Menu

3 minutes ago, Spudater said:

My kids liked reading LoF but I don't think it actually taught them much math.

I regularly assign odds only and feel no guilt.

I make my kids do all the things and feel no guilt. Everyone is always "Only do odds!" and I'm always like "Noooooooo..."

Mean mom booya!

Edited by Slache
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 193.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

so

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

I make my kids do all the things and feel no guilt. Everyone is always "Only do odds!" and I'm always like "Noooooooo..."

By nature I am a do all the things type person but for some kids and some assignments it does more harm than  good.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Spudater said:

so

By nature I am a do all the things type person but for some kids and some assignments it does more harm than  good.

I am just very worried about math. I don't think any homeschooler I grew up with had a decent education so I am bound and determined to do it right. In order to do Saxon properly at this age we only have to do a lesson 3 times a week so I have plenty of grace without having to kill them.

• Like 4

I don't even assign all of the odds or evens. Only as much as I think he needs to understand or review. And he still balks. I'm telling you, I wish I could schedule a field trip to a public school classroom sometimes. I think he'd appreciate me more afterward. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Slache said:

I am just very worried about math. I don't think any homeschooler I grew up with had a decent education so I am bound and determined to do it right. In order to do Saxon properly at this age we only have to do a lesson 3 times a week so I have plenty of grace without having to kill them.

Only 3 times a week?! I might have to rethink this as a possibility.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

Any of you use or have opinions on Life of Fred? I'm looking for SOMETHING Oldest will DO for math. CLE and R&S are what we've used so far. He seems to do better with mastery but HATES to write anything in any subject. He LOVES reading, so thought maybe this would work?

I had one who absolutely loved LOF, and one who absolutely hated it.  We only used it as a supplement.  I believe math should be at least "practiced" daily.  I get not wanting to switch around, but if it's not working, it's not working.  And I have had math not work.  We liked our combo of Saxon or CLE, not doing every single problem (only doing enough, depending on understanding) and whiteboard practice and LOF or some other supplement.  At least, for that particular child.  The other child has absolutely flourished with Teaching Textbooks and we are staying with it for him.  The only supplements I use for him are speed drills.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

That is interesting. I always thought Saxon was a heavy curriculum. So when I'm talking about assigning odds it's more like, whew, there are sixty problems on my fourth-graders assignment, I think that's a little much. And ours is every day.

• Like 1

Sorry, Servie, that wasn't very helpful of me. I think part of it is the age. It seems like little kid math is so much easier and then it gets more abstract in late elem and just really throws them. We've had our share of tears and tantrums.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I had one who absolutely loved LOF, and one who absolutely hated it.  We only used it as a supplement.  I believe math should be at least "practiced" daily.  I get not wanting to switch around, but if it's not working, it's not working.  And I have had math not work.  We liked our combo of Saxon or CLE, not doing every single problem (only doing enough, depending on understanding) and whiteboard practice and LOF or some other supplement.  At least, for that particular child.  The other child has absolutely flourished with Teaching Textbooks and we are staying with it for him.  The only supplements I use for him are speed drills.

Ugh. Don't get me started. That's a whole other battle. Gnashing of teeth as Critter calls it.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Slache said:

Mean mom booya!

I will just say that Everyone does not include Ellie. :)

I won't even say how we use Saxon.  It might cause Ellie (or others) a near-death experience and I'm not taking on that responsibility.

Ellie did convince me that it's important to do every problem, but we only implement that in high school.  Before high school, we use Saxon... differently.  But, this is so that I don't have a near-death experience so I feel that it's warranted.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
7 hours ago, Ellie said:

And then I had to play a few more of Three Dog Nights' videos. Good times.

No Jeremiah was a bullfrog?  

That song (Joy to the world) is actually dh's ringtone on my phone.  

• Like 2

We did Math Mammoth with a bunch of supplements through 6th grade for ds and 4th grade for dd.  Then dd did Envision math, then a workbook I can't remember the name of for pre-algebra, then Key to Algebra, now she's doing Key to Algebra again.   Ds is doing MUS Algebra 2 and Jacob's Geometry.  

