Menu

Ignore this thread!

53 minutes ago, Slache said:

Hi! I'm here! I got in cuz I was tagged. I'm exhausted.

I am good at pairing one mindful thing with one mindless thing, like tutoring math and dishes or directing in the kitchen while I fold in the dining room.

You are not multitasking. You are task switching very rapidly. Each time costs the brain a few tenths of a second, so it isn't really noticeable. It can take up to 40 percent longer to complete tasks when done this way, however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!

I can't believe it's taken this long to get here!  I went to a couple stores in search of some things for Easter breakfast (resurrection biscuits) and dinner.  I think I found the things.  Everything else I can get at Aldi tomorrow.  We're having ribeye steak, Easter Crown bread (made by dd12), broccoli raisin salad, sweet potato fries with sriracha dip and "Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding" for dessert.

The kids are expecting an Easter egg hunt.  Aren't they getting too old for this?   I wonder if we could gather up some of the younger neighbor kids and set up one for them.   

Story time already!  We're reading On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson.

Coffee!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am beyond excited to be scheduled for the first covid vaccine in a little more than a week. 

Yay! DH and I are scheduled for tomorrow. We'll have to drive more than an hour each way, but otherwise I think we'd be stuck waiting at least a few more weeks.

• Like 5

On journals. I keep them and have for years. I don't mind if my kids read them when I die. They knew their mother was weird, and maybe it will help them to know exactly why. LOL.

But I don't think I would wish to read other people's journals and letters. 

It's cold. 

I want spring back.

ETA: Blackberry Winter booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Carolina Wren said:

Yay! DH and I are scheduled for tomorrow. We'll have to drive more than an hour each way, but otherwise I think we'd be stuck waiting at least a few more weeks.

Dh got his in the first wave (health care worker).  Today was the first day that I was eligible.  I struck out more locally but then called my health care provider in the Big City.  They have their own vaccine site.  I was on hold and told myself that I would give them 30 minutes to come on the line before hanging up.  Just at the thirty minute line exactly, someone answered.  I am actually glad that I can get it through them because they have access to my very complicated medical history (the scheduler had my chart open even while we scheduled the vaccine appointment) and I feel more confident that they could help me if the need arises - more than a local pharmacy. 

• Like 6

Sheet pan herb chicken and mushrooms with rice for dinner.  Then we all have rehearsal for Good Friday/Easter Sunday services.  Our kids all agreed to play for everything this year since they are trying to limit the number of musicians in close contact, and we can fill out the special service music needs pretty well, along with a few others who have also been playing for services regularly for the past year.  We are about the only family involved who has not had the plague, to our knowledge.  I have no idea how it's possible, considering the many many many times we have all been directly exposed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday Eve.  Coffee is going fast.  So is dd's spring break.  I should really be getting more done.  

Diaries - I don't keep one for all the aforementioned reasons.  The "boundary keeper" in me would say no to reading someone else's, the "historian" in me would say it's a shame to just toss them.  So, I guess it would depend on whose it was.  I think I would be more inclined to read a grandparent's than a parent's.  I don't think I would read a sibling's at all.  #felpful

• Like 4

Morning.  Happy Thursday!  Another week almost done.

I occasionally keep a dairy/journal, when something happens that I feel the need to write it down.  I'm super bad at keeping up with them unless it's an unusual tense situation.   In the cases where I do keep one, since the main purpose is just to get things out, I write very quickly in a very messy handwriting.  That way I don't have to worry about anyone else reading it because I can barely read my handwriting when its like that.  I can guarantee nobody else is going to be able to interpret it. 

DD and I didn't meet today because she had a doctors appointment.   I've been doing a short walk every morning even when I don't meet with her.   The entire loop is 1/2 mile but it's got some fairly steep hills which I'm trying to build up my tolerance for.   And I'm doing tai chi every morning.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  Happy April Fools Day!

And a Blessed Maundy Thursday!

Lynn, that's how I feel about diaries.  The couple times I have kept a diary they have been read by People and so part of me feels an inclination to revenge.  However, those people don't keep diaries so it would be sorta pointless, lol.

High school kids have tutorial on zoom today.  I need to go to Aldi and hike hills again.     Dh and I are helping with music for Maundy Thursday service tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Renai said:

You are not multitasking. You are task switching very rapidly. Each time costs the brain a few tenths of a second, so it isn't really noticeable. It can take up to 40 percent longer to complete tasks when done this way, however.

I've been thinking on this. I realized why I do what I do. Take tutoring math and dishes. Tutoring math is 45 minutes, but only 10 of those minutes are actual work, so tutoring math is a waste of 35 minutes. If I do dishes and tutor there are those losses of a second or two every time I switch tasks, but it's still a gain of 34 minutes. So, not multitasking, but efficient. Interesting.

13 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yesterday I got another small section finished on my weeding.

I thought this said wedding. I know I've been out a lot, but sheesh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The Two Youngest have spent the morning booby-trapping the house.  There was a large pile of stuffed animals that was supposed to fall on my head when I came in from Aldi, but the scotch tape held too well to the ceiling, lol.

I think I will plan to go hill hiking at 1:00.  I am really pushing myself to do this at least 5 times a week for the next two weeks because after that I will have to go a couple weeks with no real exercise.  That will give me only 6 more weeks to build up some major leg and cardio strength before the backpacking trip.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Looks like state guidelines say that we can sleep in cabins in camp as long as we keep each cabin as a "cohort".  This is a huge answer to prayer. 

