Menu

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

So Renai, a Scout leader was telling us that a few years ago when he was on a Philmont trek, it hailed so much that they had to use the snowplows to clear the streets in Cimarron.  In July!  Svengo.

Our latest snow has been May. It was right before Mother's Day. There's a reason our planting date isn't until May 15... But hail, yeah, it's rare we get a lot like that but when we do, watch out! I've never been to Cimarron. [pulls up Google maps to figure out the distance and direction...]

Oooohhhhh....B.O.O.Y.A.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 193.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

How's Throw Up Baby?

Loud.

56 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd17 is gearing up for NaNoWriMo.  I think she has been working on the outline at least for several weeks.  It's hard to believe this is the last week of October!

We started early to be done by Thanksgiving. I think this might be a regular thing for us.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Junie said:

Cheater!

I remember reading the nanowrimo guy's book and getting to the part where he says November is a great month for it bc of time off at Thanksgiving and thinking "you sound like the kind of guy who brings home dirty laundry when he visits his parents."

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
29 minutes ago, Junie said:

Cheater!

We often have guests at Thanksgiving and he doesn't do well with breaks in routine so I wanted to try this out. It actually works better with our school year, too, so I plan to stick with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Slache said:

We often have guests at Thanksgiving and he doesn't do well with breaks in routine so I wanted to try this out. It actually works better with our school year, too, so I plan to stick with it.

I was just giving you a hard time. 😉

Totally understand about breaks in routine.  It's why we school year round.

I had a kid who insisted on doing homeschool on Christmas morning before opening presents because it's what you're supposed to do after breakfast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Junie said:

I was just giving you a hard time. 😉

Totally understand about breaks in routine.  It's why we school year round.

I had a kid who insisted on doing homeschool on Christmas morning before opening presents because it's what you're supposed to do after breakfast.

I know.

Heavens to Murgatroyd!

• Like 3

I’m in bed. DH checked in. They saw Surrender Field. Looked like a regular field to me. They have an early day tomorrow, they are driving in to DC.  Dodgers won. I think I may serve creamed onions for Thanksgiving. I found a yummy looking recipe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

I took puppy on a walk.  Alone.  In the dark.  In the rain. (Dh has had a headache since Friday night and I knew he would need to sleep in.)

Creamed onions sounds very Thanksgivingy.  What's your recipe?  I normally wouldn't consider it because of dh's general aversion to onions that aren't cooked to death, but what with his recent conversion to pickles, it might be worth a try! 😂

Dd17 is going to attend classes as part of the "college days" this morning - I am not sure if I will be going with her or not.  I need to pick up a couple things for Scouts tonight and I forgot to get Italian deli meats and cheeses and wraps for Wed. night dinner.

Tonight dh and I will be driving to the university to attend the ceremony for dd22 being inducted into the nursing honor society.  It will be a late night, I expect.

College Classes start in 40 minutes - I'd better get a move on!

Coffee!

• Like 3

Morning.   I'm already at the science center at 8:21 am because dh's car is in the shop and this is his first day back at the office in two weeks so we had to drop him off.   Ds gets to stay home since his entire class is on quarantine and we're doing that class by Zoom.  Dd came with me for her class but there will be only 3 here in person.    

My teacher is meeting me here at 9am so we can discuss seating arrangements.  I'm trying to come up with a way to spread the kids in class out a little bit more.  My class is mostly spaced out, which is why only 3 had to quarantine (plus siblings) but her room is smaller and the nature of her classes also means she can't set them up the way mine are.  I don't have to be able to reach all the seats easily, she does.   I'm not sure there is going to be a solution, we may just have to stick with what we are doing with maybe a little additional separation.  

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Monday!!!😩😩😩😩

I slept well. I definitely need a much cooler room than DH.

School and work today.

Susan, I will see what I can do about that recipe. It’s in my Thanksgiving book  “Thanksgiving 101” by Rick Rodgers. I love that book. Lots of stories and good recipes and ideas. 

DH texted me that they were on their way to Monticello. I am quite envious.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

Morning. Other than a kind of sad and disgusting thing I had to deal earlier, I think it's going to be a nice, rainy day. We really, really need the rain.

I'm in for NaNoWriMo this year as usual. I am not a writer who outlines, so my getting ready has been increasing my word count to fit the time I will have to work on story. Sometimes I do character work in October if I'm not working on anything else, but it's so rare that I'm not writing something. This month I'm finishing up a sequel to something else. Should finish this week.

