Menu

What's with the ads?

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I know what you mean. Sadly, most of my thoughts are about homeschooling materials lately. I just started a thread on the K-8 board which should be fairly benign. 

I almost posted in the kiddie pool today, but I'm undecided in so many subjects that I don't know where to begin. I felt awful after I thought I offended everyone EdPo'ing the other day, so I'm personally making a conscious effort not to anymore. I really do get some of my best curriculum ideas here on ITT, though, so I enjoy reading them. It helps me plan and exposes me to some ideas and curriculums I've never heard of before.

3 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I am changing some of this morning's <hearts> to afternoon LOLs.   Amazing what a few cups of coffee will do for me.

All three girls helped with sanding and mudding the wall this morning, so it took 3x longer than it would have otherwise.  But we are done for the day, and showered, and eating a very late tuna wrap with blue chips lunch.  (Except I'm the only one who likes tuna wraps, so the rest are eating.... just blue chips.  Oh well.)

Tonight is Chick-Fil-A! at the mall.  Brought to you by Grandma and her Christmas gift cards to the kids.   Except I'm really not a breaded chicken fan, and since they kicked chicken salad off the menu, I never know what to get.  Seems a bit of a sacrilege, but I may wander over to Cheesecake Factory and get some cow takeout for myself instead. 

Does Chick-fil-A still make chicken skewers? I don't think they were breaded, but grilled? It's been years, but they were sooo good!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

Youngest has decided it is time for dinner NOW. He carried his step stool over to the counter and pulled his bowl of food and a fork down. So much for letting it cool off, first. I managed to convince him to bring it to the dinner table by offering him apple juice. I still can't get over how good he is at eating without making a mess. I don't think Oldest could use a fork for actual eating until he was much older.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Youngest has decided it is time for dinner NOW. He carried his step stool over to the counter and pulled his bowl of food and a fork down. So much for letting it cool off, first. I managed to convince him to bring it to the dinner table by offering him apple juice. I still can't get over how good he is at eating without making a mess. I don't think Oldest could use a fork for actual eating until he was much older.

...and just because this is the kind of day I'm having, Youngest decided today is the day to make a fashion statement by dual purposing his dinner bowl as a hat. Sigh.

• Haha 3

Speaking of chicken for dinner: I overcooked the orange chicken so now it is too crunchy for me. The boys are eating it, though. Captain never eats it anyway. The Girl says she is still full from the soup a while ago. Scotsman isn't home yet, but I know he will eat it, too.

Youth Night tonight. I'm going with The Girl so she will focus. I think she is really too young/immature to be going yet. Career Night. or we may ditch and go to Chick-fil-A. I love their Cobb salad. Ducky, you can order it with grilled chicken instead of the breaded.

Wanna know something I figured out? My ears itch like mad when I drink Barq's root beer. I love root beer. I haven't discovered if it is an all soda thing or not as I don't like other sodas. And red dye in drinks/foods makes me sick.

Edited by Paradox5
typos galore
  • Like 4

The DMV was shockingly fast. 🤯 Only two people ahead of me!  I came home and made cookies and lesson planned. Oh, and I did order that dress and it came today and it fits!💃  Also today came adorable ballet look baby socks. 😍

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Spudater said:

The DMV was shockingly fast. 🤯 Only two people ahead of me!  I came home and made cookies and lesson planned. Oh, and I did order that dress and it came today and it fits!💃  Also today came adorable ballet look baby socks. 😍

I want THIS kind of day. This was one of those days when I seriously question my ability to homeschool for the long haul. I had to all but drag Oldest through his schoolwork kicking and screaming. Dude, you have to write stuff. It's just part of life and it's not negotiable. It's a three sentence paragraph where the text gives the sentences, you put them in order, and copy them down as a paragraph. Big whoop. You'd have thought I just demanded a 5 page essay single spaced with half inch margins in a size 10 font.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

Had two really wonderful meetings. These are some very wonderful Christians who are so wise and funny and hard working. We have some really neat ideas for this year’s camp (like escape rooms!) and I am psyched. Then at the end I got a bit teary as I shared some details from what has been an extremely tough year. 

I am on my way home. Stopped at a farm store in the middle of honest to goodness farm country and was amazed at the cool bunny toys. lol. Picked some up for my grandbunnies. 😉

Now I am eating at the surprisingly gluten free restaurant in the middle of honest to goodness farm country. My sugars have been a bit high but not near as high as I thought they might get. 