That's awesome!!

Camp camp-caaaaaammmp!  Campity-caaaaaaammmmp!!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Slache said:

I've been thinking on this. I realized why I do what I do. Take tutoring math and dishes. Tutoring math is 45 minutes, but only 10 of those minutes are actual work, so tutoring math is a waste of 35 minutes. If I do dishes and tutor there are those losses of a second or two every time I switch tasks, but it's still a gain of 34 minutes. So, not multitasking, but efficient. Interesting.

Yep, they’re done shackin’ up. They’re gonna make it official!!🤣

Just kidding, Jeannie!!

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday! (Already!)

The week seems to be flying by and I am not sure what I've accomplished.

I know exactly what I´ve accomplished: Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

8 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. My state opened up for kids 16 and up to get vaccinated. So now I get to start the hunt for vaccine for my kids. Got a lead on a place in town to check out here when they open.

As of this upcoming Monday, our state is also open to 16 and up. Since my child is under 16, however, it doesn't apply to our family...😅

7 hours ago, Slache said:

Yes, there are some things I can task switch on, but as a probably-undiagnosed ADHD adult, it is an unwise decision. Put ADHD Gymnast and ADHD Maestra Renai together, and neither tutoring or dishes will get done...well maybe 2 hours later. 0% gain. 🤣

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Also, @Renai I am super duper excited to have the opportunity to visit and hike in your beautiful state. 😊

Yay! When will you get here?

25 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I have an appointment for my first vaccine tomorrow afternoon.  Yippee.  That will give me until Monday to deal with any side effects.  Hopefully that's long enough.

Which one are you getting? I had the Pfizer and most side effects happened on the day after (mine was on a Tuesday, around 12:30pm). I was able to still teach the same day, and the next day was a lighter day, so I could nap in between classes. I went to bed early, about 8pm. But, I work online and don't have to deal with another environment and kids in person. It was mostly fatigue (mostly gone by the 3rd day), a half-cracked migraine (gone same day), body aches lasted a few days, and controllable wacky high blood pressure. There were other things, but nothing kept me from working all week.

You will probably be fine by Monday - I was mostly fine after three days and I'm a wimp.😂

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Yep, they’re done shackin’ up. They’re gonna make it official!!🤣

Just kidding, Jeannie!!

After 28 years I think that we would qualify for being a common law marriage.

Oops.  I got curious and looked this up.  My state doesn't recognize common law marriage.  Gotta make it legal! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Renai said:

Which one are you getting? I had the Pfizer and most side effects happened on the day after (mine was on a Tuesday, around 12:30pm). I was able to still teach the same day, and the next day was a lighter day, so I could nap in between classes. I went to bed early, about 8pm. But, I work online and don't have to deal with another environment and kids in person. It was mostly fatigue (mostly gone by the 3rd day), a half-cracked migraine (gone same day), body aches lasted a few days, and controllable wacky high blood pressure. There were other things, but nothing kept me from working all week.

You will probably be fine by Monday - I was mostly fine after three days and I'm a wimp.😂

Pretty sure I'm getting Pfizer.  I'm going to the same location Dh went and I think they are only doing Pfizer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slache said:

Yep.  

54 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

If I wasn’t going to be a CIA operative, I think I would have liked to play keyboard in a 1970’s rock band. 

Maybe I could do both. Playing keyboard could be my cover. Hmmm, I never thought of that.

My dad did that. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Adventures in gardening:

One of my neighbors is going to dig out the unwanted curbside tree this weekend!  He understands that it’s a Japanese maple but I don’t know what kind. And he understands that it might not have enough of a rootball to survive.   But he’s a sucker for unwanted trees so he’s going to chance it. 

I worked on cleaning out the dead wood on a hydrangea that I half killed before I figured out the proper way to prune them. So now it’s only half there but I am hoping that by clearing out the dead stuff that the new shoots coming up will have room to fill out the bush. Cue Biblical metaphor. 

• Like 5

Morning.  So glad it's Friday.   I hope my vaccine doesn't hit me too hard because I have a LOT of work to do this weekend and with Sunday being Easter, my work time is already going to be less.   I didn't really think of that when I scheduled, but since my new session starts next week I have a lot of plans to refine, new rosters to do, etc.    Worse comes to worse, I'll do the minimum I can get away with it and work really hard next weekend.  

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

A Blessed Good Friday to you all!!

I’m taking the kids to the beach today. I wish DH could come, too, but he couldn’t get off work. I hate the drive, but it will be fine. Everyone’s allergies are going bonkers, so some fresh sea air will be quite welcome.

• Like 3

Good morning!

We were late to the pre-service rehearsal.  Ugh.  The schedule we were sent said 5:30  but it started at 5.  I should have known better.  The services were wonderful as usual.  

Today is a busy day.  I'm taking Pup to the dog park for a few minutes to get out some energy before going to the obedience class.  I need to IP some eggs for coloring.  Then this afternoon I will help dd12 with the Easter crown bread and we'll color eggs and make resurrection biscuits.  I wonder if I can make the broccoli raisin salad a day ahead?  I'll check on that.

Coffee!

• Like 4