Thanksgiving will probably not be a full week break for us this year as I'm taking this week off. But I'll see how I feel when I get there. We might take it off if the weather looks amazing for hiking.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, Spudater said:

You're back!

I didn't actually mean to LEAVE leave. I pm'd Helpdesk to ask how to go about it if I decided to and they promptly deleted my account. Lol.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3
25 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I didn't actually mean to LEAVE leave. I pm'd Helpdesk to ask how to go about it if I decided to and they promptly deleted my account. Lol.

Action Jackson!

Dh has been trying to contact the guy who was handling our refinance since we hadn't heard from him in a couple weeks.  He emailed, and texted, and finally emailed another agent over the weekend.  This morning he got an email from that agent, a call from the regional manager, and emails from the guy and we still don't know what happened but I have a feeling someone is in big trouble but at least they are again working on the refinance.

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I think they might have been a smidge overwhelmed.

• Like 3

EdPo:

Any of you use or have opinions on Life of Fred? I'm looking for SOMETHING Oldest will DO for math. CLE and R&S are what we've used so far. He seems to do better with mastery but HATES to write anything in any subject. He LOVES reading, so thought maybe this would work?

16 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

Any of you use or have opinions on Life of Fred? I'm looking for SOMETHING Oldest will DO for math. CLE and R&S are what we've used so far. He seems to do better with mastery but HATES to write anything in any subject. He LOVES reading, so thought maybe this would work?

It was blah. An unacceptable core curriculum and a waste of time as a supplement. Others disagree with me. John thought it was fun but learned nothing. We do Saxon and he writes directly in the book. If I wanted mastery I would have done Math Mammoth.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

What about doing the placement tests for Beast Academy, seeing if he likes it, and doing it online?

21 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

What grade? What do you want?

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

It was blah. An unacceptable core curriculum and a waste of time as a supplement. Others disagree with me. John thought it was fun but learned nothing. We do Saxon and he writes directly in the book. If I wanted mastery I would have done Math Mammoth.

Thanks. Good to know and moving on....

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

What about doing the placement tests for Beast Academy, seeing if he likes it, and doing it online?

Online is not an option.

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

What grade? What do you want?

He's in fourth grade.

29 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

I should say just see Slache's post.  I think Life of Fred is cool for adults who already know math and enjoy the different way of looking at it and some of the story line.  It's definitely not enough practice for a young learner.  

I would find what you think works best and cut back work load until it's comfortable and then start gradually increasing it again to build stamina.  You could do this by splitting the lesson over two days or by doing some orally and some written, but gradually increasing the written amount.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks. Good to know and moving on....

Online is not an option.

He's in fourth grade.

Hmmm. You're being difficult. I'm very religious about not switching math in the younger years so I say do what Lynn said. Also, white board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, I am not a fan of switching Iin the younger years either, unless you have no choice because it just ain't working. We used CLE until it started moving at warp speed last year and we had to switch to something slower paced. Remember, he was a year ahead in everything until last year? Enter R&S. He's done much better retention-wise, but it is absolute drudgery and some days he just outright refuses- even on the white board that we use daily in Math and English. I thought about Saxon but after CLE, I have a hard time believing spiral would be a good fit for him.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Yep, I am not a fan of switching Iin the younger years either, unless you have no choice because it just ain't working. We used CLE until it started moving at warp speed last year and we had to switch to something slower paced. Remember, he was a year ahead in everything until last year? Enter R&S. He's done much better retention-wise, but it is absolute drudgery and some days he just outright refuses- even on the white board that we use daily in Math and English. I thought about Saxon but after CLE, I have a hard time believing spiral would be a good fit for him.

Hmmmm, do you think it's giving him more practice than he needs?  Could you teach the lesson, have him do the odds.  Next day, teach the next lesson and do odds.  Third day, do evens from the first lesson.  4th day, teach a lesson and do odds.  5th day, do the evens from the 2nd lesson and the 3rd lesson - but do some out loud and some on the white board.  I don't know.  Maybe there's a less complicated way to bounce back and forth so he gets review and it feels less tedious, but it's still basically a mastery approach.    

• Like 1

One of my kids liked Life of Fred as a supplement for a period of time.  It worked for her.  We didn't it to have a mastery approach - we had other curricula for that.  I was able to get LOF from our library.  It allowed me to try it out without putting out any money. 

• Like 3