before since last year. 

• Like 4

Morning. Taking advantage of a quiet internet period to catch up on some things. It's about to rain today, my dryer is still broken, and they say we might get some severe weather today, but...my kids get their first COVID vaccination today! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

It's going to be another Warm day!  Not quite Slachey warm, but close enough.  Rain/storms tonight.

I have a nurse pre-op call this morning where apparently she needs me to give her all the information on my past medical history and current medical care team that I have already given to literally every hospital system in the city.  Why must we go through it again?  After that is a meeting with my health coach, then Aldi shopping.

Dd12 is still not chewing food.  I blended up some yogurt and strawberries for her breakfast.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

Between a poky computer and the ITT being sick, I had a hard time getting in here today.  Any word from The Powers That Be on whether we should start a new thread or not?

Math experiment with dd13 went ok.  I think we'll keep trying this at least sometimes to see if it helps her.  (We did the lesson together orally -- she tends to get frustrated with all of the writing.)

Grocery and pharmacy pick ups done.  I am so thankful for these services, especially the grocery pickup.  Such a time saver!  And with my arthritis, it is probably adding years to my life.

• Like 3

All my plans for today went out the window.  I had two classes with activities to be done outside.   All the weather reports said it was going to be a nice sunny, breezy day.  Then I was sitting having my tea this morning and I heard RAIN!  Rain on the skylight.   So I need to come up with plan b at the last minute.   The sun did come out in the afternoon and we did manage a few minutes outside trying out telescopes in Astronomy, but it wasn't my full plan.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dh is heading down to his mom's for the weekend.  He's leaving tomorrow because it's her birthday.   I should be able to get lots and lots of work done this weekend since I won't be distracted by basketball playing in the background. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm up. Awake? Not yet. That takes time.

Big day with a lot of writing in it, but some cooking, too. I was shocked I got on this morning at all. Must be the hour--I can generally do more online before eight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  Happy Thursday!

Walked with dd this morning, having my tea while browsing WTM.  I have three classes today but don't start until 11:30am.  Thursday is also one of my easier days.  

• Like 4

Good morning!

It rained a good inch last night so I am trying to decide if I should go climb my usual hill (which will have a slippery mud section toward the top) or if I should go to the larger hill of death which will be slower going but might not be quite as slippery in the steep part.

Gotta bring kids to tutorial, get gas in the van, then pick up books at the library and go to a hill.

Is that how you spell "steep"?  It looks wrong to me.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

Dd13 flew through her math this morning because she has a project that she wants to work on and I told her she couldn't do it until after homeschool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went with the usual hill.  Went to the tippy top and didn't like the slipperiness so for the remaining laps I did the last steep section twice.

I've been learning about nose breathing during exercise to mimic high altitude training (ala Patrick Mckeown and https://youtu.be/OwChVOMXE3k ). I did some of the warm-up breath holding on my way down the hill as well.  Apparently you are training your body to tolerate higher levels of CO2.

It was remarkable how much easier it was getting to the top of the hills - not easy, but my breathing was much much more controlled and my heart wasn't beating out of my chest and my legs didn't turn to jelly, even after adding an extra lap.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Toto - are you able to get bone broth?  I got a message from my Amazon subscription that they are out of stock and now I am totally out of my supply.  Ack!  How is Xena supposed to get stronger without being able to drink the crushed up bones of her enemies?! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We may need to hire some Huns to keep us in supply of bones!

In other news, I have toothpaste being delivered to me today from Amazon because I was dreading a trip to AFSA.  It was also cheaper than AFSA.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Toto - are you able to get bone broth?  I got a message from my Amazon subscription that they are out of stock and now I am totally out of my supply.  Ack!  How is Xena supposed to get stronger without being able to drink the crushed up bones of her enemies?! 

We just got some March 20th and our next delivery is due May 3rd.  The main page for it does say currently unavailable.   We actually have some stocked up because I ordered outside of our subscription because I wanted an extra to have at the science center for the days I workout with dd and have my tea there.  Since that's only twice a week at most, and it's just me not dh as well, that one lasts a really long time. 

Dh has been really really impressed with how much it helps.  He needs an ankle replacement or fusion, plus has knee issues and he says he can really tell the difference when he has it.   He's a lot less snarky when I say I learned something "on my boards" these days.     

• Like 5

Dh is down at his moms so I'm making quesadillas with leftover chicken for dd and I.  Ds will eat one of his usual standard prepared foods. 

One of the days he's gone I want to get Chipotle or Moe's burrito bowl with chips.  I haven't had either in a while and have a bit of a craving.  I'll have to see if the quesadillas satisfies the craving or not.

I've been pretty good all week.  Eating salads, oatmeal, lots of veggies.   Spring makes it so much easier to eat light and healthy.

• Like 5

My MS/HS Biology class today learned about mammals and dissected a brain.   We finished early and started talking about weird things people eat, leading to a discussion of how people figured out certain things were edible, and cultural differences in what is considered edible, then got into a discussion about intelligent animals, like octopi.  That led to what is civilization and couldn't certain animals have "civilization" even if it doesn't look like what we consider civilization?  

This is why I love teaching teenagers.  We can have some really fun and funky conversations.   Although I've had some similar conversations with tweens too.  

• Like 5

Jean - are you craving bananas?!?!

It's a Bananas Booyah!! 

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends

Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps

But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in

That what seems a little nuts might actually save me

From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Bananas!

Where did that come from?

I have no bananas also, but I could have banana bread if I wanted, and now I want.

Other than that, status quo. Writing my fingers off, stressing some days, going on for others. 

• Like 4