• Like 11

This is just my two cents as one of the older more crotchety ITTers but I don’t really like it when people use ITT as a curriculum board. It has never had that function for me and FOR ME takes a bit away from the happiness of the thread. But ignore me at will. It is, after all what we do best. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I almost posted in the kiddie pool today, but I'm undecided in so many subjects that I don't know where to begin. I felt awful after I thought I offended everyone EdPo'ing the other day, so I'm personally making a conscious effort not to anymore. I really do get some of my best curriculum ideas here on ITT, though, so I enjoy reading them. It helps me plan and exposes me to some ideas and curriculums I've never heard of before.

Does Chick-fil-A still make chicken skewers? I don't think they were breaded, but grilled? It's been years, but they were sooo good!

I’m not a big grilled chicken fan either. I ended up grabbing soup at panera on the way. DH got a spicy chicken meal and all in all, we only went $2.08 over the gift cards. Woo-Hoo! I’m celebrating with a coffee, and guarding all the lemonade refills while the rest browse about in the Lego store.  (Our only chick FIL a is in a mall)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

This is just my two cents as one of the older more crotchety ITTers but I don’t really like it when people use ITT as a curriculum board. It has never had that function for me and FOR ME takes a bit away from the happiness of the thread. But ignore me at will. It is, after all what we do best. 

Well, we managed to survive 5 years without imitating the K-8 board...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I understand and respect this and will do my best to abide by it. Can I ask you what you consider an EdPo? So far, I've considered it to only be curriculum specific questions like the recent one that turned into 24hrs of discussion about Saxon. Do you consider the one I just posted upthread about having a rough school day with Oldest an EdPo? This will help me going forward.

Really successful, happy day today, so of course I’m exhausted and in pain. That’s the measure of good days, lol.

Woke up at ‘o dark thirty, made breakfast soufflés then kids and I took a day trip to the aquarium. Worth the four hours we spent in the car. They’ve never been to an aquarium before and eldest only vaguely remembers the ocean so all the critters were a completely new experience for them. They came home and immediately started drawing sea animals, reading about them or making models of them out of clay. Poor DH’s ears must still be buzzing with their tales of excitement.  I love days like today, but they make me whistful about not being a more energetic, healthier mom. I know I will spend the next three days recovering.

Edited by mms
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maize said:

Dd flies out early tomorrow morning.

She hasn't started packing yet.

She's instead spending the entire afternoon at the dojo going over her competition forms.

Which isn't a bad way to prepare for a competition but it does leave me feeling like *I* ought to be doing her packing for her.

ETA anxious mom booyah

The first time I flew by myself was across the ocean. With lay overs! It was only my second time flying. But, a few hours before my flight I had an anxiety attack and my mom and sister had to pack for me and almost force me on the plane. I’m so glad they did, it was a very necessary maturing experience.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I understand and respect this and will do my best to abide by it. Can I ask you what you consider an EdPo? So far, I've considered it to only be curriculum specific questions like the recent one that turned into 24hrs of discussion about Saxon. Do you consider the one I just posted upthread about having a rough school day with Oldest an EdPo? This will help me going forward.

Just my .02, but I think it makes sense to take lengthy or detailed discussions to the K-8 board or the DMs, but at the same time, we share about our lives on here, and most of us spend a third of our waking hours homeschooling, so we can’t cut out all mentions of homeschooling without stifling the normal vents or sharing of happy successes. Also I have a level of trust and respect for you guys I don’t have for the entire forum. 
i don’t know, I had an IRL friend that I was in a playgroup with. Most all of us were homeschoolers and when she decided it wasn’t working for her and that she wanted to send her children to school she asked us all not to talk about homeschooling any more (ftr, no one was saying anything negative about school) and it just made everything weird that we had to self-censor and hide such a huge part of our lives from her to maintain that friendship.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

Just my .02, but I think it makes sense to take lengthy or detailed discussions to the K-8 board or the DMs, but at the same time, we share about our lives on here, and most of us spend a third of our waking hours homeschooling, so we can’t cut out all mentions of homeschooling without stifling the normal vents or sharing of happy successes. Also I have a level of trust and respect for you guys I don’t have for the entire forum. 
i don’t know, I had an IRL friend that I was in a playgroup with. Most all of us were homeschoolers and when she decided it wasn’t working for her and that she wanted to send her children to school she asked us all not to talk about homeschooling any more (ftr, no one was saying anything negative about school) and it just made everything weird that we had to self-censor and hide such a huge part of our lives from her to maintain that friendship.