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

Any of you use or have opinions on Life of Fred? I'm looking for SOMETHING Oldest will DO for math. CLE and R&S are what we've used so far. He seems to do better with mastery but HATES to write anything in any subject. He LOVES reading, so thought maybe this would work?

I tried using it as a Friday supplement because I had some books given to me and DS rebelled after a few lessons. We dropped it.  I don’t think he bought into the story line.  

• Like 3

Thanks. Good to know and moving on....

Online is not an option.

He's in fourth grade.

Beast Academy. Might even consider starting with level 3.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spudater said:

Sorry, Servie, that wasn't very helpful of me. I think part of it is the age. It seems like little kid math is so much easier and then it gets more abstract in late elem and just really throws them. We've had our share of tears and tantrums.

How's Little Miss Empress doing? I laughed at your post about her watching food at the table hoping to get a bite. We're not there yet, but Newbie is growing sooo fast! Or is it because he's kiddo number 3 that it seems that way? He recently jumped into 12m clothes. 😭

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

How's Little Miss Empress doing? I laughed at your post about her watching food at the table hoping to get a bite. We're not there yet, but Newbie is growing sooo fast! Or is it because he's kiddo number 3 that it seems that way? He recently jumped into 12m clothes. 😭

He probably is just growing that fast.  My first two grew like that, so nothing to do with seeming that way.  😭

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

12 months!  Wow!

She is very growly now. It's so hilarious to hear the sweet little coos mixed up with growls!  And every time she latches on she lets out a possessive little one like "mine!". She is rolling like a champ and pushing herself all the way up on her hands...I think she'll be an early crawler.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Spudater said:

12 months!  Wow!

She is very growly now. It's so hilarious to hear the sweet little coos mixed up with growls!  And every time she latches on she lets out a possessive little one like "mine!". She is rolling like a champ and pushing herself all the way up on her hands...I think she'll be an early crawler.

Aw! Where's my 😍 reaction? Newbie keeps finding his thumb. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I double-checked and apparently it's 3.3 times a week and that is only because we don't do the tests. I work with him side-by-side so I know what he does and doesn't know and I'm not worried about tests right now. I was going to start tests in algebra. So, it's my plan to do math every day but if he is too tired and has to stop, if a lesson is too long and he only wants to do half, if he is sick and doesn't want to do math that day, whatever the deal is, I really just don't care if he doesn't do it because we aren't falling behind. We started 5/4 at half a lesson a day in 3rd. He's doing full lessons now and almost ready for 6/5. I think in January.

Fixed my eggs just for you Slachie!

I love them! They are very you.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Junie said:

I will just say that Everyone does not include Ellie. 🙂

I won't even say how we use Saxon.  It might cause Ellie (or others) a near-death experience and I'm not taking on that responsibility.

Ellie did convince me that it's important to do every problem, but we only implement that in high school.  Before high school, we use Saxon... differently.  But, this is so that I don't have a near-death experience so I feel that it's warranted.

We are this way with R&S English.  If there is a worksheet, they do that instead of the textbook lesson.  Textbook exercises are reduced.  Until the 6th grade book, which my kids do twice - once in 6th grade and again in 7th grade - everything has to be done in this book unless it is a purely writing lesson, which they do with other curriculums.

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I miss choosing the right curriculum for the right kid. But I don’t miss the stress!  

I love curriculum. I always have this “grass is always greener” syndrome with History, though. We’re having a great time doing what we’re doing, but I keep thinking, “maybe Notgrass next year....” but I know if I change over I will wish we were doing what we are doing this year. I’m a wreck. Don’t listen to me.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
13 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So, ITT is kinda quiet tonight. Not much going on. DH and DD saw Monticello and Mt. Vernon today. Seems like they are having a good time.

I've been to Mount Vernon, but not Monticello.  I would really like to go someday.