What an odd request. I can’t imagine asking my friends to censor what topics they talk about, unless it was done deeply divisive moral issue and then everyone would self-censor for friendships’ sake. Different strokes and all but sheesh.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

General stuff to do today.  Lessons, Aldi, library.  Dd17 starts an online class today.  The first online class I/we have ever done.  We'll see how it goes.

Coffee!

We’re getting an Aldi this summer. That means twenty minutes away instead of an hour! I think I will camp out for the opening the way people do for Star Wars movies. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, mms said:

What an odd request. I can’t imagine asking my friends to censor what topics they talk about, unless it was done deeply divisive moral issue and then everyone would self-censor for friendships’ sake. Different strokes and all but sheesh.

We all kind of nodded and smiled but we couldn’t really keep to it...I mean, we’re moms. If one of our kids is having trouble learning to read or won’t do their math, of course we anguish over it and want to be able to talk it over with our friends and ask for help. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Spudater said:

This. Several times I've posted something and the response was "John would/would not like such n such" or "that's not really your style". I'm not going to get that on the K-8 board. I do post a lot there, but I know if I have certain questions (like skipping pk for Alex) you guys are the ones to ask.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mms said:

We’re getting an Aldi this summer. That means twenty minutes away instead of an hour! I think I will camp out for the opening the way people do for Star Wars movies. 

As funny as this is, I totally understand because I do love Aldi and am so thankful for one close by.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

I want an ALDI! Just for the seed chips. I love the seed chips.

German pickles. They are awesome. Only carried seasonally, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Servant4Christ said:

As funny as this is, I totally understand because I do love Aldi and am so thankful for one close by.

We save so much money that it is worth it for me to drive twice a month into the nearest big city to get groceries at Aldi and Costco.  And it practically kills me to get staples locally on the off weeks or when life is too crazy to drag a van full of kids across the state.  An Aldi nearby will mean I only have to go once a month. That is huge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I've only been in Aldi's once.  There's one near my mom's house, which is about 15 minutes from me.   

I went in a Whole Foods today, for probably only the second time ever.  I think the previous time was a field trip with 4-H.   It was nice and clean (it's brand new so I would hope it would be clean) but expensive and didn't have normal brands.  It was funny because the only mainstream brand I saw was Ben & Jerry's.    I stopped in because it's very close to the science center.

• Like 1

I scrolled right by most of the Edpos.   I don't usually have much to contribute.  I only have older kids, we use only secular resources, and don't change things around much so I don't have that much experience with different things.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

They do not.  The original grilled chicken skewers were the best!  Now, their grilled chicken nuggets are plain nasty, and their grilled chicken breast is okay, but nowhere near as good as those skewers 

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

They do not.  The original grilled chicken skewers were the best!  Now, their grilled chicken nuggets are plain nasty, and their grilled chicken breast is okay, but nowhere near as good as those skewers 

That is just so sad. They we're really good. We don't have Chick-fil-A here so it's been a long time since I've eaten at one.

15 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I've only been in Aldi's once.  There's one near my mom's house, which is about 15 minutes from me.   

I went in a Whole Foods today, for probably only the second time ever.  I think the previous time was a field trip with 4-H.   It was nice and clean (it's brand new so I would hope it would be clean) but expensive and didn't have normal brands.  It was funny because the only mainstream brand I saw was Ben & Jerry's.    I stopped in because it's very close to the science center.

I've never been inside a Whole Foods before. I doubt there's one anywhere near us. If there was, I bet they would've had my elderberries. 😂

11 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Speaking of Whole Foods 🤭

I get this at GNC. I get my pre-workout there so that I can work out harder because I'm old and can't work out hard by myself and the guys that work there talk to me about raw versus cooked meat and how organics are sham and which vegetables will give you the most of certain types of protein, etc etc. It's like "Are you looking at who you're talking to? I have 3 children and I'm fat. I buy what's on sale."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No one has ever tried to make out with me at GNC. I will be sure to avoid Whole Foods.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

No. I consider rough school days just part of being there for each other. 