I've also been to Williamsburg, where they were yesterday.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I love curriculum. I always have this “grass is always greener” syndrome with History, though. We’re having a great time doing what we’re doing, but I keep thinking, “maybe Notgrass next year....” but I know if I change over I will wish we were doing what we are doing this year. I’m a wreck. Don’t listen to me.

My curriculum choices were so specific to my "hexagonal pegs" that didn't fit the peg board of public school or the peg board of "mainstream homeschooling " either.  But that was the beauty of it - I didn't have to make them fit anyone else's idea of how homeschooling should work.  And who knows if I made the absolute best choices?  I did my best anyway. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  I got to sleep in!  But coffee is brewing now.  

Ah, yes, curriculum hunting.  Those were the good ol' days.  Last night my ds asked about adding in Logic, but logic curriculum is not very exciting, lol.    

Math - I like CLE until I don't.  I like Saxon until I don't.  I like the idea of a bunch of others, but they didn't workout here.  And I really love the math teacher at our local homeschool highschool center.  She is awesome!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I don't remember if I've been to Mt Vernon (probably have), but I've been to most of the places with school field trips, if nothing else.  That's part of the beauty of growing up in Virginia.  My class never went to DC, but we've been several times.  I took DD when she was 8, but ds13 hasn't been.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I don't have this, but I have these grandiose dreams of mom intensive work with all the books and all the crafts and all the things and then I'm sad they don't happen.

38 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I love researching curriculum, and if I could own it all, I would.  

Yes.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't have this, but I have these grandiose dreams of mom intensive work with all the books and all the crafts and all the things and then I'm sad they don't happen.

I used to feel that way.  Except for the crafts.  I was not sad about the crafts.  😜 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I was definitely a wreck yesterday after sitting in on two college freshman classes with dd17 - moral philosophy and arithmetic.  I have clearly completely failed in her education so far.  BUT, I have a few more months to cram everything into her head that she lacks, so there's that!  Lol.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I was definitely a wreck yesterday after sitting in on two college freshman classes with dd17 - moral philosophy and arithmetic.  I have clearly completely failed in her education so far.  BUT, I have a few more months to cram everything into her head that she lacks, so there's that!  Lol.  

I’m not saying this to absolve us of anything we do or not do as homeschool parents, but through my experience as a homeschool parent, a teacher, observing experiences of my friends, and just reading books like “Educated” by Tara Westover, I really think the majority of whether a person is educated or not depends on the student.- how absorptive their mind is, how much they thirst for knowledge, how much they want it.  Yes, the teacher, curriculum, and educational environment is important, but I don’t think it’s as crucial to the outcome as we like to believe. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

You're not using Notgrass?

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I’m not saying this to absolve us of anything we do or not do as homeschool parents, but through my experience as a homeschool parent, a teacher, observing experiences of my friends, and just reading books like “Educated” by Tara Westover, I really think the majority of whether a person is educated or not depends on the student.- how absorptive their mind is, how much they thirst for knowledge, how much they want it.  Yes, the teacher, curriculum, and educational environment is important, but I don’t think it’s as crucial to the outcome as we like to believe. 

You're right, you're right, I know you're right.

(bonus points if you can identify the movie quote!)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I'm feeling this in certain areas with LL. You can lead a horse to water... after a while you're exhausted and the horse still won't drink and you start asking yourself if maybe you ought to just get out of the way and let the horse find it's own dang water. (not for everything, but it makes me re-examine what is really important)

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

You're right, you're right, I know you're right.

(bonus points if you can identify the movie quote!)

“He’s never gonna leave her....”

”You’re right, you’re right.... I know you’re right.”

Carrie Fischer in “When Harry Met Sally.”🤣

• Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I'm feeling this in certain areas with LL. You can lead a horse to water... after a while you're exhausted and the horse still won't drink and you start asking yourself if maybe you ought to just get out of the way and let the horse find it's own dang water. (not for everything, but it makes me re-examine what is really important)

Same here.

• Like 3