• Like 8

There is no Aldi in my entire state.

And we're out West where states are big.

When we moved here from California there weren't even any Trader Joe's in the state; that at been remedied though the closest to us is about an hour away. We go every time we drove down to the city because I really love Trader Joe's.

I keep hoping Aldi will decide to open a super here someday.

• Like 2

I think I went to Aldi once.  We have two Aldis nearby and I never go to either of them. 

:hiding:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I probably *should* go to Aldi.  But I never did figure out exactly how to use the store.

And grocery pick up is so easy.  And my grocery store where I get specialty items has sushi. :)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

I think I went to Aldi once.  We have two Aldis nearby and I never go to either of them. 

:hiding:

See, I think there are variations in Aldis. I’ve been to some that were really bad: wilted produce, prices no different than Walmart, etc. and I didn’t shop at Aldi for a long time because of it. But, the one I go to now has amazing quality produce, including organic, better than Costco or Walmart. But, it is in a location with five or six groceries within a two mile radius so maybe that contributes? 

• Like 3

Aldi is where I do my regular weekly grocery shopping.  For the occassional item they don't have I go to the Publix across the street or the Kroger that's a mile from my house.  I find it so much easier and calming to shop with fewer choices, and appreciate their efforts to stock foods that don't contain hfcs.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I only shop at Wal-Mart but I'm not that picky about gluten free. If I can't have a bun I'll add extra lettuce kind of thing. I don't think I enjoy food as much as other people because of my geographic tongue.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Basically it is anything I post even remotely related to school curriculum. I'm a terrible offender. I'm lucky I haven't been asked to leave.

Saying you had a bad or good school day is not EdPo.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mms said:

I've never been to an Aldi's, and I bet we do have them here in Houston.

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Only time I shopped at Whole Foods was for Captain's special baby formula. I've heard it referred to as "Whole Paycheck"!

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, so my iPad is doing this again. If this post is full of mistakes, forgive me, because if I back space even once to correct, the whole thing erases. It’s like the back spacer is demon possessed or something.

i am beat. I had a wonderful 2 hour conversation with one of my parents (mom of one of my students) She is so sweet and has had such an interesting life, but it just drains me to have those conversations. And then I had another conversation with a not terribly close friend. It was nice, but some people are just different than me. And 

• Like 6

EdPos (and DentalPos, and VomitPos, and Fill-in-the-BlankPos) all just started as a fun, tongue-in-cheek warning for a topic that those lounging on the shores of the ITT island might prefer to ignore. Because of course we specialize in ignoring.  

They don't bother me in the least.  Y'all truly have the best advice around. (And, hey! the occasional EdPo helps to validate the space we take up here on the Gen Ed Board, of all places. 😁) Just be forewarned:  EdPos out in K-8 will be taken seriously.... but here at ITT?  Well.....

....pretty much the only thing we take seriously is friendship.  And spelling. 

#h

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Krissi, I think your iPad wants to go to bed.  Nighty night!:smile:

It probably should. I need to read more about George HW Bush. I’m at the part where he meets Barbara.

It’s a Booya/h. In honor of President Bush.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

Serive, you won;'t see this until tomorrow morning, but I posted on your K-8 thread a nice long list of things for you to look up. You're welcome.

I really should go to sleep.

Did I tell you guys I found a 6 bedroom/3 bath house in Scotland with a great layout near where Scotsman's work will be at a price we could actually afford to rent it? Now all we need is for the company to get the contract, hire him, and move us before someone else snatches it up! Not gonna happen, but I can dream.

You know, they have seasons there? I haven't lived somewhere with actual seasons in more than 20 years. My kids never have. All those "do this acitivity in x season" could actually be done!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, so my iPad is doing this again. If this post is full of mistakes, forgive me, because if I back space even once to correct, the whole thing erases. It’s like the back spacer is demon possessed or something.

i am beat. I had a wonderful 2 hour conversation with one of my parents (mom of one of my students) She is so sweet and has had such an interesting life, but it just drains me to have those conversations. And then I had another conversation with a not terribly close friend. It was nice, but some people are just different than me. And 

Yes!  This is what mine does too!  Drives me nuts. 

• Like 2